Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts, fraudulent billing, inaccurate record keeping

Jan 19, 2014

Not that it helps you unless it is in the category of misery loves company our experience has been the same . Our MF doubled as well....Funny if they cannot provide the exchanges we want they prohibit us form using anyone else. Can you say monopoly? My comment is EXACTLY yours..owners who cares...they are all in it for the bucks...resort owners AND RCI.

linda671 wrote:
We too have had very bad dealings with DRI. First was the nearly 200 % increase in annual MF when they took over ---for what? Now the resort has disallowed my exchange through Red Week or any of the other exchange groups. Since RCI cannot seem to find me anything I want I felt it was time to go elsewhere. NOT! We long term RCI owners long for the days of the original owners. These new people are just in it for the money Owners? WHO CARES!

Linda W.
Jan 19, 2014

Does anyone here remember the TV show "Dragnet" from the 50s and 60s ?

Sgt Friday often went after criminals who committed a crime called "bunko". This is defined as "a swindle in which a person is cheated at gambling, persuaded to buy a nonexistent or worthless object, or otherwise victimized".

Cut to the Reagan-era and this is no longer a crime -- hence the rise of the Timeshare Industry and all of its evil spawn.

The cat is out of the bag and it doesn't look hopeful to put it back again.

Does "Free Enterprise" have to mean "free to rip you off"? Work on making change instead of whining!

David K.
Jan 20, 2014

Anyone who can suggest a way to make such changes should post same....and read what others have said about the unwillingness of Diamond , RCI and likely others as well to listen to their owners. WANTING to make the change and being able to accomplish are 2 different entities....

davidk689 wrote:

Sgt Friday often went after criminals who committed a crime called "bunko". This is defined as "a swindle in which a person is cheated at gambling, persuaded to buy a nonexistent or worthless object, or otherwise victimized".

Cut to the Reagan-era and this is no longer a crime -- hence the rise of the Timeshare Industry and all of its evil spawn.

Does "Free Enterprise" have to mean "free to rip you off"? Work on making change instead of whining!

Linda W.
Jan 20, 2014

linda671 wrote:
Anyone who can suggest a way to make such changes should post same....and read what others have said about the unwillingness of Diamond , RCI and likely others as well to listen to their owners. WANTING to make the change and being able to accomplish are 2 different entities....

davidk689 wrote:

Bunko - Fraud - stealing through misrepresentation - just plain old dishonesty... No matter what it is called, it is just a plain old criminal enterprise, selling air using something shinny to distract you from seeing past the shinny object which you never get... They are just plain old CRIMINALS, of course again this is only my opinion

Michael D.
Feb 27, 2014

First off, if you live in California, the CLUB is not legally allowed to do business in the State. Per the Secretary of State's Office, license forfeited. All other concerns/problems should be reported the the Attorney General's Office through the Public Inquiry Unit. There is an on-line form that can be filled out and sent electronically or mailed in. I assume there are similar consumer protection divisions in other states for reporting DRI's abuses. This is the only was to stimulate some interest from law-makers regarding regulating timeshare companies that operate the way Diamond Resorts International does.

Susan I.
Mar 06, 2014

davidk689 wrote:
I have not one good thing to say about DRI. What they do may be legal by virtue of cozy relationships with politicians, but they are truly an evil, predatory company.

That said, I fail to see how your could be "forced" to convert your deeded unit to points. I am a deeded owner, and yes they tried to pressure me into converting, but I just sat through their interminable bs session, kept telling them I was not interested, and took their "gift" at the end. Since I am retired and have plenty of time on my hands I enjoy wasting their time and taking their so-called gift. Just don't engage with their sales tricks and keep saying no, no, no. They can't make you do anything.

lindah943 wrote:
After owning a biannual at Los Abrigados since 2000, DRI forced us into a points position and increased maintenance fees from $393 for 2011 to $584 for 2014. DRI also failed to make clear that bi-annual usage was no longer available unless owners banked points for two years nor have they provided "rates" for various other properties supposedly available for exchange. Numerous phone calls have been ignored and I feel strongly that DRI's ethics are questionable and their management style certainly not conducive to good owner relations. I have owned timeshare properties for more than 20 years and this has been the MOST unsatisfactory experience ever.

We're in the same position - deeded week for every other year. DRI refuses to acknowledge the deed and put us into their point system against all protests from me. I will now take us 4 years worth of points to get into the last resort in Belize we easily traded our 1 deeded week for in 2009. The amount they assigned is inadequate to trade for almost anywhere and, of course, there's the skyrocketing fees. I was told by a woman in the "Hospitality" division (what a joke) that all we are entitled to is enough points for 1 week in Sedona at their now outdated, run-down, mold in the bathrooms resorts, which are in reality nothing but 3 star, max, hotels. I can be denied the week I pick and turn around and book the same accomodations on Hotels.com for LESS MONEY THAN I PAY IN FEES. I'm walking away, in spite of the threats of ruined credit and collection agencies.

