Hotel Bel-Air Puerto Vallarta

belaire golf resort and spa

Oct 12, 2007

Has anyone ever heard of the Belaire Golf resort and Spa in Puerta Vallarta that is in the Marina area and it is in pre-construction? What do you think of it?

Susan L.
Feb 07, 2008

cheryls213 wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of the Belaire Golf resort and Spa in Puerta Vallarta that is in the Marina area and it is in pre-construction? What do you think of it?
We bought into it last year and haven't been able to get much information about it. We just received our package telling us that more would be forthcoming. What do you know about it? We bought from Antonio Copela who is one of the owners. I have his e mail address, bud its hard to get answers. you can use www.belairevacationclub.com to view the construction progress. Its my understanding that you won't be able to go there until the end of 2008. Dorothy ornelas43@hotmail.com

Dorothy O.
Feb 07, 2008

dorothy362 wrote:
cheryls213 wrote:
We bought into it last year and haven't been able to get much information about it. We just received our package telling us that more would be forthcoming. What do you know about it? We bought from Antonio Copela who is one of the owners. I have his e mail address, bud its hard to get answers. you can use www.belairevacationclub.com to view the construction progress. Its my understanding that you won't be able to go there until the end of 2008. Dorothy ornelas43@hotmail.com

Did they indicate that you can use time this year through Resort Collection International or other exchanges. How much time did you buy?

Susan L.
Feb 08, 2008

cheryls213 wrote:
dorothy362 wrote:
cheryls213 wrote:

Did they indicate that you can use time this year through Resort Collection International or other exchanges. How much time did you buy?

We bought a Diamond Membership 25 years with right to renew for up to 100 yrs at no cost.We get 5 weeks per year. We can also accelerate from back of contract if we need more weeks. They did indicate we could go through the Resort International exchange or RCI but we have not tried to do this. We don"t have information of what we can exchange they just said to call them and they would set up. I am anxious to receive this information from them, they say it should be here this month. After we own the membeship two years we have the provision to sell it back to them at a resale value of the time of resale.(hopefully the finished product is more valuable or at least as good)

Dorothy O.
Jul 04, 2008

dorothy362 wrote:
cheryls213 wrote:
My husband I is presently visiting Puerto vallarta area and was sent to this property this morning. Gut instinct said NO to purchase. There is a hole in the ground and 3 poles dug into it. The propose completion date is May 2009 for the first building and 2010 for the 2nd building. We were told later this afternoon that they are only selling air and it is a big scam. Do look into it and there is also some info from the following site Hope this helps. http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/bel-air-a11286.html

Inrid N.
Sep 02, 2008

dorothy362 wrote:
cheryls213 wrote:
dorothy362 wrote:
cheryls213 wrote:

We bought a Diamond Membership 25 years with right to renew for up to 100 yrs at no cost.We get 5 weeks per year. We can also accelerate from back of contract if we need more weeks. They did indicate we could go through the Resort International exchange or RCI but we have not tried to do this. We don"t have information of what we can exchange they just said to call them and they would set up. I am anxious to receive this information from them, they say it should be here this month. After we own the membeship two years we have the provision to sell it back to them at a resale value of the time of resale.(hopefully the finished product is more valuable or at least as good)

My husband and I returned Sun., 8/31 from Puerto Vallarta. We bought an Emerald timeshare at Belaire. Have any of you heard from anyone at Belaire since your purchase? We are concerned about all the negative emails at this website. Does anyone have any recent information? There weren't many construction workers there. Darlene

Darlene G.
Oct 01, 2008

Belaire looks like a scam. Two years no progress. Complete Condo complexes in the area have been built in the similar time (or at least have the frame of the building up). Boasting of links with SFX, TPI, and Registry Collection that have found to be untrue. Weird lies like they are moving the airport. Huh? News to everyone in PV. Google Belaire and you'll pull up some sites that talk about that disturbing project that looks too good to be true.

If you can rescind, I would do so ASAP. If not, I would seek what your rights are with Profeco.

Edwin K.

