Hotel Bel-Air Puerto Vallarta

belaire golf resort and spa

Aug 28, 2015

Here is one of the press stories about these cruel heartless .....from March 2014

LOMPOC: You’ll want to settle down and get comfy for this one. 😉

John Aurelio Cuda, 55, is doing time at the Federal Prison Camp at Lompoc, with a release date of June 6, 2017. You say you’re not familiar with the name? You might know him better as Antonio Copella, one of the masterminds of the Belair, Hotel U, grand Miramar and other timeshare frauds in the Puerto Vallarta area of Mexico.

Here’s the story.

In the early 1990s John Cuda and his younger brother James Richard Cuda were running an investment scam in Texas that primarily targeted senior citizens. According to court documents their modus operandi was to buy lists of people who responded to mailings such as sweepstakes entries and then contact them by mail or phone with “investment” opportunities that offered too-good-to-be-true returns and were run by shell corporations. While the deals wore the veneer of respectability, they inevitably failed, leaving their investors with large losses. Typically the Cudas targeted the elderly, persons often with large amounts of cash to invest and limited ability to protect themselves.

Their crime spree came to a screeching halt on May 6, 1993 when John Cuda accompanied an octogenarian woman into a Beaumont, TX bank to close out her $100,000 bank account (while Richard waited outside in a rental car). They wanted a cashier’s check made out to Home Equity Consulting Group.

But the woman, who was somewhat impaired in her thinking ability, was well known to the bank and they suspected she was being swindled so they called the police. Making a long story short, the brothers were arrested and the police notified the FBI, at which time it was discovered that the brothers were connected with four fraud cases in California. (James had also been arrested in Florida for defrauding an elderly woman but those charges had been dismissed, as the state statute under which James had been charged was declared unconstitutionally vague.)

Because of the interstate nature of these activities, a federal indictment was sought. The Cudas were charged with mail fraud, bank larceny, and conspiracy to commit bank larceny. The scope of the indictment covered not only the Cudas’ dealings in Texas, but also those in Florida and California. Two of their corporations, Rancho Santa Fe Developing Corporation and Home Equity, were also charged in superseding indictments.

In due time a jury found them guilty on all counts, they were sentenced, and were remanded to prison. Richard served his time and was released on May 4, 1996. John, who got a longer sentence of 70 months (with a projected release date of Sept. 30, 1999), decided NOT to serve out his sentence and on May 4, 1996 he escaped. (Was it a coincidence that the brothers saw the last of their prison cells on the same day?)

Fast forward, the brothers showed up in Puerto Vallarta using phony ID: John became Antonio Copella (variant spellings of Capela, Cappela, Capel and Cupel) and James became Jonathan James Tomasello (with another suspected alias of Michael Logan).

They set up shop using their special skills to conduct massive timeshare frauds and they profited mightily (google Belair or Grand Miramar timeshare fraud and you’ll get an eyeful, and that’s just part of their scams). Some estimates conclude that they scammed at least 800 people, mainly Americans and Canadians, out of millions of dollars over the years.

More recently they and several of their “lieutenants” have also been implicated in a variety of resale scams of epidemic proportions.

Fast forward again to October 2013. The two were arrested in Mexico on charges of real estate fraud, with bail set at $1 million USD ($81,842,723.93 pesos). Guess what? They promptly made bail and walked out of jail. (It made headlines in all the local papers.)

But Immigration got curious about their legal status (perhaps they were tipped off?) and ran John’s fingerprints through the US Federal Marshalls’ database. Guess what they found? Yeah.

So on December 16, 2013, Interpol took custody of John at the Puerto Vallarta airport and delivered him to the US Marshalls in the USA, at which time he was promptly arrested on an outstanding bench warrant. By January 2014 he was back in Lompoc (a low security prison from which he has already escaped once) to serve the remaining three years and four months of his sentence.

Richard is still at large, probably in the greater Vallarta area.

