Timeshare Exchanges

Diamond Resorts enormously increases the cost of Maintenance/Reserves on their resorts.

Nov 01, 2011

I was happy to learn of this group! I registered as did a friend.I have 2 contracts for odd years-float-float.I didn't remember the dates when I bought them for sure ,but the deeds are in my SDB.What affect does membership in the "Hawaiian Collection" have? We are also paying the water charge there! What scares me ,is that there are a whole lot of resorts in the group that may need a lift!

Diana S.
Nov 20, 2011

ATTN: All Poipu Deeded & Points owners

COPP is presenting some thoughts about the situation we all find ourselves in...

There is strong evidence of water damage at our resort. That is an unfortunate fact. DIAMOND RESORTS INTERNATIONAL has stated definitively and repeatedly that anyone currently affiliated with our resort is responsible for their share of the "Water Intrusion Assessment," or approximately $5,800 per interval owned.

DIAMOND RESORTS INTERNATIONAL has stated that failure to pay your assessment will result in foreclosure on your interval. HOWEVER, they have also indicated that they will pursue, through means including collections, your portion of the water intrusion assessment even after foreclosure. In other words, as it stands right now, only by paying your assessment can you avoid collections action.

Fast Answers: There have been internet postings where an owner at Poipu has been told by a company that if they paid them, they would take their interval and file a class action lawsuit to relieve them of their responsibility for the assessment. Our advice is to remain sceptical. They will have your deed and you are still responsible for the assessment. Remember, IF IT IS NOT IN WRITING, YOU HAVE NOTHING! Even then, it might only be worth the paper it is written on. Another owner posted that he was told by DIAMOND RESORTS INTERNATIONAL that if they were to walk away he would not be held responsible for his maintenance fees. Remember, your "MAINTENANCE FEE" is different from your "WATER INTRUSION ASSESSMENT." If you walk away now, you will lose your deed and yet you are still responsible for the water intrusion assessment. Pay attention to the details! We have seen emails forwarded to COPP by other owners, that if you pay $8,960.00 you can purchase points and GIVE THEM YOUR DEED! The down payment is $2,900.00 (more than your first installment on the assessment!) and a monthly payment of $227). Now you no longer OWN A DEEDED PROPERTY. BUT, you are now liable for almost half again as much as the assessment AND, they have your deed!

Suggestions: Monitor the internet for information regularly. Check out RedWeek.com and you will see that there are points owners being assessed just like the deeded owners. Make certain that you understand that there is no guarantee that you will not be hit with an assessment in the future AND you will also see lots of points owners being rocked by enormous increases in their annual fees. www.poipuowners.org is your website – make sure your register! This will put you on our mailing list and give you the most recent information on what is happening. Follow discussions regularly at the following: https://www.facebook.com/pointatpoipu https://blog.poipuowners.org

David L.
Dec 05, 2011

check these items on Google Diamond Resorts International Problems Diamond Resorts International Lawsuit Diamond Resorts Problems Diamond Resorts Lawsuit Poipu Owners Group Poipu Owners Lawsuit

David L.
Dec 14, 2011

I own alternating point weeks and am being assessed for water damages as well. Sandbobber@comcast.net

Sandra R.
Dec 14, 2011

It is not PAST DUE until February 1st. If you are not happy, go to www.poipuowners.org and register. Things are going on...

David L.
Apr 10, 2012

Point at Poipu Owners!! Here is the announcement for which we have all been waiting! The lawsuit has been filed! It was filed Friday in Federal District Court in Hawaii. COPP will be mailing out a note with the lawsuit attached. It will also be going up on our website. I think that we will have DRI's attention now! What did Mr. C say? Yes, that's right, there are "10" unhappy customers. We'll see...

David L.
May 07, 2012

Is there any information on a Class Action lawsuit against Diamond Resorts as part of the points system?

Elizabeth P.
May 07, 2012

Same lawsuit. www.poipuowners.org. Go to the newsletters and click on the one about the lawsuit for the full complaint.

David L.
Jun 27, 2012

I am very greatful for this forum. It certainly was great information to have when DRI made their pitch to me at their Kanaapali Beach location in Maui. Offering 6500 points for a mere $16k. After reading all of these horror stories about DRI points systems, there was no way I would seriously consider (I'm not even sure I would consider buying on the resale market). I certainly will point my friends who are considering DRI to this forum. Of course, I face similar battles with my Marriott timeshare -- Marriott is really trying to get me to convert my week to points -- other than the flexibility of checking in anytime during the week, there isn't any advantage to converting to points. A Skeptical Texan

David R.

Last edited by davidr13 on Jun 27, 2012 10:56 AM

Jun 27, 2012

Just understand that not everyone is unhappy with DRI. There are also owners like myself who are happy. DRI is like any other timeshare in that it has its positives and negatives. I too own Marriott. They have their pluses and minuses. Many people who had weeks in the Marriott system and were adverse against it have now found it to be a plus.

DRI or Marriott does not matter. The key is to learn how to use your membership in either case. Most don't learn how to use their membership and don't even use it and then complain because they are paying maintenance fees. So my advice is to learn to use your memberships first before passing judgment and learn the nuances to it. You may be suprised by what you discover.

By the way, I love my DRI membership in conjunction with Marriott. The two of them work very, very well together.

