General Discussion

refund listing fees from fraud sellmytimesharenow.com

Feb 19, 2013

Twilight zone. My company is attacked directly and I can't respond. Would someone sane just call Grand Timber Lodge directly?

Jason Tremblay

Jason T.
Feb 19, 2013

Mr. Tremblay and readers of this forum, After reading the CEO of sellmytimesharenow.com's post, I called his company back to find out why I was quoted $2,294 instead of Mr. Tremblay's aforementioned $950 for closing costs. The person whom I spoke with was calm, and courteous, and explained to me that the agent who gave me the first closing estimate was ill-informed and not aware of Grand Timber Lodge’s resale policies. They apologized for their oversight, and assigned me a new representative who confirmed that the closing costs were $950 and that the lodge’s day use availability would transfer with the deed, because we would use Land Title to close. With this being said, I will now continue to use sellmytimesharenow.com to purchase this timeshare because it changes the price from the originally quoted $3,494 to $2,150, which is approximately $1,000 less than I can pick one up on Redweek.com. I apologize that it took the CEO’s comments for me to receive the correct information and price about this timeshare resale, but thank you Mr. Tremblay.

Richard L.
Feb 20, 2013

jasont87 wrote:
We do not charge $2,294 in closing costs. We are the only authorized reseller for Breckenridge Grand Vacation Club and use their title company. Their title company is Land Title. Closing costs average $950 which includes title search and title insurance. You can contact them directly at: 970-453-2255. Ask for Caroline. If you purchase Grand Timber Lodge from a resale company other than SellMyTimeshareNOW.com, resort day use benefits will not transfer. Redweek is not an authorized reseller for Grand Timber Lodge. You can contact Grand Timber Lodge to verify this.

Best Regards, Jason Tremblay CEO SellMyTimeshareNOW, LLC VacationOwnership.com, LLC

Then why did sellmytimesharenow.com (your company) quote $2,294 for closing when the poster above contacted them (you) in the first place ..... looks to me like you were trying to put one over on him.

Also, there is no authorized reseller for any timeshare .... owners at that resort can list their timeshare for sale on any timeshare ad site such as Redweek and choose a reasonably priced closing company such as www.timesharetransfer.com or JRA services that charge a reasonable fee for closing.

The OP made that quite clear when he saw other timeshares at that resort on Ebay that charged a reasonable fee.

sellmytimesharenow.com is desperate for business .... they'll tell you anything to make a sell.

R P.
Feb 20, 2013

richardl253 wrote:
Mr. Tremblay and readers of this forum, After reading the CEO of sellmytimesharenow.com's post, I called his company back to find out why I was quoted $2,294 instead of Mr. Tremblay's aforementioned $950 for closing costs. The person whom I spoke with was calm, and courteous, and explained to me that the agent who gave me the first closing estimate was ill-informed ....

If you believe this then I have ocean front property in AZ that I'll sell you real cheap .... they wanted that $2,294 for closing, period, that's what they quoted you. I would never do business with sellmytimesharenow.com due to the outright lies they tell and then they try to cover those lies by claiming ill informed employees.

Timeshare scam resellers are some of the most notorious people in the world for telling believable lies .... they are well coached.

R P.
Apr 04, 2013

roberts1014 wrote:
Mr. Tremblay,

I followed everything to a "T" that you discussed. Including my currently not resolved complaint with the BBB. After my initial conversation with your agent I asked him to call back in an hour because I really didn't trust what he was saying because it didn't sound right and when he called back I recorded a phone conversation between your agent and myself as he was making promises of sale and within a 90 day time frame, he went as far as saying he guranteed my timeshare would sell. I called your customer care center and emailed back and forth with a woman from there. Finally she asked me to send the tape recorded conversation. I made a copy of the tape and mailed it certified mail so I know that it was received, USPS said it got there but wouldn't you know it your agents never received it. I am in the process of seeking legal advice on this issue, and I hope for all those that have been lied to that I can get some resolve. So please Mr. CEO don't say there is currently no unresolved issues with the BBB, I can fax you my paperwork from them if you would like. I am owed $599.00 for false advertisement and business practices and until I see it I will not rest. Thank you for your time.

