The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Jun 04, 2019

I hope that Mr. Zimmerman can correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that the Manhattan Club HOA owns the building and owns the property the building is situated on and as such, we the timeshare owners through our Board have the ability to negotiate management contracts. So - what ownership does BG have, how can it be fired and by whom and for what reason? We must first rid the Board of all ties to Eichner and his cronies and then hold fair, informed elections for membership on the Board. Perhaps Mr. Zimmerman, whom I support, will be able to pursue this in the litigation.

Gail J.
Jun 05, 2019

To: Nathan Z

I totally agree with you

Julie Osikoya D.
Jun 05, 2019

Thank you Julie. I’m all in favor of JMZ continuing his work. I haven’t heard him ask for any volunteers to jump in. And I definitely want to avoid spending more energy on areas that at least as yet, are non-starters for the community.

Nathan Z.
Jun 06, 2019

Chris V.--

The number you want can easily be obtained by going back a number of pages and counting.

William M.
Jun 06, 2019

William, I’m not sure exactly what he means the way his comment was phrased. I feel the most valuable statistic would be the number of unique (unduplicated) posters on all the MC forums for the last five years, as well as the number of unduplicated visitors for the same period. The first stat would allow us to understand how truly “representative “ the forum is, and the second, what percentage of MC owners are reachable through this channel.

I would be grateful if RedWeek could provide this info, but they have no obligation. It may be a simple computer report or it may be more complex and have a cost. This may be more involved in our issue than they want to get. I don’t know. So I’ll just wait and see.

PS. Chris, I’m not criticizing you. I’m trying to clarify something technical before you ask someone to do work for you.

Nathan Z.

Last edited by nathanz2 on Jun 06, 2019 08:32 AM

Jun 06, 2019

in response to redweek.com subscribers who referenced my phrasing of the request to ms kallio of redweek.com.....please note:

"please post the number of current (from the beginning of 2019) redweek.com SUBSCRIBERS (contributors/responders) on THE MANHATTAN CLUB LAWSUIT."

since we are charged a fee to be subscribers, this request, in my opinion, would take a mouse click to obtain and to post this valuable information, with a few typed words. i assume redweek.com keeps computerized records of the information i requested. a response, either way, from ms kallio of redweek.com appears to be in order. i don't consider this request to be asking someone to do work for me or any other paid subscriber to this website/forum. it should be a complimentary service for our loyal, continued subscribing.

i appreciate the comments and caveats.

Chris V.
Jun 06, 2019

You don't have to be a paid subscriber. You can sign up with a guest account.

Louise A.
Jun 06, 2019

Hello. My wife and I stopped paying maintenance fees last year. So far so good. Anyone else?

Thomas B.
Jun 06, 2019

thanks for the offer.

i'm a paid, loyal subscriber. i seek nothing for nothing.

louisea75 wrote:
You don't have to be a paid subscriber. You can sign up with a guest account.

Chris V.
Jun 06, 2019

Chris V, I wasn't suggesting that you specifically sign up with a guest account. I was just letting you know that many readers on the forum are not paid subscribers. To use the features of renting or selling your timeshare or if you want to rent or buy other members' timeshare, you must be a paid subscriber. However, to read or participate on the forums membership isn't necessary.

Louise A.

Last edited by louisea75 on Jun 06, 2019 08:18 PM

Jun 07, 2019

I stopped paying last year too.

Julie Osikoya D.
Jun 07, 2019

Thomas B.

I stopped paying maintenance fees last year too.

Julie Osikoya D.
Jun 07, 2019

Julie, if you don't pay your MF nothing will happen right away except for more letters. But that doesn't mean the matter has been settled. There is a whole body of commercial law covering things like this, and there is probably the potential for being sued later for non payment as well as having the property foreclosed, damaging your credit and creating additional tax consequences. Don't take my word for it; if you want a truly informed opinion, you should hire an attorney with expertise in that field. But attorneys do cost money, and it seems people here are reluctant to spend even $1250 to retain the only attorney willing to take the case at this point. Maybe you can just abandon it. But personally, I don't think you can just stop paying and ignore the paperwork you signed. If you legally purchased the timeshare, it must be legally transferred to the next owner, usually through sale or foreclosure. Until that happens, you are responsible for it. Sometimes people who have stopped payment put the funds in an escrow account. That's how you show your problem is with the contract and not about avoiding payment. But I don't hear anyone here talking about escrowing funds, just complaining about how they can't sell or how expensive the fees have become or how MC is not living up to their end. Which is what the AG's settlement was intended to resolve, no matter how inadequate the settlement or whether some want to acknowledge it or not. I'd get real advice before deciding on non-payment. I pay my MF, use my time and wait for the next chapter.

