Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Aug 13, 2016

traudem wrote:
Hello to Scott Loughran with TIME SHARE EXIT TEAM/REEDHEIN & ASSOCIATES. Please stop pretending to be an honest operation, your company should be out of business and it's amazing how many timeshare owners still fall for your scams.

No...what's amazing is the Timeshare industry is still in business. It's outdated, riddled with unregulated fees, and full of corruption.

William S.
Aug 13, 2016

Ive often wondered why the moderators of this site don't advocate for change....then I realized, they profits off these poor fools too.

williams1146 wrote:
You pay Upfront for your timeshare. Thank you for confirming the entire industry is a f****** scam

donp196 wrote:
NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract. When they go on and on blabbering with absolutely no substance they are a scam. These low lives prey on people who are desperate to get out of their contracts. No one can guarantee they can get you out of your contract. If they claim they can then they are a SCAM.

Call your home resort yourself and ask if they will take it back. If they agree it 's safe and inexpensive and you are dealing directly with the resort itself. I got rid od two timeshares in 2011 that way. It took less than 30 days and it cost a minimal fee for filing and I didn't have to worry about dealing with the scammers.

If anyone is naïve enough to fall for this scam please come back six months from now and let us know how much the took you for with no results. They usually string you along for about six months until your time has expired to dispute the charges on your credit card. Once again: NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract !!!!

William S.
Aug 13, 2016

Hello traudem, what is the scam you are referring to? Reading some of the comments in the strand it may sound like that guaranteeing to get you out is the concern, but it is not clear in your comment. You are saying we are "prentending to be an honest operation," and that people are falling "for your scams." When did you hire us to work on your exit? Working with us would have lead to experiences that would qualify these statements, but are contrary to my experience working at Timeshare Exit Team. If you wanted to contact me privately with your info I would be happy to investigate why your case with us lead to your unfavorable opinion about the integrity of our company. I'm sincerely surprised because even the customers who have received 100% refund because we were unsuccessful in exiting them (which is how our guarantee works,) don't have such negative opinion as you're sharing. Out of respect for the forum community I'd invite you to contact me directly if I can answer any questions for you, but I'll be assuming if the company or myself are addressed specifically on the thread then that individual who asked would like an answer on the forum.

traudem wrote:
Hello to Scott Loughran with TIME SHARE EXIT TEAM/REEDHEIN & ASSOCIATES. Please stop pretending to be an honest operation, your company should be out of business and it's amazing how many timeshare owners still fall for your scams.

Scott L.
Aug 13, 2016

Hello donp196,

I elected not to claim what we do or how we do it because I was trying not to make this conversation an advertisement. Answers to these questions are available by attending our free one on one consultations at your local office. If we don't have an office in your neighborhood we also offer one on one private and secure webinars so you can get those answers in the consultation.

What we charge is also fully covered in the consultation. We don't quote pricing because literally every ownership situation is unique. Even two people who buy the same week at a resort, on the same day, at the same presentation, and with the same contract may have different exit prices simply because the two paid the commitments of the contract differently. Therefore they have changed the details of the ownership situation which was contractually identical the day they purchased. Mortgage balance remaining, or no? Is on delinquent while the other is current? Because not every potential customer knows their exact status we elect not to publish pricing. This is because if we quoted on what a customer thinks their ownership situation is, but later we find after reviewing their contract that the situation is different than what the quoted price supported, we feel that it would be unethical to change the price to support their actual situation. To refrain from this situation ever happening we chose to quote pricing after we have all the ownership details.

donp196 wrote:
All I hear from Scott is blah blah blah. Not one word about what they actually claim they do and how much they charge up front. They dazzle you with bs and lure you in and if you are naïve enough to fall for their scam they jerk you around until the period to dispute the charge on your credit card has expired.

Demand to see an actual contract in writing and they will probably hang up on you. They hide in the shadows and slither back into their rat holes at night.

