Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Jul 08, 2009

Two years ago I was contacted by a Danny Bregado from GMAC. He seemed like an honest professional,his number was real, his address was real but what he promised was not. First of all we talked the up front fee down from 1200 to 500....that's already not good business. GMAC said they would have my property sold within 90 days he assured me he had interested buyers and could have an offer to me by the weekend. A year has passed, no sale, no report back nothing but high interest on the credit card we used to pay the fee. All I can say is that money cant buy happiness and that when I fall asleep at night I have a clean conscience, thats more than I can sayfor Danny Bregado and GMAC.

Erika A.
Jul 08, 2009

alexm97 wrote:
I was contacted by GMAC to sell my timeshare and they asked me for an enrollment fee of $1,200. Is this good?

Two years ago I was contacted by a Danny Bregado from GMAC. He seemed like an honest professional,his number was real, his address was real but what he promised was not. First of all we talked the up front fee down from 1200 to 500....that's already not good business. GMAC said they would have my property sold within 90 days he assured me he had interested buyers and could have an offer to me by the weekend. A year has passed, no sale, no report back nothing but high interest on the credit card we used to pay the fee. All I can say is that money cant buy happiness and that when I fall asleep at night I have a clean conscience, thats more than I can sayfor Danny Bregado and GMAC.

Erika A.
Jul 08, 2009

Has anyone ever tried selling through intervalvacations.net? Is it a bad idea?

Erika A.
Jul 08, 2009

I just called this company and Jeff told me my Vistana timeshare was worth $22,000 to $24,000. He said he would be working a function this weekend and probably get it sold then. He gave me the same line of bull all of the advertising companies give. Where would I like my check sent for $22,000 to my home or business. etc etc. I can name two very large advertising companies that do the same thing and talk about how many sales are made. What they don't tell you is you pay an upfront fee to them and then you pay a Broker a commission to sell the unit for what it should have been listed for to begin with. If you pay it ahead of time you are crazy.. I can't believe people even ask the question any longer.

Judi Kozlowski - Re/Max P.
Jul 12, 2009

Anyone know anything about; buy owner resort marketing?

Karen A.
Jul 12, 2009

EVER HEARD OF BUY OWNER RESORT MARKETING?

Karen A.
Jul 12, 2009

judik7 wrote:
I just called this company and Jeff told me my Vistana timeshare was worth $22,000 to $24,000. He said he would be working a function this weekend and probably get it sold then.

Do you really believe this bull these people come up with!

You can buy a Vistana two bedroom today off of Tug bargan basement for $500.00 float weeks with mf of $658 or another for $1.00 for a town house in the Courts section.

PHILL12

Phil L.
Jul 12, 2009

phill12 wrote:
judik7 wrote:
I just called this company and Jeff told me my Vistana timeshare was worth $22,000 to $24,000. He said he would be working a function this weekend and probably get it sold then.

You can buy a Vistana two bedroom today off of Tug bargan basement for $500.00 float weeks with mf of $658 or another for $1.00 for a town house in the Courts section.

PHILL12

Also you can buy the same on Ebay all day long.

R P.
Jul 12, 2009

jayjay wrote:
phill12 wrote:
judik7 wrote:

PHILL12

Also you can buy the same on Ebay all day long.

Jul 12, 2009

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1129760.html Looks like The State of North Carolina is stepping up to the plate.

Jul 12, 2009

.NC judge grants request to halt telemarketer calls The Associated Press RALEIGH, N.C. -- A North Carolina judge has granted a request from the attorney general's office to temporarily ban a Florida company from making false claims to timeshare owners.

Wake County Superior Court Judge Shannon R. Joseph granted Attorney General Roy Cooper's request to temporarily ban Premier Timeshare Vacations, Inc. of Clearwater, Fla., also doing business as Paradise Marketing Group, from making telemarketing calls to North Carolina residents.

Cooper's complaint alleges that Premier made unsolicited telemarketing calls claiming it had buyers, but that the timeshare owner must agree to a contract and pay an upfront fee before the sale was complete. If the owner agreed, the telemarketer would transfer the owner to a verification department which recorded the owner giving permission to charge their credit card for up to $5,000.