Robert D. Shannon Ad# 598897

Hi Robert & other interested readers. I'm an Australian with a red week to sell. Two 'Sellers' are in contact with me about advertising/selling my timeshare! I had a call today from SellMyTimeshareNOW.com. Surprise surprise. A representative (JP) asked me to pay a fee ($998) and they could advertise it almost immediately etc. I asked him to clarify it with the question: is this an upfront fee?? After learning that it was indeed money before service & results (in other words .. a trust basis - for basically a real estate sale) I started to query the practice of "money first" & explain how in Australia it's not usually done like that! I hardly got the first several words out - THE LINE WENT DEAD instantly. Coincidence ... Or let's not bother with this guy as he said he said he'd done research & was querying our practices. A non convert. Ok guys, enjoy your day with more info to draw on. Cheers. Merv

Mervyn F.
Apr 05, 2013

mervynf2 wrote:
Hi Robert & other interested readers. I'm an Australian with a red week to sell. Two 'Sellers' are in contact with me about advertising/selling my timeshare! I had a call today from SellMyTimeshareNOW.com. Surprise surprise. A representative (JP) asked me to pay a fee ($998) and they could advertise it almost immediately etc. I asked him to clarify it with the question: is this an upfront fee?? After learning that it was indeed money before service & results (in other words .. a trust basis - for basically a real estate sale) I started to query the practice of "money first" & explain how in Australia it's not usually done like that! I hardly got the first several words out - THE LINE WENT DEAD instantly. Coincidence ... Or let's not bother with this guy as he said he said he'd done research & was querying our practices. A non convert. Ok guys, enjoy your day with more info to draw on. Cheers. Merv

Kudos to you for following the ever present mantra on Redweek's forums to never, ever pay a large upfront fee to any entity to sell your timeshare .... they sell advertising only that few people will ever see.

R P.
Jun 28, 2013

Crazy how this company is a fraud and still open and running... maybe jay jay is .. WRONG

Kj B.
Jun 28, 2013

Kjb6 sounds like a shill for the company.

Don P.
Aug 21, 2014

I know this is old but wow so much bickering and round and round going absolutely nowhere! !!!!! Having worked in timeshare for so long in many capabilities (sales, corporate customer service, and now own a small owner account management firm) I can see both sides because the timeshare world does not exist in black and white but in many shares of grey! Do some companies exist solely in that grey area? Yes they do and this is one of them! Is their marketing strategy in the same realm as my moral compass? No but it's not illegal or we wouldn't have timeshares in the capacity we do with such a large market to sell. This is because most of you were sold with these same tactics they are using, the grey area where I can relay exactly what you want to hear but say it in a manner that means something very different. This is the most important factor in timeshare anything VERBAGE. true industry Rockstars are very well versed in this and sounds like they are training their staff to great extent in this technique. Unfortunately this is perfectly legal and the fine print is the only thing that matters in timeshare, most contacts contain a clause saying the written contact supercedes any verbal contact. Everyone on here has signed this knowingly or not, and therefore has given up their rights by agreeing to those terms. Is it right? No Is it legal? YES so be careful very careful. There are a few of us out there who opened our doors to be owner advocates by having all the inside knowledge of these companies and internal policies that lady right beside the previous clause. Lol However, reputable companies are very far and in between and I say if a company cannot guarantee you a rate and rental then keep looking! If we sign you as a client then there is a guarantee among full service companies but we are generally smaller (as you aren't just a number) so in your search efforts please keep digging. Google lists in order of seo ranking not on business integrity or moral codes (now there's an idea! !!!!!!) Closest thing to that is a Christian directory

Angela R.
Aug 11, 2017

I have some timeshare at Orange lake Resort. I looking for a Ligit Company to help sell my timeshare.

Margaree J.
Aug 11, 2017

margareej wrote:
I looking for a Ligit Company to help sell my timeshare.

The first rule when trying to sell a timeshare is to never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare as that is almost always a scam. Based on what you said about where your resort is located, it likely has a resale value of about zero dollars. Therefore, I would recommend just trying to give it away.

If you are "looking for a Ligit (sic) Company to help sell [your] timeshare", you can go to ltrba.com. They have some licensed resale brokers who will sell on a commission with the fees taken out of the proceeds of the sale, not upfront. However, they will likely tell you what I just said. Your unit probably has a resale value of about zero dollars and these brokers charge a minimum $1000 fee.

If you seriously want to unload your unit to get out of paying maintenance fees, then you can try asking the resort's Homeowners' Association (HOA), in writing, that you want to give your unit back. They might ask you to pay closing costs and maybe even the next maintenance fee. But at least it will be done properly and efficiently. You might also want to state that you are not going to pay another penny in maintenance fees (except to facilitate this transfer) and that it would be best for all involved for the HOA to take the unit back amicably.

