Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

May 08, 2011

pauls701 wrote:
gary769 wrote:
ermanc wrote:
Greetings, Can anyone verify DRI is still accepting units and points using a surrender process. Also need to verify the fee. Is it $250 per unit or $250 for the service including multiple weeks etc.

Thx Erman

I believe you can surrender them, and the $250 fee is the transfer fee per week. I do not know if they will charge you the transfer fee to surrender.

I just called DRI and they said there is "no such thing" as surrending one's contract back to DRI... I have points, no deed, and everything is paid up to date. I feel they are just saying this to avoid taking back any more contracts.

I would really like to know really specific information on how to surrender a DRI contract.

Sheri K.
May 08, 2011

If you don't have a loan and don't pay your maintenance fees, they will take away your points. Poof! Look in your rule books. I know this to be true.

And they don't ask for $250.00 either.

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on May 08, 2011 04:47 PM

May 08, 2011

This is very, very wrong. Shall we find a lawyer now? Can you imagine that while they were facing a classaction suit by large companies (I think Home Depot was one of them...I"ll need to check my notes) in 2006, that they began to seek after smaller sized "organizations" such as families? Because they knew that we don't have as much money to take them into class action suits. I asked if they were facing any lawsuits at the time of our purchase in 2006. Of course, they said 'no'. Now, with years for updates I have discovered they were facing class action suits which they lost against these companies, Sunterra/DRI's lies have shown up. Let me know. I know a good lawyer!

Cindy K.
May 08, 2011

Yes we need to get good lawyers. I won my case against them where Cloobeck tried to get $15,000 for slander but the Honorable Judge threw it out saying the TRUTH IS NEVER SLANDER Have a look at www.canyoutrustthem.com diamond resorts. Also www.drip.webs.com is in the UK looking for members. www.blogs.mirror.co.uk /diamond where a journalist is investigating them andrew.penman@mirror.co.uk Type in Cloobeck Haiti designer clothing and see what comes up!

Pamela J.
May 10, 2011

What can they do to you if you just don't pay maintenance fees and no longer book vacations? Isn't it theirs again???

Karla M.
May 10, 2011

charless345 wrote:
If you don't have a loan and don't pay your maintenance fees, they will take away your points. Poof! Look in your rule books. I know this to be true.

And they don't ask for $250.00 either.

I am copying and pasting the DRI rule book on the subject of suspensions and terminations.

What are the procedures for suspension or termination of membership? 18.1 Suspension Suspension is the temporary withdrawal of membership rights, such as the right to make reservations or use the features and/or benefits of THE Club®. The Club Operating Company will notify the member of its decision to suspend or reinstate a membership by an appropriate communication method. There are a number of reasons why a membership may be suspended and may include, but are not limited to, any one or a combination of the following: v Conduct unbecoming a member of THE Club®. v Breach of the rules and regulations of THE Club®, including untimely or non-payment of dues, late penalty charges and any other charges that may be levied by the Club Operating Company together with the untimely or non-payment of a loan or finance arrangement. v Unavailability of the week/accommodation which has been assigned by a member to THE Club®, if applicable. v Unacceptable transfer or renting of accommodation choices for commercial purposes. During suspension a member cannot make new reservations and any reservations currently confirmed are subject to cancellation. New annual points allocations will not be allocated to a member during a suspension. If membership is suspended for non-payment of dues for THE Club®, late penalty charges will continue to accrue until payment of all money due is made in full. 18.2 Termination Members may have their membership terminated if they elect to withdraw their original fixed or floating week assigned to THE Club® or it becomes unavailable for use by members of THE Club®. Termination may also be the ultimate action taken against a member who has been suspended in circumstances where the member fails to refrain from inappropriate conduct or to remedy the breach following suspension. Termination will only occur 30 days after the written notification of the proposed termination has been sent to the member. Termination of a membership is deemed as the complete withdrawal of membership rights on a permanent basis.

