Point Systems

Marriott Going to Point Syst

Feb 04, 2013

For week owners who have more then one week, joining the vacation points program opens up a lot of great opportunities.

However, purchasing the points directly from Marriott is super expensive and in my judgement not worth the price.

For example, for 4K you can purchase a Platinum week at Marriott Grande Vista from a member of redweek. To go there using new Marriott vacation points would cost over 30K. This difference is breathtakingly large. It basically means that most people don't understand the value of purchasing from a third party.

J E.
Feb 04, 2013

j227 wrote:
For week owners who have more then one week, joining the vacation points program opens up a lot of great opportunities.

However, purchasing the points directly from Marriott is super expensive and in my judgement not worth the price.

For example, for 4K you can purchase a Platinum week at Marriott Grande Vista from a member of redweek. To go there using new Marriott vacation points would cost over 30K. This difference is breathtakingly large. It basically means that most people don't understand the value of purchasing from a third party.

I only own one week in Hawaii and I would agree that it is worth it for me. The advantages are with the fees for the lockoff, the II membership, and the exchanges. In addition for a 1 week owner also is that you can RENT points to stay longer for a cheap price. I will say that since my week is platinum in Hawaii that I am getting quite a few more points than many of the resorts on the mainland, so I have more options and can stay more nights because of the high point value given to my unit. The DC is a benefit for me.

Charles S.
Feb 05, 2013

I called Cathy Jackson from corporate sales and verified this fact. The reason she sited is that points owners are depositing their weeks for cruises, trades, etc.,so the inventory is less available as a result. She also indicated that trading through Interval will become harder and harder to do. So, in essence, the result is the same as what we were told by the sales reps. And, I still believe if I was told this by 3 different reps, then it stands to reason that was the information they were given by MVC to pass along to prospects.

It is also extremely expensive in view of the fact that we have already spent a lot of money on our deeded weeks plus maintenance fees. The points are currently $11.40 per point. So, now instead of paying around $15,000 for 1,500 points, as it was in the beginning before the 7 price increases, it would now cost $17,100 and go up every time they increase, and another is due in March. If we bank our points for our platinum Vegas property into the DC point system, we would still be short about 1,500 to go to Hawaii or a Caribbean destination. We would break even on our 3 Br ocean front Palm Beach property. Since we're divers, we want to go to good dive locations, so Hawaii and the Caribbean is were we need to go. Thus, we would have to spend $17,100 at the current rate to make it work.

Even though you get the points every year, it's still astronomical. Plus, it eliminates your lock off trade ability. So, instead of two annual vacations from the lock off unit, you only get one if you deposit your unit for points. We could fly and stay at a luxury hotel for far less, or use Marriott Reward points for airfare and hotel. It's just a lousy deal for people who have already bought deeded weeks. I guess you'd have to determine how many trips you could take for $17,100 for it to be beneficial in the future.

I certainly won't be buying points at that price when I can put together a vacation way cheaper. Plus, I don't want Marriott to make yet another profit on me considering that the product I bought in deeded weeks is now worth a third of what I paid for it now. I never expected it to increase in value, but it certainly devalued at an alarming rate.

I stand by my original statement. Destinations points owners will have first dibs on trade inventory because they have bought into the system.

j227 wrote:
You said: "----- those who spend an additional $15,000 plus, will get first dibs on where they want to stay." Yes, this is what some salespersons say. However, this statement is not correct. Don't ask sales people. Call Marriott's 888 number and ask.

Jill R.
Feb 05, 2013

donp196 wrote:
The only question I have is should it be this difficult to use their system ? People who bought into their system spent a huge sum of money to join thier club. They obligated themselves to a lifetime of never ending increasing maintenance fees only to be told years down the road that they will have to invest even more to upgrade yet again.

The money most people spent just to join their program would be enough to purchase a new car. I guess there are a lot of people with money to burn.

If you surf enough websites you will find many timeshares out there to rent for less that a lot of people are paying in just maintenance fees. Just remember somewhere down the road your lifestyle might change and events occur in peoples lives that they no longer can or want to travel. Try selling or giving away your lifetime obligation and see how hard it has become in this economy.

I'm not condeming the industry but just pointing out some facts. People make choices and sign documents when they are in a state of euphoria when they are vacationing without reading through the papers they are signing coupled with the false promises made by many unscrupulous salespersons.

Just be wise and make and educated decisssion not based on impulse.

Very good advice, and not biased as the next poster stated. Merely factual, and well thought out.

The economy is only going to get worse at the rate the government is spending with no end in site, so unless you have "money to burn" as you said, it's better to hang onto the bulk of it and save at this point in time.

