Timeshare Exchanges

Bad Experience with RCI

Jul 06, 2011

The worst experience you can have, is having your room broken into in Carlsbad, CA. Losing $7k in jewelry AND still being charged 'housekeeping' fees is an outrage!

And let's not forget trying to book at South Beach, Myrtle Beach, SC. Try getting a 3-BR lockout. Impossible.

R B.
Nov 16, 2011

I agree with you. Terrible experience with RCI. Every single time we want to book a week - NO AVAILABILITY!!! I am trying to get rid of this entire timeshare deal for my mother. She wanted me to use her "banked" RCI weeks, but now they want another $258 since my mom is not actually using, but again no rooms and I checked for five, six even seven months from now at numerous resorts in numerous areas. Then they tell my mother that her weeks will expire and they want even more money from her to keep them active. This on top of the fact that someone roped my parents into purchasing additional points . . . at the age of 81 and 84!!! What in the world. My parents were basically bullied into this and at one point when they tried to leave were told they couldn't!!! They got them in with the "free dinner" and discuss new exciting usage of your timeshare. Why in the world do elderly people need 702,000/year!!!!!????? My father passed away a few years later and now my mother is paying and paying. They have over $100,000 plus monthly fees into this!!! How can any of this be legal? Who let's elderly people sign a contract like that without some representation. I looked at the contract and it doesn't even look like my father's signature!!!

Janet S.
May 28, 2012

Have you checked out timesharescams.org. Was noted on some of the redweek fourms. We made the mistake of putting our young adults sons on our timeshares. The resort said it is so much more convient for them to use it. Never gave it much thought and did. Now find out it makes them responsible for it if we pass on, also recently learned that if there name was not on it, they would have the right to decline it as part of the estate. The resort wants $500 per week to recind it. They will be better off putting it on Ebay for $1 and giving it away if they do not want it at the time.

Carol S.

Last edited by carols725 on May 28, 2012 01:03 AM

May 28, 2012

Remember: RCI does not sell timeshares nor does it own them. It just creates a system for exchanging them among owners. We, too, recently were invited to dinner by an outfit claiming to "represent" RCI but it became obvious that they did not. They were just selling a timeshare and a rental plan. MD

Mary D.
May 28, 2012

Are you implying that the maid who cleaned your room took the jewelry? If not, what is the connection between a burglary and housekeeping fees? Surely hope that your things were insured. Did that timeshare have safes in the rooms? Many do, but not all by any means. A bad experience certainly. MD

Mary D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.