Timeshare Companies

Open Letter to Steve Cloobeck, Diamond Resorts International CEO

Dec 01, 2012

michelleh598 wrote:
Amen to your appropriate response to all of the whining regarding this matter. GO TO THE BOARD OF THE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION !! Give the guy some credit for showing empathy and appreciation for extremely hard working, deserving & loyal employees. When was the last time you all have reached DEEP into YOUR POCKETS to significantly improve the quality of life for another human being experiencing the challenges of life who is less fortunate than yourself & who just happens to work for YOU? Helping YOU BUILD YOUR EMPIRE!! Is the money you say you're OUT , HIS FAULT? ( SOME MALITIOUS PLOT TO FILL HIS OWN POCKETS?... GREEDY PEOPLE DON"T HELP ANYONE BUT THEMSELVES!!!! ) Is that increase in fees going to be the difference between you having a roof over your head or is it going to PREVENT YOU FROM DOING SOMETHING / HAVING SOMETHING ELABORATE?? Don't be a hater because he has acquired the level of success and financial freedom that most of us only dream of!! He was smart! He was lucky! He is entitled to enjoy the fruits of his labor & wise investing! If he wants to buy a fast car, a plane/jet ,a mansion of a house ...SO WHAT!!! Shame on all of you who ridicule an extremely wealthy employer who has " shared the wealth " with not only the employees that he had first hand interaction with, but also has gone the extra mile for the others which he had NO first hand interaction with by putting forth a MILLION DOLLARS of his OWN MONEY & getting the company to match his contribution DOLLAR for DOLLAR to ANY other EMPLOYEE experiencing some kind of life altering crisis or hardship!! Saying that he only did it for PUBLICITY, or to make himself LOOK GOOD is OBSURD!! And maybe he WAS the OTHER KIND OF BOSS IN THE PAST... I don't know...people change!! Kudos to you STEVE CLOOBECK...A MODERN DAY ROBIN HOOD? ....OR EMPLOYMENT HERO? ...that is way all mankind should be!!...Place the blame where it lies! Personally, I think that all companies , no matter how big or small, should be required to take care of their employees after a certain level of success because the truth of the matter is that THEY get you there ! Whether YOU believe that or not it is SO TRUE!! Take notice... If YOU have people working hard for you & contributing to YOUR SUCCESS...HELP THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE HELPED YOU GET TO WHERE YOU ARE WHETHER YOU AGREE OR NOT WITH HOW HARD you think THEY HAVE WORKED TO GET YOU YOUR SUCCESS...trust me...they have made many sacrifices for YOUR SUCCESS whether you are wise enough to see it or not!! Surely, you aren't so self-absorbed and narcissistic to think that YOU & YOU ALONE have done THAT all by yourself? THINK ABOUT IT!!...jus' sayin'! I would be honored to work for someone who shows that kind of recognition and appreciation for his employees....after years and years ( 15 to be exact ) of hard work, dedication, sacrifices and loyalty to ONE EMPLOYER & forced to quit ( buy cutting my hours down to nothing that I could live off of & so they wouldn't have to pay me unemployment benefits ), a job that I loved & was extremely good at ,was always TOLD- what a GREAT JOB I did many times over the years & what a "superstar" I was......and so on ,for a " CHEAPER, LESS EXPERIENCED, LESS QUALIFIED PERSON"... then was told that " IT"S NOT PERSONAL IT"S BUSINESS", " we can't AFFORD you any longer," " we're DOWN-SIZING to keep from going into the RED"... Yada,Yada,Yada... I would LOVE to work for Steve Cloobeck...I did not see a man wrapped up in his own ego...I saw a man who truly wants to take better care of his staff, make a difference in the quality of their lives & work environment, show of concern for their well being and a man who would go to his employees ( if it ever came down to it ) and consider a pay-cut across the board so that NO ONE would have to be LEFT BEHIND & suffer that kind of financial & emotional loss, I mean, DEVISTATION! Legally getting away with something so ETHICALLY & MORALLY WRONG that it SHOULD BE considered CRIMINAL and PUNISHABLE BY INPRISONMENT in THIS country!! ( when YOU CAUSE an innocent person( with innocent children ) to lose their mortgage,their cars & their life as they knew it to save yourself a few bucks or becauce your teenager wants a car that is way TOO EXPENSIVE, you want to buy yourself a new ROLEX because the OLD one ISN"T NEW ENOUGH any more or because your next door neighbor has purchased a jet or a yaught & you suddenly feel " THE NEED " to DO THE SAME so that you don;t have to feel like you've " BEEN OUT-DONE " & the GENIOUS IDEA YOU HAVE TO ENABLE YOUR FINANCES TO DO SO IS TO CUT HARD WORKING EMPLOYEES' PAY/HOURS TO THE BRINK OF THE POVERTY LEVEL SO YOU CAN HAVE YOUR WANTS>>>>>YOU SHOULD BE LOCKED UP IN PRISON!! So, if you don't like what you see when you look at Steve Cloobeck CEO, than my humble advise to you is to CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT HIM...it's YOUR perspective that's the problem ....NOT STEVE CLOOBECK!! Chew on that for a while and get BRUTALLY HONEST with yourself! No matter how you slice it...I saw a generous man who was sincere and truly wanted to help by showing his appreciation for loyality despite the daily challenges & frustrations of working directly under idiots! I GET IT...DO YOU? ... I'M DONE NOW...WOW, that felt great to say!!! Everyone always just thinks it, but there, now I've said it ! How do you like me now ? Do your homework people!!!