Jul 12, 2009

Court Rules in Landmark Case on Timeshare Advanced Listing Fees and Unlicensed Real Estate Activity Save Email Print

A | A | A DBPR Press Release:

TALLAHASSEE—Last Thursday concluded an 11-year court battle over timeshare advanced listing fees and the unlicensed practice of real estate by an out-of-state entity. In Department of Business and Professional Regulation v. Stroman Realty, Inc., Case No. 37 1998 CA 000490, Leon County Circuit Court Judge P. Kevin Davey ruled that a Florida real estate license is required for all transactions involving timeshare real estate property located in Florida and where the seller of the timeshare real estate interest resides in Florida. The court also ruled that the collection of advanced listing fees from Florida residents, regardless of the location of the property, and owners of Florida timeshares is prohibited.

The court retained jurisdiction to decide whether there should be penalties imposed, and if so, what would be the appropriate amount of penalties, including reimbursement to those complainants who filed a complaint with the department before the close of the trial.

The two issues at the heart of the matter are the 1995 legislation, Section 721.20(6), Florida Statutes, that prohibits the collection of any advance fee for the listing of any timeshare estate or timeshare license, and the requirement that any seller of a timeshare plan be a licensed real estate broker, broker associate or sales associate as defined in Section 475.01, Florida Statutes.

The department’s mission is to license efficiently and regulate fairly. The department licenses more than one million businesses and professionals ranging from real estate agents, veterinarians, and accountants to contractors and cosmetologists. For more information, please visit MyFloridaLicense.com.

Jul 13, 2009

Looks like the heat is on .... hopefully the domino affect will follow for ALL upfront fee resale scam companies.

R P.
Jul 14, 2009

judik7 wrote:
The court also ruled that the collection of advanced listing fees from Florida residents, regardless of the location of the property, and owners of Florida timeshares is prohibited.
I hope the ruling wasn't so vague where it would prevent resale websites like myresortnetwork or redweek from charging a fee to list one's TS.

Mike N.
Jul 14, 2009

Listing your timeshare on venues like Redweek and My Resort Network and My Timeshare Connection and Tug is not what the State is after. They are trying to stop people from being lied to about the value of their timeshare and the "methods" that will be used to market the timeshares. The domino effect that has to happen is for all States to pass the same law and then to ENFORCE the law. Timeshare Only said on TV that they will wait and see and will continue what they are doing. So we shall see. In the meantime the public will be scammed.

Jul 14, 2009

I have been in the industry for over 20 years and am amazed at the scams and unscrupulous operators in the business.

This is why I started a site where buyers and sellers can come together and folks can list their weeks for free.

On a timeshare tour never fall for the "today only" price. Go home and do your homework.

The first place I tell people to go to look for timeshare is on ebay then bidshares. In almost every case you can purchase a timeshare for a fraction of the original price.

Selling a timeshare is quite different. Unless you have something extroadinary, expect to sell for a fraction of the original price.

Dan P.
Jul 15, 2009

danp171 wrote:
Selling a timeshare is quite different. Unless you have something extroadinary, expect to sell for a fraction of the original price.

IF it can be sold at all ..... there are millions of timeshare weeks that can't even be given away.

R P.
Aug 01, 2009

I used to own a timeshare but no anymore :) I know all the lies, misrepresentation and deceitful sales pitch they use to scam customers who purchase in good faith to the resort. I was one of them! I bought my timeshare in mexico. I gave a downpayment of 9,000 USD.

I canceled my contract and got my monies back!

If I can help... Send me a message.

Good Luck!

Charles M.

Last edited by charlesm330 on Aug 01, 2009 03:47 PM

Aug 02, 2009

yes every timeshare marketing company is a scam. but what alot of people do not know is that it is really easy to get your money back from those companys even if you did sign a contract or did verification. you can only go back about one year. so any one who has been ripped off can still recover thier money

Ken G.
Aug 03, 2009

keng129 wrote:
yes every timeshare marketing company is a scam. but what alot of people do not know is that it is really easy to get your money back from those companys even if you did sign a contract or did verification. you can only go back about one year. so any one who has been ripped off can still recover thier money

WRONG, when you sign a contract to buy a timeshare you have a certain amount of time to rescind by law (5-10 days) depending on the state or country that the timeshare was bought in .... if you do not rescind within that time period then you own that timeshare.

At least 50% of the cost of developer bought timeshares are for marketing and profit for the developer .... that's why the cost is so high.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.