Will the two (plus their American partners in crime) ever be charged in the States with the crimes they’ve committed against their compatriots? It’s hard to guess, but if you’re one of their victims and you want to help in that process it wouldn’t hurt to contact the FBI with details of their perfidy — pointing out that one of them is already in custody in the USA and handy for questioning and/or prosecution.

Just a thought…"

The other sad part is the apple didn't fall far from the tree with his son, Jonathan, daughter Brianna and his wife whose name I can't recall but with so much plastic in her body, I'll call her "Plastica", "Mike Logan", Nick, Mario Seg. They are all pure evil. Bloodsuckers all.

Gw P.

Last edited by gwp2 on Aug 28, 2015 08:33 PM

Sep 03, 2015

I cannot believe it. I just received an assessment fee of $750.00. If I do not pay it I will have a "black mark" on my credit rating. Also I will lose ownership in PRC which is Private Residence Club. Also if I pay by credit card they will assess me 30%. Then there is a transfer fee of 45= $495. Also I will receive a gold Rewards Plus card . Whoppee! Do they think I am going to fall for this song and dance routine? Fell for it once when I bought in 2007. That was more than enough money for them to get out of me. They all need to go to jail and not even collect $200.00.

Lois J.
Sep 03, 2015

WE got the same message. they are nuts!!!! Too much!!!! enough already!!!!

Carolyn T.
Sep 13, 2015

Copy of email received from these criminals. Please understand I did not swear, this is simply copied verbatim: "mastermind plot from JOHN METZGER AND GABRIEL CLAVEL CARMONA God and bad news, since you never paid the special assignment fee. The CEO of the company has canceled you entire contract and settlement liquidation agreement. Do to the fact of all the lies and backstabbing you folks are doing. Tony cop plea is back in Mexico and ready fight each scum less members face to face. Therefore, I am sorry but you lost your full settlement and vacation ownership. You keep crying about this and that you have not even paid your fees so you know what tony said get the f** out of my property you’re a losers and still and always be one you never foFiled with the requirement way bac from 2013 and you blamed him for your own action he said that was the wrong thing to do. your membership is terminated and you have loosed every penny that you have invest. Tony is collecting personally each and every clients memberships and canceling them all do to false support and all the members not following any rules or regulations of the club

So you can now please public ate this messaged whom you ever want to your all down and will never see the membership again.

Tony will be waiting with his group of attorney to fight and take away legally each and every membership from all the members not one has ever paid and special assessment fee to retain the ownership and will wonder why and how it’s all happening... UPGRADE OR LOOSE YOUR MEMBERSHIP

ALL THE CLIENTS HAVE CREATED BY FALSE LIE ABOUT THE MR TONY HE IS BACK AND READY TO TAKE ON THE EACH ENTIRE SCUMBAG MEMBER THAT POSTED ALL THOSE BAD THINGS ABOUT THEM AND HIS FAMILY. THERE WILL BE WARS AND RUMORS OF WARS BLOOD AND DEATH OF ONE THAT WANT TO STAND UP AGAINST THE OLD OWNER.

PLEASE POST THAT TO ALL YOU LOSER FRIEND AND MEMBERS YOU CHITCHAT WITH THE BIG CIRCLE JERK GROUP OF THE OLD STICKY MEMBERS THAT ARE THE BIGGEST CRY BABIES IN THE F***ING WORLD I HOPE YOU AND YOUR WIFE REALIZE WHAT YOU BOTH HAVE CAUSED . SO WHEN HE CHOPS OFF YOU HEAD YOU WILL FIND OUT WHO IS THE REAL KING AND WHO ARE THE SNAKE IN THE GRASS ALL THE MEMBERS

BE EXPECTING A PHONE CALL FROM TONY NEXT WEEK HE IS INVITING EACH MEMBER DOWN SO HE CAN HEAR ALL WHAT THE B**S** FROM ALL YOU LYING BASTARDS MEMBERS ...

