Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Feb 04, 2021

I am considering Southwest Deed and Trust to get me out Anyone else used them ?

Peggy R.

Last edited by phyl21 on Feb 04, 2021 05:29 PM

Feb 04, 2021

NEVAR pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract .

Don P.
Feb 04, 2021

peggyr130 wrote:

To get you out of what? What is SWD&T charging you? What do you own?

Lance C.
Feb 05, 2021

peggyr130 wrote:

NO ONE can somehow magically "get you out". Period, amen. This includes "Southwest Deed & Title (whoever / wherever they might be).

You can contact your resort HOA and request a "deedback". This is only an option if there is no unpaid loan balance and no unpaid maintenance fees. Even if fully paid up and fully paid off, not all resorts accept deedbacks.

You can attempt to give the timeshare away for free (again, only an option if there is no unpaid loan --- no one wants anything to do with your debt). See TUG, RedWeek for advertising options.

You can do absolutely nothing, stop paying your fees and just wait for the (inevitable) foreclosure to occur. There could be negative credit report consequences if there is an unpaid loan balance on which you default.

Please note that NONE of the above referenced options include ever paying a single penny to any "upfront fee" so-called "exit" operation. In the end, there are simply no magic beans and no "secret escape passages".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 27, 2021 12:19 PM

Apr 16, 2021

Have you heard of the clause about perpetuity? It is yours forever, they will not foreclose and when you die, the problem passes to your kids and their kids and so on forever.

markl18 wrote:
tres2 wrote:
I have a timeshare/vacation club but it is too hard to sale. I give up. I just give up. I know what it is worth, but everyone think it is a scam. I just came from Mexico. I jist paid the maintenance fee and I even had it listed for sale and rent. I agree with the comments abot going after shady folks.

Have you considered NOT paying the maintenance fees? Just abandoning your timeshare?

Mary S.
Apr 16, 2021

This lie has been told over and over again during scam presentations to scare people into using an exit company . No One can force anyone to inherit anything they don't want . Please stop spreading false information in the forums .

Don P.
Apr 27, 2021

Mary, There is nothing wrong with a perpetual contract. Your house and your car are a perpetual contract. The difference is there is a viable resale market.

I saved this RedWeek post from 2017 in regard to the heir scare: To all those inquiring about your heirs being saddled with this albatross: I have been a practicing estates lawyer in NY for nearly 50 years. The information given to you by Laura (I believe her name was) was basically correct: your beneficiary cannot be "forced" to inherit (and therefore have to pay for maintenance etc.) for the timeshare. The legal route is to execute a disclaimer within 9 months after death, and make sure that you do NOT accept the timeshare by using it or otherwise indicating acceptance (e.g., trying to sell it as if you own it). However, each state has its own laws as to how one disclaims. …...Note though: the (resort) can then also disclaim it, so there are some further fine points legal steps that must be implemented in your Will or trust to deal with that possibility. But most definitely your heirs are NOT bound to accept the timeshare and make the payments if a proper disclaimer strategy is included in your estate planning documents. stevenw on May 02, 2017 06:01 PM.

Irene P.
Apr 27, 2021

marys2117 wrote:
Have you heard of the clause about perpetuity? It is yours forever, they will not foreclose and when you die, the problem passes to your kids and their kids and so on forever.

Utter nonsense. NOTHING in this statement is factually correct or accurate, so let's bury this drivel here and now.

The fact is that foreclosure can (and ultimately does) occur at the whim of the resort when fees go unpaid for a period of time. It happens virtually every day, although resorts obviously much prefer that owners just "get caught up" instead.

The fact is that offspring need never have anything to do with parents' timeshares unless the parents have (unwisely) placed their children's names on the deeds before their passing, thereby making their offspring legal co-owners. Unless offspring names appear on the deeds as co-owners, the offspring can simply "disclaim" the inheritance of timeshare(s) they don't want after their parents' passing. "In perpetuity" for the current owner(s) certainly does not in any way mean that the responsibilities of ownership are passed down from one generation to another, or to anyone else who is not already specifically named as co-owner on the current deed(s). To believe otherwise is simply and completely wrong.

Where do you come up with this stuff, Mary? It is both unhelpful and irresponsible to spout off such completely inaccurate misinformation when It is not true at all.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 04, 2023 04:07 PM

Aug 02, 2021

Hey yall can you confirm if TFC is a real timeshare company?!

Sumaiya K.
Nov 26, 2021

November 26, 2021 We paid Relief Solutions International a total of $6,000 to get rid of a timeshare in Las Vegas. It has over 6 years now and I'm now a widow on a fixed income. RSI said they don't have to refund my money because they have to exhaust all avenues before I can get a refund. The contract said 12 to 18 months and they now have a second attorney so it is still in the works. The company cons you out of your money and stops all communication with you. BUYER BEWARE with any place that promises to get you out of your timeshare. Don't buy one in the firstplace

June C.
Nov 26, 2021

junec102 wrote:
November 26, 2021 We paid Relief Solutions International a total of $6,000 to get rid of a timeshare in Las Vegas. It has over 6 years now... RSI said they don't have to refund my money because they have to exhaust all avenues before I can get a refund. ... BUYER BEWARE with any place that promises to get you out of your timeshare. Don't buy one in the firstplace

Awful experience getting rid of a timeshare is not sufficient reason to "not buy one in the first place." We enjoyed a bunch of timeshares for more than 20 years.

