Point Systems

Orange Lake and Holiday Inn

Jun 02, 2018

I was sold a timeshare at Gatlinburg … 107,000 pts - $22,500 - $785 in maint fees. As I returned home to a computer and internet, I realized I only got a 1 bedroom in peak time for a total annual cost of ~ $1,000 (785 + club dues _ $64 reservation fee). Also, this put me into a standard Member class without any of the big benefits. I have cancelled though I'm still interested in a RESALE ! However, the time share rep has told me that if you aren't "family" or "succession" of the original owner, the resales revert to weeks. The actual disclosures are a little ambiguous. What resorts allow transfer of points ?

Rebecca H.
Jun 02, 2018

The 3 resorts that transfer as points are Gatlinburg, Myrtle Beach, and Lake Geneva, WI. The new signature building at Myrtle Beach may be an exception. The estoppel that a closing company can obtain will verify that a particular unit will transfer to the new owner as points in the HICV system.

Tracey S.
Jun 03, 2018

While the Director ? didn't use the "succession" requirement for using points on a time share resale, Holiday Inn has added some penalties …

- points don't roll over (vs. allowing "owners" as they call the original buyers getting to roll over 1 yr) - 6 months advance reservations vs. 10 months for owners - $99 reservation fee vs. $64

- only the person on the Deed can check-in, i.e., can't rent out or even have family use it - Cannot borrow points - Points don't convert to RCI

So while they contend they are all about "owners" it is only original owners, not resales.

We are opting out of the whole system !

Rebecca H.
Jun 04, 2018

rebeccah231 wrote:
While the Director ? didn't use the "succession" requirement for using points on a time share resale, Holiday Inn has added some penalties …

- points don't roll over (vs. allowing "owners" as they call the original buyers getting to roll over 1 yr) - 6 months advance reservations vs. 10 months for owners - $99 reservation fee vs. $64

- only the person on the Deed can check-in, i.e., can't rent out or even have family use it - Cannot borrow points - Points don't convert to RCI

So while they contend they are all about "owners" it is only original owners, not resales.

We are opting out of the whole system !

Most of the restrictions that you mention only apply to resale trust points- which at most resort locations they haven't even started selling. These don't apply to deeded (non trust) resale transfers at the 3 properties. There is a 300 page document which clearly outlines these restrictions for trust points. In order to make those kind of changes "- only the person on the Deed can check-in, i.e., can't rent out or even have family use it - Cannot borrow points - Points don't convert to RCI " To the existing properties -that have not been deeded into the trust, it would require a super majority. HICV likely couldn't get that which is one of the reasons for the trust, so that once the deeds are a part of the trust the basic benefits will not transfer.

Tracey S.
May 22, 2019

I am looking to buy a week at orange lake Kissimmee from RedWeek, is there anything special I should know. I don’t understand the point system? Also is there any other fees besides the yearly maintenance fee ?

Jeff R.
May 22, 2019

Read through the threads in the forum and you will never buy points . The horror stories of the owners never getting a booking and the resorts always raising the number of points needed for a reservation . Points are a one sided contract with the resort controlling everything . Why on earth would anyone spend thousands of dollars in fees to let the resort decide if you can use your points ?

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on May 22, 2019 01:18 PM

May 22, 2019

jeffr508 wrote:
I am looking to buy a week at orange lake Kissimmee from RedWeek, is there anything special I should know. I don’t understand the point system? Also is there any other fees besides the yearly maintenance fee ?

You should know that often you can rent a week from an owner for less than the maintenance fees. Also, if you don't understand the points system, then you should not buy it until you are very familiar with the system.

As for other fees, occasionally a special assessment fee but those are not very frequent in Florida.

Lance C.
May 25, 2019

While I admit that I don't know the current restrictions on converting to points on a resale It was a great idea when they first came out with it. I converted for less than 2K when the program just came out, no other purchase required. Yes, they are going to increase your fees/points but it still it is a good deal to book less than a week at their other resorts or even here. Just be aware that once you buy it, it is almost impossible to sell and if it is deeded it is part of your estate. So your family will be paying the maintenance fees long after you are gone. Too bad that they don't have a resale program set up for the people that no longer use it. Even if they don't let you convert a resale to points it is a great idea if all you are looking for is a place to vacation especially if you have kiddies and can get a place when they are out of school.