Nathan Z.

Last edited by nathanz2 on Jun 07, 2019 10:40 AM

Jun 07, 2019

> I would be grateful if RedWeek could provide this info

Hey, Nathan. Sure, we can try to get you some of those stats.

This thread, "Manhattan Club Lawsuit," has had ~ 900k page views (not unique users). Looks like there are ~ 5,600 messages.

YTD, looks like ~ 38k unique page views. And there have been 598 unique posters to this thread.

Maurice A.
RedWeek.com
Jun 07, 2019

this is in response to my original request to ms kallio regarding the number of paid subscribers redweek.com "the manhattan club lawsuit" forum from jan 1 through june of 2019.

you indicate that, if i read it correctly, there are......................."YTD, looks like ~ 38k unique page views. And there have been 598 unique posters to this thread."

that's 598 paid subscribers, ytd, correct? if not, please indicate the actual modification.

maurice wrote:
> I would be grateful if RedWeek could provide this info

Hey, Nathan. Sure, we can try to get you some of those stats.

This thread, "Manhattan Club Lawsuit," has had ~ 900k page views (not unique users). Looks like there are ~ 5,600 messages.

YTD, looks like ~ 38k unique page views. And there have been 598 unique posters to this thread.

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jun 07, 2019 02:02 PM

Jun 07, 2019

Thank you Maurice, that’s a great start! I see the 5600 posts on the list of MC forums, but I don’t understand why the year to date figures are unique but the other figures, which I assume are totals, are not. Even that way, the YTD numbers for 5 months , which you say are unique, are more than double MC ownership. Very curious! Thanks so much for looking into this! And thank Kylie as well for her role in your research!

Nathan Z.

Last edited by nathanz2 on Jun 07, 2019 02:18 PM

Jun 07, 2019

> that's 598 paid subscribers, ytd, correct? if not, please indicate the actual modification.

No, sorry. 598 total posters to this this thread total. YTD, there's only be 95 posters.

> Even that way, the YTD numbers for 5 months , which you say are unique, are more than double MC ownership. Very curious!

So you're trying to get an idea of what percentage of Manhattan Club owners have viewed this thread?

The data is coming from disparate sources, so some of the measures are fuzzy. Many people read the threads anonymously, so all we really have is an IP address.

There's also this other thread in the resort forum: https://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=20127

That one has had seven unique posters YTD. 80 posters total.

Maurice A.
RedWeek.com

Last edited by maurice on Jun 07, 2019 02:37 PM

Jun 08, 2019

Thank you again Maurice. The data seems clear to me. Most folks who visit here are transactionallly oriented. They come and they go. Few stick around. Only the hard core post much, and they (we) squabble a lot. The tone of the interchange probably makes it uncomfortable for a lot of people to join in. It may be a public service, but probably not conducive to a lot of business for RedWeek. Not enormously helpful for adding owners outside the core group of posters either. Thanks again for hosting and sharing these stats.

Nathan Z.

Last edited by nathanz2 on Jun 08, 2019 10:48 AM

Jun 09, 2019

Just received a letter from the Manhattan club that if I don’t pay my maintenance fee ASAP I will be charged an additional amount of$453 on top of the escalating yearly Maintanence of$3743. They have becomes whores especially when my contract starts on 8/1. Worst investment I ever made!!!! Thinking about not paying but it will only increase everyone else’s rate. How do we get out of this horrible investment?

Gary P.
Jun 09, 2019

My Mom stopped paying last year. She doesn't use it and just wants out. She is now considering joining the Zimmerman suit.

Regarding the foreclosure comment above, just based on the posts here, I thought that 2015 case that was mentioned was about BG foreclosing on timeshare owners, which was deemed illegal. Is that not correct??

thomasb840 wrote:
Hello. My wife and I stopped paying maintenance fees last year. So far so good. Anyone else?

Thomas M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.