Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Molokai, Maui & Lanai Towers

QUESTION FOR ALL RESALE OWNERS OF MAUI OCEAN CLUB

Aug 24, 2007

jlminarik

debbiea88 wrote:
dz2 wrote:
Would LOVE to know the pricing - please let me know what information you received. Thank you in advance.

OK, here goes and just as an fyi, I don't see any disclosures that I can't share this information and these are dated 8/9/07 Conversions one bedroom Suites: Ocean Front $38,700 Ocean View $35,500 Mt/Garden $27,500 Island View $23,700

Conversions two bedroom Suites: Ocean Front $61,700 Ocean View $54,200 Mt./Garden $43,600

Lahaina Villas- new building (one week) Ocean Front $70,400 (3 Bedroom) Ocean View $62,700 Mt/garden View $51,200

I believe the new Villas ocean front are all three bedrooms and the ocean view and garden are two bedroom. This sheet doesn't break it out specifically and I can't remember.

the older units, is the pricing for every year??

Yes, these are all every year pricing.

Debbie A.
Aug 24, 2007

debbiea88

jlminarik wrote:
debbiea88 wrote:
dz2 wrote:
Would LOVE to know the pricing - please let me know what information you received. Thank you in advance.

OK, here goes and just as an fyi, I don't see any disclosures that I can't share this information and these are dated 8/9/07 Conversions one bedroom Suites: Ocean Front $38,700 Ocean View $35,500 Mt/Garden $27,500 Island View $23,700

Conversions two bedroom Suites: Ocean Front $61,700 Ocean View $54,200 Mt./Garden $43,600

Lahaina Villas- new building (one week) Ocean Front $70,400 (3 Bedroom) Ocean View $62,700 Mt/garden View $51,200

I believe the new Villas ocean front are all three bedrooms and the ocean view and garden are two bedroom. This sheet doesn't break it out specifically and I can't remember.

the older units, is the pricing for every year??

Yes, these are all every year pricing.

thanks!!

Jeff M.
Mar 24, 2008

We were on Maui earlier this month and visited Marriott to tour the buildings and speak with a salesman. We asked him about the advantages of buying from Marriott over buying from an owner. One of the things he said is his manager returned recently from a Marriott meeting where there was discussion of allowing resale owners to make reservations no earlier than six months and continuing to allow Marriott-direct buyers twelve months. Can anyone confirm this is in the works, or even allowed by the terms of ownership?

John M.

Last edited by depoe_bay on Apr 06, 2008 08:28 AM

Mar 24, 2008

depoe_bay wrote:
We were on Maui earlier this month and visisted Marriott to tour the buildings and speak with a salesman. We asked him about the advantages of buying from Marriott over buying from an owner. One of the things he said is his manager returned recently from a Marriott meeting where there was discussion of allowing resale owners to make reservations no earlier than six months and continuing to allow Marriott-direct buyers twelve months. Can anyone confirm this is in the works, or even allowed by the terms of ownership?

I can't really answer your question, I guess based on your message, I would expect a sales person to say something like that because it might make you buy directly from them. Until they put it in writing, it doesn't mean much! I look at it as a sales tactic to get you to buy direct rather than resale.

Debbie A.
Mar 24, 2008

I concur with debbiea88. We own one week through Marriott and two as resales (Kauai and Maui) and have always received the same treatment for the two resales as the one bought through Marriott.

I think it would be difficult to change the deeds we already have in our possession!

We also heard a sales tactic from a rep. a year ago in Florida who said that we would no longer be able to reserve at the same time as owners who bought through Marriot, and I found out later that it was just that - a sales tactic. I simply called Owner Services and they denied that there was any truth to the information given by the rep.

Good luck!

