The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Jun 03, 2020

Maybe this is dumb question but if more and more people stop paying, doesn't that mean they would have to spend a lot of money of their own to foreclose or go after us ? They have a contract to live up to also and they have not lived up to their part of the bargain, by raising rates exponentially and not letting people use their time. That was proven in the AG's lawsuit. Fraud/bait and switch. So it doesn't seem to me that they have a legal leg to stand on. They can threaten to try to ruin our credit, but other owners in the past, who received such threats, have shared that they told the credit bureau what was going on and the stain on their credit was removed.

Dks
Jun 03, 2020

Does anyone know if Blue Green is still the sponsor or are they involved in a dispute with TMC and have withdrawn? I heard they were involved in some sort of mediation. Anyone with information please let me know.

Thank you.

Margo R.
Jun 03, 2020

I called again to see if my 2020 week could be extended owing to Covid-19 and again was informed that it could not. I was advised to deposit the week in RCI, which I intend to do--if their website ever starts working again. But take a look at the RCI website--they are offering extensions to all those who have booked for up to a year. Here's the irony: if you are a TMCNY owner, and pay your fees, and have a reservation coming up, the Club will not extend that reservation--despite the pandemic and the recent riots and protests in the City. BUT if you are not an owner, and booked a reservation at TMCNY through RCI, they will extend your reservation for a year at the Club. Just another disadvantage in being a MC owner

Robert P.
Jun 03, 2020

I received a letter from TMC dated March 23, 2020 asking each delinquent owner (which I am) "to relinquish ownership of their interval or return to an Owner in good standing." I'm then given two options: 1) To deed my interval for $100 or 2) pay up, otherwise "TSA's attorneys will commence further collection activities, which may include the filing of a lien against your timeshare interval." I wrote them a letter starting that they should send all correspondence my our attorney, Jean-Marc Zimmerman. I also told them "we feel a fair price for our timeshare to be $18,067, a price promise made to us on our purchase date from Tiffany Lane, TMC sale rep, who guaranteed we would never be paid less than our purchase price."

Beth C.
Jun 03, 2020

we MUST all demand that TMC gives us extensions for our reservation time or that we'll get caught up with the dangers of the CORONAVIRUS/COVIS-19 AND THE POSSIBILITY OF SERIOUS ILLNESS OR DEATH; we would be risking our lives with the various rioting and looting associated with the otherwise legal protesting. that would be grounds in itself for a mega lawsuit involving thousands of TMC owners.

TMC is and has been acting like a monarchy unto its own, without regard to us owners. THIS HAS TO STOP NOW. HOW MUCH MORE CAN WE OWNERS TAKE? we shouldn't have to pay for something that's impossible to use. TMC gets our maintenance fee, we sit on our porches, and they rent out our time via booking.com or other similar sites. isn't it time that those who live within traveling distance (and is safe to be in nyc) that we begin a protest of our own on 200 w 56 st, nys, TMC. (THIS COULD TAKE SOME TIME).

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. WE'VE TAKEN WAY TOO MUCH OF OF TMC's CRAP. IT TIME TO BE TAKING ACTION BEFORE TMC DECIDES TO TELL US HOW MUCH OF THEIR COFFEE WE SHOULD DRINK.

has any owner seen written and posted CDC GUIDELINES CONCERNING USE OF TMC REGARDING MASKS, PUBLIC SPACE SOCIAL DISTANCING, ELEVATOR SOCIAL DISTANCING? did i miss something? A SEPARATE LAWSUIT MUST BE INITIATED TO ADDRESS THESE AND OTHER HEALTH, SAFETY AND WELFARE ISSUES.

some words to consider in reference to TMC:

-FRAUD

-STEAL

-SHAM

-LIES

-BREACH OF CONTRACT

-EXPONENTIALLY EXORBITANT MAINTENANCE FEES -NO RESERVATION EXTENSIONS DUE TO PANDEMIC AND PROTESTING

-TYRANNICAL

-NO CDC GUIDELINES CONSIDERING RESERVATION TIME

-NO EXTENSION OF RESERVATION TIME DUE TO CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19 OR CURRENT PROTESTS AND RIOTS

-TOO FULL TO HONOR OWNERS' RESERVATION REQUESTS (EVEN WITHOUT THE CURRENT PANDEMIC AND NATIONAL ISSUES)

if i haven't covered all issues, please continue adding.

our investments and expectations are worth the effort to have TMC treat us as VALUED OWNERS rather than subjects of the monarchy.

