Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

IA Vacations/ American Timeshare Closings

Nov 19, 2009

YOU MAY HAVE RECEIVED A TIMESHARE FROM THEM , BUT THE SELLER DID NOT RECEIVE ANY FUNDS....

GOOD FOR THE BUYER - BAD FOR THE SELLER!!!!

Tobi W.
Nov 19, 2009

tanyas72 wrote:
We made an offer on a timeshare through them is was listed on sell my timeshare now. I looked hear and everywhere before going through them but they were the only one who had the place, week, and price that we wanted but they said they charge $1000 for there services but that it was just taken out of the offer that's made to the seller. I am not sure if that is the way it works or not it seems kind of high to me. We are brand new to this and would like any input anyone might have for us. We don't want to make a bad choice. Thank you in advance.
STAY AWAY - PLEASE

Tobi W.
Nov 19, 2009

lauras91 wrote:
Has anyone else sold a timeshare to American Timeshare Closings/ IA Vacations out of Seiverville, Tennessee, and not received payment. I am worried now that they have had me sign over my timeshare to them, and not get paid. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Laura Schrengohst

LAURA, I HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY FUNDS EITHER. IT LOOKS LIKE WE ARE STUCK. THE BBB SUGGESTED GETTING AN ATTORNEY BUT THAT WOULD COST TOO MUCH AND BY THE TIME WE ALL FIGHT THIS OUT WITH THEM AS A TEAM THEY WOULD FILE BANKRUPTCY

Tobi W.
Nov 19, 2009

Thanks everybody for this information. Since we do use our timeshare (even though we own in Maui so we exchange it), I think we'll keep it for a while. I've been scammed once for $399, and that's enough. It's so sad because everyone sounds so ligit, but they're all scams, and unless you've been burned once, or have been informed, you have a great chance of becoming their next victim. Actually, though, from what I've seen from this forum, if you want to get out of your maintenance fees and don't care about whether you receive any money from it, then IA Vacations may be an answer. Is that correct? From what I see, the title was changed out of your names right so you no longer have the maintenance fee burdens? But still, at least in my case, they committed to chging the deed out of my name and sending me $$$, and it would be nice if they kept their word on both points. There has got to be some good actors out there.

Pat W.
Nov 20, 2009

tobiw3 wrote:
lauras91 wrote:
Has anyone else sold a timeshare to American Timeshare Closings/ IA Vacations out of Seiverville, Tennessee, and not received payment. I am worried now that they have had me sign over my timeshare to them, and not get paid. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Laura Schrengohst

LAURA, I HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY FUNDS EITHER. IT LOOKS LIKE WE ARE STUCK. THE BBB SUGGESTED GETTING AN ATTORNEY BUT THAT WOULD COST TOO MUCH AND BY THE TIME WE ALL FIGHT THIS OUT WITH THEM AS A TEAM THEY WOULD FILE BANKRUPTCY

File a complaint with the Tennessee AG ... you can google to find how to file a complaint under Tennessee Attorney General.

R P.
Nov 21, 2009

You people need to file complaint with Tennessee Attorney General as suggested above. Scum like this keep ripping people off because they count on the fact that no one wants to take the time to go after them! These businesses have to be accountable. There seem to be enough businesses like this out there to fill a small prison because good people refuse to step up.

Gail C.
Nov 21, 2009

I would like to get rid of my timeshare to get out from under the maintainance fees. IA said they would 'take' it if I paid closing costs and the 2010 fees. I'm willing to do this to get rid of it. Will they legitimately transfer the deed and get me out of it? Thanks, Pam

Pam B.
Nov 22, 2009

IA told me the unit I bought has been registered with the county but as of today, I have no papers. In the same breath, they asked me to pay the 2010 maintenance fees directly to them. That I will not do. Sounds like the sellers are being asked to pay the maintenance fees as well. That's a double dip.

Pam, what do you have. If you are going to give it away, I can maybe take it on better terms than you have been offered.

Russ G.
Nov 22, 2009

I have a floating week at Vistana's Beach club. It's affiliated with Starwood and II. It's a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom red week with 76,000 Starwood points.

Pam B.
Nov 23, 2009

It's on the wrong side of the country for me but it may work if I can trade your week for something in Hawaii or Arizona. How well does this resort trade?

