General Discussion

Grupo Mayan

Jun 27, 2012

!!IF YOU JUST WANT THE FACTS GO TO THE END AND READ!!

Fellow consumer: Here is the real deal as I see it. Time share ownership is not for everyone!! The product they offer is what it is.. A very nice, extremely clean, well managed, somewhat exclusive resort location in a lovely setting. The Suites are also what they are, extremely more and more spacious as you climb the ladder of success.(so to speak) And more and more luxurious as well..

The unfortunate part of this, is that they must keep the "bank" full of money to do so. In order to do this they must sell, sell, sell!! Granted most of the sales people are well trained and somewhat illusive when you try to really determine if this vacation experience is for you..That is because if they don't sell they don't get paid..If they don't sell the house of cards might fall..(especially in the current economy). SO0ooo...they must sell to keep the existing inventory of properties in place and maintained..

Example: On our most recent visit to Mazatlan we wanted an Ocean View. ( some locations do not offer any Ocean View Rooms unless you down size to the Sea Garden..I suppose we might have pitched a fit and made our 2 weeks miserable but instead we accepted the circumstances and had one of the most enjoyable experiences we have had to date..We saw much of Maz and went to many sights.(The "old" city was very quaint and the aquarium was awesome). I even got to see my wife laugh and play exuberantly as we atv'd on one of the most beautiful beach settings we have ever experienced..This was the last and one of the best trips we have had thus far..That is not to say that any of our experiences have not been wonderful, because they have been..Each resort in the Mayan Group experience, has its pro's and con's...Some locations are somewhat removed from the action (Nuevo Vallarta, Acapulco, Cancun which is actually about 30K away from aforementioned Cancun), this is true and you have to do some research to get the most bang for your buck. That being said the properties themselves are all outstanding. On the topic of research: Do Your Homework!!, if you do not, you will be frustrated and annoyed and your personal experience will suffer.. If you are the type of person that expects to get the best deal for the least amount of effort and $$$ I suggest you do your bargain hunting at anyone of the many travel sights. (and remember) If you go to Mexico you will be asked to attend a presentation of some kind..If you feel your time is being wasted then don't go..JUST SAY NO and walk away or politely ignore the hawkers on the street..(remember this is a big,Big part of their economy.) They are still a poor peoples and to them you are wealthy no matter what part of the social ladder you might climb upon at home. As long as you stay on the properties you will be quite safe. When you go off base, (military homage intended) There might be issues that make you feel uncomfortable but the same rules apply as they do at your Home.. There really are bad people out to get you!! Be aware of your circumstances(Time of Day, Area your in, etc.) Remember tourism is their biggest income and they sure as hell don't want you to loose your head or get kidnapped. (That is why you see the police standing around with automatic weapons ready to intervene at the slightest sign of any trouble)..Been 2 years since our last visit and I know the atmosphere has become more volatile.. Again I must emphasize, "buyer beware!" The current economy and social unrest do to "crazies", is everywhere..It is Global!! If you are a U.S. citizen, regardless of station, you are in the top 10% of the wealthiest people in the world. (Wow what a country!!) Bottom line is who you are as a person. If you are an optimist and look for the best in everyone you will more than likely have a great experience.(just take a dose of paranoia before leaving the USA). If you are a pessimist and expect the worst, you will probably be miserable like you always are!!(no offense intended) JUST THE FACTS (homage to dragnet intended) LOL..If you are one of us average centrists,(Be aware)! All in all, "yous take ya' chances and ya' pays the prices"!!

Pessimist: Stay at home and please don't be in front of me in any line.(even the grocery store)!

Optimist: ENJOY ( I only wish I didn't have to take my psych meds to come close to your attitude.)

The rest of us: DO YOUR HOMEWORK!! (ain't nothin' free it is all an illusion.???)

