General Discussion

TRYING TO GET OUT OF MEXICO TIMESHARE

Jun 07, 2019

If the contract says the timeshare is deeded is it a legal contract? I have not paid Bel Air in Mexico anything for over 7 years now and only one e-mail stating they would take this to collection agency. Are all timeshares only right to use? I don't think they can touch me with a ten foot pole as they haven't yet. All you can do with these timeshare crooks is kiss the money goodbye. Good luck to all.

Leona R.

Last edited by leonar10 on Jun 07, 2019 09:44 AM

Aug 07, 2019

Does this apply to all Canadians not continuing to pay any fees any longer to a timeshare purchased in Puerto vaharta? We bought in with villa Del mar and want out immediately, have been paying for 6 yrs now. Big rip off! They just keep wanting more and more money for every little thing! If we stop all payments will this effect our credit rating in Canada?

Kerry K.

Last edited by kerryk99 on Aug 07, 2019 08:15 AM

Aug 07, 2019

kerryk99 wrote:
If we stop all payments will this effect our credit rating in Canada?

Chances are slim seeing that it is a Mexican timeshare. I would only worry about credit rating if you were looking to get a huge loan or mortgage in the near future.

Lance C.
Aug 15, 2019

I have not paid anything for years now and they only threatened collection agency once. I told them to foreclose as I cannot afford my timeshare and do not travel to Mexico anymore. so far so good.

Leona R.
Aug 15, 2019

They send me a bill every month which I just ignore. No collection agency yet. I refuse to give them another cent. I don't go to Mexico and do not want their useless timeshare. Honestly, you are better off renting your own hotel or all inclusive as it is much cheaper. I wish I had never bought into this.

Leona R.
Aug 15, 2019

I live in Canada. I am not worried about my credit score as I never need credit anyway.

Leona R.
Aug 15, 2019

mikaelg5 wrote:
May I ask which state you live in? Do you know if there is a Foreign-Country Money Judgment Recognition Act in place for your state, or perhaps something similar? It sounds like you have been fortunate. I want to try to determine my odds for similar good fortune!

leonar10 wrote:
I have not heard from Bel Air (formerly the Grande) for over a year. They threatened collection agency and still nothing. I have not paid maintenance fee for over 7 years now. I absolutely refuse to pay them another cent. I have told them that I cannot afford this timeshare and do not use it. I don't think they can do anything as they haven't yet. Good luck to all who want out.

I am Canadian. I have never heard of Foreign-country Money Judgement Recognition Act.

Leona R.
Aug 16, 2019

Hello is there anyone who has a timeshare with Raintree/Westin Club Regina that you walked away from who can share their experience with this company?

Margaret S.
Sep 19, 2019

This is a story of a lovely couple named Patrick and Shannon.

They went on their dream vacation together one fine summer and planned on having the time of their lives.

And for the most part they did.

Except for when they returned home. There was something uneasy about the timeshare thing when they bought it - It didn’t sit well.

Patrick and Shannon started looking into forums and doing research on the resort they bought their timeshare from.

There wasn’t much in the way of “good” being said about em’, that’s for sure. This was bad. Patrick and Shannon started getting a queasy feeling in their stomachs as they began reading some of the horror stories that were posted online.

Why they didn’t look into it at the time is a mystery but it probably had something to do with being on their dream vacation and traveling internationally for the first time. They must’ve been on a first-timers “high.”

It got even scarier when they couldn’t reach anyone for months by phone about their property to try and make a reservation or find out what was going on. They spoke to some people via e-mail but it was really just a bunch of “ring around the rosey.”

One of the lady reps who finally did answer, convinced them that it was better to get one of their other packages, seeing as how the one they purchased was “experiencing a lot of similar problems.” Naively, the couple shelled out more of their hard-earned money to this timeshare crisis in their lives.

It ended up being another scam.

2 years later, they were still paying the maintenance fees, which were continually increasing because they didn’t want their credit to suffer.

Even more, they got preyed upon by scammers lurking in forums that lured them into another scam where they had yet more money taken from them.

They joined a class action law-suit but it just puttered along, just as the attorney firm they had hired to help them get out of this “money-suck.”

After 14 months of paying them, there were still no results and the couple was no closer to getting out than when they started.

Dream vacation turned nightmare.

So, what could they have done differently to not end up in such a wretched situation?

Well, other than the obvious, they could have done research on the resort before-hand. Also, they could have avoided further frustration and financial hard-ship had they not been so gullible when they let the lady con them on the phone or in the forums where yet they again did not look into the individuals claims or company.

Most of the timeshare contracts out there clearly state whose really in charge here… and we all know it’s them.

