Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Is there a reputable holiday property management company that won't scam us?

May 23, 2011

I agree with you, Ken. I have never let my money leave my wallet before I know damn sure who is going to receive "my hard-earned dollars" - great way to put it.

Marcos T.
May 23, 2011

Thank-you to all who shared their comments and opinions.

Taylor J.
May 24, 2011

I have heard of ICMG on a thread in tugbbs..you should avoid them! definite scammers

Ryan M.
May 25, 2011

There are agencies who deal with reputable property managers in different states. Im not sure of the agency but a google search should find it.

Here A.
May 26, 2011

How has these scamming businesses stayed in business so long?

Kerri K.
May 26, 2011

Haha I don't think you can do business in the timeshare industry and not get scammed.

Marc J.
May 26, 2011

Someone also mentioned something about how the escrow companies are reliant on scamming rental companies, but there is just as much as a reliance of our lack-of-research to be done on these companies.

Marc J.
May 27, 2011

marcj26 wrote:
....the escrow companies are reliant on scamming rental companies, but there is just as much as a reliance of our lack-of-research to be done on these companies.
There are NO business entities, legitimate or otherwise, which are solely "escrow companies", per se. "Escrow" is merely the holding of transaction funds by an objective, third party entity which is not otherwise directly involved in the transaction at all.

By the way, in regard to your prior post (and contrary to your statement there), it's relatively easy to NEVER get scammed in the timeshare industry. It simply involves using common sense and using your head for something besides wearing a hat. If you NEVER buy from a developer and you NEVER pay an "upfront fee" to ANYONE in the timeshare industry for ANY reason, you can't get scammed. Period, amen.

But getting back to your last post, if by your using the term "escrow companies", you actually mean CLOSING companies or TITLE companies (such as First American Title, JRA Services, Timeshare Transfer, etc., which may ALSO include "escrow of funds" as a part of their services), these companies are all completely honest, well established and legitimate businesses whose "escrow" function is just ONE small part of handling closings (i.e., the legal details ownership transfers). In some instances, these closing or title entities may also serve as "middleman" between an owner and a renter for rental funds (i.e., escrow) --- specifically to PREVENT any impropriety or attempted scamming by EITHER the owner or the renter in a rental transaction.

Legitimate closing companies and title companies have absolutely NO relationship with (...nor ANY reliance whatsoever upon) those with "scamming intent", so I'm frankly quite puzzled by the meaning and / or the intended point of your post on the topic.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 27, 2011 03:58 AM

May 28, 2011

Ken - That was a very factual retort with plenty of relevant info.

Thanks for posting the info.

Lenora M.
May 28, 2011

ken1193 wrote:
marcj26 wrote:
....the escrow companies are reliant on scamming rental companies, but there is just as much as a reliance of our lack-of-research to be done on these companies.
There are NO business entities, legitimate or otherwise, which are solely "escrow companies", per se. "Escrow" is merely the holding of transaction funds by an objective, third party entity which is not otherwise directly involved in the transaction at all.

By the way, in regard to your prior post (and contrary to your statement there), it's relatively easy to NEVER get scammed in the timeshare industry. It simply involves using common sense and using your head for something besides wearing a hat. If you NEVER buy from a developer and you NEVER pay an "upfront fee" to ANYONE in the timeshare industry for ANY reason, you can't get scammed. Period, amen.

But getting back to your last post, if by your using the term "escrow companies", you actually mean CLOSING companies or TITLE companies (such as First American Title, JRA Services, Timeshare Transfer, etc., which may ALSO include "escrow of funds" as a part of their services), these companies are all completely honest, well established and legitimate businesses whose "escrow" function is just ONE small part of handling closings (i.e., the legal details ownership transfers). In some instances, these closing or title entities may also serve as "middleman" between an owner and a renter for rental funds (i.e., escrow) --- specifically to PREVENT any impropriety or attempted scamming by EITHER the owner or the renter in a rental transaction.

Legitimate closing companies and title companies have absolutely NO relationship with (...nor ANY reliance whatsoever upon) those with "scamming intent", so I'm frankly quite puzzled by the meaning and / or the intended point of your post on the topic.

Lenora M.
May 30, 2011

I don't quite understand how a reliance on escrow companies which are just shadow entities will defraud someone.

Airebone I.
May 30, 2011

herea wrote:
There are agencies who deal with reputable property managers in different states. Im not sure of the agency but a google search should find it.

How true.. do your research on these companies.

Airebone I.
Jun 01, 2011

airebonei wrote:
herea wrote:

How true.. do your research on these companies.

If they prey on uniformed people, then become more informed!

Mike T.
Jun 01, 2011

I have yet to be scammed by another claiming to be something they aren't.. All it takes is some simple research. Start with Google and go from there.

Mike T.
Jun 02, 2011

miket298 wrote:
I have yet to be scammed by another claiming to be something they aren't.. All it takes is some simple research. Start with Google and go from there.
How you you be sure they're ligitimate just from a google search??

Terry B.
Jun 03, 2011

terryb249 wrote:
How you you be sure they're ligitimate just from a google search??

Exactly, some people believe everything they read on the internet .... anybody can build a webpage filled with lies.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jun 03, 2011 07:53 AM

Jun 06, 2011

If anyone can just 'create a website full of lies', then what exactly do you expect us to do?

James C.
Jun 07, 2011

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question. I've been scammed before finding Red Week and hope I'm wiser. I have a week at Waterside by Spinnaker (1 BR wk 16 Even years) that I've wanted to sell. I probably should have listed it on Red Week. I was visiting Hilton Head last week with a week about to expire and went to Coastal Timeshare Creations. They seemed to have a different system with face to face contacts. They list the property with Timeshared, Inc of Bluffton, SC for $296 (refundable at closing) and the company gets 10% of the selling price. I checked BBB and Coastal has an A-. Has anyone had experience with either of these companies?

Panthea C.
Jun 07, 2011

I think a A- rating should be good enough to deal with.

Marcy C.
Jun 07, 2011

but i would still check more..

Marcy C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.