The Point at Poipu

Board of Directors

Oct 15, 2011

There is a rumor out there that DRI has "internet sniffing" software that finds references in private emails to the their company and the names of any and all of their properties. THIS IS NOT TRUE! It is yet another blatant attempt to limit our ability to communicate with each other. If you email from a computer on their property or to a computer on their property is the ONLY way that they can monitor content. ONLY THE GOVERNMENT has that kind of capability post 9/11. These people will stop at nothing!

David L.
Oct 15, 2011

I just joined this site after reading this forum. I too am frustrated with increasing fees and decreasing availability. Last year I ended up staying on Maui because I couldn't get in at Poipu. Unfortunately, I am one of the owners who has not voted in the past, because it is hard to know who to vote for. At this point I would like to know what I can do to support any efforts to get this situation under control. Since it has been so frustrating to make reservations and now the fees have increased to the point they are interfering with other priorities in my life, I believe I need to figure out how to get out of ownership. Any help would be appreciated.

Curtis W.
Oct 15, 2011

Right now there is basically no way to get out. You can't even sell the timeshare without first paying the assessment. If you look at the resale prices at Redweek, the value is essentially zero. People will give them away to get out of paying.

Robert H.
Oct 16, 2011

Brief statement and owner website address on a business card would be easier to pass out at the resort with the increased surveillance on property. Far less obvious but could help our cause.

David L.
Oct 16, 2011

If DRI were a bank, the Federal Reserve would have shut them down long ago... Diamond Resorts cares very little for its members, they dislike the "Deeded Owners" as they stand in their way of total control without any hinderance from members, as they already have the "Points Members" controled... The ability to sell an unlimited number of memberships, far beyond the total units available X 52 weeks annually, is nothing short of a fraud, that makes a 'Ponzi Scheemer' jealous...

The fact that they lie to prospective buyers & existing members should not surprise anyone following the postings here at RedWeek.... The real shame is that not one official agency of any governmental body has taken action against this huge fraud taking place each day... The Hawaii Collection especially, the State of Hawaii has a huge potential problem with its image, for it has many Vacation Ownership companies that operate in this vacation state... The fact that Diamond is perpetrating this huge fraud, and that so many members have filed complaints, you would think that the State Attorney General would investigate their sales and business methods, as they clearly violate REAL ESTATE LAWS OF FULL DISCLOSURE...

Michael D.
Oct 17, 2011

I have created a facebook page for owners. Please join and we can begin to create an owner list. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=fl_2246983746415#!/pages/Point-of-Poipu-Angry-Owners/148027451960608

Tammy S.
Oct 17, 2011

Try this link instead...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Point-of-Poipu-Angry-Owners/148027451960608

Tammy S.
Oct 17, 2011

We bought a one bed room unit in Diamond Resorts Maui Kaanapali Beach Club for one week in July 2009 under Hawai Collection. We just received in mail that we have a maintence fee of $2434.53 for 2012. Part of the fee of $1103.73 for the Point at Poipu for water intrusion assessment. The Diamond Resorts CEO and management already know the water intrusion several years ago before we bought our unit. But Diamond did not disclose to us that we are liable to pay for the Poipu water intrusion repairs of $25,356,399 for 2012 budget. We don't know how Diamond Resorts arrive for the assessment for other non-Poipu owners for the fees including the owners from Kaanapali Beach Club, the Villas at Polo Towers, and Sedona Summit Resort. We must file a complaint against Diamond Resorts. We all must ask for their records. This is totally unfair and illegal for selling the time share units without disclose the major defects to the buyers. We must work together to get this problem resolved from Diamond. If we don't pay the water intrustion fee, we may face the collection and down grading of our credit. What Can we do together?

Edward L.
Oct 18, 2011

The only way they stopped Capone was with the IRS.........

Keith P.

Last edited by kpaul5257 on Jan 29, 2012 02:54 PM

Oct 18, 2011

Ask DRI questions when you go to the meetings.

Keith P.

Last edited by kpaul5257 on Jan 29, 2012 02:55 PM

Oct 19, 2011

I would also like to know the impact of doing one building per year on the overall costs. I'd rather pay $1k per year for 10 years than $11k over the next three and the effect of only having one building unavailable would mean that fewer of us would have to give up our weeks because no units are available.

Tom V.
Oct 19, 2011

As an owner for over 12 years and buying this as a so called investment, as the sales pitch goes, we have seen this continue to get out of hand. This assesment brings it to a new level that many families will not be able to pay. We also attended the presentation on the switching over to weeks and although we we did not understand how this would benefit us, we were made to feel like we were idiots for not switching. They even brought the sales manager in to close and he acted like we were the only ones not switching over. Now I find out that if we would had switched we would have lost our voting rights and handed them over to DRI. This whole thing smells bad!! Please keep us posted as to what happens in the meeting. We are definitely willing to join a group to fight this.

