Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

Sep 22, 2009

A few months ago there was talk that Bluegreen would sell out to Diamond. I have not heard anything new on that lately and sincerely hope the deal fell through. We are Gold Bluegreen owners. Happy ones, I might add! MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Sep 22, 2009 07:04 PM

Oct 12, 2009

Has there been any word on a class action lawsuit for this. I am ready to join in, and/or be a co-sponsor.

Please contact me. dkreifus at yahoo dot com

Dan K.
Oct 13, 2009

St Maarten owners at Diamond Resorts Flamingo Beach have a court case against them. Mores actions should be taken against them as they are ripping off people so badly who have been loyal to the island and the resort through every disaster. This Hurricane Diamond is the worst! They are incredibly rude and incompetent. Worst is they are stealing people's hard earned money. So strange is how the Topper's Restaurant is spreading over the beach and blocking ground floor units let alone the appalling smell on Lobster Night. Have they permits to expand like that? Let us see if there is any justice against them in the Court here.

Pamela J.
Oct 14, 2009

For everyones info. I am a owner at Flamingo, villa's, fixed week (Since 1997). I have escalated the issue with DRI (excessive maint. fees). Subsequently have joined the class action local lawsuit (all indications were we needed to do this locally). Its still in court.

I have contacted a few NV based legal firms regarding a US class action against DRI but no bites.

If anyone knows anything else, let me know. I've provided all my info and am actively participating in current lawsuit in St. Martin.

Mark Miller Markmil1@earthlink.net Charlotte, NC.

Mark M.
Oct 15, 2009

I emailed a few people who posted their contact info about getting invovled, including the yahoo group and FB group, with no response.

Dan K.
Oct 15, 2009

My husband and I are owners and have a fixed week. I inquired about the lawsuit and was informed that it would cost $50/per week for legal fees. We cannot afford to pay that amount especially now. We have been owners since 2000. Helen

Helen Z.

Last edited by helenz8 on Oct 16, 2009 03:52 PM

Oct 16, 2009

This morning I visited the Public Prosecutor's office in Philipsburg. I could not see a prosecutor only at the end of the month. However the lady told me after I had explained what was going on, that is seemed like a scam and I should have been more careful with my money! I then went to a lawyer who was willing to give me 10 mins free (I don't have the $300 per hour) He also was appalled and suggested I go to see the Cadaster to see if Diamond resorts really are the owners of the property. I can also go to the tax office as I told him I could not pay me fees by credit card at the Flamingo Resort. The staff are not allowed to do that. So the lawyer also suggested going to see the Lieutenant Governor which I will do. Too many owners are now being ripped off. I paid the MFees for two weeks $1008 each week after deducting the rip off VOLUNTARY FEE of $5 ARDA! They then added on $31.56 each week late fees. The owner called to get the Transfers and was told the weeks were foreclosed. They would not deal at all with me as I was the 'third party' yet they were more than happy to take my money from my credit card. Both the lawyer and the Prosecutor's office told me that its so typical of scams. I was also advised to go to lodge a complaint at the Detective's department which I can do on Monday for fraud against Diamond Resorts. I only ever received the same 'garbage talk' from anyone who replied. A registered letter was sent to my 13 year old daughter telling her her week was foreclosed as well. The letter was sent to her St Martin, THE BAHAMAS. When I asked why I was told that "when my address was entered the BAHAMAS automatically came up' I still also have NEVER received a contract from SUNTERRA and now DIAMOND after paying the $150 and $250 fees for my other weeks Looking forward to seeing if other people are in the same situation. Ripped OFF

Pamela J.
Oct 28, 2009

I bought 4000 points of DR timeshare 16 months ago. It was not clear to me with regards to the MF's. I pay $800.00 a year in fees and I am so sorry that I bought into this outfit. Looks like I'm stuck for life. I feel I'm in a hell hole. The MF's were never discussed in the presentation. It truely was a scam. I told the sales person that I wanted to go to the Canary Islands and what would I need for points. Those 4000 points were just a teaser, so now they want to sell me more to get me there comfortably. I can not afford the MF's. If I saved up on my MF's I could go anywhere in the world. I'm so sorry I didn't see this clearly. They get you all excited, but it's all a big scam. Please add me into your class action suit. I'll do whatever it takes to help their representation to be clear to how their system really works.