act now. TMC MGMT (BOD), GOV COUMO; MAYOR DE BLASIO; NEW YORK STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL, LETICIA JONES; PRIVATE AND STRONG ATTORNEY INTERVENTION; TV, NEWSPAPER, CABLE, INTERNET MEDIA, ONLINE FORUMS; ALL OTHER ENTITIES THAT WILL ACT UPON OUR PLEAS FOR FAIRNESS AND MAINTENANCE OF THE CONTRACT--- THAT TMC CREATED, BROKE AND TRIED TO BURDEN US WITH. since they breached the contract, the question arises of whether we should be bound by that breached contract.

drusillam2 wrote:
Thanks, Deborah. They are unbelievable. Who in their right mind would want to go to NYC even now with all events cancelled, the Virus threat and now rioting. The only conclusion is that they want everyone to stop paying. Sad situation for so many.

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jun 04, 2020 09:54 AM

Jun 03, 2020

Does anyone on this website know if a HOA/Timeshsre association/Boutique Hotel can file for bankruptcy? Seems like bankruptcy is ideal for TMC, similar to a private person who runs up all their credit cards and got lots and lots of “stuff such as fine dining, nice clothing, electronics, jewelry, and much more” and stopped making payments on their home knowing they were going to file bankruptcy and leave all their creditors or “stockholders” holding the bag? Now, I’m just throwing this out there because, as I recall in an earlier posting, someone tried to make a reservation in May 2021 and there was no availability. Why would there be no availability a year away? Maybe because they know they won’t be in business a year from now? I think this is all a strategy of TMC to walk away and leave us owners holding the bag and we didn’t even get any “stuff”!

drusillam2 wrote:
Thanks, Deborah. They are unbelievable. Who in their right mind would want to go to NYC even now with all events cancelled, the Virus threat and now rioting. The only conclusion is that they want everyone to stop paying. Sad situation for so many.

Becky F
Jun 03, 2020

Becky, I wondered as did you regarding a desired reservation in May 2021 and no availability. That would supposedly be impossible so something is very possibly in the wind regarding the demise of TMC. What happens then? Do we owners own the building with our deeded ownership? Wonder if Mr Z has some insight?

Dru M.
Jun 04, 2020

hi dru;

the answers to becky's initial questions are , for myself and perhaps other owners very important and reasonable. becky's comments made sense, but the outcome of TMC declaring bankruptcy remains unclear. please defer those questions to those with legal knowledge for that possibility, namely attorney zimmerman. he should have an overall answer to the question of TMC declaring bankruptcy and its effect on us owners.

if whoever currently owns TMC files for bankruptcy, they should do so with the proviso that we owners must get our initial purchase price plus annual increases in nyc real estate prices back; as you put it "Do we owners own the building with our deeded ownership? Wonder if Mr Z has some insight?" mr zimmerman should help us answer that legal question with his legal expertise in this matter.

drusillam2 wrote:
Becky, I wondered as did you regarding a desired reservation in May 2021 and no availability. That would supposedly be impossible so something is very possibly in the wind regarding the demise of TMC. What happens then? Do we owners own the building with our deeded ownership? Wonder if Mr Z has some insight?

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jun 04, 2020 06:20 PM

Jun 07, 2020

To all Owners,

Who has said "enough is enough" and decided to stop paying the ever-increasing Manhattan Club increases? If you have done this, when did you start, and what, if any, were the consequences?

Thank you, John

John G.
Jun 07, 2020

I stopped paying 2 years ago, when this all started. To be told that this would affect your credit, was a scare tactic. Believe that if everyone sticks together, stops paying their fees, and stands to together, the only way they will have to concede is when the money stops coming in. We are the owners, to give up that right only lets them win, and that is not going to happen on my watch. For those who choose to still pay their fees, so be it, watch as time goes on, those fees will continue to rise and with the pandemic in full force, we cannot even use what we own. They need to be held accountable, and the only ones that can do it, IS THE OWNERS. I hope all the people who do not believe that, will find out in the long run. Good luck.

Henry D.
Jun 07, 2020

Thank you

Kevin O.

Last edited by kevin631 on Jun 20, 2020 08:04 AM

Jun 08, 2020

I saw in one of the messages TMC is declaring bankruptcy. What are the details?