SO YOU BETTER BRING ABOUT TEN ATTORNEYS WITH YOU TRUST ME YOU WILL NEED IT TO GET YOUR SELF OUT OF THE MEXICAN JAIL FOR FALSIFICATION INFORMATION AND AND SWINDLING THE MOST OF THE MEMBERS TO FALLOW THE GROUP OF TUGS ANOTHER F***ING SCAM BU T YOU PEOPLE CANT SEE ANYTHING YOUR BRAINWASHED AND ARE AND ARE READY FOR DEATH

YOU FABI AND GABRIEL ARE NEXT ON THE CHOPPING BLOCK YOU LOST YOU FAKE CASE AND T WAS ALL A SET UP FROM THE BEGGING AND YOU THE F***ING MAST MIND OF IT ALL RAN THE WHOLE MULTIMILLION DOLLAR COMPANY IN TO DIRT AND STILL CRY AND BLAMING MR TONY

YOU HAVE IT ALL WRONG YOU WILL BE THE NEXT ONE IN JAIL ALONG WITH GABRIEL AND HIS LITTLE FAKE GROUP OF LYING FAKE ATTORNEYS AND FAKE MEMBERS ON ALL THE FAKE CASES HE STILL TO THIS DATE IS TRYING TO PUT IN AND CLOSE EACH AND EVERY CASE DO TO FALSE INFORMATION. THAT YOU THE RING LEADER HAS CREATED.

YOU HAD ALL YOUR MONIES BACK AND FABY AND GABRIEL SWINDLED YOU BACK IN AGAINST THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY.

YOU CAN BE KILLED LIKE THAT VERY Y EASY.

LOOK AT THE 5 BIG SHOTS THAT WEE R WORKING IN THE CIVIL CASE THE WERE FOUND DEAD IN A TRUCK O F A CAR. THEREFORE, IT WOULD BE VERY NICE FOR YOU ALL TO GET YOUR S*** TOGETHER AND START WAR. IF YOU HAVE ANY POWER OR JUS T TAKE YOUR FREE TICKET TO JAIL AND HAVE THEM PLAY FOOTSIE WITH YOU I BET YOU WILL LOVE THAT.

BACK STABBING PROFESSIONAL

John METZGER AND Gabriel Guadalupe Clavel Carmona Week and weeker

Hope to see you soon in Mexico or maybe at your local supermarket

So watch out behind you at all times

Your head has a price on it. Gabriel is as well and you are both sitting out like sore thumbs"

What is wrong with these people. This was the response received when responding to email from them about losing membership for non-use.

Pam F.

Last edited by phyl21 on Sep 14, 2015 08:54 AM

Sep 14, 2015

We received the same email. I find this emailing very disturbing. This email is a life thrilling email.

Copy of email received from these criminals. Please understand I did not swear, this is simply copied verbatim: "mastermind plot from JOHN METZGER AND GABRIEL CLAVEL CARMONA God and bad news, since you never paid the special assignment fee. The CEO of the company has canceled you entire contract and settlement liquidation agreement. Do to the fact of all the lies and backstabbing you folks are doing. Tony cop plea is back in Mexico and ready fight each scum less members face to face. Therefore, I am sorry but you lost your full settlement and vacation ownership. You keep crying about this and that you have not even paid your fees so you know what tony said get the f** out of my property you’re a losers and still and always be one you never foFiled with the requirement way bac from 2013 and you blamed him for your own action he said that was the wrong thing to do. your membership is terminated and you have loosed every penny that you have invest. Tony is collecting personally each and every clients memberships and canceling them all do to false support and all the members not following any rules or regulations of the club

So you can now please public ate this messaged whom you ever want to your all down and will never see the membership again.

Tony will be waiting with his group of attorney to fight and take away legally each and every membership from all the members not one has ever paid and special assessment fee to retain the ownership and will wonder why and how it’s all happening... UPGRADE OR LOOSE YOUR MEMBERSHIP

ALL THE CLIENTS HAVE CREATED BY FALSE LIE ABOUT THE MR TONY HE IS BACK AND READY TO TAKE ON THE EACH ENTIRE SCUMBAG MEMBER THAT POSTED ALL THOSE BAD THINGS ABOUT THEM AND HIS FAMILY. THERE WILL BE WARS AND RUMORS OF WARS BLOOD AND DEATH OF ONE THAT WANT TO STAND UP AGAINST THE OLD OWNER.