What's fairly clear from a quick scan of all these posts -- 43 pages worth -- is that people should (1) buy only from the likes of sellers on Redweek, eBay, etc., because the up front cost(s) will be very cheap; (2) never buy points -- only weeks; (3) never trade in weeks for points; (4) never buy more points if you are unfortunate enough to have them; (5) never borrow ANY amount of money for a timeshare; and (6) when you don't want your timeshare(s) anymore sell it/them the way you bought it/them -- via ads in Redweek, eBay, MyResortNetwork -- and if it/they doesn't/don't sell just walk away from it/them. Oh, yeah, NEVER pay anyone to get rid of one for you.

Stu M.

Last edited by markl18 on Nov 26, 2021 12:43 PM

Nov 27, 2021

junec102 wrote:
We paid Relief Solutions International a total of $6,000 to get rid of a timeshare.... BUYER BEWARE with any place that promises to get you out of your timeshare.

Sorry to hear of your plight and this scam. What you said here is what has been pounded down many times for years on these boards. Never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare.

In the six years since you have paid RSI, how many maintenance fee bills have you received from that resort in Las Vegas?

Lance C.
Nov 28, 2021

I agree completely with Stu M. I own one timeshare now . It is on the strip in Las Vegas . I have a floating week . I go there pretty much every year . I just spent a week there Nov 3 - 10 . I don't use it to trade . They maintain the premises and refurbish every few years . I love it there , They know me and I get treated like a VIP . I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 through deed backs when I decided not to travel as much as I used to .

The point is that timeshare use is up to the owner and I agree that a deeded week is a much better deal that points .

To those of you that want to get out of your contracts I recommend that you ether use or rent your timeshare until the time you finally get it transferred to a new owner .

Don P.
Feb 03, 2023

In response to your positive comments about Reed Hein & Associates.

OLYMPIA — Attorney General Bob Ferguson today announced that Kirkland-based timeshare exit company, Reed Hein & Associates LLC, must stop its deceptive timeshare exit practices and pay $2.61 million to Washington. If the company violates the terms of the consent decree, it will be required to pay an additional $19 million — a total judgment of $22 million. Reed Hein also retracted and apologized for statements made in response to the Attorney General’s lawsuit.

Larry C.

Last edited by larry84 on Feb 03, 2023 09:19 PM

Feb 04, 2023

larry84 wrote:
In response to your positive comments about Reed Hein & Associates.

OLYMPIA — Attorney General Bob Ferguson today announced that Kirkland-based timeshare exit company, Reed Hein & Associates LLC, must stop its deceptive timeshare exit practices and pay $2.61 million to Washington. If the company violates the terms of the consent decree, it will be required to pay an additional $19 million — a total judgment of $22 million. Reed Hein also retracted and apologized for statements made in response to the Attorney General’s lawsuit.

I didn't see those "positive comments", but it's always a pleasure to see ANY of these upfront fee timeshaere "escape / rescue / exit / relief" parasites being brought to justice and forced to pay through the nose for perpetrating their deceitful thievery.

Why people believe (and then pay good money to learn different) that ANYONE has a mystical potion or a secret process to magically "escape” the legal (and voluntarily executed) contractual obligation of a timeshare ownership is a real mystery to me.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 04, 2023 04:12 PM

Feb 04, 2023

Any legit timeshare resell companies you might recommend

Rick H.
Feb 05, 2023

rickh446 wrote:
Any legit timeshare resell companies you might recommend

One recommended is Licensed Timeshare Resale Brokers Association (LTRBA). Keep in mind that they charge a minimum commission of $1500 and most timeshare units are not worth that amount. You can contact the company and see what it will do. It will be honest with you and tell you the same thing I am telling you.

What's important for you right now is to find out what the realistic resale value of your unit is. Most units are worth about zero dollars.

Whatever you do, do not pay any company a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare. Companies that do that are scams.

Lance C.
Feb 15, 2023

Take them to small aims court and sue for the money they stole from you. Biggest scam out there isn't time share it's these companies that claim they can get you out of it.

junec102 wrote:
November 26, 2021 We paid Relief Solutions International a total of $6,000 to get rid of a timeshare in Las Vegas. It has over 6 years now and I'm now a widow on a fixed income. RSI said they don't have to refund my money because they have to exhaust all avenues before I can get a refund. The contract said 12 to 18 months and they now have a second attorney so it is still in the works. The company cons you out of your money and stops all communication with you. BUYER BEWARE with any place that promises to get you out of your timeshare. Don't buy one in the firstplace

David P.
Feb 15, 2023

peedah wrote:
I hope that all upfront fee timeshare resale companies are, one day, run completely out of business by the law.

Yes, I too would like to see these companies out of business. Unfortunately, it's a lucrative business because people keep buying into and falling for these scams. If people would stop feeding these companies their hard-earned money, then these companies would go out of business without any help from the law.

Also, it's been mentioned here many times, if you are a victim of one of these scams, report it immediately to the Attorney-General. Many AGs have gone after these scam companies and either fined or jailed the culprits.

Lance C.
Feb 15, 2023

davidp1360 wrote:
Take them to small aims court and sue for the money they stole from you. Biggest scam out there isn't time share it's these companies that claim they can get you out of it.

I agree wholeheartedly, in concept (and I agree that timeshare isn't the real bogeyman here), but in some jurisdictions that $6k figure mentioned above would be above small claims court dollar parameters, necessitating a different (and much more expensive) approach to get these types of thieving parasites into a courtroom.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 15, 2023 01:07 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.