Scott L.
Aug 14, 2016

Blah Blah Blah and not one word of substance. They want you to go to a private counseling just like they did when you were at the timeshare presentation where you got stuck with your timeshare. They isolate you and then feed you a lot of bs just like the timeshare presentation. They tell you what they want you to hear to get your money and get you to sign a contract without reading it. It's the same scam just by someone that claims they can get you out of a legally binding contract for an " upfront fee ".

Of course they make so many fantastic claims that they can't fulfill because those aren't written in the contract just like a timeshare presentation. Ask to take the contract home so you can read it over and ask someone else's opinion and see what they say. It's another scam to get your upfront money. They string you along until the period to dispute the charge on your credit card has expired.

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract !!!!!

Don P.
Aug 14, 2016

Please let everyone know why it is necessary for your FIRST CLASS FIRM to hire shady law firms such as Mitchell Sussman & Co in Palm Springs and Ken B Privett PLC in Pawnee, OK? Such law firms are used as "enforcers" threatening Homeowners Association with lawsuits if they refuse to accept a deed. Once this tactic is unsuccessful, they simply deed the timeshare week to a "Person" who will never be found. Needless to say, the original owner will still be on the hook depending on the HOA company policies in place. FOLKS WAKE UP, these guys are smooth scammers!!!!!!

scottl436 wrote:
Hello traudem, what is the scam you are referring to? Reading some of the comments in the strand it may sound like that guaranteeing to get you out is the concern, but it is not clear in your comment. You are saying we are "prentending to be an honest operation," and that people are falling "for your scams." When did you hire us to work on your exit? Working with us would have lead to experiences that would qualify these statements, but are contrary to my experience working at Timeshare Exit Team. If you wanted to contact me privately with your info I would be happy to investigate why your case with us lead to your unfavorable opinion about the integrity of our company. I'm sincerely surprised because even the customers who have received 100% refund because we were unsuccessful in exiting them (which is how our guarantee works,) don't have such negative opinion as you're sharing. Out of respect for the forum community I'd invite you to contact me directly if I can answer any questions for you, but I'll be assuming if the company or myself are addressed specifically on the thread then that individual who asked would like an answer on the forum.

traudem wrote:

Tam M.
Aug 16, 2016

We are not sure where your frustrations are coming from? But, our business and processes are legit and we would not have a 100% money back guarantee if they were not. Our record speaks for itself.

Scott L.
Aug 16, 2016

Blah blah blah not one word stating what they do other than take your money upfront. I don't believe someone when they say " trust me " I'll return your money when I fail. Who in their right mine is willing to fork over thousands of dollars to someone they know absolutely nothing about other that what they heard from the person themselves. Before I would give anyone a penny I would want to see their track record verified and even then I would not give them a penny " upfront ".

Scott what exactly does your company do for the client other than take their money and promise them results. If you refuse to answer that question then nobody should trust you. Anyone that refuses to say what they do for their clients shouldn't be in business. What a racquet to tell people " trust me ". That's how scammers work.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Aug 16, 2016 01:39 PM

Aug 18, 2016

Although I am not personally using TimeShare Exit Team myself I will note that they are advertising their services regularly on a reputable NYC AM news radio station 1010 WINS. I too am amazed that the TimeShare industry still exists & thrives.There is no reason for anyone to "own" a week of vacation time when you can book rooms anywhere & anytime of year you choose. What is it you're paying for, Time? It's the same thing when you book rooms yourself at any resort or hotel. Except with TimeShare you now own a deed, maintenance fees, and property tax.It has real estate responsibilities but is not your property .

donp196 wrote:
Blah blah blah not one word stating what they do other than take your money upfront. I don't believe someone when they say " trust me " I'll return your money when I fail. Who in their right mine is willing to fork over thousands of dollars to someone they know absolutely nothing about other that what they heard from the person themselves. Before I would give anyone a penny I would want to see their track record verified and even then I would not give them a penny " upfront ".

