Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Feb 22, 2016

I too was contacted by a Derek Richardson of Travel Associates, Inc to purchase my Playa Del Sol, Bel Air Collection Time Share for twice what I paid for it. The contract is supposedly guaranteed by the title company, True & Clear Title, Inc. I called them and they said that they currently have funds and are waiting for my contract to be signed. It does seem too good to be true, but I can't find the scam. Neither company shows BBB dings and they both have been in business for at least 8 years. Did they tell you at the beginning that you wouldn't have to pay anything to sell your time share? I'd hate to waste my lawyer's time looking at the contract if this is a scam.

Mark F.

Last edited by markf130 on Feb 22, 2016 12:07 PM

Feb 22, 2016

If it sounds too good to be true then it is too good to be true. They get you hooked by offering you a totally unrealistic price for your timeshare. Once they set the hook they claim there is a " fee " that has to be paid before they can complete the sale. If you are foolish enough to send them money then the will then claim there is yet another " fee " that has come up that has to be paid. This will continue until you stop sending them money. Anyone who sends them money is then put on a " sucker list " and will be contacted later by someone who will claim they can recover the money you lost to the first scammers. Don't get involved with them and won't lose your hard earned money to the scammers.

Don P.
Mar 03, 2016

What is the cheapest way to get out of a timeshare I don't want

Maury B.
Mar 03, 2016

First call your home resort and get in touch with the person that handles the ownerships and ask them to take back your timeshare through a deed back. If they agree they will walk you through the process. It is quick and inexpensive. NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your timeshare. If they won't take it back then try advertising it for sale for as low a one dollar and you can also offer to pay the closing costs as an incentive. Try contacting them first and be persistent. I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 that way . I told them that I was going to get rid of them with or without their assistance and that it was in their best interest to work with me. I made it my priority to get rid of them and they knew it was better for them to work with me.

Don P.
Mar 06, 2016

Don't do this. That is an unnecessary expense. I've owned and worked in the industry for years so agree with other poster suggestion, however timeshares vary đrastically so what is simple in one scenario or resort is not true for another. Where do you own? Paid off? Current on maintenance/taxes? These all play factors

Angela R.
Mar 06, 2016

It costs you absolutely nothing to contact your home resort and ask them to take it back. NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your timeshare especially the phony attorney scam. Anyone can create a website and use a drop box for their mail. Scammers prey on people desperate to get rid of their timeshares. Don't send anyone money and you can't become a victim.

Don P.
Mar 07, 2016

Dear Scammer, Congratulations on your courage. You are starting down the path to right the wrongs whose guilt plagues you. We are all human. And some sins are even harder to right.

Anne O.
Mar 11, 2016

I have been released from 5 weeks of timeshares. 4 were with Westgate, I called them and asked about a buyback program, they did Basically I paid one year of fees for each unit and was given a release. I has been several years and nothing from them since. They have 4 weeks and I'm done with them. We paid about $14000 each around 2000. The company at the time was Ramada, then Leisure Resorts bought them and they filed. Happily for me Westgate did step up. We used the timeshares to the max and figure we used our investment in the 15 years we had them. Do I regret buying them, yes, did I get screwed? No only in that we used them and were able to give them back. I figure it was break even at best. We did have a signed contract with another National Company. the salesman lied, the contract ( long and well prepared as far as the boilerplate is concerned) was quite strong. However it had major flaws in its preparation such as dates of signatures not matching, names incorrect etc. I took out a credit card to cover the down payment, our daughter and husband who were to be co owners signed but weren't listed nor liable, after several conversations and lengthy letters we were refunded the down payment and released from the contract. Shame on me for wanting to believe the salesman for signing anything for breathing the air in the room! But I'm out. We still own 4 weeks in Colorado and have for many years, we also use them each year in full and will until we die. That's the only way to get out.

Jim J.
Mar 11, 2016

It is definitely a scam. When the same company contacted me I checked with a resort and the Mexican Consulate in Orlando, FL. They both advised me to NOT send any money. What Travel Associates and Clear Title are doing is illegal in most states and is fraud.

C C.
Mar 11, 2016

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your timeshare.