chrisg352 wrote:
to whom it may concern, call your homeowners association concerning maint fees. they control them not the developer. the developer is there to sell units. the owners decide to raise fee's or not. there is a homeowners association you can try to get on and then would see how everything works. i worked for diamond resorts as wells as some others and they all work the same. it is a big myth that they make money on them, they are not allowed to by law. so you are barking up the wrong tree. find out who they are and complain to them. hope this helps.

Would you please edit this post using paragraphs ..... this being one long post makes it very difficult to read without separate paragraphs.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Dec 01, 2012 08:15 AM

Feb 06, 2013

You're absolutely wrong. HOA controls all maintenance fees. And diamond makes no money off of them. Use your time to do more research before you come to the table with information that is 100% false. No one is defending diamond. We are defending the truth.

Bob H.
Feb 06, 2013

When you say that the HOA decides whether to raise maintenance fees that is half correct. However, the major number of members of the HOA are either employees of Diamond or related to them. So, therefore, Diamond is indirectly deciding to raise the fees. This has been the biggest frustration for me.

bobh414 wrote:
You're absolutely wrong. HOA controls all maintenance fees. And diamond makes no money off of them. Use your time to do more research before you come to the table with information that is 100% false. No one is defending diamond. We are defending the truth.

James K.
Mar 03, 2013

I have a problem with the % increase of maintenance fees. If you go to your resort in Las Vegas, you will find so many issues. My husband and I were sucked into the system but when we booked time, we had multiple problems. WE couldn't book Christmas or New Years because it was sold out but then 1 month before we discovered there was a special going on to lure new folks. They were not full and I am disgusted by this antic. The resort is a mess, carpet is worn and when we extended our stay by a day, we had more than 15 people knocking on our door telling us to get out. The last gal, I personally took down to the front desk and told them to leave us alone. I am trying to sell the resort, promises are never kept, and the time share sales are shoddy at best.

Judy L.
Aug 26, 2013

I too am a very frustrated member/owner with Diamond Resorts International. I originally bought a week through Embassy Suites (unit 7-207)at the Point in Kauai. I was then encouraged by Diamond to change my 1 week floating ownership to points. I thought this was a good idea as they said I could use the points for days instead of a week. At that time I increase my points to 15,000.

In july 2012 I was invited to Sedona for a short vacation and a presentation. They convinced me to change the Hawaiian ownership to the US collection. Now I find tht this does not include not only Hawaii but also the California collection. I feel they hoodwinked me and did me a major dis-service. I feel that I was cheated and lied to. How do I join the law suit? We should have a class action forcing them to buy the shares back from us.

Robert Degraca

Robert D.
Aug 26, 2013

I second everything you said. I too was sucked in and now cannot get a reservation in any California Resort. Not only at the Christmas or holidays but it seems throughout the year. I too tried to sell my shares but could not find any takers. They are still selling and at visit to Kauai found many new "suckers" yet they tried to convince me to buy more points. They said they had no more Hawaiian collections to sell even if someone came in with cash but would change my collection back to include Hawaii if I bought more shares. They give "used car salemen" a bad name.

