Point Systems

RCI Points

Oct 07, 2009

You can convert weeks to points if they are a "weeks" only resort for $26. If they are "both", weeks and points, then you have to do the upgrade via the resort and that's usually in the thousands. I've converted many of my weeks to points. It converts on the type of week you have and the week you reserve prior to converting. If you have a floating week, book a holiday or peak week to convert the most points.

Eli W.
Nov 23, 2009

So let me get this straight as the simplest way to do this. Assuming everyone is honorable and dealing in good faith. Let me lay out a scenario.

A. I already have 3 weeks of TS and am an RCI weeks member. The resorts I own are weeks only resorts. No points. B. I buy a points contract on...say...EBAY for 10,000 yearly points from a reputable seller, and the cost is....$2,100. It's a points resort and the points ownership I buy really is going to transfer to me and has been a points membership from the start. I assume then that I would then have an RCI points membership (if I pay RCI's yearly fee). C. At that point I now have two RCI memberships. Points and Weeks. And I'd only pay RCI one membership fee (I believe it's the points one) D. At this point now, I can choose to flip any or all of the 3 'weeks' TS into points for $26 each. I have to do this each year and pay $26 each to get the points. Or, if I want, I don't have to flip any of them in any year. The choice to flip or not is totally mine.

Is this all correct?

Thanks.

Patrick M.
Nov 23, 2009

I think you are right. If you are a RCI points member and you buy into a weeks only timeshare, you may be able to convert your weeks only to points for $26 each year. If you buy into a weeks and points timeshare that has contracted with RCI to allow their members to up grade to points for several thousand dollars per week, you will have to pay several thousand dollars to upgrade to points. Simply put: There is no cheap way to become an RCI points member.

John S.
Nov 23, 2009

That is "partially true". First all, DO NOT pay $2,100 for a resale. There are many that you should be able to get for $1. Most Importantly, 1) Make sure you are not taking over any payments and 2) Make sure that your maintenance fee/point ratio is not high (Ex $600/20,000 = 3c per point.) BAD. RCI Sells points at 2c per point, and you should shoot for less than 2c ratio.

Also 1) Closing Costs 2) Annual Point Allocation 3) Resort Transfer Fee. Some deals on eBay, the Seller will pay all or 1/2. Try to get one of those. 2) 10,000 is nothing. Make sure it is not a Wyndham property or another points program. That gets complicated. 3) Some resort transfer fees, like Hawaii and some Upscale have Transfer Fees of $400+. This will be a great expense at purchase and a hindrance when you sell.

Yes, you would only have to pay for your points membership, which is only ~ $124 per year or ~ $278 for 3 years.

Now, the main catch is: If the Weeks resorts OFFERS a points program, as many are starting to, then you are not able to convert for $26. Then you would have to upgrade the contract through the resort.

I actually have a handful of points properties I would be willing to sell to you if you want to get around this.

Feel free to email me privately and I can give you my cell to talk you through some of these not so obvious facts.

Eli W.
Nov 24, 2009

Thanks eliw4. You're so right on price. I just made that scenario up about price and points etc. That would've been a bad deal. I actually have 26 weeks of 'weeks' and other than the first one where I paid full pop 25 years ago I've never paid beyond $1500 since. Most were free or for $1 or $2-400. Lockoffs, 2 bedrooms, Gold Crowns, all stellar resorts. Is there a list of resorts that do both points and weeks so they can be avoided? A list that's accessible if you don't have a points membership on RCI. My 'weeks' converted is going to be in the 530,000 range for points so my primary focus is to get in and be able to do the $26 per deal to flip them when I want. Managing and going to 26 weeks of resorts is really too much work. (I know... I know... I got carried away with the bargains of amazing resorts for almost nothing)

Patrick M.
Nov 24, 2009

No, I don't know of the list per se, as it is probably a moving target as we speak. It's ideal for the resorts to move over, but there are many that are pure weeks resorts. It's a great deal for my weeks ownerships, like Mountain Retreat in CA. Love maintenance, and the weeks convert to high point values.

Well, may be we can work together, as I am in the process of facailitating large events and retreats. Maybe if we can find a nice resort with a lot of availability, we could book a bunch of units at a desired location for a family reunion or an event of some sort and then try to get back some of your cost. Unfortunately, RCI does not allow you to charge for points and you are not allowed to make a profit unless it is at a resort where you own, so there are lot of legal restrictions in this as well.

