Jan 31, 2013

What was your experience with Paul Goldman? Is he to be trusted? Did you receive your payment? I was just emailed by him too, wanting to rent my timeshare to a "client". I'm not sure I want to deal with a third party.

Diana V.
Feb 01, 2013

d529 wrote:
What was your experience with Paul Goldman? Is he to be trusted? Did you receive your payment? I was just emailed by him too, wanting to rent my timeshare to a "client". I'm not sure I want to deal with a third party.

You're wise not to deal with a third party .... it's more than likely a scam.

R P.
Feb 01, 2013

Usually a third party will upsell plus I know my resort I can only request the rental, and have the resort put on the names of the renters. I would ask him who it would be for and get a contact number for the party so that you can confirm who is renting. This way you will know if he is going to upsell it for a profit.

Why should someone else make a profit off of your rental. I know it gives you your rent, but redweek is not there to supply third parties. Redweek has a good name and is known to be good to deal with. If we let third parties rent out from us, we do not know there business ethics. I know this sounds little, andyou may think, why not if your getting your money for your unit. It is the principle of it all.

I have had a couple of differant people in the past contact me for the same reason, they want it for less than what you are listing it for. They want you to sign a contract wtih them that gives them the right to rent it out. They have there own rental contract.So, you do not have the renters name, and yes your dealing with a third party. I know I was not comfortable with what I read on their forms they sent me to look over, they were very pusy about moving quickly ahead with it. They have not contacted me again, I let them know I was not interested.

Each resort has it rules on renting, I would check them too. My resort has my name on the confirmation saying that the renter is a guest of mine(renter) so a third party is not going to want your name on it if they are renting it out and making a profit. Having you name on it the resort knows your the owner and have given the permission for it to be rented, otherwise the resort may not let the third parties renters use the unit.

Good luck

Carol S.

Last edited by carols725 on Feb 01, 2013 10:29 AM

Feb 02, 2013

Of course a 3rd party is going to upsell for a profit .... if not, why are they in business? I believe many 3rd parties peruse Redweek on a daily basis trying to make money off of Redweek's client's rentals .... I would be leary.

R P.
Feb 03, 2013

Platinum Resort Services is a SCAM organization. We got sucked into a deal for them to purchase our timeshare and guarantee rental income for another timeshare. They have a MN address that is a FALSE address - while visiting family, we went to the address location. Platinum admitted it was a false address and refused to give us their actual address. When we contacted the MN Dept of Commerce they said they were NOT licensed in MN. We were promised payment for our resort NLT 30 November 2012 and haven't seen a penny. BEWARE!!!

Lynn H.
Feb 05, 2013

You should also start a new form on this company so that others can see it. It is unfortunate you got scamed.

Alot of the timeshare resorts are also trying to sell timeshares with the attraction that they will rent out your week. Alot of that also.

We ended up with four weeks in exchange the Resort we were dealing with in Cabo would give us a stupid amount per week by buying four weeks, in trade credit for our other timeshare. We did get credit, but no rental promise came through. And to boot they could not take the timeshare due to not having the right paper work ( Of course after the grace period we find out, so still have it. scam I would say. So, we use redweek and have done okay, manage to rent one or two weeks usually. It pays the maintence fees.

Carol S.
Feb 05, 2013

You could've done a lot worse. If you're going to list online they are the best. Just be sure to price your rental correctly.

Patrick M.
Feb 08, 2013

How did your deal work out with Platinum Resort Services?

June T.
Feb 08, 2013

Will you contact me at needacrossover@gmail.com? I want to hear about your experience! June

June T.
Feb 08, 2013

Please contact me at needacrossover@gmail.com. I want to hear about your experience with Platinum.

June T.

Last edited by junet29 on Feb 08, 2013 12:14 PM

Feb 09, 2013

Did you not read the post above? What more proof do you need?

"Platinum Resort Services is a SCAM organization. We got sucked into a deal for them to purchase our timeshare and guarantee rental income for another timeshare. They have a MN address that is a FALSE address - while visiting family, we went to the address location. Platinum admitted it was a false address and refused to give us their actual address. When we contacted the MN Dept of Commerce they said they were NOT licensed in MN. We were promised payment for our resort NLT 30 November 2012 and haven't seen a penny. BEWARE!!!"