Judy D.
Oct 29, 2009

I would love to participate in a class-action suit. We were previously Sunterra owners. We asked all of the hard questions (but didn't have a computer close at hand to do our own research) and they misrepresented the company, the information, the fees. They even had me speak to the Sunterra resort in San Luis Obispo manager - who confirmed I shouldn't have difficulties getting a week in SLO, since we leave in CA and it's closer than AZ where we bought.

The good news! We visited another (ex) Sunterra property. The lady at the desk told me that years ago they were able to gather the owners together and higher new management because they weren't happy with their fees (which were only $500 for us 2 years ago, and now are doubled).

Any other "Ridge at Sedona Golf Resort" owners out there? Let's get together and redo the management!

Cindy Koh 626-791-1096 connexcindy@sbcglobal.net

Cindy K.
Oct 29, 2009

This morning again I visited the Prosecutor's office. He saw all my paperwork and the charges taken off my credit card by Flamingo Beach Resort/ Diamond! He told me to go to the Detective department so I will go again as he said to get one of the Fraud Detectives. Curiously the legal counsel of Diamond accused me of lying that Diamond never sent my 13 year old daughter Termination Letters to the BAHAMAS! They are incredible and she even threatened legal action against me! So the saga goes on and in there are innocent victims of a ruthless company and one where I was told by the Customer Service that 'Time is money and we will not waste time on you!' When will it ever be stopped? Ripped Off

Pamela J.
Nov 02, 2009

Hello,

I have read your post and several others on this forum. I must say that there is no scam here but a lack of attention on your part. No, I do not work for DRI. I am an owner and member of the Club like you. I work hard for my dollars like everyone else. However, I believe that there are too many people who complain and don't hold themselves accountable for there role in an agreement.

I love my DRI points and locations. Since they have taken over there are more ways to use your points. I know that using it for anything but accommodations does not give you the full value, but it is better than nothing. Like you and everyone else, I hate the increases in maitenance fees. They do go up steadily. However, I look at other companies' maintenance fees and hear their owners complain about the same thing. It seems to be a fact of life in the timeshare industry.

I read people compaining and complaining and complaining. However, where is their responsibility. Do they follow up on things? Do they read the contracts? No, they want to complain and blame others.

There is no way that you can have a contract for a timeshare and not know about maintenance fees. No way. You have about 5 business days to read over your paper work with an opportunity to rescind the deal. Most people don't read. You can even search the internet about timeshares and just like you found this forum to complain you could have found it before and after you bought.

DRI is not without fault, but they have added more to our membership. Learn how to use it. With 4000 points you can save them for a year and have 8000 points. You do have enough points to go the Canary Islands if you desire. You don't have enough to go every year at peak season, but you can go to some of the resorts during high and midseason. In addition, you could go every year if you desired with your points and stay in either a studio or one bedroom. If you went every other year, you could stay for a couple of weeks.

i just don't get it. People sign contracts for homes and don't know what their interest rates are or that they have an adjustable mortgage loan and it's everyone else's fault. That's baloney!

Get your Diamond Selections book or look at it on the website after you login and learn about what you have. Stop complaining and read.

Many of you on this thread have no real complaints, but are looking to find someone to blame for what in most instance absolutely nothing. Your own irresponsibilty has placed you in a situation that you might not be able to afford or maybe hard times has hit you unexpectedly and you have a maintenance fee that has become unaffordable. I will tell you that DRI was offering opportunities for people to reduce their points if they were overextended. That's right they were doing that without people calling and asking. I was one of them. I declined because I knew I would be ok and like my membership. I have not heard of any other timeshare company offering anything like that and I read about 4 of these forums.