Don P.
Jun 20, 2016

valeriev51 wrote:
I'm also looking into MITCHELL REED SUSSMAN. he is charging me $1450. Has anyone hired him and was it sucesaful?

Valerie,

I am looking at Mitchell right now. Could you be so kind as to tell me the outcome of your dealings with him?

Thank you

Ty P.
Jun 20, 2016

Please stay away from Mitchell Reed Sussman & Co. They work with TIMESHARE EXIT TEAM, a company advertising on radio stations around the country. Everyone associated with these two "outfits" should be indicted for FRAUD & MISREPRESENTATION! Complaints have been files with the State Board of Attorneys in California.

typ16 wrote:
valeriev51 wrote:
I'm also looking into MITCHELL REED SUSSMAN. he is charging me $1450. Has anyone hired him and was it sucesaful?

Valerie,

I am looking at Mitchell right now. Could you be so kind as to tell me the outcome of your dealings with him?

Thank you

Tam M.
Jun 20, 2016

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract .

Don P.
Jun 20, 2016

traudem wrote:
Please stay away from Mitchell Reed Sussman & Co. They work with TIMESHARE EXIT TEAM, a company advertising on radio stations around the country. Everyone associated with these two "outfits" should be indicted for FRAUD & MISREPRESENTATION! Complaints have been files with the State Board of Attorneys in California.

typ16 wrote:
valeriev51 wrote:

Valerie,

Thank you

When you say they are working together, what do you mean? How do you know this information? I have looked at the California Bar website and see no complaints against them. Any further details would be much appreciated.

Ty P.
Jun 21, 2016

Why would anyone use an attorney they heard about on the internet. If you need the services of an attorney find one where you live that you can actually walk into their office and speak with someone. I have heard too many horror stories in the forums about people using firms they heard about on line. What do you about them other than what who knows said about them. What do you do if they take your money and go away ?

Deal with people where you live if you find the need for their services. Scammers troll the forums looking for victims. They use all kinds of ploys to get your upfront money including the phony attorney scam. This scam has been going around for quite a while now. It's easy to avoid by using an attorney where you live. Ask yourself why a person you don't know is trying to steer you to a specific law firm.

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract especially a bottom feeding attorney that uses the internet to promote his firm.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jun 21, 2016 07:51 AM

Jun 21, 2016

Simply do your research its not to difficult. Yes people get scammed on a daily. Timeshares are a joke most of the time and just want your money like everybody else. I used a very reputable law firm that is in a different state than me and it was very legitimate! So that is not always the case. Just do research. Call them and find out if they are legit, make sure they send you all the documentation and information, etc. There are people who can help.

Laura J.
Jun 21, 2016

typ16 wrote:
traudem wrote:

typ16 wrote:
valeriev51 wrote:

Valerie,

Thank you

When you say they are working together, what do you mean? How do you know this information? I have looked at the California Bar website and see no complaints against them. Any further details would be much appreciated.

It's really very simple, TIMESHARE EXIT TEAM IS THE ORIGINAL ADVERTISER and get's timeshare owners to sign up, once they have been scammed and charged a fee, Mitchell Reed Sussman gets involved by telling the owner the resort HAS TO LET THEM OUT OF THEIR CONTRACT followed by sending a threatening letter to the resort or HOA. Keep in mind, most timeshares are deeded and are not a vacation club you simply "cancel"! You are a property owner and you have a recorded warranty deed. Feel free to contact the Timeshare Users Group based in Florida, they have filed complaints with the California Board (however, if the Board does not take action, it will not appear). TUG will also tell you "horror stories" about these two entities.

Tam M.
Jul 09, 2016

You might have relieved YOUR conscience but you certainly aren't helping any of us if u don't tell us who it is. We should all get together with a class action suit and put those dirtbags in prison

Neal S.
Jul 09, 2016

Yes. It is a scam. And they WILL be trying to get money. If u give it to them you will never see it again

Neal S.
Jul 09, 2016

You know....pretty much described the timeshare industry. Too good to be true, sucker list, always asking for money. Interesting analogy.

William S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.