Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

Jun 18, 2015

Diamond Resorts is not looking to take your timeshare back, believe me. They are out there buying up more resorts.

Opal W.
Jun 18, 2015

Diamond is renting inventory to the public. That's why you can't get in. Look at vrbo.com and you'll see your resort's inventory being rented.

Opal W.
Sep 03, 2015

Is anyone going to the PREMIERE VACATION COLLECTION OWNERS ASSOCIATION, INC. ANNUAL MEETING? I don't want to give my proxy to the governing board as some of them are Diamond employees. I'd like to give our vote to someone who will address the almost tripling of our maintenance fees.

opalw3 wrote:
Diamond is renting inventory to the public. That's why you can't get in. Look at vrbo.com and you'll see your resort's inventory being rented.

Louise D.
Oct 02, 2015

I am happy to say that we finally found a way out of this hell hole after losing thousands to resale companies. My wife found an advocacy group that guided us in getting rid of our deed that was now nothing but a burden after years of rising assessment and maintenance fees. They did require a fee but was very minimal to what we paying in yearly maintenance fees. After paying thousands of dollars for about 30,000 points, we took it as terrible lost and deeded it back to them. The points system is the biggest scam that I have ever encountered I feel like is just what Bernie Madoff did. They are basically selling time and doing it in a way that should not be aloud. This may not be the case with everyone but seems to be pretty familiar pattern and based on the experiences my wife and I had. Best advice I would give is walk away from these crazy fees if you get the chance. If you are looking to get help I would contact the group TRN we worked with out of Portland, ME who was able to rid us of our deed with no risk. It took about 3 months but we are no longer owners which is all that matters now. We might have lost a lot of money in this damn timeshare but not being owners any longer is true bliss. Best of luck to those of you looking to cancel your contract, don't give up there is help.

Grace C.
Oct 03, 2015

Gracec97...congratulations! After we got DR to accept transfer of our deed, we were kind of depressed at having lost so much money. It took a little while, but then we accepted the concept of "not throwing more good money after bad" and cutting our losses, etc. We have learned our lesson (I hope) about signing contracts without fully understanding and appreciating the long term effects and possibilities. For those for whom the time-share ownership has been successful, we are happy, but for us, it was just a bad experience.

Linda B.
Oct 04, 2015

DRI is selling more 'Points' than they can ever accommodate, its like 'selling air', and in my opinion is a fraudulent business model... Then they will use your money to defend themselves against any and all members or groups of members.... The Class Action Lawsuit that was filed by the COPP group was a huge opportunity to expose that 'business model' to the public, as well as stacking the oversight boards with DRI friendly employee's and people connected to them... We walked away from over $ 54,000 in purchase price in cash, and many years of increasing fee's and assessments for damage to the facilities that were known and hidden from potential new members.... "Just get the money" is their Motto

Michael D.
Oct 05, 2015

I got rid of my DRI timeshare (kaui) a few years ago, thank God! We did loose thousands after doing this but it was well worth it...no more headache! One good thing out of that timeshare was that my family and I enjoyed many Hawaiian vacations with it, BEFORE they were bought out by DRI. I was able to get a few thousand dollars refund from DRI after they had me agree to not let anyone know about this but I'm doing it anyways!! Briefly, here is how: Several years ago I, like many of you was talked into buying more points for a few thousand dollars, to get more time. After everything started happening (assessments, etc) I filed a complaint with the BBB on what DRI was doing. It was a few years ago and I don't remember specifics of what I said but basically it was about their unfair business practices. Not long after doing this I was SHOCKED to get a phone call from a DRI "bigwig" (sorry but I don't remember his name) saying he would refund me every dollar spent on the "additional points purchase" if I would then tell the BBB it was taking care of. I did not believe him but I thought what the heck so I said yes. Within 2 weeks I received a check for that exact amount! I couldn't believe it! I still lost thousands of dollars on this timeshare but that check made it a bit more bearable. This was several years ago but It might be worth it for you guys to try this! If you do, good luck!

