Sheraton Vistana Resort

Important Update Affecting Resale Purchasers

Sep 12, 2012

Well, I'm with in the 'no longer an owner at Vistana', however, I didn't even bother with the communication. They legally stole back my week in the foreclosure court as well. I was an owner since 1986. Owned the property outright and had it stolen for an auction price of $100. Funny, when I received the initial re-furb letter and contacted them that I wasn't interested and they could sell my week and give whatever remained. I was informed 'that they didn't do that'. Funny 20+years of maintenance fees and this was the first 'improvement'. My last few experiences at Vistana had seriously declined in the level and quality of service. And I love how when I initially purchased I could pay my maintenance fee the week before I went and then later it was due at the beginning of the year and by 6 months before my week I was being billed late fees and interest and then denied use. Good riddance to poor management.

Mario D.
Jan 01, 2013

Hi Brett,

I was reading your Post on redweek.com. My father has owned a week at Vistana Spa since 1986 - He's asked me to look into selling it, as he is no longer able to travel, and neither my sibling or I are interested in taking on the ownership of this week, due to maint. fees, etc...

His week is #27, and although a prime week, doesn't appear that these units are selling for any real value. Can you advise on the process of how you walked away from yours, and were there / have there been any pitfalls since you walked away?

I appreciate your reply -

Kindly,

Bob

brettw24 wrote:
Well, we decided to get out of our Timeshare in the Courts. When the maintenance fees surpassed the $1000 mark, we figured it was time to exit. The fees have been increasing every year. I called Starwood Vistana's legal department and told them I was done, I had owned since 1995, and was upset at this years increase. They asked if I was going to pay this years fees and I stated no, that I would give them back their property, no price, just get rid of it. They stated that the Courts were not doing this, so I stated they would not get paid and go ahead and foreclose, this was in January and February. In June I received a notice that they would take the property back if I was willing to give it to them without cost, so this is what we did. No longer a time share owner in Vistana and glad of it.

Bob M.
Jan 04, 2013

All weeks are prime now at Vistana. They changed this a while back. Each Condo Association has different operating rules, but how I did it with the Falls was to call Starwood Vistana and ask to speak to the legal department for the Falls Condo Association (in this case you would ask for the Spas Condo Association Legal Department). I basically told them that I would give them back their week without compensation for it. They just take it and all is done. They told me that the Falls was not doing this, I then told them that I would not pay anymore maintenance fees at all and I would not use the week. I got off the phone after this discussion because they refused to do anything, this call was in January. In May I received a call from them asking if I was intending to pay my maintenance fees, I told them no and informed them of the discussion I had had in January. I received a registered mail from them in June asking me to call them to discuss. I did and they said they would take the piece of property back. We signed off on the Deed and they took it back. Not sure if Spas will do this or not but I would call and see, just don't pay your maintenance fee and be upfront with them on what you want to do. Don't expect them to pay for the property, it just won't happen.

bobm574 wrote:
Hi Brett,

I was reading your Post on redweek.com. My father has owned a week at Vistana Spa since 1986 - He's asked me to look into selling it, as he is no longer able to travel, and neither my sibling or I are interested in taking on the ownership of this week, due to maint. fees, etc...

His week is #27, and although a prime week, doesn't appear that these units are selling for any real value. Can you advise on the process of how you walked away from yours, and were there / have there been any pitfalls since you walked away?

I appreciate your reply -

Kindly,

Bob

brettw24 wrote:
Well, we decided to get out of our Timeshare in the Courts. When the maintenance fees surpassed the $1000 mark, we figured it was time to exit. The fees have been increasing every year. I called Starwood Vistana's legal department and told them I was done, I had owned since 1995, and was upset at this years increase. They asked if I was going to pay this years fees and I stated no, that I would give them back their property, no price, just get rid of it. They stated that the Courts were not doing this, so I stated they would not get paid and go ahead and foreclose, this was in January and February. In June I received a notice that they would take the property back if I was willing to give it to them without cost, so this is what we did. No longer a time share owner in Vistana and glad of it.

Brett W.
Jan 04, 2013

What was the result of you not paying.