Kathy W.
Apr 01, 2008

kathyw84 wrote:
Okay, first of all I want to establish that we have owned Marriott (Grand Ocean on Hilton Head Island from Marriott) for 13 years, and have owned Marriott (Kauai and Maui) from resale for several years. Here's what I know:

Regarding your statement, "I WAS TOLD THAT MAKE YOUR RESERVATION A YEAR IN ADVANCE, AND REQUEST THE LOCATION AND IT WAS A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS, AND THAT YOU WOULD BE GIVEN THE BEST AS TO WHEN YOU CALLED IN," with all due respect to gblotter's statement that this is "definitely not true," there actually IS truth to your statement. Here's what makes it confusing - You can put your request in one week before your arrival and get your choice ahead of someone else who requested a few months earlier IF your actual reservation for the week was made ahead of others. We have been told over and over that the room assignment DOES have to do with when our reservation was made, so we always make reservations one year in advance and we always get the view we own and the placement or approximate placement that we want.

We have been told many mistruths over the years, and so I've learned to ALWAYS go to Owner Services to find out the truth. We were told some of the same lies you have been told by a salesman that was ticked that we were even considering resale. We asked to speak to his boss, and his boss helped him squirm right out of the lies. Thankfully, he is no longer in sales! (We heard a year later that there were several complaints about him.) In the mean time, we bought resale and have been extremely happy with it.

We have looked into the "mark" by our name, as we have heard that from an irritated salesman as well. Owner Services told us that the mark is to let them know that they can not accept the week to be traded for points, and that the resort itself doesn't really care if we bought it through Marriott or resale - Marriott doesn't have to give 200,000 bonus points for a resale so they figure they break about even. Please remember that Marriott has right of first refusal - if they didn't want the units selling on the resale market, they would be buying them all back, as they have that right!

The ONLY reason to buy Marriott FROM Marriott is to be able to trade it for points and use the points. (Resale purchases don't allow points.) We love our points (traveled to such places as Australia) from our Grand Ocean, but since we don't need more with points, we will continue to buy resale. We are looking at buying a fourth Marriott week in the next couple of years and it WILL be resale. No marks are against us...no problems with the views and locations....no different treatment than Marriott owners who bought through Marriott at the resorts we bought resale - Kauai and Maui.

Hope this helps and that it makes sense.....I'm hurrying, but I wanted to try to help you, as we also struggled before we bought our first resale unit.

Good luck! You will love it - just remember to reserve early and then to put in your room request whenever you want....no hurry on that part.

Did you personally call the resort directly or call Marriott Vacation Club prior to arrival to ask for a specific location? Were you given any information during that call that you would get what you asked for, or did you just give them your request and then hope to get it when you actually arrive to check-in? (Given your reservation has been made 12-13 months prior.)

Peggy Q
Apr 01, 2008

We went through a presentation a few weeks ago at Ko Olina on Oahu and we happened to mention that we were considering resale. Our sales person told us that not only were they (Marriott Vacation Club) considering reducing the advance time that resale owners could make reservations giving regular owners more time but that if you owned a 2 bedroom lockoff unit, they were considering not allowing resale owners to utilize the lockoff feature. I have not called Owner Services but that is a good suggestion. I did ask a timeshare real estate person about the lockoff situation and he said there is no way they could do that because it is written in the deed that way which is a legally binding contract. I too believe these are sales tactics and pretty appalling ones at that. I am an owner (not resale) at Kauai and am considering Ko Olina. I bought a resale from Hilton and learned my lesson - that resale is the only way to go.

Linda D.
Apr 01, 2008

peggyq2 wrote:
kathyw84 wrote:
Okay, first of all I want to establish that we have owned Marriott (Grand Ocean on Hilton Head Island from Marriott) for 13 years, and have owned Marriott (Kauai and Maui) from resale for several years. Here's what I know:

Regarding your statement, "I WAS TOLD THAT MAKE YOUR RESERVATION A YEAR IN ADVANCE, AND REQUEST THE LOCATION AND IT WAS A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS, AND THAT YOU WOULD BE GIVEN THE BEST AS TO WHEN YOU CALLED IN," with all due respect to gblotter's statement that this is "definitely not true," there actually IS truth to your statement. Here's what makes it confusing - You can put your request in one week before your arrival and get your choice ahead of someone else who requested a few months earlier IF your actual reservation for the week was made ahead of others. We have been told over and over that the room assignment DOES have to do with when our reservation was made, so we always make reservations one year in advance and we always get the view we own and the placement or approximate placement that we want.