Last edited by edwink8 on Oct 01, 2008 06:44 AM

Oct 02, 2008

there is a conversation already opened about belaire golf and spa at this link http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=14685

Best Regards Enea Consultor

Enea R.
Oct 10, 2008

We purchased at Belaire in November of 07. Everything we were told were lies. Antonio promised us a week in Europe in 2008 (of his) if we were to sign up, also he promised we could trade in 2008 and that the hotel would be ready for occupancy by January 2009. We were told our weeks at Belaire were available ANYTIME we requested and it was written in the contract but it then was changed and we ended up with only summer weeks. He would not return any calls or e-mails and obviously we did not receive the Europe week or a 2008 week. We were able to get most of our money back through our credit card company.

Sandra D.
Feb 02, 2009

have you gotten satisfaction from Belaire resort. We have just bought and found all these complaints on the net and are wondering if we should get out of it Roger

Roger D.
Feb 02, 2009

we just purchased here in Belaire and after seeing all the complaints are wondering if we should get out of the deal. Have you gotten satisfaction from your request

Roger

Roger D.
Feb 24, 2009

Do not....repeat.....Do not even think of purchasing here. This is a total scam. There are 8 posts in the ground and that is all you will ever see. Do not attend the presentation because now that things are bad they are not even giving the promised "gifts" after a 3 hour presentation. If anyone approaches you about this, run, don't walk away.

Steven B.
Mar 12, 2009

I have to agree with above post- run, don't walk away from Bel Aire. I don't need to restate what many have said here and the reasons why it looks like a scam at worst, speculative risky venture at best, so will focus on how to get out.

If you're already in, call PROFECO immediately to help you get out. They have English speaking reps and know all about Belaire. Thank god for the TugBBS blog (http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/mexico/76314-belaire-golf-resort-spa-puerto-vallarta.html), which was the impetus for us to cancel our contract. Thank you to the person who wrote about PROFECO being able to help as well, because honestly, as much as I’ve traveled and lived in Latin America, I would never have thought the government would be able to help in a situation like this, what with all the red tape and bureaucracy in Mexico. PROFECO was AMAZING, and helped us get all our money back, and we are truly in their debt. I can’t say enough positive things about both the local PROFECO office in Manzanillo where we went in person, and the national office with whom we talked several times on the phone.

I don’t remember reading the status on any posts, but currently there is NO PROFECO office in Puerto Vallarta. We were told by the national office that they are trying to set up one next year. The PROFECO website had exactly what we needed:www.profeco.gob.mx/english, and clic on "take your time when buying a timeshare." It gives you the toll-free phone number to call and speak to an english speaking representative. fyi: The PROFECO office in Manzanillo was wonderful and helpful, however, they didn't have any english speakers there, though if my husband and I weren't fluent in Spanish, I'm sure we would have figured something out, someone to translate for us.

It is extremely important that you cancel within 5 business days, since as per Mexican law, you are guaranteed a full refund without penalties. I did read in another blog that PROFECO helped someone out of a contract who was past the 5 days, but they didn't give specifics, so I can't speak to that. Luckily, we started researching BelAire right after we signed, so were within the 5 days. When we called BelAire to cancel our contract from the Manzanillo PROFECO office, the BelAire rep tried to get us to agree to let them keep the $2000 closing costs, and the Profeco Licensiado helping us told the guy, no way, under 'such and such' law they don't have a right to that. We ended up agreeing to letting BelAire keep a couple hundred dollars for 'their trouble', but it was actually on advice of the Profeco agent, that we may want to make a deal or else we may have to fight it in court.

Regarding Bel Aire, although we felt how shady this when we went in there, somehow we got convinced to buy in. It was as if we were drugged or something (definitely mentally drugged). I remember saying to my husband at one point while we were in the middle of everything, “I just feel totally beaten down.” Can you imagine saying that, and still going through with a deal? He obviously was beaten down as well, because we went through with it. We are intelligent people who have traveled the world and know how to stand up for ourselves and speak our minds. However, we have never had an experience like this before—we had not experienced high-pressure, manipulating sales techniques, and it totally caught us unawares. It was truly a humbling and personally shame-producing experience. So shameful that I've been unable to write on the blog about it for months.

One important point: according to PROFECO, it is ILLEGAL for a Mexican contract to stipulate that you agree to waive the right to cancel, which is what our contract stated which we signed. They used the tactic of "we're buying these weeks from you right now, so that means you can't cancel your contract". However, this doesn't hold ANY weight in law.

