Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Jan 30, 2012

I just avoided one. I received an email offer from a private party, which I accepted. He was to deposit an amount with his broker and I would get the balance on closing. Which sounded ok. Then he emailed me that he had to go out of town for a few weeks, and that his broker was also out of town. But he had sent me a cashier's check for the full amount plus closing. When I heard from the broker, I was to send a check to him less my deposit. There was no bank name, and no company name given. It began to sound suspicious, and members of this forum agreed. So I emailed him that the deal was off. When I got an email from the broker, there was also no specific company name or address given. I emailed him that the deal was off. When I received the envelope that looked like the check, it had no return address on the envelope. I wrote REFUSED on it, photocopied the envelope, and had the P.O. send it to their dead letter office. I have heard no more from the buyer or the broker since.

Annette R.
Jan 31, 2012

annetter60 wrote:
I just avoided one. I received an email offer from a private party, which I accepted. He was to deposit an amount with his broker and I would get the balance on closing. Which sounded ok. Then he emailed me that he had to go out of town for a few weeks, and that his broker was also out of town. But he had sent me a cashier's check for the full amount plus closing. When I heard from the broker, I was to send a check to him less my deposit. There was no bank name, and no company name given. It began to sound suspicious, and members of this forum agreed. So I emailed him that the deal was off. When I got an email from the broker, there was also no specific company name or address given. I emailed him that the deal was off. When I received the envelope that looked like the check, it had no return address on the envelope. I wrote REFUSED on it, photocopied the envelope, and had the P.O. send it to their dead letter office. I have heard no more from the buyer or the broker since.

The old Nigerian scam that's been going around for years.

R P.
Jan 31, 2012

JJ does RedWeek charge an upfront fee? We all know the answer is yes. Are you calling your,and the TS companies site a scam?

James B.
Jan 31, 2012

jayjay wrote:
Mr. Casey, if you insist on an upfront fee then your business is a scam .... actually upfront fee companies are merely selling advertisement, not timeshares .... get your fee at closing and you'll gain respect in the resale industry.

I've never seen even one verified proven sale that an upfront free company has completed and I've been reading and posting on timeshare forums for almost 10 years .... all they want is that upfront fee, period.

So JJ Timeshare forums are the only source of true information? You must be kidding me, you use this "experience" to discredit businesses you have never heard of?

SHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someday all of you will look back at this and kick yourself for taking this idiots advice. What happens if you listen to him like I did? It will cost you thousands of dollars! I'm sure there is a liability issue here. Take his advice and you are stuck, some timeshares can be transferred out of your name, some can't. When you pay the stupid thing off it is yours forever.

Remember who gave you the bad advice....JJ @ RedWeek. SUE HIM SILLY!

Hey JJ, let's see your proof of anything you have done for anyone,sales rentals ect.

James B.
Feb 01, 2012

jamesb1029 wrote:
JJ does RedWeek charge an upfront fee? We all know the answer is yes. Are you calling your,and the TS companies site a scam?

Redweek is a timeshare ad site, nothing more, nothing less. Do you pay your local newspaper to place an ad in their classified ads section .... of course you do, however Redweek nor newspapers charge in the hundreds to thousands of dollars for their service .... they charge a set rate minimal fee unlike upfront fee resale companies and scam charities.

R P.
Feb 01, 2012

jamesb1029 wrote:
So JJ Timeshare forums are the only source of true information? You must be kidding me, you use this "experience" to discredit businesses you have never heard of?

SHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someday all of you will look back at this and kick yourself for taking this idiots advice. What happens if you listen to him like I did? It will cost you thousands of dollars! I'm sure there is a liability issue here. Take his advice and you are stuck, some timeshares can be transferred out of your name, some can't. When you pay the stupid thing off it is yours forever.

Hey JJ, let's see your proof of anything you have done for anyone,sales rentals ect.

YES, I am a SHILL for all timeshare owners and all people that are interested in timeshares by educating them on all scams related to the subject of timeshare. You can't sue someone for giving advice on a timeshare forum .... goes to show how ignorant you are.