We have been told many mistruths over the years, and so I've learned to ALWAYS go to Owner Services to find out the truth. We were told some of the same lies you have been told by a salesman that was ticked that we were even considering resale. We asked to speak to his boss, and his boss helped him squirm right out of the lies. Thankfully, he is no longer in sales! (We heard a year later that there were several complaints about him.) In the mean time, we bought resale and have been extremely happy with it.

We have looked into the "mark" by our name, as we have heard that from an irritated salesman as well. Owner Services told us that the mark is to let them know that they can not accept the week to be traded for points, and that the resort itself doesn't really care if we bought it through Marriott or resale - Marriott doesn't have to give 200,000 bonus points for a resale so they figure they break about even. Please remember that Marriott has right of first refusal - if they didn't want the units selling on the resale market, they would be buying them all back, as they have that right!

The ONLY reason to buy Marriott FROM Marriott is to be able to trade it for points and use the points. (Resale purchases don't allow points.) We love our points (traveled to such places as Australia) from our Grand Ocean, but since we don't need more with points, we will continue to buy resale. We are looking at buying a fourth Marriott week in the next couple of years and it WILL be resale. No marks are against us...no problems with the views and locations....no different treatment than Marriott owners who bought through Marriott at the resorts we bought resale - Kauai and Maui.

Hope this helps and that it makes sense.....I'm hurrying, but I wanted to try to help you, as we also struggled before we bought our first resale unit.

Good luck! You will love it - just remember to reserve early and then to put in your room request whenever you want....no hurry on that part.

Did you personally call the resort directly or call Marriott Vacation Club prior to arrival to ask for a specific location? Were you given any information during that call that you would get what you asked for, or did you just give them your request and then hope to get it when you actually arrive to check-in? (Given your reservation has been made 12-13 months prior.)

We personally call the resort directly and ask to speak to rooms control. We are never guaranteed on the phone that we will get what we ask for, but we usually get it when we arrive as long as we have reserved 12-13 months in advance and as long as we are reasonable in our request. For example, we may say that we would like a "high floor," rather than demanding that we be on a specific floor such as 8th floor. Hope this helps.

Kathy W.
Apr 02, 2008

Thanks for answering my question! I have never called ahead before leaving and we always have received a high floor, but last time we were placed in the Lanai Bldg. instead of the Molokai Bldg. It was the top floor but such a long way to walk to from the lobby. I personally like the Molokai bldg. better, but I know the construction is now underway right next to it. I wonder how much the construction noise is...? I am definitely going to call before we leave to ask for some requests this year. Thanks for the info!

Peggy Q
May 27, 2008

kathyw84 wrote:

Kathy,

We recently traded into the Molaki Towers and loved the location but were surprised that the unit was not as fresh as the Grande Ocean. Since you own at GO, one of our favorites, hopefully you can answer the following. We are thinking about buying a resale in Maui (not the new towers), do you think we were given a unit that needs refurburishing - or in your opinion - are the Maui units just a different animal?

In advance, thanks for your response.

glennb74

Glenn B.
May 27, 2008

Don't know if you heard that Grande Ocean - Hilton Head received the Marriott Resort of the Year award out of all of Marriott's worldwide villas this year! Those villas were all purpose built so they are more of a villa planned unit compared to Maui Ocean Club, which in the original building were once hotel rooms which were converted to villas, thus the difference in the "feel" of the place. Truthfully, I believe the original villas in Maui are the closest you can get to the ocean. I personally prefer the Molokai building which is closer to the water - the view is gorgeous! The new Lahaina Tower has purpose built villas as well as the new one under construction at the old tennis court location. Just wondered whether you may of had a unit with a hide-a-bed or murphy bed in the livingroom? There's apparently not many of the murphy beds, only a few villas have refurbished with them.