Even though we have taken some great vacations, we paid a premium to do so, and now our investment is devalued by two thirds. I wish we had looked into other options, and had not spent so much money now in light of the current economy. Having all of that money in savings or invested would be preferable now. I'd rather we had saved and put together great vacations on our own at a much lower cost than what we spent on our deeded weeks, maintenance fees, etc..

Jill R.
Feb 05, 2013

"In addition for a 1 week owner also is that you can RENT points to stay longer for a cheap price." charless345.... please elaborate on what you mean by "rent points" I have a need for about 65 points to make a full 8th day add on for this summer and trying to decide whether to dip into my 2014 points or just rent an extra day....

Ric K.
Feb 05, 2013

I understand all the downsides of the new points programs and havent commented in some time, but it still is working for me. I probably wouldnt buy new points either, but I am going to work the system as best as I can, and so far we have done the things that I have wanted to do... I know that the values have dropped on our investment. How is your home doing these days...?

Ric K.
Feb 06, 2013

My home has INCREASED in value 100per cent, it is on the beach. Marriott assured us when buying deeded weeks that oceanfront resorts in Hawaii would only go UP in value as it was the number ONE requested destination!!! But then they nevernsaid they could turn around and change rules in the middle of the game! People don't trust them as much, also no hotels to rent extra space when bringing more family but hey we believed the salespeople at Marriott......fools we were!

klalaw
Feb 06, 2013

As a member of the DC, one can transfer points to another member. So if you have points that you won't lose you can rent them for about 60 cents each. By renting points, a person could still upgrade to an ocean view room or a larger unit because you were able to rent points and not have increasing maintenace fees to worry about each year. You can rent points from vacationpointexchange.com.

rick1227 wrote:
"In addition for a 1 week owner also is that you can RENT points to stay longer for a cheap price." charless345.... please elaborate on what you mean by "rent points" I have a need for about 65 points to make a full 8th day add on for this summer and trying to decide whether to dip into my 2014 points or just rent an extra day....

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on Feb 06, 2013 10:27 PM

Feb 07, 2013

Thanks Charles, will check it out.

Ric K.
Feb 07, 2013

How can u be sure you r actually getting points if u buy/rent them from a point owner?

klalaw
Feb 07, 2013

klalaw07 wrote:
How can u be sure you r actually getting points if u buy/rent them from a point owner?

You can work with it throught Marriott. Pose the question on the site and GregT, who runs the site with S. Ting will inform you of how to safeguard yourself. Many owners have taken advantage of the renting process and love it. Marriott will do the transfer of the points. Make sure you are getting the right kind of points to use. Some points have limitations such as the bonus points legacy owners received when they joined. Those points have to be used within a year of their receipt.

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on Feb 07, 2013 10:37 AM

Aug 02, 2017

I live in Hawaii and am undecided of purchasing a resale in weeks versus points.

I would be utilizing it more in Hawaii-Oahu koolina but would occasionally travel in the future.

Question is if I purchase the weeks in koolina and want to stay at another resort are there any fees or can i even stay at another resort?

Thanks Jennifer

Jennifer R.
Aug 12, 2017

If you are a weeks owner your only sure option is to book and stay at your ownership resort. Another option is to book your week, bank it with II (you will have to secure a membership with them) and then trade it for a week at the desired time and resort you wish to travel to. This option is dependent on another Marriott owner at that resort giving up their week to II so you can trade/exchange for it. With the Points system (Destinations Program) in place there would, more than likely, be fewer weeks banked with II than there have been in the past. My advice to you would be to buy points and look for them on the resale market. Redweek.com is a good place. Even if you bought a week (resale), the Destinations Program would not be an option as Marriott does not allow "resale" weeks to be entered into that program. Hopefully this helps you in making the correct decision for you and what you are looking to do now and in the future. Good luck. Oh, and by the way, I own both Marriott and Wyndham and I prefer my Wyndham over Marriott in most all cases. Wyndham has many resorts in Hawaii, is a better bargain both in resale purchase price and maintenance fees and is totally a points system allowing you to book and travel to any of their resorts without any extra fees. Message me if you wish more information on either company's program. Again, hope this is helpful.

jenniferr921 wrote:
I live in Hawaii and am undecided of purchasing a resale in weeks versus points.

I would be utilizing it more in Hawaii-Oahu koolina but would occasionally travel in the future.

Question is if I purchase the weeks in koolina and want to stay at another resort are there any fees or can i even stay at another resort?