Scott what exactly does your company do for the client other than take their money and promise them results. If you refuse to answer that question then nobody should trust you. Anyone that refuses to say what they do for their clients shouldn't be in business. What a racquet to tell people " trust me ". That's how scammers work.

Gerard S.
Aug 18, 2016

Any scammer cam buy advertising time on a radio station. As a matter of fact I can't believe all the snake oil I hear advertised on those shows. They claim the magic weight loss pills and every other thing they think they can get vulnerable people to buy.

Then there are the shills that come into the forum to stealthily sneak a positive word for their scam. They use a round about way to justify the scam company like " well they must be honest because the advertise on the radio ". Good try Gerard or should I say Scott but it's too easy to see through your ploy

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Aug 18, 2016 05:43 AM

Aug 18, 2016

gerards23 wrote:
I too am amazed that the TimeShare industry still exists & thrives.There is no reason for anyone to "own" a week of vacation time when you can book rooms anywhere & anytime of year you choose. What is it you're paying for, Time? It's the same thing when you book rooms yourself at any resort or hotel. Except with TimeShare you now own a deed, maintenance fees, and property tax.

Yes and no. Those "rooms" may be just that -- "rooms" -- not small apartments with living/dining areas, partial if not full kitchens, separate private bedrooms, in-unit laundry facilities, etc.

Some of us just plain *** hate *** going on vacation and staying in hotel or resort "rooms" and having to eat most if not all meals out or else -- if breakfast is not included -- making do with donuts from a bakery, grocery deli or restaurant carryout, and in-room microwaves to save a few bucks.

The trick with timeshares, of course, is to buy a deed as cheaply as possible -- via ads in Redweek, TUG, etc. -- on the secondary/resale market. Just do some arithmetic: Suppose you buy a timeshare you like and in which you would like to stay (a key point, so you don't have to pay those outrageous RCI or II exchange fees) on the resale market for, say, $2500 including closing costs and fees. Also suppose your first year maintenance is $750 and that fee increases about 3% per year. At the end of five years you would have spent about $4000 on maintenance fees. Your total sunk cost for five weeks of vacation -- purchase price plus maintenance -- would be about $6500 for 35 nights or about $185 a night. Is that a "good deal" or not? You decide.

Stu M.
Aug 18, 2016

A shill behind every tree! A scam around every dark corner? See a pattern here? Think for yourself. Do your homework. There are legit ways to get out from under an unwanted timeshare.

James C.
Aug 18, 2016

markl18 wrote:
At the end of five years you would have spent about $4000 on maintenance fees. Your total sunk cost for five weeks of vacation -- purchase price plus maintenance -- would be about $6500 for 35 nights or about $185 a night. Is that a "good deal" or not? You decide.

For some, that is a good deal. For others, mmmm, not so much. In the Orlando area, you can get a decent motel/hotel room for $75. True, you don't get the laundry, bedrooms, kitchens, or resort facilities. But is all that worth an extra $110 per night? Some say Yes and some say No. For me, it's a big, fat NO!

Many hotels/motels will include a simple, continental breakfast. Then, if you are out for the day at, say, a theme park, you will likely buy lunch there. Then, when you get back to your lodging (whether it's a timeshare or hotel), you're probably too tired to cook so likely it's buy some cheap fast food somewhere. Besides, what percent of vacationers want to cook while on vacation?

And then, even if you do want to stay in a timeshare, often you can rent from an existing owner for less than the maintenance fees and there's no buy-in price. But then, hey, there are many timeshare owners who are happy with what they own and make good use of them.

Lance C.
Aug 19, 2016

lancec13 wrote:
markl18 wrote:
At the end of five years you would have spent about $4000 on maintenance fees. Your total sunk cost for five weeks of vacation -- purchase price plus maintenance -- would be about $6500 for 35 nights or about $185 a night. Is that a "good deal" or not? You decide.