You can also try advertising your unit for sale or giveaway here on RedWeek in the Bargain Basement. Maybe even offer to pay closing costs. Other sites where you can advertise are E-Bay, Craigslist, My Resort Network, and Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com) where there is a Bargain Deals section that lets you advertise for free that you want to give your unit away.

Lance C.
Oct 28, 2017

You run a scam. Your email is proof of more lies. You took my money upfront to sell my time share. And we all know now that you will never sell it and pocket my money. One of your customer representatives even had the courage to tell me that your scam company do not sell timeshares but only advertise. Now you confess in your email that you do masquerade as a seller

jasont87 wrote:
This information is incorrect.

We do not charge $2,294 in closing costs. We are the only authorized reseller for Breckenridge Grand Vacation Club and use their title company. Their title company is Land Title. Closing costs average $950 which includes title search and title insurance. You can contact them directly at: 970-453-2255. Ask for Caroline. If you purchase Grand Timber Lodge from a resale company other than SellMyTimeshareNOW.com, resort day use benefits will not transfer. Redweek is not an authorized reseller for Grand Timber Lodge. You can contact Grand Timber Lodge to verify this.

Best Regards, Jason Tremblay CEO SellMyTimeshareNOW, LLC VacationOwnership.com, LLC

Gary M.
Oct 28, 2017

garym731 wrote:
You run a scam. Your email is proof of more lies. You took my money upfront to sell my time share. And we all know now that you will never sell it and pocket my money. One of your customer representatives even had the courage to tell me that your scam company do not sell timeshares but only advertise. Now you confess in your email that you do masquerade as a seller

Sell My Timeshare Now (SMTN) has been around for a long time. SMTN has NEVER been anything but a "listing" site, where prices are generally unrealistic and exorbitantly high (with rare, occasional exceptions). I personally have NO use whatsoever for SMTN, but neither do I see how their practices constitute a "scam". They "list" (usually overpriced) timeshares for people who have unwisely (but voluntarily) paid serious upfront money to advertise a timeshare with SMTN, usually at a price too high to draw much interest from prospective buyers. It's probably a waste of money to pay SMTN, also considering their extremely high closing costs --- but where's the "scam"?

I personally believe that SMTN is an overly expensive and very poor choice for any prospective seller. Paying them and "listing" with them very often (usually?) yields no results whatsoever. That being said, it seems to me like quite a stretch to call SMTN a "scam". Also, as far as I know it is the SELLER that identifies their listing price, not SMTN, so pointing fingers at SMTN for their inflated listing prices may well be misdirected blame.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 28, 2017 05:49 AM

Oct 28, 2017

just read all the reviews in the many websites. Whoever reads them before paying them, unlike me, will never give them a penny.

Gary M.
Nov 19, 2017

I agree with you completely. My husband and I were charged over $1700.00 upfront fees from www.sellmytimesharenow.com. We have found out it is illegal for them to do so. We contacted them to get our fee back. But they refused to do so stating they are not a sales company but they just list. However, when we signed up we were told part of our fee goes towards closing. My husband and I will be reporting them to Pam Bondi Flordia Attorney General, BBB, Federal Trade Commission and others. We will be requesting a class action lawsuit. Sell My Timeshare Now WILL be required to refund us because they have broken the law.

jayjay wrote:
After re-reading this entire thread I see that the owner of Sell My Timeshare Now, Jason Trembely, has also tried to justify his company in a previous post on this thread .... have you and your employee not read all the negative testimonials on the internet concerning your company and then you get one of you socalled employees to come back and try to post that your company is legit.

Everyone that's been taken by your company needs to file a complaint with the Florida attorney general (research contact info) and hopefully you and all upfront fee scam companies will be put out of business one day .... this is my goal. It might be time for you to look for another line of work, Mr. Trembley. The attorney general has already shut down some upfront fee scam companies like yours in Florida.

Crystal T.
Nov 20, 2017

crystalt86 wrote:
My husband and I were charged over $1700.00 upfront fees from www.sellmytimesharenow.com. We have found out it is illegal for them to do so. We contacted them to get our fee back. But they refused to do so stating they are not a sales company but they just list. However, when we signed up we were told part of our fee goes towards closing. My husband and I will be reporting them to Pam Bondi Flordia Attorney General, BBB, Federal Trade Commission and others. We will be requesting a class action lawsuit. Sell My Timeshare Now WILL be required to refund us because they have broken the law.

