Point Systems

Diamond Resorts International (DRI) "THE CLUB" Points Program & Converting your Week to Points

Oct 13, 2014

denisew297 wrote:
I wanted to let everyone know about my experience with my 76 year old mother last evening. She is a deeded owner in The Villas at Pollo Tower. She bought the time share in 2001 for $25K and pays $1,300 a year in maintenance. She was told by Diamond Resorts this was a owner complaint session, and they knew things had gone wrong and wanted to fix it. She has never been able to use the time share ($39K latter), even though she was told she could "float" her week when she bough it. She asked me to come along to listen. By the time I left I was dumbfounded, enraged, and ready to call the state's attorney, BBB, and the local news. This is what happened: We explained she had never been able to use it. The Salesman seemed shocked. He said he would "check into it" while we ate. After dinner, he came back with an upset face (my mother told him he didn't look happy). He said "it's the worse scenario" and proceeded to explain how the "developer" had put the deeded shares in a trust, how a new law required that people who don't pay thier timeshare fees get 150% penalty on the balance charged every year, and did the math showing in 6 years she could owe $100,000+ (She has been paying her maintenance fees). He then explained when she died, the deeded timeshare would attach to her estate and would FORCE IT INTO PROBATE along with her personal residence! He told her since she hadn't showed up to a dinner in June Diamond had pulled their offer off the table to help her get out of this dilemma and anything he did that night would be at the grace of the company deciding whether to help her. He had her write a statement saying she was sick in June and didn't know she would be offered a way out so she hadn't purposefully declined any offer in June. He asked about Trust, and Irrevocabble Trust... He said there might be a way to isolate her personal house so this wouldn't happen. But his solution was to convert the deeded timeshare into.... You got it.... the points system. At this point I started asking questions. Was he an attorney? (He was offering legal advice). What would happen if she just sold her personal house to her children . . . that is the only assett in her estate other than the timeshare. He actually told me SHE COULDNT SELL HER HOUSE WHILE SHE STILL HAD THE TIMESHARE>>>> IT WOULD ATTACH ITSELF. I corrected him and let him know he obviously did not know the Oklahoma laws. He then wanted to help her fix it, if he could talk the company into it, of course. The first proposal was $10,000 down that day, and $500 for 10 years, then $8k down at $400, ect, ect. It got down to, "hey, I'm going to pay $1300 maintenance fees a year, show me a way to do it for no additional money, and I'll look at it" He came back with $124 a month for 10 years and $3400 down that day. Oh but the maintenance fee for next year was $2,800 which she could not use her new points for. At this point (10 pm - it started a 6:30) I told her not to do anything (of course this was a one time offer to 'fix' the problem and she had to act that night) and call me when she left. She called at 11 saying they had just given her back her credit card and drivers license! THIS COMPANY IS PURE EVIL! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. IF YOU THINK YOU"VE BEEN SCAMMED, CONTACT PROFESSIONAL HELP! I am spending the day today reaching out to my contacts in the State Government, OK Securities Commission, and my Attorney friends to see what was true, how her estate may be vulnerable, and reporting this company to everyone I can. They are SHAMELESS!

I believe that Diamond Resorts International is an ongoing Criminal Enterprise, of course that is only my opinion, but your case as described is an example of a crime "FRAUD", and giving false legal advise to promote that fraud. I am amazed that they are still getting away with this type of business practice or crime, however you want to refer it... Outright Consumer Fraud is how I see it..

Michael D.
Oct 13, 2014

In addition, they cannot attach her other property with any lien unless they first file suit and win a judgement... So have he sell her home to her children with a 'life estate' for her, and do that immediately... I also do not trust the legal system to protect anyone from syster's and fraud

Michael D.
Oct 13, 2014

I am a happy owner with DRI. However, if what I read here is true, then I believe they should be called out on the carpet. This is in fact criminal. It almost feels as if they were trying to take advantage of a senior citizen. DRI is responsible for the actions of their employees. I believe that there should be an investigation into this matter and people held accountable.

