Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

Mar 07, 2009

I am truly interested in joining a class action suit against these people. I am furious at the annual increases. With today's economy (or lack of it) how can they possibly continue these horrendous rate increases. I have spoken to countless people at DRI (after waiting on hold for at times over an hour). I finally wrote to Governor Lingle (Hawaii), and yes they responded. The Governor's office has requested additional information, which will be referred to their DRE. I also emailed Jerry Brown, CA Attorney General. His office has referred me to the Dept. of Real Estate, and they have advised this will be followed. I am in the process of composing my letter to them and will provide both Hawaii and California with all of the details I can possible. I urge all of you who have written/called and received a "deaf ear" to email both Governor Lingle in Hawaii and the Attorney General and Department of Real Estate in your State and state your cause. Remember, maybe I am totally naive, but I do believe in due process and these elected officals are in office because of us. Hopefully they can help us.

Sandra S.
Mar 09, 2009

sandras337 wrote:
I am truly interested in joining a class action suit against these people. I am furious at the annual increases. With today's economy (or lack of it) how can they possibly continue these horrendous rate increases. I have spoken to countless people at DRI (after waiting on hold for at times over an hour). I finally wrote to Governor Lingle (Hawaii), and yes they responded. The Governor's office has requested additional information, which will be referred to their DRE. I also emailed Jerry Brown, CA Attorney General. His office has referred me to the Dept. of Real Estate, and they have advised this will be followed. I am in the process of composing my letter to them and will provide both Hawaii and California with all of the details I can possible. I urge all of you who have written/called and received a "deaf ear" to email both Governor Lingle in Hawaii and the Attorney General and Department of Real Estate in your State and state your cause. Remember, maybe I am totally naive, but I do believe in due process and these elected officals are in office because of us. Hopefully they can help us.

Thanks for the info on writing to the Dept of RE, as well as Atty's General. I will do that, too. I hope others will, as well. If more voices are heard to complain, action will happen. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Robert K.
Mar 09, 2009

These are the law firms bringing the class action suit with RCI. I know of Simmons cooper and believe them to be a good firm. I think it is time we start calling these firms and see what we can stir up.

The lead law firms are: Cohen, Placitella & Roth, P.C., a Newark, NJ firm. Green Welling LLP, a San Francisco, CA firm. The additional law firms are: David C. Berman, PC, a Morristown, NJ firm. Gilbert Oshinsky LLP, a Washington, DC firm. Hanly, Conroy, Bierstein, Sheridan, Fisher & Hayes LLP, a New York, NY firm. SimmonsCooper LLP, an East Alston and Chicago, IL firm.

Laura K.
Mar 12, 2009

I would like to join you. I'd like to find any type of class actions going on, if any exists. If not, I want to start one. Personally, I'm fed up with the entire industry. Acting locally (through local and state politicians) really hasn't shown much success in the past. Remember, these developers, companies, etc., pay out lots of political payola, which, sadly, doesn't motivate our representatives to always act in our (the consumers) best interest. They make a few placating sounds, but nothing ever really comes of it. I'm convinced the best recourse lies with the legal system.

Robin C.
Mar 12, 2009

It is great to know that we are not alone. We currently own 15, thousand points per year with diamond that's about 2 weeks per year vacation at one of their lower to mid level 2 BR. units My current annual fees are ($2423.00) that's two thousand four hundred & twenty three dollars. That's enough to pay for travel w/ room & board in many places especially at this time. Our dues were due by January 26, 2009 and we called on March 12Th 2009 and were told that our account is in collection and we will have to pay an additional ($710) in late fees and interest. Not even banks are this cruel

Courtney G.
Mar 15, 2009

I own 9 weeks of time share in St Marten at the Royal Palm Beach club. I was shocked at the increase in the maintenance fees, however I paid them (over $10,000.00) What do I do Now?Earl Rippie

Earl H.
Mar 15, 2009

I am willing to join a class action suit. I have point with Diamond although when I first bought into the system it was Greensprings. The cost is way out of line for maintainence and I find it hard to use points for where I want to go, even booking 13 months in advance.

Elizabeth T.
Mar 25, 2009

We are also interested in a class action lawsuit. Please let us know what happens there - we've thought of starting one ourselves, based on the massive amount of fraud when we were sold our points.

Amy G.
Mar 26, 2009

I see a lot of people talking about starting a class action (myself included), but where do we really start? I'm sure all of us are tapped out and do not want to put any money toward this. We've all been scammed, so it is hard to trust anyone who says they might take on our case. Does anyone know how to go about this the correct and safe way. We need to protect ourselves, and try to get out from under DRI and their increasing bills. My $.02.

Robert K.
Mar 27, 2009

robert5043 wrote:
I see a lot of people talking about starting a class action (myself included), but where do we really start? I'm sure all of us are tapped out and do not want to put any money toward this. We've all been scammed, so it is hard to trust anyone who says they might take on our case. Does anyone know how to go about this the correct and safe way. We need to protect ourselves, and try to get out from under DRI and their increasing bills. My $.02.
The sad thing is that even if the class wins, DRI will probably only have to throw you a bone such as a token amount off the next year's MF. The lawyers for the class will make all the money and you will still have your TS with the large fees and assessments. It would be nice if the suit could force DRI to drop the MF rates based on the number of points you have.

Which brings me to another question. If you own at a DRI resort, but are NOT a member of "The "Club" are the MFs based on the resort you own at?

