The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Jul 22, 2019

I own three weeks worth of points in the Lawrence Welk Resorts in Palm Desert and Escondido, CA. In those resorts you can stay from two days to seven days in a week. If you check out on days when the regular cleaning crew is not on duty (I guess Friday or Saturday), you are charged a cleaning fee. I'm sure each resort makes its own policies.

William M.
Jul 22, 2019

I'm not disagreeing with you at all Chris. I would just like to know what TMC is doing today that is illegal. What part or parts of the NYAG's requirements are not being followed. Please be specific. I'm just trying to understand. I know there are things that we don't like, but that doesn't make them illegal. I will be at TMC in September, I think 24-26. If you are around, I'll buy you a drink.

chrisv126 wrote:
laura,

you outlined very many salient TMC points of contention that all of us owners should be aware of and doing something about. i must think twice concerning your idea of daily cleaning, a valid point, but probably it wouldn't reduce our maintenance fees substantially, if at all. the only way to change the ills, scams and frauds in the timeshare industry at large is via national legislation, or perhaps starting by going back to the nysag, letitia james, to show her how the terms of the former nysag's "settlement" (schneiderman) are not being adhered to at all. since his legal settlement, NOTHING has changed for the better at THE MANHATTAN CLUB. eichner had continued to defy the court order and, it seems bluegreen is following in eichner's footsteps.

these are the ideas we should be working on rather than simply bantering on this forum.

i' 'm sending the essence of your excellent outline to my attorney.

laurah136 wrote:
Not having turned over the board to the owners was the biggest mistake ever made. Did the AG even look at that? Does New York not have the requirement to turn the timeshare over to the owners?

I have been complaining for years about the high maintenance fees. I even suggested that we not have the daily cleaning because labor costs were so high. I was told that the union in NY was too powerful and that we couldn't do that. Well, how many of you traded your MC timeshare and found that you had to pay for cleaning at the timeshare you exchanged for? Why can't we do that? We should have an extra fee for those who echange into the TMC. There is nothing more maddening than having to pay extra fees for these other timeshares that may not even meet the quality of TMC?

How can TMC have a contract that precludes the exchange of your unit to Interval International? Isn't it an owner's right to exchange wherever they want? I have done exchanges with SFX and DAE. Why should TMC keep me from exchanging with Interval International? Isn't it some kind of unlawful restraint of trade?

If we could get a legislator to work on this very flawed system it would be great. I have owned for about 26 years. Did the AG look into any of these things?

While many of the exchange companies may give you 2 or three weeks for your MC week, The amount of points that RCI allots you is better. However, they kill you with those exchange fees of $239 every time you exchange! It makes you wonder if you should even bother.

So let's change this industry. Every day someone tries a new scam. This needs to stop too!

William M.
Jul 22, 2019

I live in South Carolina but have 2 penthouse weeks at the Manhattan Club. So - if any of you have some time to read through a short article that appeared in our local paper, you'd find it interesting. So - type in "Some SC timeshare buyers bail, leave others holding the bag". It should pop up as it was an article in the Charleston, Post & Courier.

Gail J.
Jul 22, 2019

I would love to be apart of the Manhattan Club lawsuit. I believe I was sold the timeshare under false pretenses and I was misled. Thank you Nadine F. Brock

alexc100 wrote:
MC owners opened a lawsuite / class action in regards to the MC resrvations.

Everyone who is inerested to join the class action please contact me at alexcrystal22@gmail.com

You will be asked to fill out the Survey and send it or email the lawyer's office. It is urgent! Regards, Alex

Nadine B.
Jul 22, 2019

william, no banter, just facts to answer MY disdain for TMC and the reasons backing them up:

1...unscrupulously, exorbitant, rising maintenance fees, usurping MC's own promise that they would rise "only slightly from time to time"...500% to date: only slightly? this should have been addressed within the scope of the settlement. fraud was committed by the exorbitant increases per year (since my original purchase).

2...the board of directors should have been turned over to owners.....US.....by law (additionally required by schneiderman's "settlement").

3...for some (not me) major difficulties getting desired reservation time. the reservation process should have been revamped per settlement.