Robert D.
Aug 26, 2013

Since your representatives in Kawaii said that Diamond Resort had no more shares to sell why would you not be will to buy back our shares? If what they say had even the inkling of truth you could buy our shares back for 50% of what we paid and resell them for a huge profit. Something is drastically wrong!

Robert

Robert D.
Aug 26, 2013

I had exactly the same thing happen to me this past week in Kauai.

Robert D.
Aug 26, 2013

robertd992 wrote:
I too am a very frustrated member/owner with Diamond Resorts International. I originally bought a week through Embassy Suites (unit 7-207)at the Point in Kauai. I was then encouraged by Diamond to change my 1 week floating ownership to points. I thought this was a good idea as they said I could use the points for days instead of a week. At that time I increase my points to 15,000.

In july 2012 I was invited to Sedona for a short vacation and a presentation. They convinced me to change the Hawaiian ownership to the US collection. Now I find tht this does not include not only Hawaii but also the California collection. I feel they hoodwinked me and did me a major dis-service. I feel that I was cheated and lied to. How do I join the law suit? We should have a class action forcing them to buy the shares back from us.

Robert Degraca

Hello Robert,

I am confused as to why you switched to the US Collection. Was it the lower maintenance fees that it has compared to the Hawaii Collection? Or was it to have first access to the US Collection resorts? If Hawaii was still your prime location that you were interested in I am not sure why you changed. You can still go to Hawaii resorts with your US Collection points, you just don't have the 13 month home collection reservation advantage anymmore. For the record, The Point is pretty easy to get into. I go there and never have a problem making reservations at 10 months out. In fact, I will be there next summer in July and there is plenty of inventory. The California Collection has very few resorts. However, you should be able to get into the San Luis Bay Inn fairly easily as well as the Riviera Oak resort in Ramona. The resorts in Capistrano Beach may be a little more challenging only because there was a group of members that already came with those resorts. The others like Seapointe in Carlsbad and Coronado Beach Resort in San Diego have very limited availabiltity as they are affiliates. You can find availabilty but you need to look every day. I would nt spend any ony converting back.

Charles S.
Aug 27, 2013

I was never aware of the different collection and I was convinced the US collection would cover everything and was taken in by thinking US meant all the United States territories ( including Hawaii and California.). Being naive and stupid I went along

Robert D.
Aug 27, 2013

robertd992 wrote:
I was never aware of the different collection and I was convinced the US collection would cover everything and was taken in by thinking US meant all the United States territories ( including Hawaii and California.). Being naive and stupid I went along

They should have given you a list with the resorts on it. It should have been with your materials that you signed indicating the resorts. I am sorry that you were not informed that you'd lose Hawaii.

Charles S.
Oct 16, 2013

Dear Mr. Cloobeck, I fully agree with Bob about the maintenance fee issue and about the deception. I TOO want my money back!!!! Or at least 1/2 of what I paid. Like Bob. I have written you before and have not received any message back. But was told that you personally read everything. I personally work in TV and radio... and understand production. I also understand manipulation and "cover-ups" of which there have been MANY with my dealings with Diamond Resorts. See below.

Dear Casey,

Thank you for your time today re: my complaints about my Diamond Resorts package.

You know that I am extremely unhappy with what I've bought into. What I'd like to do is a buy back. I will keep in touch with you as to the possibility of something like that in the future. And will keep in mind the offer to relinguish the package, although that would be at a great loss to me. (Of course I was told by the original sales people that it would be easy to sell packages... and in fact the value would GO UP!--- Sunterra People said that. Others told me that I could easily sell. And of course I told you about the "inside info" I was given that if I bought more points, I could be a part of the company buy-back. I am SOOO glad I did not proceed with buying those additional points. Because obviously I would be disappointed again-- and would have lost money!)

Apart from my frustration, I hope that the salespeople in Williamsburg will change their ways-- -and that the lies that are perpetrated to secure package purchases will stop. As discussed, it's all I've encountered with Diamond Resorts both in Williamsburg and in Sedona. And people simply pass the buck and blame previous salespersons. It's sad. They have to live with themselves and what they've done... although they probably are hardened to the deception, because they are chasing the dollar. It's a very sad thing to not only see but more importantly to be the recipient of such snakish manipulation. But time and time again, it's happened. The ONLY time it did not happen was in Hawaii at the presentation I went to. But every other time, I've been lied to, deceived, embarrased, etc... (yes, called out as single in a group of couples and comments made on my appearance, etc.) many times ruining my short stays at the resorts.