BTW, jayjay is not a him .... jayjay is a her.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 01, 2012 09:14 AM

Feb 02, 2012

jayjay wrote:
jamesb1029 wrote:

Redweek is a timeshare ad site, nothing more, nothing less. Do you pay your local newspaper to place an ad in their classified ads section .... of course you do, however Redweek nor newspapers charge in the hundreds to thousands of dollars for their service .... they charge a set rate minimal fee unlike upfront fee resale companies and scam charities.

OK.......what did RedWeek net from "memberships last year?

James B.
Feb 02, 2012

jayjay wrote:
jamesb1029 wrote:

YES, I am a SHILL for all timeshare owners and all people that are interested in timeshares by educating them on all scams related to the subject of timeshare. You can't sue someone for giving advice on a timeshare forum .... goes to show how ignorant you are.

BTW, jayjay is not a him .... jayjay is a her.

OK Ms. JJ, you might want to check your facts on that legal issue. You are giving incorrect advice that costs people thousands of dollars. You are liable.

James B.
Feb 12, 2012

Beware, these guys are slick with words, quick with answers and professional with inciting your involvement. Documents they supply look and feel real. Got called requesting whether I wanted to rent my timeshare in Mexico. No upfront fees by the contract agent. When the escrow company comes into the picture, they have a combination of fees as you progress closer towards getting our money. As they add fees for you to put up front, they incite you by saying that the purchaser has been contacted and deposited the equivalent amount of money so that you will get it back. They explain that it's all about the purchaser looking for tax savings that he is willing to pay the large rental fees and all other outlays. I was approached to pay Mexican government taxes and, transfer fees. Yet, they sent all documents that looked like real government documents, true deposits in escrow accounts from the purchaser and even investigating in the internet, they seem to be on the ball. Discussions by the escrow company and contract agent seemed to difficult to not believe it is all legitimate. Stay away from the contract agent who solicits you with a rental and/or purchase contract called Platinum Realty Exchange and the title escrow company called American Title Escrow Services. They baited me for thousands of dollars. Funny thing is now there is another company calling me telling me that they can pay me a high price for the selling of my timeshare. Yet when they sent me the contract, customer service guarantee and transfer process, the documents were almost word for word identical between the two different companies. The details of the companies that scammed me and I recommend you avoid are:

American Title Escrow Services 309 West Washington Street Chicago, Illinois, 60606 312-379-8735 & 312-379-8736 Toll free number (USA customers only) 866-978-4611 Fax number: 773-654-4896 www.americantitlees.com Names involved: Anthony Smith, Stephen Edwards, Brian Jones, Andrew Walsh, Amy Fuentes, Anthony Franco

Platinum Realty Exchange 6429 Richmond Avenue #130 Houston, Texas, 77057 Toll Free: (866) 978-0539 Direct Line: (713) 568-9630 (713) 568-9631 Fax: (713) 929-2098 customer@platinumrealtyexchange.com info@platinumrealtyexchange.com www.platinumrealtyexchange.com Names involved: George Kennedy, Michael Hernandez, David Lopez

Saro M.
Feb 13, 2012

jamesb1029 wrote:
OK.......what did RedWeek net from "memberships last year?

It's none of your or my business what Redweek netted from memberships last year. Redweek is a legitimate internet timeshare ad site that charges a fee for their services like you would pay a fee to a newspaper to list ads in their classifieds.

R P.
Feb 13, 2012

I have been successful contacting the resorts I own at. Both of my timeshares have agreed to my deeding back my timeshare. One is charging me $400 for that privilege (to cover title search) and the other is not charging anything. I would definitely start with contacting your company to see if they will accept a deed back. They will not pay you anything, and will certainly cost less than one of these get you out quick companies.

Lisa R.
Feb 13, 2012

Call now! It is so hard to know if people are legit or not, but I checked with my attorney and he said don't pay upfront, especially when it's thousands of dollars. I have been successful contacting the resorts I own at. Both of my timeshares have agreed to my deeding back my timeshare. One is charging me $400 for that privilege (to cover title search) and the other is not charging anything. I would definitely start with contacting your company to see if they will accept a deed back. They will not pay you anything, and will certainly cost less than one of these get you out quick companies.