Peggy Q
May 29, 2008

Kathy,

We recently traded into the Molaki Towers and loved the location but were surprised that the unit was not as fresh as the Grande Ocean. Since you own at GO, one of our favorites, hopefully you can answer the following. We are thinking about buying a resale in Maui (not the new towers), do you think we were given a unit that needs refurburishing - or in your opinion - are the Maui units just a different animal?

glennb74

Glen,

The only way to know if you were given a unit that was in need of refurbishing is to ask if that is the case. If you still know your room number, you may call the resort and ask the year that unit was last refurbished.

I must add, however, that the Maui Marriott Resort is also, as you say, "a different animal." We think it is overpriced and not as nice of interior as Grand Ocean. HOWEVER, the view and the grounds are much better at Maui Marriott and the overall Hawaiian experience makes it our "second home." We would buy more units at Maui Marriott if we could afford it or had the time (we own five weeks timeshare which can be converted to seven so don't need more - one at Grand Ocean, one at Kaui, one at Maui, (all three Marriotts) and two at Kona Coast Resort only because Marriott is not on the Big Island.

You are paying for the location and the view at Maui - hope this helps.

Kathy

Kathy W.
May 31, 2008

kathyw84 wrote:
Kathy,

glennb74

Glen,

The only way to know if you were given a unit that was in need of refurbishing is to ask if that is the case. If you still know your room number, you may call the resort and ask the year that unit was last refurbished.

I must add, however, that the Maui Marriott Resort is also, as you say, "a different animal." We think it is overpriced and not as nice of interior as Grand Ocean. HOWEVER, the view and the grounds are much better at Maui Marriott and the overall Hawaiian experience makes it our "second home." We would buy more units at Maui Marriott if we could afford it or had the time (we own five weeks timeshare which can be converted to seven so don't need more - one at Grand Ocean, one at Kaui, one at Maui, (all three Marriotts) and two at Kona Coast Resort only because Marriott is not on the Big Island.

Kathy

Kathy,

Thank you so much for confirming what I thought. You gave me the peace of mind that I need to go forward. Hopefully, some day I can return the favor. (If you ever need some feedback regarding Aruba, we also own at the Surf Club and would be more than happy to provide you with assistance). Have a great weekend.

Glenn

Glenn B.
Jun 01, 2008

glennb74 wrote:
kathyw84 wrote:
Kathy,

glennb74

Glen,

Kathy

Kathy,

Thank you so much for confirming what I thought. You gave me the peace of mind that I need to go forward. Hopefully, some day I can return the favor. (If you ever need some feedback regarding Aruba, we also own at the Surf Club and would be more than happy to provide you with assistance). Have a great weekend.

Glenn

Glenn,

Glad to be of help. Hope you enjoy your new purchase at the Maui Marriott! You won't regret it!

Kathy

Kathy W.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jun 02, 2008 12:13 AM

May 12, 2009

Can anyone tell me if the older units "ocean view" category are now obstructed by the new towers?

Tonja N.
May 12, 2009

tonjan wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the older units "ocean view" category are now obstructed by the new towers?
No worries - the Ocean View units in the original building are not obstructed by the two new towers in any way.

Gregory B.
Oct 04, 2009

we own 2 weeks of 2 BR/3 BA Oceanfront at the Maui Marriott. what prices are you hearing?

Karen N.

Last edited by marty8084 on Oct 05, 2009 01:57 AM

May 29, 2012

what is a reasonable price?

Jeff M.
Nov 12, 2012

If I buy a resale unit, can I trade it with Interval International?

Carol A.
Nov 12, 2012

Yes, you can trade a resale unit through II. We have been doing it for years.

Kathy W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.