Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

Dec 13, 2010

You own property. If you stopped paying, they can put a lein on your house or other property.

Your credit, etc will all be impacted. And yes, they can fine you up the wazoo.

If you have paid off your mortgage, you can just turn it over to them.

Dan K.
Dec 17, 2010

I do not owe DRI any money except for this year's annual maintenance fee. Are you saying that there is no way out of this for me except to continue paying them year after year for something that I no longer want?

I am willing to give up the more than $20,000 I invested in this timeshare when I bought it through Sunterra. I am not willing to continue paying for something that I have no intention of using. I just want out!

DRI is like a mafia protection racket. They just keep bleeding you for more and more of your money. Supposedly we really do not own anything except the right to spend time in the resorts. If we really do not own anything, then why do we have to pay a property maintenance fee?

I reiterate. Is my only choice to keep paying them money every year?

Nena

Nena A.
Dec 17, 2010

nenaa4 wrote:
I do not owe DRI any money except for this year's annual maintenance fee. Are you saying that there is no way out of this for me except to continue paying them year after year for something that I no longer want?

I am willing to give up the more than $20,000 I invested in this timeshare when I bought it through Sunterra. I am not willing to continue paying for something that I have no intention of using. I just want out!

DRI is like a mafia protection racket. They just keep bleeding you for more and more of your money. Supposedly we really do not own anything except the right to spend time in the resorts. If we really do not own anything, then why do we have to pay a property maintenance fee?

I reiterate. Is my only choice to keep paying them money every year?

Nena

Nena, What do you own and where. I own several at DRI resorts. I will help you if I can. No cost, no scam, I just can see you are very frustrated. If there is value in what you own, then you should be able to recover something.

Gary B.
Dec 18, 2010

gary769, How can you assist? I'm in a similar spot. I own, fully paid off, but am no longer interested in my property. I own 1 week in Maui, Hawaiii.

Nenna, You can surrender your property over to them. Just make sure you are paid for the year and they'll take it back. There may be fees with it, not sure.

Dan K.
Dec 18, 2010

Seems to me that if you own a timeshare, then it is like owning part of a house in that you still need to pay taxes, etc. For what it is worth, I saw one Point at Poipu timeshare auctioned and sold on Ebay a few months ago. Didn't get much, but it sold in about a week of the listing date. I haven't looked since. I still go each year and I don't intend to sell or stop using it. Hope you can work out your needs.

Robert M.
Dec 18, 2010

One way I might assist is in aquiring the property myself. It all depends on what it is and where it is. I already own several weeks at KBC in Maui. Tell me more about your ownership. Is it a deeded week or points in the Hawaii trust? When did you acquire it. How much are the maintenance fees? What is the view category, etc.? Probably to e-mail me directly is best at garybodine@juno.com. No BS, After you fill me in with a few of the details, I will tell you if I am interested,

Gary B.
Dec 19, 2010

I just surrendered 8,500 points back to Diamond through their collection department. I did not owe a morgage and all fees were current but the rep gave me this option when I complained about the annual fee. I just did not want to pay them 1,500 30% increase and decided to cut my loss. It does not effect your credit and releaves you of the annual maintence fees and they sell it again. i was happy they accepted it and no 2011 fees for me.

Tracy W.
Dec 19, 2010

Nena,

I agree with you Nena! They have been successfully taken to court for a couple of lawsuits for misrepresenting finances to their stockholders. How much more serious is it that they misrepresented to us as buyers! They're hoping you'll just walk away from your money which they said would be well invested, if your presentation was any like the one I attended! And, apparently around the time of at least one of these lawsuits they sold more "timeshares" than ever to unsuspecting people?

File a complaint with these 3 bodies. It's worth it! Don't let them just get away with this... Tell your story simply. Tell them about any misrepresentation that they have done; I don't know which state you purchased in, so I gave the information for at least Arizona. Then, you can check for your own state. Were they supposed to give you a Public Offering Report - and before you signed - which warned you not to sign until you read it?

