Ask RedWeek

WYNDHAM:SHARKS...Canceled contract but won't cancel fradulent "down payment"

Nov 06, 2016

PRESSURED INTO GETTING 6K MORE? YOU NEED TO GET YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES ON AND SAY NO!!

Helen S.
Nov 06, 2016

I WOULD definitely check out an attorney recommended on a forum! JEEZ - How do you think groups like angie's list or home advisor gets their workers?

Helen S.

Last edited by phyl21 on Nov 06, 2016 06:59 PM

Nov 07, 2016

NEVER use an attorney that you " heard about " in the forum. Scammers troll the forums looking for victims. There is no comparison between a service that screens their workers and a shill that promotes a scam on the internet.

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract !!

Don P.
Nov 14, 2016

Do you by chance have jennifer masons email address?

Kenneth C.
Feb 16, 2017

What two firms? Did i miss that?

Bobby S.
Apr 11, 2017

angelar285 need your help... My husband and I were also victims...tricked to sign a contract with Westin Vacations. Later on discovered several misreps and lies but too late to cancel. Sent several emails, letters even to the top officers, filed a case with BBB, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Federal Trade Commission...they're all useless. Nothing happened. The crooks are fighting back and will not cancel the contract. So desperate to get out of this stressful mess and worried about my credit (which I took very good care of) getting hurt so badly bec of refusing to make payments. PLEASE HELP!!!

Jcel S.
Apr 12, 2017

chichii wrote:
Nothing happened. The crooks are fighting back and will not cancel the contract. So desperate to get out of this stressful mess and worried about my credit (which I took very good care of) getting hurt so badly bec of refusing to make payments. PLEASE HELP!!!

How long ago did you stop making payments? And were those payments for the mortgage or for maintenance fees?

Just be careful not to hire some company that claims it can "cancel" your mortgage and timeshare. Also, the fact that they lied to you and misrepresented sadly does not give you any leverage. Even if you do take this to court, the defendants will point out that you signed a contract and what is written in the contract will overturn whatever the sales people told you.

Lance C.
Apr 12, 2017

The initial payments were made thru my cc but are still on dispute. never made any payments after. so technically we haven't put out any money yet. what do you suggest we do?

Jcel S.
Apr 13, 2017

If you haven't put any money out yet, I would cancel the credit card so that those sales people can not access it or your new one.

Lance C.
Apr 14, 2017

I've no problem with my cc, they're already blocked and will not be able to charge anything more. My main concern is terminating the contract.

Jcel S.
Apr 17, 2017

chichii wrote:
I've no problem with my cc, they're already blocked and will not be able to charge anything more. My main concern is terminating the contract.

Please don't shoot the messenger, but you voluntarily entered into a valid, legally binding contract and subsequently failed to rescind (cancel) that contract during the time period provided to every timeshare buyer who purchases from a developer, by applicable state law.

At this late date, there is no avenue by which you can unilaterally "terminate" the contract. You can ask Wyndham to release you from the contract, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for a positive response. They will most likely just point out that you signed a contract and that the time period provided by law to cancel (rescind) that contract has since expired.

Cancelling the credit card has absolutely no effect on the validity of the contract you signed. If you don't want to (or can't) pay off the contract, you may have no choice other than to default and take the credit hit. There are no magical means by which to just unilaterally "terminate" a valid, legally binding contract without the cooperation of the other party.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 19, 2017 05:16 PM

Apr 19, 2017

Can anyone help me with this? calling on angelar285.

Jcel S.
Jun 20, 2017

Where should we look then?

Sara M.
Jun 21, 2017

chichii wrote:
Can anyone help me with this?

If you submitted your rescission (cancellation) in writing and under signature to the correct address, as specifically instructed within your contract documents, within the time period identified by applicable state law (3-10 days, depending on the individual state), then your contract MUST be cancelled and 100% of your deposit MUST be refunded to you. However, it is possible that it could (lawfully) take up to 45 days for the issuance of your refund, even if you submitted the rescission (cancellation) properly and in time.

Did you meet ALL of the VERY specific rescission (cancellation) requirements listed above?

If so, are you now past 45 days without receiving any issuance of a refund?

In what state did this contract execution take place?

If you did not file a rescission request, in writing, within the specific time period identified by individual state law, you are now just plain out of luck. I sincerely hope that is NOT the case.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 21, 2017 05:00 PM

Jun 22, 2017

yes but redweek doesn't let us give a phone number or name any companies

Sara M.
Jun 22, 2017

saram280 wrote:
yes but redweek doesn't let us give a phone number or name any companies

Hmm, that's funny. In many of my posts, I list My Resort Network, E-Bay, Craigslist, and Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG") as reputable sites for people to list their units they want to sell or give away. I used to mention Bid Shares until they went out of business.

And by the way, the above-mentioned websites are recommended by many as a means of unloading their timeshares without having to pay some questionable or scam company thousands of dollars to "cancel" their timeshares.

Lance C.
Jun 23, 2017

Thank you Lancec13!!!!

Sara M.
Jul 22, 2017

I own at Coral Sands unit is paid for but I don't want to continue with maintenance fees and want to know how to get rids of this headache.

Teresa
Jul 22, 2017

teresad239 wrote:
I own at Coral Sands unit is paid for but I don't want to continue with maintenance fees and want to know how to get rids of this headache.

If it's a Mexican Right-to-Use (RTU), then it is possible that you can get out of it by simply stopping paying your membership fees. The resort or Coral Sands might report you to a credit agency but that's the risk you take.

The other possibility (which will take a little more time and work) is to list it for a dollar or even free. You can perhaps offer to pay the closing costs and the next maintenance fees.

Lance C.
Jul 24, 2017

teresad239 wrote:

This post should probably be in a different thread of its' own, but are you referring to Coral Sands in Hilton Head, SC? I seem to recall reading somewhere recently that Coral Sands (isn't it now actually a part of or a precursor to something now called Palmera Vacation Club?) might require big bucks to agree to accept a "deedback" --- if they will do so at all.

You can always attempt to give your timeshare away to a new, willing, legitimate "grantee" by offering it in the "Bargain Deals" section of Timeshare Users Group (http://www.tug2.net). I don't claim to know whether or not what you own actually has any resale value or market demand; that would depend at least in part upon the unit size, season of your week --- and the annual maintenance fee amount. Provide ALL of those important and relevant details if you later decide to offer it over in the TUG "Bargain Deals". Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 28, 2017 04:00 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.