My wife and I originally went to Mexico on a discounted, all inclusive pkg, in Puerta Vallarta.(Malia Vallarta). At the time our circumstances were OK perhaps even less than that..At first, the constant barrage; [HEY GRINGO!), (come here stupid.) (implied)] was annoying at least! But as we learned the ropes in future years it became amusing. (at least to me, MY Wife, not so much). The first time we were pitched (sales presentation).. We spent several hours of being pounded, hammered, pressured, etc. (or as we use to say in the used car business, ("please sir, may I have your money, title, keys to your trade or how about your first born") just to "lock a person into a time line so that a sale could be made. (Time share people are no different.) The practice is a tried and true method of selling any high ticket item. Needless to say we purchased our time share (much to my chagrin) for the much "lowered" price of $12,000 for a one week deed for 99yrs. at our deeded property of Puerto Penasco. (Sounded like a good deal to my wife and we all know "A happy wife is a happy life." Lol. Of course the Saga continues. Along with the 12K we agreed to spend an additional $500+ a year until we died or past our obligation on to our children, grand children, great grand children, (you get the picture). For whatever reason it all sounded real good to my wife who focused on the terms, "a good long term investment." NOT!! Being a "good husband" (not sure either one of us agrees with that statement..LOL)..We now had entered the adventure of time share ownership..In the past six years we have stayed at Puerta Vallarta, Cancun (30Ksouth), Mazatlan. Another words we have been able to use the time share only 3 times and have had to pay a maintenance fee of fore mentioned $500 dollars each year for 6 years. Due to illness, financial down turns, up turns, really rather go elsewhere this year, etc. we have spent thus far $15,000 for 6 weeks of fun in the sun, this means we have spent $2500 per week not counting Airfare and transportation..For that kind of money I could have probably stayed any where in the world for less and had just as much fun??? I really do not know that for sure as I or rather my wife is always looking for a good deal and I must confess she does do a pretty good job.. All that being said, in an ideal world where I might be able to spend my 2 weeks [(we bought one week, remember?) but we received what was then called a vacation fare week !we did not have to pay for unless we used it. (What a deal)] in Mexico in an exceptional resort with all amenities for only $600 a week airfare not included... I digress once again. Anyway, If I were as well healed as I hoped I might be and could afford all the other crap you do not think about while listening to a "rosy" presentation I would probably be a very "Happy Camper"!! Bottom line ( I think I said that earlier) this is the way it is in the "Real World"!

THE REST OF THE STORY: Now I am faced with a decision which has once again been delayed for a year (at no cost to me), to Sell (no market value) or continue to hold my 99yr lease and pass it on to my kids who are struggling with their own finances and expenses.[OK, OK! I get it, (throw more money down the rat hole) find another family member, or friend with the where-with-all to purchase my weeks this year so I can continue to meet my obligation so that I can, maybe, spend future weeks in "paradise?" at a very "reasonable rate?" for the rest of my life!! REAALLYYYyyy!!?? Geeeze "What the F was; I thinking, or for that matter she (my wife)thinking, when we sat at that table in paradise and ate our marvelous "free breakfast" and purchased our dreams at a reasonable price...Just Sayin'

Now that I really feel like a fool, think I will get on my H/D?! [(yeah I know what your thinking) (this guy is one of those with money to burn)] I will ride my frustrations into the wind.[(no I am not one of those!) I have been riding a motor cycle longer than most of you reading this have been on the planet.] "OO00oops getting a little testy!" Suffice it to say, "Assume" (make an ass of you and me) more sarcasm? Really!! I just thought I would write a balanced report on Mayan Palace and time shares in general. "So much for thinking!?" Well time to take some mood enhancing medication for this old, biker, crow-magnon man (does spell check really know how to spell??) etc. and get on my hog and ride into the sunset...Enjoy all yur summa' time fun..SORRY CAN'T HELP MYSELF!!

Writer: 65yr old, 'nam vet, patriot, outstanding citizen? Maybe if we all bought time shares in Mexico they would stop invading this country and have their anchor babies elsewhere..We would all be much happier and would not have to spend so much fn' money on people who never put in a dime and seem to need and get more than they deserve. That way as one who has served this country and wrote a blank check up-to and including my life, might be able to get his/her fare share without having to go threw so many hoops that he / she winds up in a box under a bridge with a bottle of cheap wine (I preferred Tokay) living the American Dream?? (sorry about the pronoun changes and tense changes for those of you anal butt heads who keep trying to tell me what to do and in my opinion should shut the f up because you never had to fight for this country or anything else for that matter..OO00oops!! Guess I wasn't finished with my rant..Oh! and by the way there is a "God", he had a Son and we should always be, "One Nation, Under God, Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." If you don't like this country "move somewhere else" Maybe Mexico" Costa Rica, etc. That way I can live my life here in the good ole USA and not have to listen to all your crap..Just Sayin'

William P.