PLEASE POST THAT TO ALL YOU LOSER FRIEND AND MEMBERS YOU CHITCHAT WITH THE BIG CIRCLE JERK GROUP OF THE OLD STICKY MEMBERS THAT ARE THE BIGGEST CRY BABIES IN THE F***ING WORLD I HOPE YOU AND YOUR WIFE REALIZE WHAT YOU BOTH HAVE CAUSED . SO WHEN HE CHOPS OFF YOU HEAD YOU WILL FIND OUT WHO IS THE REAL KING AND WHO ARE THE SNAKE IN THE GRASS ALL THE MEMBERS

BE EXPECTING A PHONE CALL FROM TONY NEXT WEEK HE IS INVITING EACH MEMBER DOWN SO HE CAN HEAR ALL WHAT THE B**S** FROM ALL YOU LYING BASTARDS MEMBERS ...

SO YOU BETTER BRING ABOUT TEN ATTORNEYS WITH YOU TRUST ME YOU WILL NEED IT TO GET YOUR SELF OUT OF THE MEXICAN JAIL FOR FALSIFICATION INFORMATION AND AND SWINDLING THE MOST OF THE MEMBERS TO FALLOW THE GROUP OF TUGS ANOTHER F***ING SCAM BU T YOU PEOPLE CANT SEE ANYTHING YOUR BRAINWASHED AND ARE AND ARE READY FOR DEATH

YOU FABI AND GABRIEL ARE NEXT ON THE CHOPPING BLOCK YOU LOST YOU FAKE CASE AND T WAS ALL A SET UP FROM THE BEGGING AND YOU THE F***ING MAST MIND OF IT ALL RAN THE WHOLE MULTIMILLION DOLLAR COMPANY IN TO DIRT AND STILL CRY AND BLAMING MR TONY

YOU HAVE IT ALL WRONG YOU WILL BE THE NEXT ONE IN JAIL ALONG WITH GABRIEL AND HIS LITTLE FAKE GROUP OF LYING FAKE ATTORNEYS AND FAKE MEMBERS ON ALL THE FAKE CASES HE STILL TO THIS DATE IS TRYING TO PUT IN AND CLOSE EACH AND EVERY CASE DO TO FALSE INFORMATION. THAT YOU THE RING LEADER HAS CREATED.

YOU HAD ALL YOUR MONIES BACK AND FABY AND GABRIEL SWINDLED YOU BACK IN AGAINST THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY.

YOU CAN BE KILLED LIKE THAT VERY Y EASY.

LOOK AT THE 5 BIG SHOTS THAT WEE R WORKING IN THE CIVIL CASE THE WERE FOUND DEAD IN A TRUCK O F A CAR. THEREFORE, IT WOULD BE VERY NICE FOR YOU ALL TO GET YOUR S*** TOGETHER AND START WAR. IF YOU HAVE ANY POWER OR JUS T TAKE YOUR FREE TICKET TO JAIL AND HAVE THEM PLAY FOOTSIE WITH YOU I BET YOU WILL LOVE THAT.

BACK STABBING PROFESSIONAL

John METZGER AND Gabriel Guadalupe Clavel Carmona Week and weeker

Hope to see you soon in Mexico or maybe at your local supermarket

So watch out behind you at all times

Your head has a price on it. Gabriel is as well and you are both sitting out like sore thumbs"

What is wrong with these people. This was the response received when responding to email from them about losing membership for non-use.

Crystal S.

Last edited by crystals111 on Sep 14, 2015 01:21 PM

Sep 19, 2015

Has anyone received information from Lic. Jorge Dominguez ? We would truly like to believe that this is an HONEST EFFORT. Jorge has also sent his photo id with the email. It seems that we've all pretty much lost hope. Any ideas of substance from other "investors" - duh - would be appreciated! We purchased in 2009...unfortunately!