I understand that the company has "policies" -- and I stand on the fact that the people that have dealt with me have not adhered to above-board policies. Like I said, it's been worse than dealing with used car salespeople. Seriously. And it's been a much bigger investment. And an on-going one.

I still do not undrestand why there can not be an exception made to my case. Let someone else buy my points and be happy with the company. And give me back 10,000 dollars. The company could STILL make money on the points. More than 10,000 dollars-- if what the sales people say is true about standardized point cost now.

I understand your new "meaning of yes" campaign. And I know the good press Diamond Resorts has gotten. The improvements that seemingly have been made. I have not enjoyed them. Like I said, I get bad rooms and lies dished out to me. And manipulation at every turn. I was even told that my "update" had been scheduled. Even though I didn't want one. I was told it would be an hour. And then while talking to the rep I got, she seemed surprised when I said an hour was up... and that it was just supposed to be an hour. HELLO!?! I ended up staying a whole lot longer ... and almost bought more (because of the buy back option if I did... that was most likely happening in Spring or Summer of 2013 at the latest.) HA!

I'm done with dealing with chamelions and snakes. Unfortunately, I believed the best about people and thought they were telling me the truth. Oh how I was sorely mis-led. For people who make more money than I do (and don't work three jobs to do so.....) maybe DRI is great. For me, it is not great at all.

Thank you again for your time. I hope that some changes occur as a result of our conversation and perhaps communication that is made with Williamsburg and Sedona. I know I am not the only one dealing with snake salespeople. It's very unfortunate, especially when that is not the reputation DRI wants to have. I'm so upset by all of this.

I'd like to take it to a higher level. LIKE THE CEO! He can buy my points back. He has enough money!

Thank you.

Zsa Zsa

Manipulation. Lies. More lies... to try to sell. It's time to MAKE RIGHT what has been made wrong, Mr. Cloobeck. I would appreciate not only a response, but some action to right what has been wronged. VERY WRONGED!!!! I've gotten very little value out of my package... and a lot of stress. And a lot of manipulation. Being told I didn't have a real package, I wasn't really a member of the Club unless I bought more points ? I didn't have access to membership on my 3,000 point package, etc. LIES LIES LIES. Told that you don't even sell small packages of 3,000 any more... and that the lowest you sell is 7,500. LIES LIES LIES. And if I reach 7,500, then I could do a company buy back. LIES LIES LIES. Really sir, with all due respect.... if you want to have a truly above board reputation, do the buy backs for all of us who have been scammed and lied to and manipulated. You have teams of manipulators and snakes, that I'm sure you wouldn't approve of. Or I would hope not. They are bringing in money... but they are doing it t a COST. My cost... and the cost of your company's reputation. I do hope and pray and expect response to this. I will not stop pushing in this direction. You can contact Casey Hansel for my membership information and to start movement towards doing a buy-back for me. Thank you for your time. I know it is valuable.

Zsa Z.
Dec 24, 2013

Amen! Anyone who says that the HOA makes the decisions about maintenance fee rates is not telling the truth, because the majority of board members on each HOA are either employed by DRI or are family members of this dishonest operation. This is how they maintain control and are able to raise maintenance fees even though the minority of board members disagree with them. It's all a set up!!! I feel like I'm in a concentration camp and the only way to get out is to die!!! Never ever get trapped by purchasing a timeshare from DRI. You'll regret it for the rest of your lives. Wake up people!!!

James K.
Dec 24, 2013

"The Meaning of Yes" is a joke. The only response I get from DRI is NO. NO buy back, NO that is our policy, NO, NO, NO.

Robert R.
Jan 02, 2014

I would like to join the dri facebook page but could not find it. Any help would be appreciated!

Peter H.
Jan 03, 2014

peterh329 wrote:
I would like to join the dri facebook page but could not find it. Any help would be appreciated!

Go to Facebook and search for Diamond Resorts Members. That should take you there.

Charles S.
Jan 04, 2014

This letter is to Bob the one who wrote all the horrible things about Steve cloobeck and the ugly things about his appearance on "undercover boss"....I saw that show and I honestly cried through the entire show.. I found it to be the best episode I've ever seen. I think you would have to be a heartless individual to have sat through that episode and not cried at how awesome he was to all the people that he helped. Im sure there was way more to the show other than the hour we all saw so I'm pretty sure he fixed the "sander" issue u have. Think about it logically, I'm sure he found several problems that never made it to the show and were also fixed. He didn't make it this far by cutting corners I'm sure. I have never responded to any negative talk on the internet before but I also have never seen a show where I was so overwhelmed I couldn't stop crying so I felt compelled to respond. I think Steve is the most giving and compassionate man ive ever seen and that show was awesome and it takes alot to impress me. You should think before you write such ugly things about other people.