Last edited by williamp283 on Jun 27, 2012 09:46 AM

Jun 28, 2012

deleted by jayjay

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jun 28, 2012 08:33 AM

Jun 28, 2012

williamp283 "THE REST OF THE STORY: Now I am faced with a decision which has once again been delayed for a year (at no cost to me), to Sell (no market value) or continue to hold my 99yr lease and pass it on to my kids who are struggling with their own finances and expenses.[OK, OK! I get it, (throw more money down the rat hole) find another family member, or friend with the where-with-all to purchase my weeks this year so I can continue to meet my obligation so that I can, maybe, spend future weeks in "paradise?" at a very "reasonable rate?" [/Q]

If you're 65 years old you may not care about your credit rating so it may be to your advantage to stop paying maintenance fees and have the resort foreclose on you. I don't like to give this kind of advice because foreclosures and non paying maintenance fees are passed on to other owners of the resort, but at you're age this may be your only choice in this economy.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jun 28, 2012 08:36 AM

Jun 28, 2012

My wife and I originally bought into the Mayan Palace system back in 1998, with a Sea Garden 2 BR/Mayan Palace 1 BR. We upgraded several times since then, each time bargaining with the salespeople and selling back extra weeks that we would not need, so that now we own 2 weeks at the Grand Bliss after a total investment over the years of about $60,000; we also were able to negotiate a deal in which we are NOT required to pay a maintenance fee every year, if we choose not to use a vacation week. Because we kept upgrading every 3 to 4 years, we never had to pay for the extra fifth year maintenance fee they impose for "room remodeling", and this fee is waived for Grand Bliss members. Upgrading further into The Grand Luxxe offered us unlimited golf and other perks, but as we don't golf, we felt it unnecessary to upgrade further, though the trading/renting power would improve. We used our Grand Bliss membership in Nuevo Vallarta for the first time earlier this month; you get all the features of the Grand Mayan with a nicer, albeit much smaller, building, though somewhat further removed from the beach (the Grand Bliss pool is still under construction). Grand Bliss members can also reserve weeks at the Grand Mayan for the latter's lower maintenance fee. We always attend at least one timeshare sales presentation (yes, those "90 minutes" always extend past 3 hours) and get great freebies -- the 10% discount is the least of them. We negotiated for $200 US cash plus another 1300 Mexican pesos (total value US $300), and then found out that other timeshare sales organizations can pay up to $400 in cash if you don't take any tours or shows or other discounts/freebies. So these presentations are worth your time, especially if you keep saying NO to purchasing.

Robert A.
Jun 29, 2012

robert934 wrote:
My wife and I originally bought into the Mayan Palace system back in 1998, with a Sea Garden 2 BR/Mayan Palace 1 BR. We upgraded several times since then, each time bargaining with the salespeople and selling back extra weeks that we would not need, so that now we own 2 weeks at the Grand Bliss after a total investment over the years of about $60,000; we also were able to negotiate a deal in which we are NOT required to pay a maintenance fee every year, if we choose not to use a vacation week. Because we kept upgrading every 3 to 4 years, we never had to pay for the extra fifth year maintenance fee they impose for "room remodeling", and this fee is waived for Grand Bliss members. Upgrading further into The Grand Luxxe offered us unlimited golf and other perks, but as we don't golf, we felt it unnecessary to upgrade further, though the trading/renting power would improve. We used our Grand Bliss membership in Nuevo Vallarta for the first time earlier this month; you get all the features of the Grand Mayan with a nicer, albeit much smaller, building, though somewhat further removed from the beach (the Grand Bliss pool is still under construction). Grand Bliss members can also reserve weeks at the Grand Mayan for the latter's lower maintenance fee. We always attend at least one timeshare sales presentation (yes, those "90 minutes" always extend past 3 hours) and get great freebies -- the 10% discount is the least of them. We negotiated for $200 US cash plus another 1300 Mexican pesos (total value US $300), and then found out that other timeshare sales organizations can pay up to $400 in cash if you don't take any tours or shows or other discounts/freebies. So these presentations are worth your time, especially if you keep saying NO to purchasing.

I would never go to a timeshare presentation for the gifts or the money received. My vacation time is too important to me to spend 3 hours listening to a salesperson trying to convince me to buy a timeshare or an upgrade .... it's wasted precious time.

