General Discussion

TRYING TO GET OUT OF MEXICO TIMESHARE

Jan 08, 2018

My loan is paid off...but they keep raising the maintenance fee. I can't afford it anymore. How do you walk away without having them affect your credit or putting a lien on your home in USA. Timeshare is Grand Solmar Lands End in Cabo. So I researched a little and found a sales rep for the timeshare on FB. I messaged her. She passed along the request to surrender my timeshare

I got an email today. They want $1800 to relinquish my contract.

Dawn B.

Last edited by dawnb458 on Jan 10, 2018 04:07 PM

Jan 08, 2018

dawnb458 wrote:
How do you walk away without having them affect your credit or putting a lien on your home one the USA. Timeshare is Grand Solmar Lands End in Cabo

It's highly doubtful that this company in Mexico can put a lien on a building in the USA. That is probably out of its jurisdiction. Also, chances are slim that the resort or its management will hamper your credit rating. For most of the Mexican RTUs, they just accept that the "owner" is defaulting, reclaim the unit, and then sell it to someone else for tens of thousands of dollars after putting them through the grinder at a sales presentation.

Lance C.
Jan 09, 2018

Thank you for your answer. So basically I would lose the $1100 dp, and my 1st finance Payment I just made, then expect a slew of collection calls till they eventually stop coming.

Marc S.
Jan 09, 2018

marcs207 wrote:
So basically I would lose the $1100 dp, and my 1st finance Payment I just made, then expect a slew of collection calls till they eventually stop coming.

Any money you have paid to date is certainly gone forever.

The likelihood of collection calls is less certain; they MAY not even bother. One approach to consider is to send them a letter (do not call), clearly stating that you now realize that you made a mistake and that you will be making NO further payments. Any such correspondence has no legal impact, but it *MIGHT* discourage them from even bothering with any collection efforts. They *might* just shrug their shoulders and write you off, then and there. After all, they have (and will keep) SOME money from you already and they know they have no leverage or legal jurisdiction over you here in the USA.

They also know that they are "out" absolutely nothing of any real value; they sold you a paper "membership", granting you a date-finite "right to use", with no actual ownership of ANYTHING. They can sell as many of those RTU contracts as they wish --- and they know that the parade of gringos coming in to sign on the dotted line is continuous and virtually endless, so why even bother to pester anyone over whom they have no real leverage or jurisdiction anyhow?

Just consider the experience a life lesson, learned at a cost --- and move on.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 26, 2018 03:38 AM

Jan 10, 2018

Don’t!!

Dawn B.
Jan 11, 2018

dawnb458 wrote:
Don’t!!

Who or what does your "one word with two exclamation points" post address?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 26, 2018 03:40 AM

Apr 26, 2018

Hey, I don't wanna pay our timeshare anymore either...we own it but don't wanna use it anymore and the fees are getting out of hand. Let me know what happened to you and what you are up to. I don't think they can do much cause it's in Mexico... L8R, Michael

Michael A.
Apr 26, 2018

Just walk away and stop paying .

Don P.
Apr 28, 2018

They want us to pay $2,800 before they will send the docs to cancel our membership. I have asked them to send the docs 1st and now they say they don't have them on site, and they also said that we only have 5 days to complete this transaction. They are bullies and I don't wanna deal with them anymore. I am ok with collectors calling me if they go that route for I'm sick and tired of their tactics. My email address is moonlightbeachfootbagger@gmail.com is anyone wants to talk off line. L8R, Michael

Michael A.
Apr 28, 2018

Just stop sending them money and tell them not to contact you . You don't own a Mexican timeshare . It's a right to use . Just stop paying them and they will eventually go away .

Don P.
Apr 28, 2018

I think they will forward this to their collection agency and it might ding our credit. My Step-mother is in the process of not paying assessment fees for a RTU Mexican Timeshare and they sent it to collections and then she wrote a letter to them and she is refusing to pay. so we'll see how things go with her as well. L8R, Michael

Michael A.

Last edited by michaela1104 on Apr 28, 2018 05:29 PM

Apr 28, 2018

Any word on what happened? We are at the point of not wanting to pay our fees anymore. L8R, Michael

Michael A.
Apr 28, 2018

I doubt very much they will pursue it any further . They would have to sue you in court to obtain a judgement to collect anything . Even if somehow they would try to ding your credit you just dispute it and they have to produce a judgement . Good luck with that . The credit monitoring companies don't just take peoples word that someone owes them money ,

Don P.
Jul 17, 2018

I have mine at Pueblo Bonito Sunset in Cabo. Lies, Lies , Lies. Nothing they said is true, except they always have good weather. I signed my contract and finace agreement in Cabo. It did not state who the finance company actually is, so I called Concord Servicing Corp in the states and they said they represent the financing in Mexico. Based on that and your post, were you financed thru the same company and have you walked away from your contract and are they harassing you. I was told that they can come after you in the states. I do not know if it is true.

Thanks, Marc

Marc S.
Jul 19, 2018

How did you make out. I called Concord Servicing, who I’d the finance company Pueblo Bonito uses, and they said their company is based in the US. They finance for the Mexican Timeshares. so since it is US based, they can sue you and ruin your credit rating by doing so. I still want to do like you, so Please share how you made out.

Marc S.
Jul 19, 2018

No one is going to "sue" you over a Mexican right to use timeshare contract. In such a RTU contract you don't even actually "own" anything --- it's a relatively worthless "membership" product and certainly not worth their filing a lawsuit.

If they have a business presence in the U.S., there may be collection efforts and calls and they can (and likely will) file a negative credit report if you ultimately decide to renege on your contract and default, but they won't ever bother doing anything further. It's just not worth their effort or expense over a membership with no monetary value in the first place. There are plenty of other Gringos who will come along and pony up and sign on the dotted line --- and those sales weasels know that. You'll be disappearing figures in each other's rear view mirrors soon enough. Tell them to go pound Mexican sand (or just don't tell them anything at all), but don't send them another penny.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 19, 2018 04:42 PM

Jul 19, 2018

Today you can dispute negative marks on your credit report and many people have had those marks removed . Even if they decide to file anything against you which I doubt they would ever do you can argue that they deceived you . If it was me I would just stop paying and walk away .

Don P.
Jul 22, 2018

I worked for PBS as a sales and contracts rep, and throughout Mexico and know the laws.

It's a Mexican timeshare, you are a foreigner, and can simply walk away without any legal issues.

Yes, they might tell you that you cannot cancel, but all you have to do is NOTHING.

Wayne C.

Last edited by vhines on Jul 25, 2018 08:04 AM

Jul 22, 2018

There are no repercussions. You just lost your money, and you can simply walk away.

I worked for Bahia Prinicpe and other resorts throughout the DR, and you actually do not own anything. In fact, Bahia and all other "timeshares " in the DR and Mexico does not own anything. They do not own timeshare. It's just a travel club. They rent the rooms from the resorts which is why there is never any availability.

Also, when you pay the mandatory all inclusive, you are actually paying more than the general public.

Wayne C.

Last edited by vhines on Jul 25, 2018 08:05 AM

Oct 02, 2018

My timeshare is in collections for not paying maintenance fees. Can I negotiate with them to pay it current and reinstate my usage?

Jill G.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.