R P.
Feb 14, 2013

Isn't Redweek a third party, sort of? Our sales person at a timeshare presentation used redweek as an incentive for us to buy a lock off unit. His suggestion was to choose a desireable resort and high demand week and exchange our unit for that. Once we get our certificate, he said we can list the week for rent through Redweek. He saidmthey will findmus a renter and showed us his emails from Redweek, regarding his units. once they have a renter, he submits their name to II for a guest certificate. But one letter here says that is illegal to do through Interval International. If that is true, we were misled and he is advising illegal activity in his presentation. Does anyone know the facts about this and where I can find them? We still have 9 days to cancel our purchase.

carols725 wrote:
Usually a third party will upsell plus I know my resort I can only request the rental, and have the resort put on the names of the renters. I would ask him who it would be for and get a contact number for the party so that you can confirm who is renting. This way you will know if he is going to upsell it for a profit.

Why should someone else make a profit off of your rental. I know it gives you your rent, but redweek is not there to supply third parties. Redweek has a good name and is known to be good to deal with. If we let third parties rent out from us, we do not know there business ethics. I know this sounds little, andyou may think, why not if your getting your money for your unit. It is the principle of it all.

I have had a couple of differant people in the past contact me for the same reason, they want it for less than what you are listing it for. They want you to sign a contract wtih them that gives them the right to rent it out. They have there own rental contract.So, you do not have the renters name, and yes your dealing with a third party. I know I was not comfortable with what I read on their forms they sent me to look over, they were very pusy about moving quickly ahead with it. They have not contacted me again, I let them know I was not interested.

Each resort has it rules on renting, I would check them too. My resort has my name on the confirmation saying that the renter is a guest of mine(renter) so a third party is not going to want your name on it if they are renting it out and making a profit. Having you name on it the resort knows your the owner and have given the permission for it to be rented, otherwise the resort may not let the third parties renters use the unit.

Good luck

Wendy O.
Feb 14, 2013

You've been lied to by the salesperson. The first rule is that when a timeshare salesperson's lips are moving he or she is lying. They will tell you anything to get you to sign on the dotted line. Your choice but if it was me I would cancel. You can rent a unit from someone else without obligating yourself to a lifetime of every increasing maintenance fees. Once you pass the recission period you have committed yourself to a lifetime contract.

It's against the rules to use a guest certificate if you are renting. They can cancel your exchanges for breaking the rules and you are still stuck paying maintenance fees and excahnge fees. Based on the lies and the suggestion of using deceptive practices I would cancel immediately.

If you decide to cancel make sure you follow the directions to the letter and make sure you send it receipt return and keep copies of everything. I would also advise you to notify your credit card company if you charged anything. Don't wait until they time has lapsed to dispute the charge.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Feb 14, 2013 02:42 PM

Feb 15, 2013

wendyo53 wrote:
Isn't Redweek a third party, sort of? Our sales person at a timeshare presentation used redweek as an incentive for us to buy a lock off unit. His suggestion was to choose a desireable resort and high demand week and exchange our unit for that. Once we get our certificate, he said we can list the week for rent through Redweek. He saidmthey will findmus a renter and showed us his emails from Redweek, regarding his units. once they have a renter, he submits their name to II for a guest certificate. But one letter here says that is illegal to do through Interval International. If that is true, we were misled and he is advising illegal activity in his presentation. Does anyone know the facts about this and where I can find them? We still have 9 days to cancel our purchase.

carols725 wrote:

Good luck

No, Redweek is not a third party .... it is merely an ad site for Buying, Selling or Renting your timeshare or your points .... nothing more nothing less .... much like your local newspaper's classifieds.

R P.
Feb 15, 2013

wendyo53 wrote:
He saidmthey will findmus a renter and showed us his emails from Redweek, regarding his units. once they have a renter, he submits their name to II for a guest certificate. But one letter here says that is illegal to do through Interval International. If that is true, we were misled and he is advising illegal activity in his presentation. Does anyone know the facts about this and where I can find them? We still have 9 days to cancel our purchase.