4...some suites (even the penthouse suites) are showing obvious signs of wear and neglect. many of the odd tables, e.g., end and night tables are scratched beyond saving, rugs are worn, wallpaper coming away at seams. (this is not true of ALL suites, but certainly 60% of those i've seen.)

the first 3 points above involve legalities. number 4 is simply unconscionable, especially considering the noted exorbitant maintenance fees.

read all of laura's comments. some don't affect me (or probably many of us) but they are of concern to people in laura's position. that doesn't make less of the complaints she forwarded.

william, these are the points you asked me to enumerate, including (what i know to be) the legalities involved. i will not argue the points here any further. i am not trying to convince you to be unhappy with anything about TMC. these are my points of view, not always shared by others. i can't maintain your tolerance for being scammed and defrauded. obviously, my tolerance is essentially not like yours, not that either scenario is better than the other.

by the way, i drink only 2 kinds of drinks: a dry jonnie walker rob roy with 2 dashes of bitters, and a very dry beefeater martini with lots of olives and cocktail onions, each over small ice cubes.

williamm465 wrote:
I'm not disagreeing with you at all Chris. I would just like to know what TMC is doing today that is illegal. What part or parts of the NYAG's requirements are not being followed. Please be specific. I'm just trying to understand. I know there are things that we don't like, but that doesn't make them illegal. I will be at TMC in September, I think 24-26. If you are around, I'll buy you a drink.

chrisv126 wrote:
laura,

you outlined very many salient TMC points of contention that all of us owners should be aware of and doing something about. i must think twice concerning your idea of daily cleaning, a valid point, but probably it wouldn't reduce our maintenance fees substantially, if at all. the only way to change the ills, scams and frauds in the timeshare industry at large is via national legislation, or perhaps starting by going back to the nysag, letitia james, to show her how the terms of the former nysag's "settlement" (schneiderman) are not being adhered to at all. since his legal settlement, NOTHING has changed for the better at THE MANHATTAN CLUB. eichner had continued to defy the court order and, it seems bluegreen is following in eichner's footsteps.

these are the ideas we should be working on rather than simply bantering on this forum.

i' 'm sending the essence of your excellent outline to my attorney.

laurah136 wrote:
Not having turned over the board to the owners was the biggest mistake ever made. Did the AG even look at that? Does New York not have the requirement to turn the timeshare over to the owners?

I have been complaining for years about the high maintenance fees. I even suggested that we not have the daily cleaning because labor costs were so high. I was told that the union in NY was too powerful and that we couldn't do that. Well, how many of you traded your MC timeshare and found that you had to pay for cleaning at the timeshare you exchanged for? Why can't we do that? We should have an extra fee for those who echange into the TMC. There is nothing more maddening than having to pay extra fees for these other timeshares that may not even meet the quality of TMC?

How can TMC have a contract that precludes the exchange of your unit to Interval International? Isn't it an owner's right to exchange wherever they want? I have done exchanges with SFX and DAE. Why should TMC keep me from exchanging with Interval International? Isn't it some kind of unlawful restraint of trade?

If we could get a legislator to work on this very flawed system it would be great. I have owned for about 26 years. Did the AG look into any of these things?

While many of the exchange companies may give you 2 or three weeks for your MC week, The amount of points that RCI allots you is better. However, they kill you with those exchange fees of $239 every time you exchange! It makes you wonder if you should even bother.

So let's change this industry. Every day someone tries a new scam. This needs to stop too!

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jul 22, 2019 07:33 PM

Jul 22, 2019

Nadine, you are responding to a post from 2011, page 1 of 284 in this thread, and the first post of over 5000. You don't need to read it all, but read the last 25-50 pages to get up to speed. The is much you can skip over, but no one can do this for you. Good luck.

Nathan Z.

Last edited by nathanz2 on Jul 23, 2019 10:05 AM

Jul 23, 2019

Gail,

!) Yes penthouse units have a contract to be able to exchange via Interval Int'l or Intervalworld & can also trade via RCI (The. Registry Collection), pricy fees, but a choice. Other One bedrooms can trade with RCI. This is how it their participating contracts were set up.

2) You also suggest getting rid of some tiny other amenities. Please remember that a whole LOT of Other 'little amenities', have already disappeared, while penthouse fees have increased yearly at a Higher % rate, then all the other units.

INCASE you forgot; the NYTimes was delivered daily, Slippers were with the robes, Bath toiletries were BB&B, Bath salts inc'd for the tub, Two passes available daily to either of 2 nearby fitness clubs (one with a pool), the Balconies were open daily (planned with refreshments), 2 conference rooms were available at very reasonable rates for penthouse owner to rent (they are now a smaller gym & computer center), The 'library' had bottled waters & pastries daily, I'm sure I can think of a few more. So, please don't advocate for less, especially when our fees won't go down because we receive less.

Lyn C.
Jul 29, 2019

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us!

Victoria H.
Jul 29, 2019

Thanks for sharing this information on the class action. Unfortunately, when I emailed alexcrystal22@gmail.com, it didn't go through. Did anyone have success reaching Alex?

nadineb54 wrote:
I would love to be apart of the Manhattan Club lawsuit. I believe I was sold the timeshare under false pretenses and I was misled. Thank you Nadine F. Brock

alexc100 wrote:
MC owners opened a lawsuite / class action in regards to the MC resrvations.