Rick M.
Jul 08, 2016

Diamond has a voluntary surrender program if maintenance fees have become unmanageable. To review the rules cut and paste link: http://timesharegame.com/get-rid-of-diamond-resorts-timeshare/ if browser does not go directly to site click on: How to get rid of your Diamond Resorts timeshare There is a rare opportunity to have your voice heard if you have purchased Diamond in AZ. The AZ Attorney General is one of just few offices that is actively investigating Diamond. Now is the time to move your experiences from bulletin boards to public record where they can contribute to a real solution. If you feel you have experienced fraud and/or deception in the sales process with Diamond describe it in a letter and send it to link below Ask that it be filed with case #CIC 16-4021; Diamond Resorts consumerinfo@azag.gov The AZ Department of Real Estate investigates violations of the real estate statutes and Commissioner’s Rules by licensed real estate brokers and salespeople. * A.R.S. § 32-2197.19(C) states, inter alia, “No developer or agent shall, in selling or leasing, or offering to sell or lease, any timeshare interest in a timeshare plan: 1. Employ any device, scheme or artifice to defraud. 3. Engage in any transaction, practice or course of business which operates or would operate as a fraud or deceit upon a purchaser.” Below is link to their recovery fund whose purpose is to assist those that have been harmed. http://www.azre.gov/EnC/RecFund.aspx

Mark S.
Aug 21, 2016

Thank you Marks. I bought my first set of Diamond Points in Scottsdale, which was my home resort. I actually built up a portfolio of 96,500 points. I was recently served with a 'Cease and Desist' order from Diamond, and they have seized approx $11,000 in my stock (at maintenance fee value), gave me a one year suspension, and I was given a set of rules. The offence was advertising for renting my timeshare to a third party. Now when I was in Scottsdale, I was specific about the fact that I would be purchasing this for joint personal usage and also for investment. For half an hour of the presentation, we discussed all this, they asked where I rent my points out, and suggested stock for the best rentals. Of course, they also got me to sign a form before I left that stated that 'nothing has induced me to purchase the timeshare, and that the legal documents are the basis' for this purchase etc (something to that effect). I questioned them on this, and they shrugged it off, saying it was just a legal requirement that they had to have, and that the purchase conversion from my Scottsdale deed to Diamond points could not proceed without my signature. So I signed this warranty to them. Over the last 10 years, they have stripped many of the benefits I purchased for, and I feel have changed the rules significantly, though I am not sure exactly when they made this non-rental restriction into their programme, but even in 2009 when I purchased again in Florida, they were still encouraging investment rentals of their product. Anyway, I am glad to see your post because I will be contacting the AZ State Attorney and pursuing this. Diamond recently stated that the total replacement cost of my 96,500 points (plus the other 34,500 points I own) was somewhere well in excess of $600,000...I think that Diamond are about to try and steal this from me, and they are saying that I still need to pay maintenance fees etc whilst under suspension....even though I cannot use them for one year i.e. pay $20,000+ for the right to book next year in the low season where I couldn't even use 130,000 points in 2.5 months. I would be interested in learning of your experience, if you could spare a little time for this. You seem to have been successful in this against Diamond, and that is a rare experience. I thank you for your post...it has just made me feel much better, and at least now I feel that I have a hope of some recourse before Diamond do their thing again, and try and heavy me as per usual. Thank you so much.

PS. I even question how legal Diamond Resort's whole structure is... even though not every country requires registration as a travel agent, many of them require a foreign entity to register as a business when 'doing business' in a jurisdiction. I quickly researched a few countries and found that Diamond Resorts International has no business registrations, no tax records (at least not in my country registration), and no presence whatsoever, and yet, if one looks ta how much they charge for some of the Australasian region, the cost in points can be more than 6-8 times retail price...so much for the 'hedge against inflation' argument basis for timeshare that they also sold me upon.

Justin S.
Aug 24, 2016

I bought a timeshare that was managed by Sunterra. DR took over and my HOA fees went from $770 to $1750 per week. I would join a class action suit.

Jeff N.
Aug 24, 2016

Yep, just gotta love that 'hedge against inflation' argument! I remember my fees were increased one year by 20%+ and they put in the not that 'strong economy, wages high etc'. A year later, the GFC happened, and excuse for a 30%+ increase was "weak economy, defaults' etc. Seems that the only thing we can rely upon is them lining their own pockets. I get the feeling that a class action is going to happen soon, and yes, I would be in that also!

Justin S.
Aug 25, 2016

Now that DI has scammed as much money from us as possible, they are selling out to Apollo so as to reduce or eliminate their legal exposure from class action suites and Attorney General action. Cloobeck is a scam bag!

Jeff N.
Aug 25, 2016

The best thing we ever did was to buy fee simple on the secondary market and NEVER bought points. This way we use our ocean front timeshare every year and we retain equal rights to other deeded owners. The points people are sent to another pool of owners, who DRI places within a group of resorts collection. Good luck if you bought at the preferred resort and are trying to get back into it. Fee simple owners without points ALWAYS get to stay their home resort for the annual maintenance fee and no additional costs.

Robert M.
Aug 25, 2016

We had a deeded week at Kaanapali Beach Club that we really enjoyed every other year. But as we got older the 8 hour flight was too much for our bodies, so we TRIED to get Diamond to take it back. They would not take it back. We ended up using it in 2015, the PAID a company $1500 to take it off our hands. It was less than one year of maintenance fees and we feel we are better off. It sounds like maybe DI has had a special assessment fee for the Hawaiian Collection AGAIN!