Lawrence K.
May 26, 2019

I have points and I love it! You have to learn your system to use it to its fullest potential. It does not have to cost you thousands of dollars to have points Those that complain are not planning ahead. If you are a "week" owner you planned 1 year in advance automatically. As a points owner you must plan in advance at the 10 month window. 1 week sometimes shorter the busy times / places are already booked. Bookings for 3 days 10 days 3 weeks starting stopping any day of the week, yes the points are pretty awesome! Knowledge is power, read the guide book and learn it like the back of your hand. I love our system, and the expansion of choices. Looking forward to what they get next. Just picked up New Orleans, and a place by Lake Tahoe. Was only Orange Lake at first when I bought, we have 28 locations now.

Dave

Last edited by davidg1131 on May 26, 2019 08:22 PM

May 29, 2019

Know before you buy Orange Lake has no secondary market. I was able to work with their media person to get a loan cancelled for a family told the timeshare would be easy to sell. The buyer was a single woman, got married, upgraded when married, got pregnant, baby born blue requiring open heart surgery and a second surgery. Orange Lake would not cancel the loan until I sent the article for comment (with baby's picture smiling with oxygen tubes in her nose) to resolve the dispute. Until then the family had been denied.

Yesterday I heard from an Orange Lake owner, age 71. He has had a heart transplant, kidney failure, on dialysis three times a week. Orange Lake has refused to take back their fully paid for timeshare based on medical hardship. It is just unbelievable. Your life can turn on a dime. Disney has a valid secondary market, but Orange Lake, none. What other asset, boat, car, condo, pair of shoes do you buy you can't sell or give away?

Irene P.
May 30, 2019

I have not heard of Orange Lake refusing to take back a paid off unit. Are you sure they were speaking to the correct department. https://orangelake.com/horizons?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_r3nBRDxARIsAJljleG-H3_GuXdqD0NftdEmEO8BGm5qGjK1snVbttz2wO7r9irTKlD0QmUaAtC9EALw_wcB

As long as it is paid off, you don't have to have medical hardship or any reason.

Tracey S.

Last edited by tracey75 on May 30, 2019 11:55 AM

May 30, 2019

Keep calling like Tracey said . You might have talked to someone who really doesn't know the system . I made many calls to my home resorts and finally made sure I got ahold of the party that handles the titles and I was able to give back two timeshares in 2011 . Keep calling until they get sick and tired of hearing from you and they take it back .

Don P.
May 31, 2019

I just turned over my fully paid property to Orange Lake. They sent me papers, I completed, now it is theirs. They want your property to resell so they get the revenue twice. I had tried to sell privately, but they have first right of refusal and stepped in to buy it the first week I owned. This one I just called, got the person and let it go. Be persistent, as I had to call a few numbers first, before I got the correct department I actually got the right phone number from TUG

Melody

Melody S.
May 31, 2019

I was contacted by an Edward Jones broker this week. His client is in his 70s. He had a heart transplant June 2018. He is on dialysis 3X a week in kidney failure. His Orange Lake timeshare is fully paid for but they are refusing to take it back. Would anyone familiar with Orange Lake be willing to help him? I will be reaching out to the Orange Lake media person who helped with a similar situation in the past, but any extra help that could be provided by an Orange Lake members would be appreciated.

Irene P.
May 31, 2019

irenep59 wrote:
I was contacted by an Edward Jones broker this week. His client is in his 70s. He had a heart transplant June 2018. He is on dialysis 3X a week in kidney failure. His Orange Lake timeshare is fully paid for but they are refusing to take it back.

I'm not familiar with OL but here are a couple of possibilities. Whom at OL did the owner contact? Was it just a front desk receptionist? The recommendation in situations like this is to contact in writing the Homeowners' Association and fully explain the situation. Also, mention in no uncertain terms, that the owner is not paying another penny in maintenance fees and that it would be in everyone's best interests for the resort (or actually, the HOA) to take the unit back amicably.

Lance C.
Jun 03, 2019

I am very familiar with Orange Lake. Like Westgate, they dismiss everyone. One member did get their loan cancelled after I sent their media department pictures of the member's baby newborn on oxygen after open heart surgery. That worked. They had been told the timeshare would be easy to sell. The media contact was really nice about it.

Irene P.
Nov 25, 2019

Hi, I am trying to give back a River Island 2bdrm with no mortgage. Who do I contact?

Kelly352
Nov 25, 2019

Melody, what department is the correct department? thanks

melodyschaefer5370 wrote:
I just turned over my fully paid property to Orange Lake. They sent me papers, I completed, now it is theirs. They want your property to resell so they get the revenue twice. I had tried to sell privately, but they have first right of refusal and stepped in to buy it the first week I owned. This one I just called, got the person and let it go. Be persistent, as I had to call a few numbers first, before I got the correct department I actually got the right phone number from TUG

Melody

Kelly352
Dec 19, 2022

Are you interested in selling your week 10?

DOOR COUNTY SNOWBIRDS

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.