Irene S.
Jun 08, 2020

questions regarding the consequences if 1) TMC's filing for bankruptcy and 2) owners not paying maintenance fees should be asked of competent and knowledgeable attorneys, either zimmerman or another one of owners' choosing.

fyi, many owners have already retained zimmerman, so i would assume he has more TMC background to work with.

there are too many possibilities and too much guesswork for the layman to figure out. leave it to the legal professionals.

all owners in their own way are saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. WE HAVE ACCEPTED TMC's FRAUD (WITH MANY QUESTIONS, AND NO EFFECTIVE ACTION) for years. it's time for action on our part. many have retained legal representation (as i did.) that's a muddied process thanks to the slow court procedures exacerbated by the PANDEMIC AND MR FLOYD'S UNFORTUNATE DEATH.

do we await the TMC notion of bankruptcy? that would probably take years to begin and end; and the notion itself is unsure.

we must come together as a group and have a plan of action, AS A GROUP, e.g., non- payment of maintenance fees, that could help our cause. will TMC sue, forclose, effect owners' credit rating (which probably won't happen) or any other financially meaningful action?.....mostly unlikely. but we owners are still stuck with the continuing fraud in the form of, especially, rapidly rising maintenance fees, owners not getting desired reservation time and non-extension of reservation time due to the coronavirus/covid-19 pandemic (that's the most inhumane current issue; TMC IS making financial gains through others' pain, suffering and even death due to this horrific and debilitating pandemic.)

mr zimmerman has been on a case with mr tucker regarding the use of all owners' contact information. so far, i have not seen info regarding that effort. is the CONTACT INFORMATION AVAILABLE FOR OWNERS TO USE OR NOT? if so, when will we be able to notify all 14,000 to 18,000 owners of our intentions?

this financially disastrous and distressful TMC issue will go on forever if we continue to do nothing SUBSTANTIAL AS AN OWNERS' GROUP, AND DO IT NOW. I EMPHASIZE.........................AS AN OWNERS' GROUP................................PERHAPS ALL OWNERS STOPPING PAYMENT OF MAINTENANCE FEES. we can seek legal advice on the results of this action, then proceed rapidly from there.

keep in mind that there was admitted TMC fraud and a total breach of contract on TMC's part. where do owners fit within that scheme of things?

ACTION TIME, FELLOW OWNERS.

WE NEED IMMEDIATE FOLLOW UP ON THESE IDEAS. WE NEED MORE INTERESTED OWNERS TO ACT NOW AND OFFER MORE IDEAS TO RID THIS ALBATROSS FROM OUR FINANCIAL LIVES.

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jun 08, 2020 12:39 PM

Jun 08, 2020

Where does it say that TMC is filing for bankruptcy? I have seen some speculation but no hard facts in our message exchanges here.

Dick H.
Jun 08, 2020

Dick, you are absolutely right. It was me that posted the “idea” of the “possibility” of TMC filing bankruptcy. I merely asked the group if it was even possible for an HOA/Timeshare/Boutique Hotel to file bankruptcy. Simply a question and not a statement of fact.

Becky F
Jun 08, 2020

We have been owners since 1999 and only stopped paying a year ago. I wrote a letter to Tmcny stating my case, mentioning the knowledge of an impending lawsuit and asking for their best offer. I received a phone call asking me to call and we can talk. I did not call. I wanted communication to be in writing. I then received the "we'll give you $100 letter. I did not answer that either as it was insulting. Just a few days ago I received another call with a more desperate sounding voice saying they will wave my past charges if I give up my deed. I am tempted, I would love to get rid of this nighmare but my husband would like to get a bit more than $100. I will write a second letter and I perhaps wait for a better offer in writing.

Bonnie H.
Jun 08, 2020

i would seek current market value for similar nys real estate; a 1br, 2 bath unit approaches at the least $50 to $100,000 mark AND THEY KNOW IT.

Chris V.
Jun 08, 2020

Don't hold your breath. take the $100 or forget about it. I have not heard of anyone getting offered more.

Roger S.
Jun 08, 2020

Are you serious? The market value is what someone will pay. Check out the resale value of TMC units. Nothing close to what you just posted.

Roger S.
Jun 08, 2020

Chris, I agree with you. We need to come together as a group. I have continued to pay my maintenance fees. I do now pay them on the last possible day. I do use my time but I am within driving distance of TMC. Initially it was very difficult to get a booking. It does completely aggravate me when I see non owners can get a room for $150-$250 when I’ve already paid for the “ownership” of time and the $300+ per night as the maintenance fee. I am willing to be part of this lawsuit. I am not willing to take $100 for my investment.

Tracey K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.