Thanks Jennifer

Dennis N.
Oct 16, 2018

Marriott Vacation Club stole my Timeshare in Orlando. After 17 years of ownership, they stole my 35,000 USD property because I forgot to pay the 1200 USD maintenance fee one time. I moved and did not receive the notice. They had my phone number and email address, but sent the notice via "snail mail". Who does that in 2018! When I noticed that I had not paid the annual maintenance fee I contacted them to make arrangements to pay it immediately. When I called them, they said "too bad" we took it already! Crooks!!!

Mark T.
Oct 18, 2018

markt611 wrote:
Marriott Vacation Club stole my Timeshare in Orlando. After 17 years of ownership, they stole my 35,000 USD property because I forgot to pay the 1200 USD maintenance fee one time. I moved and did not receive the notice. They had my phone number and email address, but sent the notice via "snail mail". Who does that in 2018! When I noticed that I had not paid the annual maintenance fee I contacted them to make arrangements to pay it immediately. When I called them, they said "too bad" we took it already! Crooks!!!

It's October now, which would mean the MF's are 10 months overdue. When did you notice that you didn't pay and make arrangements. Did you simply use your 2018 usage or had they already completely foreclosed on the the account? Typically that process would take 6-12 months depending on the state.

In 2018, Marriott also has online accounts that you could log onto anytime from anywhere to see your account information including how much is due and when it is due. You don't have to rely on "snail mail" alone. I am surprised you didn't have your mail automatically forwarded from your old address.

If you really want another Marriott in Orlando, you can get one for $0-$3500 depending on the resort and season.

Tracey S.
Jun 15, 2019

But the problem with the Marriott points is that you can only stay at a Marriott resort, wherever that may be. When the salesman asked us where we would like to go we said Yellowstone NP. He said "No, we don't have a Marriott there." Where's the benefit of that? We want to go where we want to go, not wherever Marriott happens to have a resort!

Scott T.
Jun 19, 2019

Hi Jill R. I agree with you post. I would like to add, in my humble opinion, even using the deeded week to try to get into another Marriott is soon going to be extremely difficult or impossible.

Looking at the availablity at a property through the point reservation/availablity search in the owners access area on Marriott's website, you will see getting a full week during a prime season has become virtually impossible.

The weeks are all chopped up with people staying only a couple of days here and there.

This is not the way we like to use our timeshare or why we bought a week.

In the research I have done for our way of using our platinum season weeks, the points value given is not worth the cost to turn our platinum week in for the trips, cruises or other non timeshare offers. It has been our research and opinion that we could just pay less at open market prices from the sources of these other offerings.

These ideas are enticing and sound so nice to be flexible. But when we look at the cost analysis, our opinion doesn't match the sales hyped value.

jillr65 wrote:
I called Cathy Jackson from corporate sales and verified this fact. The reason she sited is that points owners are depositing their weeks for cruises, trades, etc.,so the inventory is less available as a result. She also indicated that trading through Interval will become harder and harder to do. So, in essence, the result is the same as what we were told by the sales reps. And, I still believe if I was told this by 3 different reps, then it stands to reason that was the information they were given by MVC to pass along to prospects.

It is also extremely expensive in view of the fact that we have already spent a lot of money on our deeded weeks plus maintenance fees. The points are currently $11.40 per point. So, now instead of paying around $15,000 for 1,500 points, as it was in the beginning before the 7 price increases, it would now cost $17,100 and go up every time they increase, and another is due in March. If we bank our points for our platinum Vegas property into the DC point system, we would still be short about 1,500 to go to Hawaii or a Caribbean destination. We would break even on our 3 Br ocean front Palm Beach property. Since we're divers, we want to go to good dive locations, so Hawaii and the Caribbean is were we need to go. Thus, we would have to spend $17,100 at the current rate to make it work.

Even though you get the points every year, it's still astronomical. Plus, it eliminates your lock off trade ability. So, instead of two annual vacations from the lock off unit, you only get one if you deposit your unit for points. We could fly and stay at a luxury hotel for far less, or use Marriott Reward points for airfare and hotel. It's just a lousy deal for people who have already bought deeded weeks. I guess you'd have to determine how many trips you could take for $17,100 for it to be beneficial in the future.

I certainly won't be buying points at that price when I can put together a vacation way cheaper. Plus, I don't want Marriott to make yet another profit on me considering that the product I bought in deeded weeks is now worth a third of what I paid for it now. I never expected it to increase in value, but it certainly devalued at an alarming rate.

I stand by my original statement. Destinations points owners will have first dibs on trade inventory because they have bought into the system.

j227 wrote:
You said: "----- those who spend an additional $15,000 plus, will get first dibs on where they want to stay." Yes, this is what some salespersons say. However, this statement is not correct. Don't ask sales people. Call Marriott's 888 number and ask.

L M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.