Bob C.
Aug 25, 2016

Please email me Jeff! sbharbison@gmail.com

Susan B.
Jan 11, 2017

We are having the same issues! What company did you pay to take it off your hands???

Susan E.
Jan 11, 2017

We would also join a class action law suit against Diamond, now Apollo! Susan Eveland

Susan E.
Jan 18, 2017

We have owned a week during spring break for twenty years. Diamond international has changed the rules since they bought our Scottsdale property. We can no longer get the week we have used for over 7 years. They told us it was not available even though we were told in the property office the day before that there were still units available. I lodged a complaint with the Las Vegas headquarters. When the returned our call , we were told the units were saved for points and monitary rentals. We were told they could not fulfill our week request. We have been trying for over 6 weeks to get our floating week at this resort. They then told us points were the way to go and offered to sell us points. We can now not reserve our week as the Phoenix waste management week is just to busy. I am interested in a class action suit applying to bought weeks not worth as much and a suit representing owners actually not getting units so diamond can rent instead

Cindy S.
Jan 18, 2017

cindys729 wrote:
We have owned a week during spring break for twenty years. Diamond international has changed the rules since they bought our Scottsdale property. We can no longer get the week we have used for over 7 years. They told us it was not available even though we were told in the property office the day before that there were still units available. I lodged a complaint with the Las Vegas headquarters. When the returned our call , we were told the units were saved for points and monitary rentals. We were told they could not fulfill our week request. We have been trying for over 6 weeks to get our floating week at this resort. They then told us points were the way to go and offered to sell us points. We can now not reserve our week as the Phoenix waste management week is just to busy. I am interested in a class action suit applying to bought weeks not worth as much and a suit representing owners actually not getting units so diamond can rent instead

Good luck with that!

We had a class action at Los Abrigados some years back. Result: (1) the attorneys for both sides got paid. (2) the plaintiffs - us - ended up getting something like a $40 credit to use in one year and only at the resort. I got a bathrobe out of it. (3) the attorney fees contributed to the then owner's ILX insolvency and bankruptcy, resulting ultimately in the takeover by Diamond, who (4) promptly jacked up the annual fee and started scamming the deeded owners with their various points schemes.

David K.
Jan 20, 2017

ARIZONA ATTORNEY GENERAL $800000 settlement with DRI and Assurance of Discontinuance IMPORTANT NEWS There is a class action being filed on contingency, but anyone who lives in Arizona and bought DRI anywhere, or anyone who bought in Arizona is eligible to file a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General's office to receive a portion of the $800000 settlement for violating the Arizona deceptive business practices act. We just published the article below today at Inside Timeshare in Spain. The 37 page Assurance of Discontinuance can be found in our article linked at the bottom of the AZ AG press release. The document is a beautiful thing to behold because the AG threw out the oral representation clause and part of the settlement require a relinquishment option, but you must file online or by mail within 120 days.

http://insidetimeshare.com/attorneys-general-timeshare-trump/

Class actions can take years. If you are part of a class action you must continue to pay mortgage payments and maintenance fees. If you are struggling with loan payments and are worried about your credit, it's best to work one on one with a legitimate timeshare attorney. Be very careful and don't pay by the hour unless you really know the attorney. Class actions are when everyone has the same damage like a medical device claim for a defective knee replacement, for example. Timeshare is not that cut and dry. If you win a class action DRI will appeal and that takes at least another year. You signed a contract that says you will not join a class action. There are ways around that but it's very difficult and DRI has an army of lawyers.

If you want more one on one information you can find me at my public Facebook page at Facebook/irene.parker.7923 I am a Diamond owner who went on a writing rampage after a pathetically aggressive sales presentation at Grand Beach Orlando July 2015. I was a paid advocate for children in foster care writing and editing court reports and attending all hearings and trials. The same skills apply. If you want me to confidentially review the complaint you file so that it is appropriate court report language, no charge. I'm here to help. A couple of my friends got on the complaint sites and told posters to stop whining and act. It takes hundreds of complaints to get action. If you cannot resolve your issues with Diamond through their Consumer Advocacy Department file a complaint with the AG where you live, where you signed, and Nevada. I am working with a DRI PR person (does not work for DRI) and with a DRI attorney. If you have a slam dunk case of fraud, I can intervene on your behalf. I have helped several be released from contracts, a full refund for one owner and then they stopped discussing terms but DRI is being very helpful thanks to the articles like the one we published today. Good luck!

Irene P.

Last edited by irenep59 on Jan 20, 2017 12:50 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.