So those of you who are looking at a Class Action suit, please know that DRI is going to have a some positives that they are going to have as well in their favor. If you are having a problem which I have had a couple of times. I would advise you to call and write the CEO Cloobeck if you have to to get to the bottom of your situation. I have directed others on different forums to contact certain people in corporate and they have had situations handled. However, I hate to see a company that is trying to do things constantly get slammed and there are some very happy owners with their memberships, starting with me. Your lawsuits are going to cost us all money in administrative fees. I like you don't want to pay more of that.

Charles S.
Nov 02, 2009

Charles, My man!..I have been an owner since 1997 (Fixed). I have read my contract. I have contacted Mr Cloobeck. I have spoken at lengthy with exec. mgmt (Duffey). I have reviewed budgets and I have expected 'reasonable' maint. fee increases (matching inflation, like 2-4%). NOT 15, 20, 25, 36% year on year increases (over 260% since purchse) that is unexplained with vague 'new' line items in budget that are clearly fee's to bolster top lines (and covering other locations).

So, read a few posts before presuming folks don't do their homework and 'just complian'. My only purpose for logging on this post is for general awareness because you are correct, we all voluntarily signed the papers presuming 'best intent'. I think using some current financial examples probably goes to more of folks post here than your intention!

Regards, Mark Miller Charlotte, NC.

Mark M.
Nov 03, 2009

I am in disagreement with your whole hearted support for Diamond Resorts... I did read very closely the information provided, and on the last day of my recission period I called the Diamond Sales team at the 'Point at Poipu' with several questions, and was assured of the information provided as I was prepared to recind our agreement for which we had paid 60K in cash for... Upon trying to make our first reservation found out thaat what we were told was not quite correct, was actually fraudulent... Yesterday I tried to make a reservation almost 13 months to the day in advance for a waterfront accomodation, none were available, our dates were flexible, YET if I were going to pay cash off the street there were four (4) reservations available... When I called Diamonds Las Vegas offices to get an explanation of why I could not get the accomodation I have paid for, was told that only so many units are open to Members, and that cash paying customers who are not members actually have more availability than do Members... That is a direct lie told to me at the time I purchased this membership, and it was told twice, once during the sales pitch, and second during my phone call on the recission date... What I was told was that there was only one class of membership, that there were no other than Points members, that no actual weeks were owned by anyone.!!! We all know that is not true now, but during that week when we bought into this we were assured by Sam Dungan their executive quality assurance officer that being GOLD Members we were among the most treasured members.... What they treasured was our 60 thousand dollars, after that its been a nightmare... So, is your support because you are related to someone at Diamond...?

Michael D.
Nov 03, 2009

Far from being a family member, just a member like you. First, I do understand your frustration with trying to get reservation 13 months out and not getting it. I have had issues upgrading which seems so easy at first glance, but is not all I think it should be. After reading the fine print I learned it does not mean that you get the next two bedroom, but the next class of unit which could be a more fancy one bedroom. I did not notice that until I read it more clearly. However, that' s my fault. I only had to read it.

You can only hold any organization at fault when they have reneged on their contract with you. What anybody SAYS does not count. It is what is WRITTEN that carries weight. That is what the courts are going to look at.

As an owner you can rent your timeshare out. Several do and they recoup their maintenance fees plus some. DRI does the same thing with theirs. With my Marriott property in Hawaii, there are times that if you don't make the reservation within the first hour you cannot get a reservation 12 months out which is the earliest one can make a reservation in their system.

Marriott also rents out their units. They will rent yours out to but take a big cut out of the rent for themselves.

I guess my point is that DRI is not doing anything different than anyone else as for as renting units. DRI is never going to satisfy everyone, however, there are quite a few happy owners who love the system. It is unfortunately, we don't get to hear much from those people.