Mr. & Mrs. Rice, Subprocuraduría de Servicios de Verificación is the entity appointed by P.G.R. to filter and conduct investigation on all victimized foreign vacation investment owners and present them to CONDUSEF for restitution. P.G.R. in conjunction with CONDUSEF have seized a number of financial accounts and real estate assets amounting in hundreds of thousands of dollars from a number of “Resort Marketing and Timeshare” call centers and scam offices involved in fraudulent transactions within the timeshare industry. We have attained catalogues with hundreds of unaware parties names that were violated through these fraudulent activities. It is unfortunate that we found your name and basic information through the attained catalogues. It has been confirmed that you may be eligible for restitution based on the information that was seized by P.G.R. At this time it is not known what dollar value you are privy to. We will need to instruct our verification department through allegation forms so that we have authority to initiate a formal complaint to be approved for restitution. We require your return documentation to move forward. Documentation required and attached is as follows: v Acuerdo de Autorización is not a binding contract, it is a statement of permission from you. It must be signed by the legal Membership holder so that we may proceed with measures to recover damages on your behalf.

v Solicitud de Reclamacion is for detailing any losses or other related damages you may have suffered. This information is vital in determining the eventual remuneration you may receive. Please provide it on the designated document with accuracy and attach as much additional documentation that may be helpful.

Please forward completed Acuerdo de Autorización and Solicitud de Reclamación with the required signatures included by fax or email. Lic. Jorge Dominguez Dirección de Verificación Dr. Carmona y Valle 11, 4to, 5to y 6to Piso Colonia Doctores, Delegación Cuauhtémoc CP 06720, México, D.F. Tel. 52-551-163-8820 contact@subprocuraduriagob.mx

Mara R.
Oct 20, 2015

One month later and wondering if you have any further information update on your post. Thanks.

Gw P.
Oct 22, 2015

Another convoluted email arrived yesterday. What a bunch of bunk! Whoopee! I will get a black mark if I do not send money. The author must have had too much to drink before crafting the letter because the English is poor. No mention of amount of money, just send whatever to wherever. And I will receive a gold card and etc of pie in the sky. Will it ever end?

Lois J.
Nov 30, 2015

I agree with everyone I don't think we see any money or see an end to try and get more. Has anyone heard of this group www.divisionfederaleavf.org They have been calling me and send me there contract to represent me, of course no money up front just fees to transcribe the paper work from English to Spanish??

David E.

Last edited by phyl21 on Dec 01, 2015 08:55 AM

Dec 01, 2015

My mother has been contacted recently by yet another 'attorney' offering to get her money back. I told her not to give him any information or $$.

All of them are crooks, plain and simple. They stole money from hard working people with no intentions of ever building anything. It's a damn shame that Mexico has allowed this to happen.

Pam F.
Dec 01, 2015

The only thing you will be converting is your money into their hands.

marar6 wrote:
We would also like to know how to convert our Bel Air into points and be able to use them?

Hal H.
Dec 02, 2015

Does anyone know how this loss can be shown at tax time on a 1040? Maybe at least we could get some relief that way. Is there a legal way to show the loss?

ben smith
Dec 02, 2015

No. He hounded me to send info and I finally did email. I made it clear that i would send no money. End of story ...not even an acknowledgement of getting my info! !! They will reap what they have sown!!!

gwp2 wrote:
One month later and wondering if you have any further information update on your post. Thanks.

Mara R.
Dec 03, 2015

I don't understand the part in your message that describes the "Belaire..." response to you. What is the reference to Bank of America credit cards I, like many, have lost $35,000 and it was charged to Bank of America Visa. Are you implying that Bank of America will refund based on this being fraud? I can be reached at pbradshaw55@live.com.

Paulette B.