Lisa R.
Feb 13, 2012

I have been successful contacting the resorts I own at. Both of my timeshares have agreed to my deeding back my timeshare. One is charging me $400 for that privilege (to cover title search) and the other is not charging anything. I would definitely start with contacting your company to see if they will accept a deed back. They will not pay you anything, and will certainly cost less than one of these get you out quick companies. I was asked to pay $6700 for both of my resorts by Timeshare Cure. Don't do it!

Lisa R.
Feb 15, 2012

Have been contacted by agent from "Timeshare by Owner" out of Florida. They say they will guarantee double income from rentals to cover the fee for their advertizing expenses which we pay. Does anyone out there know of this company and if they are reputable? We do need to rent our timeshare so we do not lose the points and are considering RedWeek. However Red Week seems much more complicated than letting a rental company do it. Thanks for any help with this helene113

Helen E.
Feb 15, 2012

If you were contacted by a company telling you they will rent your timeshare for a big price it's a SCAM.

Don P.
Feb 16, 2012

helene113 wrote:
Have been contacted by agent from "Timeshare by Owner" out of Florida. They say they will guarantee double income from rentals to cover the fee for their advertizing expenses which we pay. Does anyone out there know of this company and if they are reputable? We do need to rent our timeshare so we do not lose the points and are considering RedWeek. However Red Week seems much more complicated than letting a rental company do it. Thanks for any help with this helene113

There is NO guarantee that ANY timeshare can be rented .... the fact they stated this is proof that they're a scam. As far as advertising your rental on Redweek it's very EASY but you must be competitive in pricing (depending on supply and demand of your resort and time owned) in this economy.

Also, any entity (socalled company) that cold calls you out of the blue is more than likely a scam.

R P.
Feb 16, 2012

Timeshare By Owner is one of the best known scammers with thousands of complaints against them. The Florida Attorney General filed a lawsuit against them July 2010 for deceptive and unfair practices. Stay away from them. Hope that helps.

Jerry M.
Feb 17, 2012

colvind wrote:
I work for Timesharsbegone. We acquire timeshares. I charge $985-1285. (depending on what the transfers cost me) to acquire your timeshare. I can email you several deeds I have gotten in the last few weeks to show you I do what I say. You pay NOTHING in advance, nothing upfront. You don't pay until the timeshare is out of your name. On the web at: Timesharesbegonellc.com

I don't get it. Last year, you were posting here saying how Timesharesbegone took over ownership of your timeshare in Tennessee for $985-1285. You even provided the details of the "sale". Now, you're referring to Timesharesbegone in the first person like you own it or work for it.

Which is it? Are you a customer or a proprietor? Or, like those old Schick razor commercials, is it a matter of "I was so impressed that I bought the company"?

Lance C.
Feb 18, 2012

Yes. I work for the company. Yes we have gotten several people out of timeshares they no longer needed or wanted. No...we never get any money upfront. Yes I can send you a whole bunch of deeds that have been transferred. Yes we charge a fee, sometimes less that the maintenance fee. Yes we would sell you a timeshare or two for $1.00 YES I CAN GET PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR TIMESHARE. NO IT IS NOT ILLEGAL. This is America...sell your property to WHOEVER will buy it.

Colvin D.
Feb 19, 2012

colvind wrote:
Yes. I work for the company. Yes we have gotten several people out of timeshares they no longer needed or wanted. No...we never get any money upfront. Yes I can send you a whole bunch of deeds that have been transferred. Yes we charge a fee, sometimes less that the maintenance fee. Yes we would sell you a timeshare or two for $1.00 YES I CAN GET PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR TIMESHARE. NO IT IS NOT ILLEGAL. This is America...sell your property to WHOEVER will buy it.

Shills for company advertisers are not allowed on Redweek's forums.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.