Charles S.
Nov 04, 2009

Guys,

I think you are sidestepping the big issue, that is that DRI (with I hear 5% ownership) controls the resort we own. Yes - I don't like the high cost of annual maintenance fees compared to Mariott, Sheraton and Westin (where I also stay). Yes - I don't like it that DRI will no longer tell me which room I've been asigned at time of booking comfirmation. A fundamental problem with most timeshare owners is that they don't understand corporate America. The big issue in my opinion is that the management company, DRI controls the Board of Directors by loading it with their own employees. Boards have a lot of legal power. I care a lot more about the Board potentially selling the property to another "off shoot" company at some reduced value. It is real easy to create another independent company, owned by the same individuals. The most important task for us owners is to band together and regain control of the Board. For sure, something is going to happen in the next few years when by contract there is no more management company on-site sales allowed, either very good or very bad for us, the owners. For sure, DRI is not going to cease trying to make all the profit they can. The choice on control is ours. We either band together, or complain until blue in the face. I think we need to hand out slips of paper to other owners every time we go to the resort urging others to do the same and give their names and e-mail addresses to this site so we can collectively decide who we want to be on the Board at election time. Without control of the Board, everything else is trivial.

Robert M.
Nov 04, 2009

I am with you. We used to own straight weeks at Flamingo from 1991, but changed to points about 4 years and I think I am glad that I did as I can use the points to go to Royal Palm or exchange through Interval International. I also hate the restaurant, it is truly an eyesore, taking up beautiful beach area, blocking all of the units behind it and it smells and I feel it causes more roaches!!! When we were there last April we moved 4 times!! All but one room had roaches!! One room was so bad we only stayed in there one night. Diamond better get there act together in fixing this once Gold Crown (with RCE) and Premier (with Interval) resort now it isn't even a Silver Crown or Select resort and there isn't anyone on the resort that is in charge and knows what they are doing. How can we make Diamond respond to these issues. What are they doing with the maintenance fees?????

Carol C.
Nov 04, 2009

I don't have a complaint about the maintenance fees for my points but expect that Diamond take care of the property (Flamingo Beach Resort, St. Maarten) We were there last April and it was a mess, not clean, roaches in 2 of our rooms and a horrible smell in our 4th (we only had one room we liked and could only stay there 2 days as the straight week owners were coming) It seems that even though this is my home resort I do not get a good room no matter how far in advance I book since I have become a points owner and the staff cannot understand how I am there from mid week and not a Saturday or Sunday! Toppers restaurant is taking more of the beach area and it smells and is loud!! When I was there last it didn't look like Diamond is putting any money into this resort and there is no one there in authority or that knows what they are doing!

Carol C.
Nov 05, 2009

YES< I agree replacing Diamond Resorts Int'l as the management is the right course of action... But how can you get that information about Diamonds and the problems to the majority of the Owners, either points or deeded weeks, when there is no membership list available to us... I was at the Annual Meeting on Kauai last February, it was a very manipulated agenda... There were many angry owners present (the majority present were angry) and many wanted to make comments, but were told to wait until the meeting ended... That was to keep the anger out of the actual minutes of the meeting, which are a legal record available to all members... This past week I tried to make a reservation for the Oceanfront we had paid for, exactely 13 months out for the end of November 2010... NONE were available, yet there were four (4) reservations available if I were going to pay cash ($9,292.31 - 9,494.66) for each two week period... When I called they told me that the units available for members were all booked... They are holding more rooms for cash guests than they have for members, and treat members like 'frequent flyer milage' and that is a FRAUD on the membership... Diamond is more like a criminal conspiracy, and an ongoing criminal fraud... They are continuing to sell more memberships far beyond their capacity to accomodate....

Michael D.
Nov 06, 2009

Robert.... Nice talking with you... I wanted to relay the email address for the other group tring to organize members for what ever actions can be the most fruitful.. its rbatchelder344@gmail.com and they are located in Clayton California (SF Bay area)... I do agree in that any way we can gain voting control through the membership will go a long way to restoring the integrity of the management of the Resort for the benefit of all of its deed week owners and points members... you can also reach me at my email migueldd45@aol.com Michael

Michael D.
Nov 06, 2009

"was told that only so many units are open to Members"

WAIT A MINUTE.......aren't diamond timeshares either sold as 1/51 or 1/102 or 2/102 ????? If you bought 1 week out of 51 then the remaining 50 weeks are timeshare weeks reserved for the 50 other buyers......NOT someone walking in off the street? Did I understand your note correctly???

Kari K.

Last edited by karik27 on Nov 06, 2009 01:21 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.