Robert A.

Last edited by roberta858 on Oct 19, 2011 05:06 PM

Oct 20, 2011

OWNERS - Please join this facebook page to help unite us!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Point-of-Poipu-Angry-Owners/148027451960608

Tammy S.
Oct 21, 2011

I just got off the phone with the DRI Loss Mitigation Dept. Diamond no longer accepts units back for $250. They did up until July 2011 but have stopped. So if you thought you might do that as I read in LaurieB214's post, it will not happen.

Linda N.
Oct 21, 2011

We attended the information meting held by DRI on 10/19/11 at the Atrium Hotel in Irvine. They have a detailed presentation of the Poipu water intrusion problems and the plan to repair them and detailed cost break down starting with the cost at the Poipu AOA level and passed down to the Hawaii Collection level. They promise to release the presentation in the DRI website or the DiamondResortsHOA.com website. This meeting was for the member of the Hawaii Collection members only. About 50 members showed up and there were over a dozen DRI employees there to cover all bases. They claimed there was a meeting for the week owners at Poipu earlier and there were heated discussions of the repairs issues. The main issue for the collection members is that unless your share of the special assessment is over $2000 you have to pay it up front in the dues for 2012. Since the average collection member has 8500 points, 90% of the members cannot spread their assessment over the 5 year repair period. This is assuming that the repairs is the right approach and the budget is correct with all the overhead added. Hawaii collection members should study the documents (Exhibits) came with their 2012 bill and find out more information from the Diamond websites. We hope members in N. California attended the 10/20/11 meeting in San Francisco and those who attend the up coming Annual member meeting in Las Vegas can report their concerns here in this forum.

Edward L.
Oct 21, 2011

As with most of the people above, I can't believe that DRI can do this to all of us. We own weeks and I didn't know that the points owners across all the timeshares were also being assessed for the damage at Poipu due to management not maintaining upkeep. We also own weeks just down the road from Poipu and there are similar problems with the structures there as well. Rather than having all the owners pay an assessment, they decided to take out a loan and pay the loan with the money made from the repossess weeks as I recall. I know I haven't been following close enough and we will have a difficult time trying to pay the assessment so you now have my attention.

Cherie B.
Oct 22, 2011

When I spoke to DRI they said that they were going to sue for collection of the assessments as well as legal costs and late fees. The woman I talked to went to great lengths to persuade me that my best option was to pay up or they would do their best to collect a lot more from me than the $11k assessment.

Tom V.
Oct 22, 2011

I think we need to start off with some sort of court order to put a hold on both collections and the repairs. Any lawyers in the group?

I spoke to my insurance agent. He is amazed that the insurance company has refused the claim. If it isn't ground water then it isn't flood damage and that would be their only legal stance.

I'd like to see the documentation on the refusal, as well as our insurance policy.

Tom V.
Oct 22, 2011

We were aghast at receiving notification out of the blue of the extraordinary assessment, The most recent limited information available was in the January 2011 HOA Board minutes about the water intrusion problem. This seems to us to be a problem of faulty construction of the resort, for which there should be some recourse for payment by the original contractor. Our concern in addition to the current assessment is that it won't stop here. What are the consequences of not paying our fees, walking away, and just being in default?

We believe there are HOA meetings coming up where owners reaction as well as suggestions should be communicated. We're going to see how that can be done-ultimately if there is legal advice available about options, that would be great.

For DRI, this an enormous public relations issue and a horrible reflection on the organization's management ability and failure to communicate. But where is the line drawn between DRI's responsibility and that of our HOA Board? We could really benefit from some legal advice before individually taking action. As far as we know, this is unprecedented in the time share industry.

Carolyn B.
Oct 23, 2011

If it is faulty construction, then the statute of limitations in Hawaii is only two year. Way too long ago to do anything about that even if the contractor was still in business. For legal action against DRI we need to act as a group. Perhaps the best action there is against the previous HOA Boards for their failure to properly maintain the buildings.

As you might guess, DRI isn't about to take that one on. There is also the issue of Conflict of Interest. The argument was made at the meetings that these decisions aren't made by DRI but by our HOA Board. I guess that is true, except that DRI holds a majority of the HOA Board.

The only way to find out what is really happening and change things is to get DRI out by having everyone vote and vote for non-DRI candidates.

I intend to run again this year.

Robert H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.