I hope you are able to find a market demand to meet your supply and it would be a great service.

I've started a foundation that will receive donated weeks, so worst case, if they are about to expire, feel free to donate them, and we can give you a tax receipt.

Eli W.
Nov 24, 2009

Some weeks convert to 40K-65K, so hopefully you will have more than 500K if they convert.

I would suggest calling the resorts directly. They are the most knowledgable about what they offer and if they are planning/exploring starting a points program.

Eli W.
Mar 23, 2010

how do i convert my wynhan point to RCI for My London vacation use in noverber. AAB.

Afusat B.
Apr 13, 2011

Thats how the sales personnel make their commission. On 4/12/11 we attended a supposed RCI points informational meeting that turned into a pitch for a timeshare resale of$8700 in Willis Texas, financed by Bank Of America line of credit with $0 down. Sounded kind of fishy to me. The sales people had no name tags to indicate their affiliation with RCI, plenty of catalogs, with sketchy details on the points. At the end of the one on one, the salesman mentioned timeshare resale in Willis. We conveniently left . Back door salesman working on a fast commission. After reading the RedWeek, the salesman left out alot of information.

Sharon L.
May 17, 2011

Is there some kind of formula I could use to determine the actual dollar per point value if I wanted to sell some?

Beth E.
May 24, 2011

I also attended an rbi informational meeting at an applebees restaurant where I was told I would be buying a timeshare in Willis Texas for $10,900 and would receive 20,000 rci points annually no closing costs or other fees it would be financed on an rci visa card at 2.99 percent. They would also convert my Rci banked weeks (4) to 120,000 points and convert my three weeks timeshare resorts to 90,000 rci points annually. They also stated that I would have a personal planner to book vacations for 9000 points anywhere any size if booked 45 days or less and 17000 for longer bookings. Here's the best by giving them 72,000 points to a rental program I would get back approx $11000 to pay the purchase and with 15000 points in rental each year $2000 to pay maintenance fees. Anyone know if this is real?

Alan K.
May 24, 2011

He probably did not tell you about the annual maintenance fees, did he? Do you really plan to vacation in Willis, TX at least every other year?

Also, investing in a timeshare for rental income is sketchy at best. And $11,000 for a timeshare in TX?!? Please! You could probably find that for a dollar on E-bay.

Lance C.
May 25, 2011

We were in Willis in March and it was a nice condo right on the lake in a kind of boring area. We will not go back again.

Bob

Robert V.
May 25, 2011

sounds like you need an accountant to keep up with the points. why does it have to be so complicated?

Sharon L.
Sep 14, 2011

I am confused on how selling RCI points works. I thought that RCI had a rule that you could not sell your points. I have a lot of points with RCI and would love to sell some. How would I find out how it all works and how much to charge if I am able to sell them.

Darlene G.
Apr 03, 2013

Where did you buy your RCI Points? We need to purchase about 80,000 pts that that can be used in the 2014 year. RCI sells them for two cents a point, but we would like to pay half that, if possible. Thanks

stever211 wrote:
A timeshare resale broker I've been talking with told me last week that it's nearly impossible to obtain exchanges INTO the Manhattan Club, whether using RCI Points or trading a week. I wouldn't bank on being able to get in there. The broker even said that there is some sort of rule at the Manhattan Club that if you get an exchange into the property, you can't get another one for a year or two. I wouldn't take any of this as fact, but my expectations are low. (I just bought some RCI Points very cheaply and plan to experiment with the program).

Ann S.
Apr 04, 2013

Go here:

http://www.redweek.com/timeshare-points/

R P.
Apr 16, 2013

I am interested in purchasing RCI points that can be used in 2014. Has anyone ever bought RCI points from anyone other than RCI directly and, if so, where do I look for people selling their points. Thank you. Ann e-mail address: Siegel60@aol.com

Ann S.
Apr 16, 2013

Posted directly above your post:

http://www.redweek.com/timeshare-points/

R P.
Apr 05, 2014

I am an owner of a of a timeshare unit on a point system, im also a member of RCI I own a studio unit one week every year. I was told I could reserve my week then deposit it into my RCI points account. I was told that I get 22 points yearly.. Does this mean I only get 22 points when I deposit my week into my RCI point account? All the resorts I have look at are thousands of points? How do I get those points? if I only get 22 points a year? I understood that I could trade my week for a week in another resort, but how is that possible

Sherry L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.