Jennifer

Jennifer G.
Jan 20, 2014

Dear Steve, My husband and I watched your show undercover boss, I can't tell you how impressed I was with you. You obviously have been blessed, and as you stated "my family lives in a fairy tale". It is refreshing to see someone who really cares, after their dreams have been fulfilled. My husband and I retired in 2006, at the age of 50. Once I saw the show I thought it might be a great idea to have undercover guest at your resorts. This could be great to see how your employees relate to their guest, observe customer service, housekeeping and any other problems that could be addressed. We have been married for 39 years and we are so very happy. We both have management experience, and it feel this could be an excellent idea for you as well as ourselves. Just an idea. My phone number is 334-220-5868 if you think you might be interested.

Sincerely,

Kim Wood

robertr558 wrote:
Dear Steve,

I saw your Undercover Boss show. Thank you for sending me and email informing me when it would be shown. I also appreciated the survey you sent about how my image of you had improved after seeing the show. Unfortunately, it did not improve. Seeing your lavish and expensive lifestyle only made me think that I am paying for that with my maintenance fees, which have increased over 40% in the few years since you took over my resort. The fees are now so high that I could rent a week at a comparable or better place for a lot less. If you want me to think better of you, roll back the fees, sell the private jet and take commercial flights like the rest of us.

It also did not help that the show was so obviously contrived. All the employees you worked with had personal or work issues that you were able to solve in the end with a show of generosity. I am sure the intention was to show what a good guy you are. Maybe you are but the fees are killing me. And you missed the point with your maintenance person who did not have a power sander. It is very nice that you bought him this inexpensive tool. But as a leader of the company you should have been thinking how it could occur that he did not have the proper tools to do his job. You should not have to think of that. His supervisor should have thought of that and taken care of it so he was more efficient in his work. The only thing I can think of to explain why your maintenance man did not have a $50 tool needed to do his job is that the organizational culture is focused on reducing operational costs to the extreme. But that contradicts the reason you told me that you needed to increase my fees: to spend it on the improved maintenance and upkeep of my home property.

And now you are marketing the "Undercover Boss Special" on your web site! You seem to be using this to get more unsuspecting prospects to your resorts for the high-pressure sales pitch. I hope to educate people about the realities of timeshare ownership today. I paid ILX a lot of money a few years ago for a week that is now virtually worthless on the market. It was worthless the moment I signed the papers. I actually could pay somebody to take it of my hands. Now DRI is squeezing me for ever increasing "maintenance fees" and I can't do anything about it. You might even hit me with a "special assessment" of thousands of dollars as I hear you have done at one of your other resorts.

Would you buy it back from me, Steve? I understand DRI has no buy-back program but I figure I could ask you personally. I would be happy with half of what I paid for it.

Sincerely,

Bob

P.S. - Your disguise was terrible!

Kim W.
Jan 21, 2014

BOB: You hit a home run with your open letter. when I first got involved in a timeshare my maintenance fee was $680.00 a year with sunterra, in 2002. Now in 2014 the fee was to be $2,500. The only way we found to get out was to relinquish all use and rights for another fee of $250,00 and eat the total loss of all monies paied out. . It was better then to continue to pay and pay and PAY!!!!!!!!

LJA

L J.
Jan 21, 2014

lj94 wrote:
BOB: You hit a home run with your open letter. when I first got involved in a timeshare my maintenance fee was $680.00 a year with sunterra, in 2002. Now in 2014 the fee was to be $2,500. The only way we found to get out was to relinquish all use and rights for another fee of $250,00 and eat the total loss of all monies paied out. . It was better then to continue to pay and pay and PAY!!!!!!!!

LJA

Could you please elaborate on how you relinquished?

Was that fee $250.00 or $2500.00?

Was it points, trusts, or a deeded week you relinquished?

Did you get it in writing that you are no longer responsible, or are no longer affiliated with an ownership with DRI?

Please let us know more and how to get started.

Thank You! (Points owner US & Hawaii Trusts)

C S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.