I have NO use for SMTN, but I still believe that you are entirely mistaken about SMTN "breaking the law". SMTN has been in business (and thriving) for quite some time. No offense, but you surely will NOT be obtaining any refund, no matter to whom you complain. If you succeed in doing so, you'll frankly be the FIRST.

It is NOT "illegal" for SMTN to collect hefty fees from people who are willing to voluntarily pony up (far too much) money just to "list" their timeshares. SMTN is nothing more than a (overpriced) "advertising" site; they have never been (and they will never be) anything more. SMTN makes NO active effort to "sell" timeshares. Their work is (lawfully) done when they "list" timeshares for owners who (over)pay to "advertise" there. SMTN listings are also usually (although not always) priced at numbers that no one would pay in the first place. Even if / when a prospective buyer is interested, learning about the inflated and excessive associated closing costs usually sends them running in the opposite direction.

I'm sorry that you fell for the SMTN pitch. Although I sincerely wish you luck, I think you are deluding yourself believing for one moment that you will receive any of your money back after CHOOSING to overpay a nearly useless "listing" service to advertise on their site.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 20, 2017 01:23 PM

Nov 26, 2017

OK, on the slip side....is SMTN legit for buying a timeshare? I am a seasoned timeshare owner of over 30 years. Looking to add to my pool of timeshares. The resort that I have wanted for years to buy into does not have a resale program and seems to show no interest in putting me into contact with owners who want to sell. Yet, SMTN has several listings at seemingly reasonable purchase prices and maintenance fees. Can I trust SMTN to conduct the entire buying process? Of course, I just want to negotiate a fair purchase price and pay the industry standard transfer and closing fees. And frankly, I will want to do that in person, regardless of where I have to travel to perform the transaction.

Diane

Susan W.
Nov 26, 2017

susanw33 wrote:
OK, on the flip side....is SMTN legit for buying a timeshare? I am a seasoned timeshare owner of over 30 years. Looking to add to my pool of timeshares. The resort that I have wanted for years to buy into does not have a resale program and seems to show no interest in putting me into contact with owners who want to sell. Yet, SMTN has several listings at seemingly reasonable purchase prices and maintenance fees. Can I trust SMTN to conduct the entire buying process? Of course, I just want to negotiate a fair purchase price and pay the industry standard transfer and closing fees. And frankly, I will want to do that in person, regardless of where I have to travel to perform the transaction.

Good question. Here is the straight scoop:

Sometimes you will find a timeshare of interest on the SMTN site which may be available at a price acceptable to you. HOWEVER, you will have NO say or ANY choice regarding the "closing" entity. Closing costs through SMTN are quite excessive --- multiple times the cost of customary and usual closing costs. You have no option to conduct a SMTN transaction "in person", but that is the case in most any resale timeshare transaction anyhow, so SMTN is not unique in that regard. It would frankly be both highly unusual and entirely unnecessary to conduct a resale timeshare transaction "in person". Objective, third party "closers" who have no association with either buyer or seller (not an available option via SMTN, unfortunately) look out for the interests of BOTH buyer and seller, holding all funds in escrow until closing if necessary. This obviously eliminates any need for any travel or physical presence by either the buyer or the seller just to "close" on a resale transaction.

With SMTN, you essentially have to determine ALL of the collective costs as a buyer and then ask yourself if that bottom line figure is acceptable to YOU to acquire that particular timeshare listing, despite the exorbitant closing costs. Far more often than not, the answer will be NO, but there are (relatively rare) exceptions. In all fairness, in the performance of your due diligence you really have to look at the big picture and ask yourself if the TOTAL expenditure involved justifies acquisition of that particular timeshare for YOU. You obviously first need to accurately determine the bottom line total figure before you can possibly make that fully informed evaluation and personal decision.

SMTN of course has nothing whatsoever to do with maintenance fees, regardless of the resort involved. Maintenance fees are determined only by individual resorts --- and they are not "negotiable". That said, I would independently verify the accuracy of ANY figures SMTN indicates for maintenance fees. This is very easily done by contacting the resort directly for confirmation of any figures claimed by SMTN in their listings.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 25, 2018 02:48 PM

Feb 09, 2018

Look at buyatimeshare all they do is list. (there sales pitch is they do more but all they do is advertise) As a buyer you chose the title company. Closing cost for me where ~$495. They had more information on their website on closing then SMTN.

Bob B.
Feb 09, 2018

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract !!

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.