Redweek does not find renters for owners. All Redweek does is permit owners to place timeshare rental and sell ads on their website .... nothing more, nothing less. If you own a week you can rent it to anyone you choose using a II guest certificate, however you cannot rent an exchange from either (RCI or II), nor can you sell a deposited week. Good luck

R P.
Feb 15, 2013

wendyo53 wrote:
Does anyone know the facts about this and where I can find them? We still have 9 days to cancel our purchase.

I assume you bought from a developer timeshare salesperson via a presentation. I don't know where you bought but in 99% of cases you can buy what you want on the resale market for pennies on the dollar of what a devloper bought timeshare costs.

First, if it were me, I would rescind until you can thoroughly research timeshare resales .... if after you've done your research then you can always go back to the developer and buy from them if you don't find what you're looking for on the resale market.

R P.
Feb 15, 2013

In regards to using a gift certificate, you still pay your exchange fee which varies, with RCI it is $200 for the week, plus $75 for the gift certificate. The certificate is in your name with your guests on it. Then to book the place your guests have to book through RCI. I would assume that 11 is the same. or exchange company you have it in, Owners are not suppose to be using the gift certificate system for purposes of renting it out. . When you add up the cost plus what you pay for maintence, why would one risk breaking the rules. You also would lose the use of the exchange system if caught.

I would be contacting RCI and 11 and telling them about What your salespeople are saying. The more info with names, etc the better., and definitly recinding on the deal.

The gift certificate is designed for when you can not use your time and do not want to pay to extend the use to carry it over into the next years use. Or not lose your points or week of use for that year, in the exchange system.. So you give it to friends or family to use. The certificate is just transfering the right to use at an exchange of choice by your guest through RCI. or 11.

If the time is still with your resort and has not been put into the exchange system like RCI then it needs to be put in if used other than your own resort. Depends on resort system. Your own resort would not require a gift certificate, just you booking in your guests.

I use redweek which is one of the better sites to list and rent your week out. If you price your week well, you have a fairly good chance of renting it out. Location does come into play, so consider that when you buy. READ UP, ( there are forums on Redweek) on buying on the second hand market which is a good way, but depends on how the usage transfers. And how you want to use it. Exchange or rent out or just go back every year. Also . forums on buying from the Resorts. The Resources tab is also a big source of info.

. I hope this has been helpful.

Carol S.

Last edited by carols725 on Feb 15, 2013 10:41 AM

Feb 16, 2013

carols725 wrote:
The certificate is in your name with your guests on it. Then to book the place your guests have to book through RCI.

I haven't done an exchange in many years (since I no longer own any timeshares) nor had I used a guest certificate, but I believe the owner has to book the week, then buy the guest certificate naming the guests .... I believe the only person that can book the week is the owner .... please correct me if I'm wrong.

R P.
Feb 16, 2013

The only legitimate compensation allowed to the owner from a guest is the exchange fee and guest certificate fee (which you say the exchange fee is $200 and the guest certificate $75), so the guest can legitimately reimburse these fees to the owner.

R P.
Feb 16, 2013

Just talked to RCI to verify since it has been a long time. So, if you have points or weeks that you as a owner want to give to someone you call RCI. RCI gives you the choice to pay the costs or your guest can pay the costs. When you set up the gift certificate with RCI it will be on file. You can book them into a resort as your guest. Your name will be on the gift certificate as well as your guest name. Or you can give your guests the gift certificate that still has your name on it and theirs with the points or week and the guest can phone RCI to book it, but they will need to know your account number, your address etc to book it. It is $227 plus a $54 (canadian) cost to you or or guest. Depends how you want to do it.

The guest would be limited to what you gave for points or week value. They would also have to use it before your use year with RCI. . They did not mention it, when the owner books it, if the guest had to have all the owner info. I would assume that the guest would need your information either way to check in. I know that my week I rent from my home resort has my contract number on the confirmation from my resort. Otherwise the system could get very abused.

There would not be any reason to why your guest can not reimburse you, your not making any money on it. The problem lies if someone is trying to add a rental fee on top and is not suppose to be renting it anyways.

Thanks for the feedback

Carol S.

Last edited by carols725 on Feb 16, 2013 10:48 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.