R P.
Sep 27, 2013

I have one for sale and am trying to get out of my contract for 3 years The only time I deal with them is to rent it and sometimes they say there are none left. The reason is they have some they just give out to other agencies to rent for them and we can't use them. I would not give them the satisfaction or the extra $10,000. Many people have regrets. I got passes from a sales a lady so no do not pay.

Brian W.
Oct 18, 2013

We originally purchased at Grand Mayan in Nuervo . We purchased the studio, then later on upgraded to the 1 bedroom. We then upgraded to the 2bed.2 ba at the Grand Bliss. We always go to the sales presentations to get either money or certificates for various activities. We have said no to their sales pitches more times than yes. The rymthym of the night excursion is alot of fun,as well as the pirate ship trip. We've also received tickets to tour the rain forest and other places. Just always be prepared to negotiate goodies and to say no to the salemen if you don't want to buy.

Mike C.
Oct 18, 2013

I agree, my time is much more precious even if I could make them to cough up $300 or $400 for supposedly 90 minutes or my time. In reality as we all know, they will grind you up for close to 5 or 6 hours, and in case you are married, you wife and kids, if any, have to be present too. That's about $25/hr per adult, not counting stress and waisted vacation. May be that's good compensation by Mexican standards, but I am not there to work, but to take a break from work ! Definitely stay away from them even if they offer you $1000 (which they won't because there so many other tourists who are easy prey).

Grupo M.
Oct 19, 2013

I have experienced the positive and negative experience as so many posts have written. The good news is the company continues to improve on what already was a fantastic resort experience. Make no mistake their sales people are the "best" As a sales person myself i do not hold a candle to them. My suggestion is that if you buy you make them write everything down and have someone in sufficient authority (that may be a difficult find) to sign. Maybe someone in finance who are at the final sales/signing. Their reservation claims are bogus. Their claims that as a particular level of equity owner you get preference at least for me have proved unsubstantiated. I believe they save space for new buyers to entice them to buy in the final sales stage. Someone buying during the year that will only buy if they get a future reservation are likely accomodated from saved inventory verses an already closed sale owner. As new buildings are opened I do not expect it to get any better because they are selling so many units each day or month. Go into this with eyes wide open and a realistic pre conceived dollar amount to spend and stick to it. The only likely sure way to reserve the time you want is to call reservations (which are very efficient and capable) on the first possible day of your allowable reservation timeframe window.

Neil M.
Oct 19, 2013

This sounds very similar to what my wife and I did. We originally purchased into the "budget" Mayan Palace system (a 1 BR at the Mayan Palace in Acapulco or elsewhere) in 1998 at a bargain price (under $10 K) and gradually upgraded over the years so that we now own a 2BR unit at the Grand Bliss -- always saying NO! to the salesmen until they practically gave away the upgrade we wanted (and always by us selling back unneeded weeks as part of the deal). Along the way we, too, have enjoyed several Rhythms of the Night and other freebies, and I have gone on multiple SCUBA trips with Vallarta Adventures. You have to be savvy and persistent with these people, and we've learned how to get what we want without a major investment. Now, our contract only requires us to pay for a week when we want to use one (no annual obligations for maintenance fees), and if we choose to stay at a Mayan Palace or Grand Mayan instead of the Grand Bliss, we pay the lower maintenance fee appropriate for that resort.

Robert A.
Oct 20, 2013

neilm85 wrote:
I have experienced the positive and negative experience as so many posts have written. The good news is the company continues to improve on what already was a fantastic resort experience. Make no mistake their sales people are the "best" As a sales person myself i do not hold a candle to them. My suggestion is that if you buy you make them write everything down and have someone in sufficient authority (that may be a difficult find) to sign. Maybe someone in finance who are at the final sales/signing. Their reservation claims are bogus. Their claims that as a particular level of equity owner you get preference at least for me have proved unsubstantiated. I believe they save space for new buyers to entice them to buy in the final sales stage. Someone buying during the year that will only buy if they get a future reservation are likely accomodated from saved inventory verses an already closed sale owner. As new buildings are opened I do not expect it to get any better because they are selling so many units each day or month. Go into this with eyes wide open and a realistic pre conceived dollar amount to spend and stick to it. The only likely sure way to reserve the time you want is to call reservations (which are very efficient and capable) on the first possible day of your allowable reservation timeframe window.

You post to get all promises in writing .... all promises should be part of your written contract ..... what is stated verbally by a salesperson will not hold up in a court of law .... only what's in the written contract.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.