Mike N.
Mar 27, 2009

I agree, DRI sucks, I would like to join any class action. They are horrible, nasty people, I have reported them to BBB in Vegas. I am awaiting word from them. Has any one else gone this route. Next I am going to ATTORNEY GENERAL. We have to get this started. The more complaints the better. I own at Orlando, Fla. We own 10,500 and are maintenance is $778.00. I hate dealing with them.

John K.

Last edited by johnk634 on Mar 27, 2009 12:18 PM

Mar 27, 2009

I agree. I thought of the fact that the attorneys would get all the money, but frankly all I care about is getting out from under DRI. I don't want their timeshares, I don't want to pay the fees.....I just want out. The way it stands right now, their fees can rise to 1000s of dollars more, and they can force us to pay up or be sued. When or how can this be stopped?

Robert K.
Mar 27, 2009

Aren't there any attorney's out there now that could help us with this lawsuit. If we all band together, maybe something will have to be changed now.

Calling ALL attorney's??

John K.
Mar 27, 2009

I live about 30 mintes from Newark, NJ. Have you spoken to any of these Atty"s? If so what is their reply about the situation we are all in?

John K.
Mar 29, 2009

Regarding efforts to take action as opposed to saying you want to take action, there does not appear to be anyone. I've read a lot of posts where people say they want to join together and a few people have posted they contacted their Atty General or taken other legal action. But no one has posted the results of such contact/activity.

There is a Yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/drilawsuit/ where the intent is to get people together to provide results of actions and coordinate group effort. I'm in this group and have posted some info, but most people asking to join the group are not willing to submit the required information to be accepted into the group so it is still small.

If you join the DRIlawsuit Yahoo Group and submit your required information, you can then contribute to posting specific contact info for your Atty General, updates to your efforts, and documents from DRI or from/to your Atty General or any other legal support which you feel are worthy of providing evidence against DRI.

Ideally, If you join the DRIlawsuit Yahoo Group and the group is active enough, the people in the group would be able to send letters / e-mail / call polititians and legal teams so we may have a voice to protect ourselves.

Beck
Mar 29, 2009

The wife and I joined Sunterra in 2000. We had great vacations, and good dealings with Sunterra. They werent perfect, but who is? DRI on the other hand has been awefull! From blindsiding us with fees, to messing up our reservations, and even having the front desk Lady telling us they had no one to bring us sheets for the pull out bed while we where in Sedona Summit. At least I can deal with that my self. Over all we are not happy with DRI. And why are the continuing to buy, build and redecorate during a reccesion. I guess they think they can just pass the bill on to us. We need to do something! Im gonna go sign up at the Yahoo group now.

Ray H.
Mar 29, 2009

I am in the same situation as you are, let's share.

John K.
Mar 30, 2009

We almost defaulted on our dues/MF this year, but went ahead and paid, not wanting to give DRI a chance to steal it back. We've had some really good vacations over 11 years of ownership. We stayed at Sedona Summit a few days week before last, and sure enough just as we were checking in the gal wanted to sign us up for an "owner's update" (i.e., desperate ploy to sell us more points). We knew there's no way in hell we were going to give DRI another penny, but we went to the presentation anyway, collected our $100. It was one way to make up for the extortionate raise in dues & maint fees. They keep inviting us in for these things, and I'm guesstimating we've gotten nearly $1,000 in cash and gift cards over the last 5 years. Any chance you get to do the same I'd recommend it. Just be ready to put your foot down firmly. Even so, don't be surprised when the 90mins. turns into 3 hours.

Brad R.
Apr 02, 2009

I just wrote to the following law firms inquiring about starting or joining in on a class action lawsuit: Cohen, Placitella & Roth, P.C., a Newark, NJ firm. Green Welling LLP, a San Francisco, CA firm. The additional law firms are: David C. Berman, PC, a Morristown, NJ firm. Gilbert Oshinsky LLP, a Washington, DC firm. Hanly, Conroy, Bierstein, Sheridan, Fisher & Hayes LLP, a New York, NY firm. SimmonsCooper LLP, an East Alston and Chicago, IL firm. I STRONGLY encourage anyone interested in joining in on a class action lawsuit to do the same.

Willa F.
Apr 05, 2009

I am a Diamond owner and have been with them since Epic went to Sunterra then to DRI. I must say that I believe that most of you folks are just irresponsible. You signed up for something and now want out because of your lack of planning, impulsive buying and/or biting of more than you can chew.

Maintenance fees have been going up for all timeshares. The resorts that Diamond inherited needed to be upgraded. When I was with Epic, the resorts were just let go. When Sunterra took over, they promised to improve them but they went into bankruptcy again and then sold to DRI.

What is it that you foliks want. Don't you want to see the properties get upgraded? You have the points/properties. Take advantage of them and use them instead of just whining and complaining. DRI is no different from any of the other timeshare companies. The fees for everyone have gone up. I have gone to visit or stay at many of the DRI properties and there is certainly an attempt being made to upgrade the properties. In addition, I am seeing more locations added and additional benefits with the Diamond Selections. Yes, maintenance fees have increased but so have gas prices. We can at least enjoy our timeshares.

STOP So much whining and complaining. Learn how to use you DRI property/points and read up on how to best use it.

NO, I don't work for DRI but I am going to these forums that I read and start writing this same message because I believe folks are unrealistic and only look to complain without legitimate reason.

Charles S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.