denisew297 wrote:
I wanted to let everyone know about my experience with my 76 year old mother last evening. She is a deeded owner in The Villas at Pollo Tower. She bought the time share in 2001 for $25K and pays $1,300 a year in maintenance. She was told by Diamond Resorts this was a owner complaint session, and they knew things had gone wrong and wanted to fix it. She has never been able to use the time share ($39K latter), even though she was told she could "float" her week when she bough it. She asked me to come along to listen. By the time I left I was dumbfounded, enraged, and ready to call the state's attorney, BBB, and the local news. This is what happened: We explained she had never been able to use it. The Salesman seemed shocked. He said he would "check into it" while we ate. After dinner, he came back with an upset face (my mother told him he didn't look happy). He said "it's the worse scenario" and proceeded to explain how the "developer" had put the deeded shares in a trust, how a new law required that people who don't pay thier timeshare fees get 150% penalty on the balance charged every year, and did the math showing in 6 years she could owe $100,000+ (She has been paying her maintenance fees). He then explained when she died, the deeded timeshare would attach to her estate and would FORCE IT INTO PROBATE along with her personal residence! He told her since she hadn't showed up to a dinner in June Diamond had pulled their offer off the table to help her get out of this dilemma and anything he did that night would be at the grace of the company deciding whether to help her. He had her write a statement saying she was sick in June and didn't know she would be offered a way out so she hadn't purposefully declined any offer in June. He asked about Trust, and Irrevocabble Trust... He said there might be a way to isolate her personal house so this wouldn't happen. But his solution was to convert the deeded timeshare into.... You got it.... the points system. At this point I started asking questions. Was he an attorney? (He was offering legal advice). What would happen if she just sold her personal house to her children . . . that is the only assett in her estate other than the timeshare. He actually told me SHE COULDNT SELL HER HOUSE WHILE SHE STILL HAD THE TIMESHARE>>>> IT WOULD ATTACH ITSELF. I corrected him and let him know he obviously did not know the Oklahoma laws. He then wanted to help her fix it, if he could talk the company into it, of course. The first proposal was $10,000 down that day, and $500 for 10 years, then $8k down at $400, ect, ect. It got down to, "hey, I'm going to pay $1300 maintenance fees a year, show me a way to do it for no additional money, and I'll look at it" He came back with $124 a month for 10 years and $3400 down that day. Oh but the maintenance fee for next year was $2,800 which she could not use her new points for. At this point (10 pm - it started a 6:30) I told her not to do anything (of course this was a one time offer to 'fix' the problem and she had to act that night) and call me when she left. She called at 11 saying they had just given her back her credit card and drivers license! THIS COMPANY IS PURE EVIL! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. IF YOU THINK YOU"VE BEEN SCAMMED, CONTACT PROFESSIONAL HELP! I am spending the day today reaching out to my contacts in the State Government, OK Securities Commission, and my Attorney friends to see what was true, how her estate may be vulnerable, and reporting this company to everyone I can. They are SHAMELESS!

Charles S.
Oct 14, 2014

I've checked this out with various legal references online: if a deceased has a timeshare property in his/her estate and the heirs do not want it, they cannot be forced to take it. They just make an affidavit stating they do not want it and probate can be closed, with the timeshare being considered abandoned property.

DRI executives and their sales staff all deserve to rot in prison. "ongoing criminal enterprise" --- you betcha!!!

David K.
Oct 15, 2014

The scammers that claim they will get you out of your timeshare for a large upfront fee claim the same lie. They claim that your heirs will get stuck with your timeshare and it's not true. The timeshare industry is fraught with so many lies and deceitful claims that it has a huge black eye. To their shame they fall back on the theory that only what is in writing is binding. They push their paper work in front of you to sign and nobody reads it before they commit themselves to a lifetime of ever increasing maintenance fees assessments.

Nobody can force an heir to take a responsibility that they don't agree to do. By the time an HOA could foreclose on a timeshare and serve a judgment on an estate probate would be long over and the estate would be settled.

If a developer has to revert to dishonest practices to push his product then there is something seriously wrong with what he is selling. If the product is worth the price and is what they represent they should have no trouble selling it to the public. consider the these facts before signing on the dotted line.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Oct 15, 2014 10:48 AM

Feb 04, 2015

I just got 6,500 more point and it brings up to 23,500. I'm to be considered Gold status for 10 years. How do you feel now in 2015 about your maintenance fees? My maintenance fees is over $4,000.

Oscar G.

Last edited by oscarg41 on Feb 04, 2015 06:24 PM

Feb 05, 2015

My maintenance fees went up significantly again in 2015 and I am not happy. For the amount I pay, I think I could do better on my own without the timeshare ownership. I would never buy more points, no matter how good the salesmen make it sound.

Robert R.
Mar 18, 2015

How much did your points go up?

Ben G.

Last edited by beng91 on Mar 18, 2015 03:43 PM

Mar 18, 2015

How much have my maintenance fees gone up? Here is the history of maintenance fee increases by DRI: 2011 $787.65 2012 $896.20 +13% 2013 $1111.20 +24% 2014 $1162.58 +4.6% 2015 $1241.58 +6.8%

Robert R.

Last edited by robertr558 on Apr 06, 2015 02:43 PM

Apr 05, 2015

We had the same experience at the exact same resort. I was first told there was nothing available with several months notice. I was then called back and everything was setup. First week was in an efficiency and the second week in a one bedroom. As stated, you couldn't even buy decent internet access and it was nowhere near the quality of any other 5 star resort I have stayed at. I was only out $1800.00 though.

Bill T.
Apr 21, 2015

Wow, I would like to walk away too. Who did you contact?

Jamie K.
Apr 21, 2015

Okay users group, need your help. I have a one-bedroom every other year at DRI Maui Kaanapali Beach Club. I have to pay $1300 a year but I can only use it every other year. I thinking about getting rid of it and will probably have to surrender it since my income will drop; I'm retiring and I have children in college.

I need advice. Should I keep it? It initially cost me about $17,000 for it. Seems crazy to pay $2,600 essentially to use it once every other year.