Sheri K.
May 10, 2011

Please have a look at www.drip.webs.com to see the number of people world wide who are being ripped off by Stephen Cloobeckand Diamond resorts International. It is incredible if you see the amount of people he is cheating.. Innocent people who are his victims whilst if you also see the site. www.prweb.com/releases/2010/02/prweb3593834.htm where he feels he has to donate DESIGNER clothing to the women of HAITI who don't even have houses.... He also donates regularly to political figures and that you can find on www.newsmeat.com and www.fundrace.com... just search... political donations cloobeck stephen on google. Also for his wife Chantal and relatives Sheldon and Richard. www.americanmafia.com where you will find that the $1,5 million dollars legal counsel was contributed by Stephen Cloobeck. All this is on www.canyoutrustthem.com as well search DIAMOND RESORTS. They lost the case where they tried to sue me for slander and the Honourable Judge told Cloobeck's lawyer............the TRUTH IS NEVER SLANDER and the judge even said he found more as well against that client. It is time that someone stops Stephen CLOOBECK from his dishonest means of victimising innocent people who all they want is a vacation.. Besides which why does Stephen Cloobeck stay at the WESTIN hotel when he comes to St Martin on his learjet and does not stay at his resorts... perhaps he too is not satisfied with the standard? Everybody join forces with www.drip.webs.com( Diamond Resorts International Protestors group in the UK) and send your opinion to the British investigative journalist andrew.penman@mirror.co.uk

Pamela J.
May 10, 2011

Madame have a look at www.drip.webs.com and send your opinion to andrew.penman@mirror.co.uk... a British investigative journalist. there are also 137 pages on the site www.blogs.mirror.co.uk and search for Diamond Resorts International. I have my own case in the courts against Stephen Cloobeck where they tried to sue me form $15,000 slander and they LOST> the Dutch Supreme Court Judge told his lawyer.. THE TRUTH IS NEVER SLANDER and threw out the case. As revenge Stephen CLOOBECK and DRI blocked me using my weeks for which I have paid for but they can not do mathematics and even since 2009 they have blocked me \banking my weeks where they SNEAKED in a $5 fee VOLUNTARY fee for the AMERICAN resort developers association. I refused to pay that and as I had already paid the RIP OFF fee of $1013.79 I deducted the $10 from the declared fee of $1008,79 SO DRI blocked me banking my 2009 week and NOW week 17 I was denied entry to my unit 7132 week 17 where STEPHEN CLOOBECK had placed THOMAS COOK HOLIDAY MAKERS so Stephen CLOOBECK has received for that unit my fee of $1238,49 plus the payments from THOMAS COOK England and William PEMBERTON. FRONT DESK MANAGER as there is NO manager there took FIVE HOURS to deliberately leave us waiting..me and my daughter with our luggage to then say UNLESS YOU PAY THE OVER $6000 you can not enter the unit. That is EXTORTION no?? In 2009 same thing and the then manager told me GO GET A GOOD LAWYER. Should anyone want to join me against that man and his company I am making the case against him as a single mother and I will NOT tolerate his aggression and actions on St Maarten. I have also given the budget statements from 2007 until 2011 where he has collected $32 million dollars paid to LAS VEGAS and NOTHING on St Maarten. let the tax man here deal with that now... he is a candidate for DATELINE

Pamela J.
May 11, 2011

go to loss mitigation department and they will surrender it. I just did it.

Tracy W.
May 12, 2011

Dear tracyw148, did dri ask for the $250 surrender/transfer fee? i called loss and mitigation today and they said they could send me the paperwork to surrender but it would cost $250 to process.

tracyw148 wrote:
go to loss mitigation department and they will surrender it. I just did it.

Sheri K.
May 15, 2011

This was a good example of the sort of question which should be addressed to the resort company, not random strangers. We can't know the detail of how all the timeshare companies work. Keeping our own straight is hard enough! MD

Mary D.
Jun 02, 2011

Many people have either paid the fee to join the club, or have been given the club membership as an inducement to purchase. DRI in their sales presentations implies the value of points membership. Have you heard statements like these ? "so if you ever wanted to sell the time you can not use you can actually make money at it" Or "if you want to sell your points later this is a good investment". But when you do sell your points membership they take the club privileges away, there by decreasing the value of your points. I guess they forget to tell that part. I am in the process of filing a lawsuit against DRI if you want to be kept up to date, the above items sound all to familiar, or just want to chat go to http://www.diamondresortsowners.com and send me an email.