Norman C.
Jan 04, 2013

The not paying and possibly forcing a foreclosure is all the power I had, so they asked us to sign the property back to them and that is what we did. I did not ask for any money or anything just that they take the property back. Owed maintenance fee went with the property.

Brett W.
Jan 04, 2013

I just paid our painful fee for our Cascades week (points). It was really poor timing to take the full hit so close to the holidays but probably should break it up throughout the year next time... or see if they'll take ours back too. Still remembering the refurb assessments like it was yesterday.

Hoping we can book something desirable enough to get it rented and recover some of our losses. We've owned since '94 and stayed there all of 3 times. The last time we were able to book and rent out a week at Harborside.

Bruce Z.
Apr 09, 2013

Hello, we would love to just give back our timeshare in Vistana. Can you provide the # to Vistanas leagl department you called?

Judy R.
May 21, 2013

hi there! i 've read ur message a little too late. have you succeed ed in getting any money back? regards, sofía

SofĂ­a G.
Jun 22, 2013

We are interested in signing a class action paper also. Darrell and Lola Barnes : lolabrns@yahoo.com

Lola B
Feb 10, 2016

II know this is an old post but it has some seemingly relevant interest to be as an original 1994 SVR owner. I have never added, converted, etc my timeshare anything during the "2"' company buyouts, SPG or SVN / the recent Craig Nash II ownership. Of course "they" are also pushing purchases and insist I am not in the SVNetwork although RCI seemed to operate as if I were. According to 'corporate' II am only a Vistana owner and can only deal through the 3rd parties as a seemingly unknown entity UNLESS I purchase a new VOI (timeshare interest) again and I can 'bring' in the property owned for 20+ years. Again based on these assessment letters it would seem I am in the SVN by virtue of paying those fees. Anyone with any thoughts or suggeestions?

Cheryl T.
Feb 11, 2016

this appears to be a typical attempt to upsell you to a new level of membership so you can use your original ownership as a full fledged member of SVN network. Most if not all major TS companies place restrictions on use of resale properties unless the new buyer also buys into the expanded developer points program. Suggest you save your money this time around. Use or exchange what you've got, or rent it on RedWeek to recover some of your fees.

Jeffrey W.
Jun 28, 2016

I know this post is very old, however, I am just coming across it. I own 3 time shares. I am trying to sell all three and I noticed in your post you mentioned RedWeek. I have never heard of this company until you mentioned it. My question to you, are they legitimate? Is it true that you know of to sell your timeshare all they charge you is $125 plus $399 (after you've sold)? All the other timeshare resale sights want way more than that. I'm thinking of selling 2 of my timeshares and only keeping one. I don't need 3. We fell into the trap of, "oh you'll be able to pass this on to your kids....." We didn't realize we would be passing the HIGH maintenance fees on to our children/family. It's terrible how the timeshare companies have trick millions of people into buying their dream vacations. I wish we could sue them and get our money back. There is a company called American Credit Consumer who claims they can sue the timeshare companies and recoup almost all of our monies back. However, they want $2000-$3000 upfront to get just the paper started and the ball rolling. I'm not convinced they are legitimate just because all of their testimonials say they are the "bomb". So that is why I'm inquiring about RedWeek. Are they really legitimate? Do they really rent and or sell your timeshares for a nominal fee? Thanks.

Cecelia E.
Jun 29, 2016

Cecelia -

You will find over and over again on these Forums pages to never pay any company upfront who claims they can recoup your money. Once you have made your payment, you will probably never hear from the company again -- or they will ask you for more money.

RedWeek is one of the few timeshare companies with an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and has been in business since 2002. If you have questions about selling your timeshares on our website, please Contact Us .

Thanks, Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Oct 02, 2017

Hi there, we are desperate to get out of our timeshare weeks and maintenance fees. Did Sheraton produce legal documents to prove you were no longer owners and therefore no longer obligated to pay annual maintenance fees?

We are presently seeking Time Share Exit Team assistance, but still having unsettled feelings about going this route. Are you familiar with this company and how they assist you with exiting your timeshare contract/ownership?

Any counsel would be most appreciated.

Dinah C.
Sep 09, 2018

Now that Marriott has joined with Sheraton and new sales are deeded to different properties and they are now using the point system instead of weeks, how does it affect those who buy a resale?

Dawn C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.