Thoughts and suggestions. It's too expensive to rent out since you can rent it for less than half what I pay.

Jamie K.
Apr 21, 2015

I should clarify. How was anyone able to pay DRI $250 and surrender their timeshare to them?

Jamie K.

Last edited by jamiek85 on Apr 21, 2015 04:27 PM

Nov 29, 2015

We have been satisfied with all of our stays at Diamond Resorts. Although some of the presentations have been a bit pushy, they have changed their presentations recently and it was pleasant. We have owned points for over ten years and travelled all over the U.S., overseas, and one cruise. It is not a bad deal if you use your points wisely and don't think you are getting something for nothing. Most of our resorts are 3 bedroom accommodations with 2-3 bathrooms and a full kitchen. It really is travelling at its best, especially when our children were young.

Kelly L.

Last edited by phyl21 on Nov 29, 2015 04:24 PM

Nov 29, 2015

You are welcome to pay to list your points with Redweek or other sale sites. You can't advertise in these forums. Unfortunately the resale market for DRI points is almost zilch. DRI strips most retail perks and resale owners are not eligible to join The Club or exchange into anything outside the trust collection they are in. High maintenance fees with DRI is the other thing that kills the value of the ownership. I think the going resale is about 5-10 cents a point if you are very lucky. Most DRI owners with paid off points end up paying DRI a small fee to take back the points. Sad isn't it?

Tracey S.
Dec 06, 2015

WOW, Its so crazy to read how much people pay for an accommodation! Its so overpriced business!!! How would anyone pay for a week accommodation in every other year 2600,00 as maintenance fees + the huge money they paid upfront?? Same with RHC, nothing but a big fraud!! Id call this kind of robbing systems all the way criminal business! And also liked to get to know the real owners and 'the head' of such companies also as DRI. Im a victim of RHC myself and got to understand how criminal some of those clubs and their business really are. I bet DRI is similar to RHC somehow. If people are interested to read my story, its under 'Royal Holiday is a scam' -topic. But still RHC represents to me the worst club ever, the biggest scam ever. The biggest fraud ever with its 'affiliates' (which I see as the real head of RHC), such as Interval, Wyndham, FNTC... RHC doenst even exist in Caribbean (where those memberships are sold, mainly to American citizens), only non existing companies in tax havens 'for real' and those hotels plus trustee business and payment collectors! Id only call ponzi or so this kind of business.

I hope those hotels which let any other club memberships being sold at their lobby will be charged for frauds like RHC in my case as well.. Sorry to spoil this conversation with different club, but hopefully people see similarities.

Sari P.

Last edited by sarip2 on Dec 06, 2015 04:45 AM

Dec 06, 2015

I read about this one old lady who even couldn't sell her house to her children because of the timeshare?! If I understood correctly.. Its so out of my head! Like a big joke or something. Cant believe what I'm reading. And those con artists can continue scamming people into these systems, like their selling methods were legal in any circumstances those salesmen do?

Sari P.
Feb 04, 2016

Don't do it run don't walk run from Diamond resorts they are nothing but a scam at a high cost you pay a high price for no availability and keep paying for it over and over and there deeded crap you can pass to your children is just bullshit by then your kids points won't be worth anything.

amyk231 wrote:
So was purchasing 10,000 DRI points to be used over two years at any of a dozen refurbished resorts for $1,500 and no mf's a good deal? I have very limited resort availibility, but there are one or two I'm considering going to. I will own nothing and be a member of nothing at the end of two years if I do not buy into DRI for $26,000 (10,000 points) as was the price quoted to me last week.

Suggestions? (Besides maintenance fee's, do members pay other fee's to belong to the "club" per year?)

I traded in using RCI and did NOT get a refurbished unit. Ugh. At Powhattan. I like the idea of no exchange fees, but not if mf's are so high!

Amanda K.
Feb 04, 2016

amandak109 wrote:
Don't do it run don't walk run from Diamond resorts they are nothing but a scam at a high cost you pay a high price for no availability and keep paying for it over and over...

Are you a Diamond owner and facing problems with them?

Lance C.
Feb 05, 2016

sarip2 wrote:
I read about this one old lady who even couldn't sell her house to her children because of the timeshare?! If I understood correctly.. Its so out of my head! Like a big joke or something. Cant believe what I'm reading. And those con artists can continue scamming people into these systems, like their selling methods were legal in any circumstances those salesmen do?

You are right, scammers.... Its like selling air, the points system is basically corrupt... They can sell an unlimited number of points, and actually no one knows how many points Diamond Resorts has already sold... It is so convoluted that even a forensic accountant would take years to unravel this fraudulent system... Once you buy in, you are almost an indentured debtor, they will threaten to ruin your credit, and refuse to release you even if you do not ever use your membership, they will demand payment of annual maintenance fee's ( that will increase far faster than inflation many time increases are 15-35%)...[IN MY OPINION ] Diamond Resorts is an ongoing criminal enterprise...

Michael D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.