Everyone who is inerested to join the class action please contact me at alexcrystal22@gmail.com

You will be asked to fill out the Survey and send it or email the lawyer's office. It is urgent! Regards, Alex

Victoria H.

Last edited by victoriah114 on Jul 29, 2019 11:51 AM

Jul 29, 2019

Victoria, Alex has not been heard from in many years. There is not and has never been a class action lawsuit. Some folks here have retained an attorney at their own expense to bring suit individually on their behalf. If you're interested, you'll have to read a little deeper. Personally, I am looking forward to my annual visit to the MC. I don't always get the time I want, but I have managed to work around it. I find the frontline staff has always been more than helpful. I am sorry not everyone has shared that experience. That's probably not as large an issue as the lack of an available exit strategy. Good luck.

Nathan Z.

Last edited by nathanz2 on Jul 29, 2019 12:53 PM

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks so much, Nathan!

nathanz2 wrote:
Victoria, Alex has not been heard from in many years. There is not and has never been a class action lawsuit. Some folks here have retained an attorney at their own expense to bring suit individually on their behalf. If you're interested, you'll have to read a little deeper. Personally, I am looking forward to my annual visit to the MC. I don't always get the time I want, but I have managed to work around it. I find the frontline staff has always been more than helpful. I am sorry not everyone has shared that experience. That's probably not as large an issue as the lack of an available exit strategy. Good luck.

Victoria H.
Jul 29, 2019

Chris V. They should only charge you half price for the martini as with all the fruit and ice in the glass, there can't be much room for Beefeaters. I hope to see you in September

William M.
Jul 29, 2019

william,

sounds good for september. keep in mind that a couple of rounds at the MC bar will set you back around $60+. they'll probably serve my martini in an extra-large glass.............to fit more beefeaters.

would like seeing your reactions to my 4 enumerations.

thanks,

chris

williamm465 wrote:
Chris V. They should only charge you half price for the martini as with all the fruit and ice in the glass, there can't be much room for Beefeaters. I hope to see you in September

Chris V.
Jul 30, 2019

howardb159 wrote:
... , now I just received offer from: Timeshare Interval Admin. LLC. to buy my units for $100 each, any other owners got this? would like owners here feed back, Thanks

hodgep wrote:
I received the same offer from them. I have been looking to dump this disaster for 5 years so the offer was a welcome relief. My attorney said the paperwork was fine. Moving on.

Has anyone gotten any response after sending in the forms for this buyback? Just checking since my mom sent it in, figure it may take a while.

Thomas M.

Last edited by thomasm832 on Jul 30, 2019 02:18 PM

Jul 30, 2019

I also turned my Penthouse Suite (which I paid over $40K for ) to the Manhattan Club for the $100. price. I was just so tired and frustrated with this whole thing, I just wanted out and nothing more to do with the M/C. I turned back in the notorized paperwork about a month ago and haven't received anything as of yet. Cliff

Cliff&Chris T.
Jul 30, 2019

We sent ours back mid May and haven't heard back. Judging from others on here I'm expecting it to take 3 months, so mid August .

Louise A.
Jul 31, 2019

Chris V--I will give you my reactions to your four points when I get a chance--probably next week.

William M.
Jul 31, 2019

How do I contact Interval admin luv to sell my timeshare? I wasn’t contacted by them

Harriet R.
Jul 31, 2019

How do u contact them

Harriet R.
Aug 01, 2019

It seems that many owners of TMC are considering to get out of the current mess and extortion. I stayed at TMC consecutively for many years and hardly got it exchanged. I felt the pinch every time I saw the exorbitant maintenance fees. I wonder how I can contact the Timeshare Interval Admin. LLC to buy my one week executive junior suite ?? Any owners out there to give me more information on how to "dump" my timeshare ?? It's a big mistake to purchase this timeshare in 1999, I thought it could be a good investment then..and how wrong and stupid I was !! Now I want to be out too. I still enjoy New York City but there are many nice, decent and newer hotels in Wall Street area, Chelsea....such as Marriot, Hilton, Four Points By Sheraton, Quarter Club hotels.... etc at cheaper rates if I book in advance. It is not a problem for me as I always need to plan my travels in well advance.

thomasm832 wrote:
howardb159 wrote:
... , now I just received offer from: Timeshare Interval Admin. LLC. to buy my units for $100 each, any other owners got this? would like owners here feed back, Thanks

hodgep wrote:
I received the same offer from them. I have been looking to dump this disaster for 5 years so the offer was a welcome relief. My attorney said the paperwork was fine. Moving on.

Has anyone gotten any response after sending in the forms for this buyback? Just checking since my mom sent it in, figure it may take a while.

Joanne Y.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.