Report them/complain to 1. Federal Trade Commission https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ 2. Arizona Dept of Real Estate http://www.re.state.az.us/ 3. Arizona Attorney General http://www.azag.gov/consumer/

You will see the links on these pages for "complaints" and information on how to file successfully. Don't let them continue this illegal way of contradicting.

Cindy K.
Dec 19, 2010

Furthermore, in Arizona there is a 5 year period wherein if they are investigated and found to be guilty of fraud/misrepresentation the contract can be voided. I also purchased under Sunterra...research the time in which you purchased and if they disclosed their own plans to sell to Diamond Resorts. They had also had previous negotiations which fell through with another timeshare company.

Who can lead us in a class action suit?

This is what I think is happening with this scam. 1. You buy and fill up some DRI executive and a few real estate coffers, while they know their product will not be of the value they claim: "an investment to help keep down vacation costs". They know the costs will soon go up more than any vacation you would ever agree to purchase! 2. Costs go up for you, more than you can afford. So, you want out. The maintenance fees aren't worth it! 3. You 'let it go' and they can sell it again. 4. Meanwhile, they pressure you to sell because it's difficult to get the weeks and their "double point" program is a farce. Why bother when it's difficult to enforce them to keep their word that these units available 60/90 days before the date, cost half as many points. They first usurp those units and rent them out at ridiculously cheaper rates to non-DRI owners. They are selling what they have claimed you have purchased, and not reserving it for you, but putting you in competition with them for those units. Yet, they offer the "double points system" as a "buying point." A way to get "further value." 5. No one stops them, and so by default, other consumers are pulled into this trap thinking that this must be a more reputable timeshare company. The Dept of Real Estate is not doing a proper job of warning buyers. So, please complain.

Check out class action suits websites which keep you current on suits. There are a few against Sunterra, but I can't remember if one is still awaiting a decision. Of course, these were done by wealthy stockholders. But, can you imagine if all of us Sunterra/Diamond Resorts owners took a stand against them, and the Departments of Real Estate which allow this corruption?! We would be more effective - since the money we've lost collectively is more.

Is there not a good lawyer out there waiting to make some decent money against this giant mill of corruption?

Cindy K.
Dec 19, 2010

Don't give up! Complain! Protect other innocent people. File a complaint with these 3 bodies. It's worth it! Don't let them just get away with this... Tell your story simply. Tell them about any misrepresentation that they have done; I don't know which state you purchased in, so I gave the information for at least Arizona. Then, you can check for your own state. Were they supposed to give you a Public Offering Report - and before you signed - which warned you not to sign until you read it?

Report them/complain to 1. Federal Trade Commission https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ 2. Arizona Dept of Real Estate http://www.re.state.az.us/ 3. Arizona Attorney General http://www.azag.gov/consumer/

You will see the links on these pages for "complaints" and information on how to file successfully. Don't let them continue this illegal way of contradicting.

Cindy K.
Dec 20, 2010

There is a lawyer on St Martin waiting to help people and who defended me in the case against Diamond resorts where I won the case, His name is Mr MADURO and he is a St MAARTENER willing to fight and order an investigation>>>>>>>>>>>.. a real one not like the other one Contact me if you want as I can get his email Pamela