Charles S.
Jul 01, 2012

charless345 wrote:
Just understand that not everyone is unhappy with DRI. There are also owners like myself who are happy. DRI is like any other timeshare in that it has its positives and negatives. I too own Marriott. They have their pluses and minuses. Many people who had weeks in the Marriott system and were adverse against it have now found it to be a plus.

DRI or Marriott does not matter. The key is to learn how to use your membership in either case. Most don't learn how to use their membership and don't even use it and then complain because they are paying maintenance fees. So my advice is to learn to use your memberships first before passing judgment and learn the nuances to it. You may be suprised by what you discover.

By the way, I love my DRI membership in conjunction with Marriott. The two of them work very, very well together.

So then are current happy owners the target audience for anyone looking to sell their points? I'm sure that there are many owners who would be willing to give away their points to just avoid MFs.

Linda W.
Jul 01, 2012

lindaw642 wrote:
charless345 wrote:

So then are current happy owners the target audience for anyone looking to sell their points? I'm sure that there are many owners who would be willing to give away their points to just avoid MFs.

Linda, I would most certainly buy them from you for $1. However, just like I wanted to buy a flat screen television, I will wait until I need them.

I have 30,000 points. That is more than enough for my current needs along with my Marriott points. Thus, with these two I pay over $5000 in maintenance fees each year. However, even if I were a newbie coming into the system, I would not pick up your points unless i could get DRI to allow them to become Club points. I would want total flexibility and not be handcuffed to only a portion of the DRI repertoire. Now I have heard that they do allow you to bring in resale points as long as you buy a certain amount of developer points.

Because I am a happy owner, it does not make me go beyond my piggybank to make a foolish owner. :-)

Charles S.
Aug 19, 2012

Linda, how many points are you willing to sell for $1? Are they part of the Hawaii Collection? I might be interested if it doesn't cost me too much to get them included in my Club account.

I too am one of those people happy with Diamond. I did own a Hyatt Timeshare but sold it recently. They have the same issues with increases in Maintenance Fees so I don't believe this is unique to Diamond. I have had some wonderful experiences in Kauai, Maui, Florida, Arizona , Virginia and Colorado.

Yes, the Water Intrusion issue is a real problem but as an owner, I would rather have it fixed than let it to continue to deteriorate the resort.

Dan B.
Aug 21, 2012

You can always try to use Berkshire concepts to get rid of your timeshare if you are unhappy with it

D M.
Aug 22, 2012

I am really baffled by the majority responses to the assessment. If you owned a condo and it was hit by a storm, who do you think pays for the repair? Would that be the Condo Management company? I don't think so! The owners of The Point at Poipu (and that would be us) have damage to the Resort and we need it fixed. No one likes to put out money but the alternative is let the issue continue and completely ruin the Resort. Yes, the developer needs to pay their share for units that they still own but I believe they are doing that. A law suit is probably just going to drive maintenance fees even higher as someone has to pay the attorney to defend it.

Dan B.
Aug 22, 2012

check out Berkshire with the BBB they have and " F " rating. Also they are banned from tug. They are a scam company taking peoples money with false promises. Save your hard earned money and avoid them. DM249 is a shill for the company.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Aug 22, 2012 07:36 AM

Sep 06, 2012

donp196 wrote:
check out Berkshire with the BBB they have and " F " rating. Also they are banned from tug. They are a scam company taking peoples money with false promises. Save your hard earned money and avoid them. DM249 is a shill for the company.

I really don't understand why you make such an obviously incorrect assertion about DRI. Their resorts are certainly included in TUG for sale, trade and rent. Their Resorts are rated on a regular basis. In what way are the banned from TUG. I have been an owner for ten years and they have never promised me anything they did not do. Your statements are made without any evidence, offensive and just not true.

There are happy owners of Diamond Resorts. Rather than offend those who are satisfied by making slanderous statements, why not post facts about how you were scammed by the company. No, I don't work for them. I am a retiree who enjoys visiting some of the nicest resorts in the world.

Dan B.
Sep 07, 2012

Read the post again. Berkshire is banned on tug. Time for a visit to the eye doctor.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Sep 07, 2012 08:03 AM

Sep 08, 2012

Will make my appointment today! I apologize for not reading more closely.

Dan B.
Sep 18, 2012

I find it funny in reading these posts that no one has a clue on how to really get rid of timeshares or even understand what they own. The comment on Berkshire Concepts has no relation to this and everybody knows the BBB is the biggest scam out there.....considering they have class action law suits in almost every state...BBB was created by Al Capone folks.. TUG is the most moderated forum out there so they are full of bs too. Diamond resorts (steven Kloobeck) is the biggest player in the resort industry....go visit him on the 19th floor of the polo towers where his office is if your key works in the elevator to get you there.... FYI Berkshire Concepts actually got rid of my time share for me with no glitches. FACT THE MAJORITY OF TS OWNERS ARE IN DEFAULT OR UNHAPPY (LIKE I WAS) So the only way resorts can stay a float is to raise fee"s since they dont have amenities or other ways of generating income.... No disrespect but go to an ARDA meeting in the spring and get educated folks if you want to know whats really going on ...Points what are points? they are air, its a way for the developer to go back to the well to their current owners base...deeded pts yeah ok show me unit # and week please .....not possible. The reason timeshares cost so much in the early years is because of marketing costs to the people there...a prospective buyer costs $600+ 1 out 0f 10 buy do the math, learn the system get educated.........

Mr T.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.