GB

Guido B.

Last edited by guidob on Jun 02, 2011 06:39 PM

Jun 02, 2011

yes they charged 250.00 to surrender the contract but I felt it was worth every penny.

Tracy W.
Jun 02, 2011

regarding dri not letting us sell "the club":

what does your contract say you paid for? does it spell out that you paid for "the club" or just points?

Sheri K.
Jun 03, 2011

If DRI during the sale process puts a value on the club, and then uses not paying for it as an inducement to purchase. They have established a value to it. So whether you paid money for it, or it was an inducement it to purchase makes no difference the Value is there. The value was established by DRI. Without that value you might not of purchased, therefore taking it away would definitely decrease the value of your points. So if anyone has purchased and the contract does not say you paid for the club, it is very relevant. If you gave your contract back to DRI, or sold it and you feel you did not get the value that DRI led you to believe it was going to be worth you might want to contact me. If DRI has a policy that purposely diminishes the benefits of a contract that is a huge liability for them. You should contact me. I am in the process of filing a lawsuit against DRI. The more people we have to accurately testify to their practices during the presentation the better. Whether you are no longer an owner or you continue to own with DRI, if you feel you have not been treated fairly please contact me, the link is below.

http://www.diamondresortsowners.com and send me an email.

GB

Guido B.
Jun 04, 2011

dear guido,

are you trying to rent dri in this vacation business? or are you trying to sell dri alone?

Sheri K.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jun 04, 2011 06:24 PM

Jun 04, 2011

I would like you to contact me. pamelzoe@yahoo.com I am in the court against Diamond. have a look at www.canyoutrustthem.com search Diamond resorts You will also find in the UK they have started a Diamond Resorts International Protestors Group www.drip.webs.com.. Join them Andrew Penman an investigative journalist is also on their case and there is a blog on the Mirror.co.uk against Diamond. As you say we have to join together. I will join you. PJ

Pamela J.
Jun 04, 2011

Dear Sheri, I have a waterfront vacation house we have been renting out for years to some of our friends, that is what is pictured. We also own a few timeshares around the world which I let them have access to also. By the comments you have posted on this board I assume you work for DRI. If you do tell your bosses at DRI Patrick Duffy and Brad Harris that I said hi. I know they patrol these boards for damage control. Guido B

Guido B.

Last edited by guidob on Jun 04, 2011 03:05 PM

Jun 06, 2011

Dear Guido, no, I do not work for dri. I am an owner with points apparently useful only in the u.s. collection if I transfer or sell to another party. I bought into the timeshare when it was Epic, then it was bought by Sunterra and lastly picked up by dri. I therefore do not have any contract with dri, only my original contract with Epic. That contract was for points with an annual membership in Interval. Apparently when dri picked up Sunterra, their rules and membership applied and Interval was included. They thereby had more control over the fees and relationship with Interval. Original interval membership with Epic was only $50/year with all exchange privileges. Now dri charges outrageous fees ($274/year) and Interval nor rci will sell their exchange separately to a dri owner. I was hoping your contract spelled out something that could help us sell "the club" along with our points. Otherwise it is an unattractive sale as you know. The only document available to me is the rulebook, which only mentions terminations and suspensions briefly. They sent me an application for transferring to another party, which we plan to exercise even if we have to give it away or give it back. There's a $250 charge in either case.

Sheri K.
Jun 06, 2011

Dear Sheri, then you should be very concerned. If DRI is violating consumer Antitrust laws by their policy of dropping the club on a resale, which reduces the value of the membership, this should be a huge concern for all. And why would a company that is "your partner”, as they like to term it have a policy like that? I guess that will be for the courts to decide. Also if we can prove intent on their part, officers of the company can be held liable. So time will tell.

Guido B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.