Pamela J.
Dec 20, 2010

Have a look at www.americanmafia.com and you will see that the owner of Diamond contributed to the legal fees of an American senator under investigation. I have tried here by myself as they have my money and I have NO CONTRACTS and as well they have not given me the new weeks I now have lost the use of FOUR weeks However on the island I also visited the Prosecutor's office. No luck there either as they over loaded. YOU need to order an investigation into the business side of that company on St MAARTEN. I told the Judge I can not go to an office here and pay my fees only OVER THE INTERNET TO LAS VEGAS. The company is registered in BONNINGTON STREET EDINBURGH. The Judge told them and they have not done it. they also have not proven that the increase in maintenance fees is being used on St Martin. However as is custom ELIZABETH BRENNAN will sue you as soon as you tell the TRUTH and as the Judge told their lawyer the TRUTH is never slander. You in the States need to find out just where all the money is going and that can not be done from st Maarten. The employees told me he flew here on his LEAR JET and stayed at the WESTIN HOTEL and NOT at his own resorts Royal palm and Flamingo and WHY NOT? Who paid that bill? The prosecutor is RIENK MUDD if you all want to contact him too. I was referred to a fraud detective but I have not found that person yet> the prosecutor also implied they have no funds here for investigations. Contact CNBC show!

Pamela J.
Dec 21, 2010

Thanks for being helpful on this. Can you give any more information about the lawsuit you won? Any documents that I can show Arizona and the Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission.

I have heard that they try to "sue back" when you tell the truth. And yes, the truth is not slander.

Cindy K.
Dec 22, 2010

I have an odd question. If you go back to your home resort, can you 'talk' to them to convince them to buy it back? I would have no problem walking past the sales area and telling a few potential customers about the problems I've had and a kill a few sales if they dont want to listen to me.

Dan K.
Dec 22, 2010

dank162 wrote:
I have an odd question. If you go back to your home resort, can you 'talk' to them to convince them to buy it back?

You can 'talk' to them. You can ask them to take a deedback. Whether they will or not depends on the resort and if, among other factors, it has many unsold units.

Lance C.
Dec 22, 2010

"Talk" to them? Yes, we've tried. Just as we asked very clear questions when we were in the process of figuring out if we should buy with them. It all points to this -- they want you to purchase, but then they provide less than promised, ask for more than they said they would, and seem to have a "contract" that imprisons you. That is, they say there's no way out except to just let it go which means you lose it all if you're paid up.

But, in the case of another woman who emailed me, they also threaten the poor woman with lowering her credit score if she doesn't continue on their payment treadmill. Definitely, evil. Backed by "lies", which need a strong lawyer/Attorney General to defend others from falling for.

Cindy K.
Dec 23, 2010

I just thought of something...if anyone thinks this is bad then you should see those purchasing a 2nd home on foreign soil. RCI pales in terms of dollars spent compared to these fools!

OREJimJeweksTimeshare R.
Dec 23, 2010

Anybody own there?

OREJimJeweksTimeshare R.
Dec 24, 2010

Yes I do have the judgement and will try to send it to this site. The lawyer also wanted to place it all over the Internet as the DIAMOND RESORTS have not done what the judge said> to open an office for financial transactions on the island of St Martin. If he is operating from LAS VEGAS and has the land registered at an address in BONINGTON ST Edinburgh Scotland it smells fishy. HOW are the M Fees the HIGHEST on the island with NO DETALS available where the money is sent. ONLY a cheap PHOTOCOPY of so called expenses Please have a look at the entry I have on the www.canyoutrustthem.com as ther British also are disgusted. Tell me how a 43 year old alone can own the LARGEST as he boasts timeshare company. An owner recently here told me they called her in the States to get an 'American contract' Time to check up Finally maybe the new government may check him out. I was referred to a journalist on St Maarten and I will contact him The Judgment is in Dutch ad the person to translate it proprerly has not done so yet. Keep at it and I wil help you! I am a single mother and been ripped of now of FOUR weeks. ELIZABETH BRENAN be sure will send a threat of suing but s the JUDGE told the lawyer here THE TRUTH IS NEVER SLANDER Have a look at www.americanmafia.com and the Huffington Post. let me know and I shall get you the judgement Pamela

Pamela J.
Dec 24, 2010

Perhaps you can let me know your email to send you the judgment direct? I am alone here trying to get the JUSTICE we all deserve and especially the correct M FEES perhaps hecan sell the lear jet? Let me know as I will chase after the guy to finish the translation pamela

Pamela J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.