The #1 thing anyone can do to avoid this drama is to take caution. Do research people. Look into matter and ask question about things. And please, let your curiosity fly with this one.

It’ll be much better than wearing the cross of regret I’ll tell ya.

So, the next time you’re offered anything, especially a timeshare, make sure you find out all about these whipper snappers. Are they legit? What’s the risk? What are people saying about them?, etc, etc…

Happy travels out there. -

Blake S.

Last edited by phyl21 on Sep 19, 2019 11:15 AM

Sep 20, 2019

Hi, we are on the same boat, gave $3700dp,but are no more interested in continuing, was just wondering what happened, did they took any action

Randeep S.
Sep 23, 2019

I have a GREAT IDEA! I say all timeshare victims get together in a class action suit against any and ALL governments that allow a sales transaction of absolutely no value for thousands of dollars. Obviously politicians are getting their pockets lined for allowing this rip off to continue. Not to mention the vacation ownerships along with the timeshares where the name of the hotel/building change along with the rules although not on a contract anywhere, and the victim's money disappears with the owners. For instance the Trump Tower that was supposed to be built in Ensenada, Mexico. A Mexican court ordered he and his daughter pay back their victims in 2009 and to this day they NEVER have. Hence, a very good reason why he does not like Mexico. This thief then became president. See how corrupt everything is folks?!!! So shameful.

Roxy

Last edited by rachelek on Sep 23, 2019 07:46 AM

Sep 23, 2019

My husband and I got conned into a timeshare in the Sunset Beach area and when we sent our quit notice by $50 International delivery they would not accept the mail! Then I was told by FEDEX in Cabo San Lucas that "their address does not exist." True there is no street number but theirs is the only property on that road! So the address on our timeshare is non existent. Which means there is a total breach of contract. My father and his wife purchased a "vacation ownership with a Lloyds of London guarantee" at the Cabo Viejo in Pedregal. Turns out six months after he did, they changed the name and started selling them as condos. In fact I saw an episode on a show like House Hunters International and they sold one of them to a couple from the states! Turns out, Lloyds of London had absolutely no business deal with these people and the $5,000 he paid for that was confiscated by these thieves, on top of the vacation ownership price. They lost their money on the "vacation ownership" deal too. Oddly, a couple months after this happened, someone from Mexico had their Visa number and charged up to $20,000 on it which thankfully was reversed. However, that place was THE ONLY PLACE they used that card in Mexico. So beware of who you give your credit card too while traveling there other than the hotel you are actually staying in. There is no consumer protection in that country (as in most foreign countries), and the USA doesn't give a rat's behind what happens to its citizens abroad. You are totally on your own when this happens.

Roxy
Oct 02, 2019

I own timeshare at the Bliss, (Mayan Palace) in Nuevo Vallarta. Is any one familiar with the American Financial Management Group, Denver, CO? They are offering to buy my timeshare. So far, they have not asked for any up front fees.

Gerald P.
Oct 02, 2019

Wait for it . They draw you in with an offer to buy . They string you along for a while until they believe you are hooked and then they come up with a " fee " that has to be paid before they can complete the transaction . They are very good at what they do . If you decide to go along with them then as soon as they ask for any money it's time to end the scam .

Don P.
Oct 02, 2019

geraldp29 wrote:
They are offering to buy my timeshare. So far, they have not asked for any up front fees.

They do not want to buy your timeshare (or membership). There are probably dozens, if not hundreds, of units for sale or giveaway in Nuevo Vallarta. How much did they offer to allegedly buy this from you?

Lance C.
Oct 03, 2019

They offered $98,000, which I knew was suspect. Another company, Lets Play Travel, offered $71,000.

Gerald P.
Oct 04, 2019

geraldp29 wrote:
They offered $98,000, which I knew was suspect. Another company, Lets Play Travel, offered $71,000.

Well, you just confirmed that this is a scam.

Lance C.
Nov 12, 2019

Was your membership paid up? I was told by a Mexican lawyer that if your fees are paid in full you can cancel your time share and walk away.

Colleen G.
Nov 22, 2019

Be wary of Mexico lawyers. File a complaint with the Mexico regulatory agency Profeco if you are disputing a contract due to deception.

https://www.gob.mx/profeco

Vidanta and Krystal are really bad actors

Irene P.
Dec 23, 2019

Hi Mark S. I am have the same problem with SBSB and was wondering if they reported your credit? or if you have any updates on how you dealt with them? Or have any advice?

Thank you in advance

marcs207 wrote:
Is the timeshare financed? I purchased at Pueblo Bonita Sunset and found out that all that was told to was was false. That is why I want to stop paying the financing.

Beau D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.