Russ G.
Nov 23, 2009

This resort trades very well. We've been to St John, Hawaii, St Maarten, Smuggler's Notch, and many others. We've never had a problem trading it, we just never use it any more. We've had it since 1992, and gotten our money's worth. I'm willing to give it away to anyone who wants it.

Pam B.
Nov 24, 2009

I am interested, on the basis that I would take care of the closing costs and 2010 maintenance, provided the deed was registered in my name by end of this year. Sometimes the transfers get held up and I wouldn't want to get stuck paying maintenance for 2010 with no ability to use. Pls clarify the 76000 SW points. Is that what this week trades for, or do you have a credit with SW that transfers with the property?

Russ G.
Nov 25, 2009

I agreed to purchase, but have not signed anything, a unit on Hilton Head from this company. Everything I am reading is about sellers trying to get their money and that is terrible but I wonder if they are legit for a buyer? Any comments. My gut is telling me to run for the exit thinking if they're scamming sellers they'll scam a buyer too.

Jeff C.
Nov 29, 2009

Did you have to pay any money for the sale of your timeshare for closing fees or anything else? I have two timeshares I want get rid of but kind of leary after reading some of the posts on here. That and what kind of money do they offer you for the timeshare? To be honest i would gladly give them away.

Chris

Chris P.
Nov 29, 2009

Where are your timeshares at, what resorts on HHI?

Jeff C.
Nov 30, 2009

Both timeshares are in Florida (Orlando - St. Lucie)

Vistana Cascades - Orlando

PGA Sheraton -Village North Condiminium - St Lucie

Chris P.

Last edited by chrisp283 on Nov 30, 2009 08:03 AM

Dec 28, 2009

My friend had a hard time getting her money. She kept calling them but finally called the guy she dealt with and he got in touch with them for her. She happened to be near Sevierville and called them and told them she was coming to their office to get her money and she got it. She has heard that they are better since he got in touch with them.

Ann P.
Dec 28, 2009

Well the plot thickens. They told me the deed had been registered but they couldn't provide a copy. I got a copy from the county. Turns out the parcel that was in my contract was sold to another person, and the deed I got was for a nonexistent parcel (invalid parcel no.) and it was 1/104th instead of 1/52nd. Meanwhile the closing co (ATC) told me I had to pay the maintenance to them, right now. When I called the resort, I found out that the closing co had not gotten the release (first right of refusal) because they had not sent in any paperwork. Paperwork was submitted thereafter but resort said "it's all messed up". Then IA vacations accused me of making up a parcel no and writing it into the sales agreement. I have an email from them in which they provided the parcel no. (the one that was registered to another buyer). So I don't have a valid deed, and as a result of their incompetence, all the best weeks are already booked for 2010 at the resort.

I have some words of advice for anyone contemplating dealing with these people.

RUN THE OTHER WAY, AS FAST AS YOU CAN

Russ G.
Feb 19, 2010

Well well here we are in Feb 2010, 6 months after purchasing a unit from IA Vacations off Ebay. The resort finally (a few days ago) recognized the deed, ie recognized us as owners, even if the parcel has been switched unilaterally by IA Vacations and their closing company (ATC), which we suspect is the same company by a different name. And by the way, the taxes are in arrears (unpaid for 2009) on this new parcel. Furthermore, the deed reflects a payment of $1000 for the parcel, not the $6666 we paid for the parcel originally sold to us. And due to the delays, of course there are no workable dates left for 2010. We requested a refund from IA Vacations, and they have told us to get lost, and furthermore, they have told us they won't respond to any further communications from us.

So step 1, we have filed a complaint with the AG of TN.

Step 2, we will file a lawsuit.

Step 3, we will inform San Diego County, as well as the IRS, about the understated consideration noted on the deed. IA Vacations had an opportunity to amend the deed, and they did make a partial amendment to correct some other errors (nonexistent parcel no, incorrect "undivided share" fraction, but they steadfastly refuse to correct this misstated consideration. We believe this is an attempt to minimize or avoid county and/or federal taxes.

I can't speak for the sellers, but I can tell you that as buyers, we have been screwed over quite well by this company and its owner, Mr. Stacy Gillispie.

Russ G.
Feb 20, 2010

I did finally get my money. It took some work. When I filed a complaint with the Knoxville area BBB, I then got action. You may need to call up there and ask for the manager - I think her name is Debbie, and don't let up!

Laura S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.