Last edited by pauletteb45 on Dec 03, 2015 08:15 PM

Dec 11, 2015

Just an FYI: According to the Bureau of Prisons, Tony Copella (real name John Aurelio Cuda) is still in custody at the Lompoc Federal Correctional Facility. He is not back in Mexico. You can easily search this yourself at the FBP's inmate locator page online: http://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/

Craig J.
Dec 11, 2015

Responding to marar6's question about the Subprocuraduria de Servicios de Verificación, this has been a very successful refund/recovery scam. It's another total lie, the documents they send are forged, the email addresses they use (which they keep changing) do NOT go to an actual Mexican agency, and so forth.

No Mexican government agency exists to help individuals who have been scammed in timeshare fraud. There is no fund. Basically, if the word SUBPROCURADURIA is used in any timeshare related communication to you, you can be certain it's a scam. This has been heavily reported online. Do a search for that one word and you'll find a lot of information.

They cite themselves as working with or on behalf of several government agencies, most frequently CONDUSEF and P.G.R., but those claims are bogus and, again, the documents they proffer are forgeries. The email and website suffix for all Mexican government agencies ends like this: .gob.mx (dot gob dot mx) If it doesn't look like that, it is not an official Mexican government entity. End of story.

Craig J.

Last edited by craigj86 on Dec 11, 2015 08:26 PM

Dec 11, 2015

Any idea what charges the US were able to get on Antonio Copalla that ended with him spending time in a US Federal Prison?

craigj86 wrote:
Just an FYI: According to the Bureau of Prisons, Tony Copella (real name John Aurelio Cuda) is still in custody at the Lompoc Federal Correctional Facility. He is not back in Mexico. You can easily search this yourself at the FBP's inmate locator page online: http://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/

Kevin K.
Dec 12, 2015

Yes. In the 1990s he and his younger brother James Richard Cuda were running an investment scam in Texas that primarily targeted senior citizens in a multi-state fraud. They got caught in 1993, charged with mail fraud, bank larceny, and conspiracy to commit bank larceny. Both were sentenced to prison. James served his time and was released on May 4, 1996. John, who got a longer sentence of 70 months (with a projected release date of Sept. 30, 1999), decided NOT to serve out his sentence and on May 4, 1996 he escaped (on the same day his brother was released).

Fast forward, the brothers showed up in Puerto Vallarta using phony ID: John became Antonio Copella (variant spellings of Capela, Cappela, Capel and Cupel) and James became Jonathan James Tomasello (with another suspected alias of Michael Logan). They began their timeshare scams and flourished.

In October 2013 the two were arrested in Mexico on charges of real estate fraud, with bail set at $1 million USD ($81,842,723.93 pesos). They promptly made bail and walked out of jail, but Immigration got curious about their legal status and ran John's fingerprints through the US Federal Marshalls’ database. They hit the jackpot you might say.

So on December 16, 2013 he was nabbed at the Puerto Vallarta airport and turned over to Interpol, who delivered him to the US Marshalls in the USA --- at which time he was promptly arrested on an outstanding bench warrant. By January 2014 he was back in Lompoc to serve out his remaining time.

Presumably his brother is still running scams in Mexico, probably using yet another alias.

Complete details at http://tinyurl.com/j84b2px

Craig J.
Dec 13, 2015

While most of it it is accurate - there are some errors. Jonathan Tomasello is actually his son. His brother is Mike Logan, who you might remember from the last days of the U as the white haired, wiry gay man who always wore white shoes. The larger man is his uncle "Nick" and his "aunt" was the receptionist "Marcie". Nick (still working timeshares in the area) and Marcie still live in the area, her around the corner from the U. As well as his son and daughter, Brianna and wife still live in the area spending our money and enjoying the good life. Logan has been seen in past since the arrest but not recently. The other name that was always around, Mario Segura, another guy with short white hair is also involved. My question is: are all these that are complicit in the fraud also wanted or does the USA not care what its citizens do outside the States? Obviously, Mexico does not. Here's the arrest story. http://www.prensaglobal.com/notas/57843.html

Gw P.
Dec 13, 2015

Thanks for the clarification. It's too bad the MX government doesn't step in and round up his entire family and charge them for the crimes they committed.

Kevin K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.