Let me say clearly, that YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT (within 5 business days), NO MATTER WHAT RIGHTS YOU SIGN AWAY! And the BelAire people know that. they didn't even contest that point because they know that it isn't legal.

I do wish the best for all of you/us, affected by this company. I hope I and many others are wrong, and that it all turns out to be a positive venture.blessings.

Margaret T.
Apr 14, 2009

WE HAVE BOUGHT INTO THE BELAIRE GOLF AND SPA RESORT AND HAVE JUST MADE OUR FINAL PAYMENT ON OUR VISA. HOW DO WE GET AHOLD OF PROFECO? WE NEED A PHONE NUMBER. DO YOU KNOW HOW TO REPORTA SCAM TO VISA? I AM AFRAID WE GOT TOOK ALSO.

Janet C.
Apr 15, 2009

Profeco phone number is (52)55 5211 1723 or extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx Web site www.profeco.gob.mx click on atencion al Extranjero. You can request a form to fill out to file a complaint from the web site. Recent pictures that we just received show progress at Belaire, if you just bought you must have seen the progress, what did you see that was done? They showed a picture of the steel beans and cross beams is that what you seen? What about Miramar? This is another resort they own and are supposed to be letting people make reservations there for $499 a week that own at Belaire.

Dorothy O.
May 03, 2009

We bought at Belaire in June of 2008. I have been followin this thread, and am wondering how janetc168 made out with profeco, or if she contacted them. Like dorothy362, we are also wondering what you saw when you were there two weeks ago.

Anthony A.
May 07, 2009

My wife and I bought at Belaire in February. While we had reservations about the offer, so far we are optimistic about the opportunity that we commited to. Our dealings with them regarding issues/questions have been professional and timely.

We are encouraged about the construction progress since we there. And given their connection to Miramar members should have a fall back position if construction of Belaire is not completed by early 2010.

We have especiually pleased with Steve, their lead salesman. We have had a number of productive conversations since our purchase.

Regards,

Jim Eaton -Minneapolis

Jim E.
May 12, 2009

Hi Jim, Like you, we purchased at the Belaire, PV in February,2009 We have become a little concerned about all the negative comments. Our experience has been mixed, but for the most part, satisfactory. We did call the travel department in Arizona [1 866 992 3524 ] but got no reply. I contacted Laura at the customer service department and she replied, saying that there phones were out of order.....suspicious??? I am contacting Profeco, a consumer protection agency in Mexico, to see what they know about the resort. I guess the glass is half full or half empty. I remain optimistic, but it would be nice to read more emails like yours. Enjoy! BillYeomans St Albert, AB Canada

Bill Y.
May 12, 2009

I would be very interested to hear if anyone has any results from Profeco. We purchased in June, 2008, and are wondering if the resort will ever be ready. The thing is, our year is almost up, if in fact we do have a year to contact Profeco. I have a feeling that we would have had to rescind our contract within five days.

Anthony A.
May 13, 2009

Jim My wifwe and I bought a 3months 1 bedroom unit at Belair in March. This year. Our salesperson was Carlos Rubio. He was a young kid and extremely good with numbers. We also had an American by the name of Jim Robinson who was supporting everything Carlos told us. After 8 hours of presentation and questions, we finally signed on the dotted line. We also talked to Antonio Copela, the mastermind of the the project. He told us that he used to work for IRS, then he went into the private banking business and worked in several countries in Europe. He did not try to sell us anything, but tried to tellus that we should form an LLC and register the timeshare inthe name of the LLC so we did not have to pay any taxes. I worked out avery favorable deal with Carlos, our salesman, who bought all our 10 timeshare units at a very good price, and gave us some favorable payment conditions, that even Jim was impressed by.. I came back the day after with a list of questions thgat was professionally answered by Carlos and Jim. I also came a second time with more questions and demands which were answered. What really sold me was their statement that the have a performance bond with Lloyds of London for US$ 300 million. I asked to get a copy of this bond which is in Spanish, but have not received it yet. After we returned to the States, we have received anewsletter with an update on the building progress with videos of the construction site. So far everything seems to be legitimate, but who knows. Please let me know if you have any other info. I just made my second downpayment, but it has not hit my account yet. This is 2 days ago.

Ole Gilbo

Ole G.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.