For some, that is a good deal. For others, mmmm, not so much. In the Orlando area, you can get a decent motel/hotel room for $75. True, you don't get the laundry, bedrooms, kitchens, or resort facilities. But is all that worth an extra $110 per night? Some say Yes and some say No. And then, even if you do want to stay in a timeshare, often you can rent from an existing owner for less than the maintenance fees and there's no buy-in price. But then, hey, there are many timeshare owners who are happy with what they own and make good use of them.

YES! That's the point.

But there's something else to consider: Suppose instead of buying on the secondary market for $2500, you buy a bargain basement timeshare on Redweek or TUG or wherever for $1. And suppose the seller covers closing costs or at worst you pay, say, $750-ish. Now, using the original maintenance fee numbers, your cost per night is about $135 or slightly less over five years. A $75 motel room plus those predatory local tourist taxes will be $90-ish. Further, suppose you trade your $1 timeshare thru RCI every year and cough up about $1100 in exchange fees. Your cost per night goes up -- to about $170. And in your own or an exchange timeshare you just might be on or across the street from a sandy beach in San Diego County -- not in a Motel Six located between a Waffle House and a Wal-Mart.

In any case, all this pencil-pushing makes it comparatively painless when you want to get rid of your timeshare. Sell it for a grand if you can, or sell it for a dollar. It hardly matters. What you paid up front will have been amortized over the number of years you used it. Just never, never, never buy from a "consultant" in the "welcome center." You can't live long enough to make the math work for you.

Stu M.
Sep 07, 2016

I am interested in hearing from those who have successfully sold their timeshare on Redweek.com

Rhoda T.
Sep 08, 2016

rhodat2 wrote:
I am interested in hearing from those who have successfully sold their timeshare on Redweek.com

I'm not a dealer, just a timeshare owner/user, and over the past 10-12 years I've sold three or four on Redweek and two thru TimeSharing Today magazine. Nothing much to it. First, study the market for your timeshare via eBay, Redweek, TimeSharing Today, T.U.G. and others. Then, have a closing company lined up so that if/when you have a buyer things can move ahead swiftly. I've been partial to Chicago Title's Timeshare Division based in Escondido, CA. They are, however, a little higher priced than some if not many you'll find advertised in, for example, TimeSharing Today. Beyond that, just write up your ad, determine your price (and whether you are firm or asking), place your ad, and pray daily if not hourly for a buyer. Depending on the price of what you're selling, you might ask for 10% or 20% earnest money up front with the balance paid into an escrow account with the closing company. But in this market, you might find yourself not getting but paying monies. If you are trying to get rid of a "bargain basement" timeshare (as advertised on the T.U.G. web site free or for $1), you might be paying most or all of the closing costs and on top of that a year's maintenance -- just to get rid of whatever it is you don't want anymore. And, mainly, be patient. Very patient.

Stu M.
Sep 11, 2016

This happened to me with: Timeshares By Owner. Embarrassed to say, cost me: $1833.00. Was quite a while ago (August 2012), but I still have the contract and NOTHING else to show for it.

Brian J.
Sep 11, 2016

You should go after the crooks that sold him the damn thing. But you can't, won't, because you are a shill for them. He'll, you probably sold it to him.

William S.
Oct 15, 2016

is it safe to sell my timeshare via Redweek.com??

Joel R.
Oct 15, 2016

You just described every timeshare sales rep I've ever met. Why won't RedWeek and it's "moderators" go after the shady timeshare companies that screwed all these people over? I'll tell you why. It would hit too close to home. The timeshare industry is incestuous. These "moderators" are the same slimeballs that ripped off buyers to begin with. The world would be a better place if the timeshare and vacation club industry were eliminated and outlawed.

donp196 wrote:
All I hear from Scott is blah blah blah. Not one word about what they actually claim they do and how much they charge up front. They dazzle you with bs and lure you in and if you are naïve enough to fall for their scam they jerk you around until the period to dispute the charge on your credit card has expired.

Demand to see an actual contract in writing and they will probably hang up on you. They hide in the shadows and slither back into their rat holes at night.

William S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.