Susan I.
Mar 08, 2014

what a load of BALONEY, you lot make me laugh. you are all here, chit chatting and NO ONE is taking any notice. there is an old saying'' put your money where your mouth is''

if there is anybody out there who wants to join me and take LEGAL action by employing the services of an attorney feel free to contact me. as i also have been conned into buying a timeshare many years ago[before the recession hit] by empty promises which at the time sounded great. ie. i was told that my family would be able to go anywhere on this planet by EXCHANGING my weeks! i have been waiting 9 months , i have paid Interval 3 weeks fees, and now , NOTHING

Alan S.
Mar 08, 2014

alans273 wrote:
what a load of BALONEY, you lot make me laugh. you are all here, chit chatting and NO ONE is taking any notice. there is an old saying'' put your money where your mouth is''

if there is anybody out there who wants to join me and take LEGAL action by employing the services of an attorney feel free to contact me. as i also have been conned into buying a timeshare many years ago[before the recession hit] by empty promises which at the time sounded great. ie. i was told that my family would be able to go anywhere on this planet by EXCHANGING my weeks! i have been waiting 9 months , i have paid Interval 3 weeks fees, and now , NOTHING

Why are you SO SARCASTIC, and just how much money do you think it will take to get DRI into court... 100K will be cheap

Michael D.
Mar 08, 2014

DRI has plenty of attorneys on staff, full time, to jump into action the minute any other attorney tries to take them down a peg. That is the reason "Donate for a Cause" will not accept DRI properties. You're right - 100k would be cheap and it would take years. Government regulation is the only way things will change.

Susan I.

Last edited by susani67 on Mar 08, 2014 06:24 PM

Mar 09, 2014

The Manhattan Club law suite is currently processing and awaiting for the Class Action status. The attorney's information is available under the court's public records: http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscroll/SQLData.jsp?IndexNo=652662-2013

Fibo N.
Mar 09, 2014

susani67 wrote:
DRI has plenty of attorneys on staff, full time, to jump into action the minute any other attorney tries to take them down a peg. That is the reason "Donate for a Cause" will not accept DRI properties. You're right - 100k would be cheap and it would take years. Government regulation is the only way things will change.

Interesting to me since DFC told me they would take my week at Powhatan Plantation (now DRI) Maybe they don't know it is a Diamond resort? I would love to see changes that stop these predators form charging for things promised that we don't receive.

Linda W.
Mar 09, 2014

Why is it that some people are able to exchange, rent, and find availability to use DRI and others cannot do anything?

There are several people who are able to do this and do it well. There are people in all of the DRI collections that are able to find value in their timeshare. They don't like the increased maintenance fees, but who does in whatever timeshare system they are in. I would invite you to join us on our Diamond Resorts Members Facebook page.

We are all DRI owners. There are over 1000 of us. We understand that DRI is not perfect. We challenge DRI on issues and have been able to get responses and changes. Most importantly, our goal is to help other owners in the DRI system to get the most out of their ownership. If you are looking to get the most out of your membership, then join us. If you are only coming to find another place to only ***** and moan, then stay here.

Charles S.
Mar 10, 2014

linda671 wrote:
susani67 wrote:

Interesting to me since DFC told me they would take my week at Powhatan Plantation (now DRI) Maybe they don't know it is a Diamond resort? I would love to see changes that stop these predators form charging for things promised that we don't receive.

They called & offered to take mine last week too if I paid them around $2500.00 plus no tax write-off. Said it was a short time offer for a few people. Be careful...

Susan I.
Mar 10, 2014

I am not Facebook user and have been consistently ignored when I tried to reach Diamond for help. The ONLY answer I ever got was that they could not help me. ANY group worth what they tout SHOULD be more accountable. How do we get our issues heard?

Linda W.
Mar 10, 2014

charless345 wrote:
Why is it that some people are able to exchange, rent, and find availability to use DRI and others cannot do anything?

There are several people who are able to do this and do it well. There are people in all of the DRI collections that are able to find value in their timeshare. They don't like the increased maintenance fees, but who does in whatever timeshare system they are in. I would invite you to join us on our Diamond Resorts Members Facebook page.

We are all DRI owners. There are over 1000 of us. We understand that DRI is not perfect. We challenge DRI on issues and have been able to get responses and changes. Most importantly, our goal is to help other owners in the DRI system to get the most out of their ownership. If you are looking to get the most out of your membership, then join us. If you are only coming to find another place to only ***** and moan, then stay here.

Because those who administer DRI's own facebook page, on behalf of the company, don't want to hear it?

Susan I.
Mar 10, 2014

Believe me Susan, there are plenty of owners on the site that have issues with DRI. There are some who have begun initiating a lawsuit against DRI. It's not a DRI site but an owners' site. The ones who really pay the bills. You and me. However, we still try to get our vacations worth out of it and we do. One of the great things we try to do is separate fact from fiction. That is not always easy but we are able to often sift to the truth. That is at the core of what we all want.

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on Mar 11, 2014 11:50 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.