Ask RedWeek

Interval international non-rental claus

Sep 14, 2012

I just received a surprise message from Interval international. They informed me that the week that I have advertised on REd Week is a violation of their rules and regulations. I have a confirmed week at Caribbean palms in Aruba which I have listed for sale on your website. I guess it's my responsibility to know the rules and regulations of interval international but I must say that I was surprised. I think red week has some obligation to warn those who have weeks with interval international that they're trying to sell that they are in violation intervals rules.

Fred G.
Sep 16, 2012

fred221 wrote:
I just received a surprise message from Interval international. They informed me that the week that I have advertised on REd Week is a violation of their rules and regulations. I have a confirmed week at Caribbean palms in Aruba which I have listed for sale on your website. I guess it's my responsibility to know the rules and regulations of interval international but I must say that I was surprised. I think red week has some obligation to warn those who have weeks with interval international that they're trying to sell that they are in violation intervals rules.

If I understand you correctly, you have a week listed on Redweek that you have exchanged for via II. It's against II and RCI rules and regulations to rent an exchanged week. I'm sure that is stated somewhere here on Redweek.

R P.
Sep 16, 2012

Below is the message on Redweek under 'Sell or Rent Your Timeshare' questions and answers .... both RCI and II peruse timeshare ad sites for such abuses:

Can I rent out the week I received on exchange from RCI or II?

No, both companies prohibit this practice. Next time, post your timeshare for rent instead of giving it to RCI or II.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Sep 16, 2012 08:57 AM

Oct 09, 2012

what is RED Week's policy on renting exchange weeks to friends

Winston B.

Last edited by winbett on Oct 09, 2012 07:40 PM

Oct 10, 2012

I disagree with your blaming Redweek.How would redweek know if the week you rent is II or RCI? It is your own responsibility.

I strongly disagree with II and RCI policies though. You still pay for the maintenances; you also pay their exchange fees ($199) and their cost to belong to their company and guest fees.. You should be able to do whatever you want with the week you deposit and the one you get in the exchange. This is why we need another avenue other than the money hungry RCI and II exchange companies.

Don't deposit with them anymore. Put your week on redweek directly and trade with another Redweek owner. Screw the exchange companies.

Jakes mom
Oct 10, 2012

I agree. We pay for it , it should be ours to do with as we please . Are we not told "You own this"? I have 12 dream weeks I want to rent out but seems no bites so far. Very flexible on cost.

alldolledup wrote:
I disagree with your blaming Redweek.How would redweek know if the week you rent is II or RCI? It is your own responsibility.

I strongly disagree with II and RCI policies though. You still pay for the maintenances; you also pay their exchange fees ($199) and their cost to belong to their company and guest fees.. You should be able to do whatever you want with the week you deposit and the one you get in the exchange. This is why we need another avenue other than the money hungry RCI and II exchange companies.

Don't deposit with them anymore. Put your week on redweek directly and trade with another Redweek owner. Screw the exchange companies.

John F.
Oct 10, 2012

I too have run into this problem. I had reserved a week through RCI in Orlando, but due to health problems was not able to go. I had been warned of the RCI rules and was able to send a friend. Shame on RCI & II for this rule, but is there anything that we as owners can do to get the rules changed. Or as others have stated just the list the resort that we own with Redweek and skip RCI. Redweek is certainly not to blame for this. Thank you Redweek for your service. I have recomended you to lots of owners.

Donna B.
Oct 10, 2012

Same thing happened to me. I was shocked also since I had rented comfirmed weeks through II on red week in the past without any problems. I thought it was because II has lost a lot of marriott weeks . Marriott has gone to an optional point system and now those owners go through Marriott and not II thus reducing the available Marriott weeks through II.

Monica D.
Oct 10, 2012

One partial solution to your problem might have been the purchase of cancellation protection. I know it's available on RCI points bookings. Not sure about exchanges or II.

donnab261 wrote:
I too have run into this problem. I had reserved a week through RCI in Orlando, but due to health problems was not able to go. I had been warned of the RCI rules and was able to send a friend. Shame on RCI & II for this rule, but is there anything that we as owners can do to get the rules changed. Or as others have stated just the list the resort that we own with Redweek and skip RCI. Redweek is certainly not to blame for this. Thank you Redweek for your service. I have recomended you to lots of owners.

John P.
Oct 10, 2012

I am in the points system with RCI with a home week in Aruba. RCI has my points and I have to call to reserve my home week if I am going to use it. If I want to rent my week (home week or use my points in RCI) will I be able to do this?

Darlene G.
Oct 10, 2012

So you can not give your week to II but just post on redweek? So you bypass II fees but if you want to exchange you have to go thru II? Thank you

Marie C.
Oct 10, 2012

The same goes for RCI, if you deposit your week you cannot rent it out. The only way you an do that is do a guest certificate which cost you the exchange fee plus $75. Best to check with RCI, not exactly sure if you book the resort or your guest books through RCI. Anyways it gets complicated. Best thing is to not deposit into RCI. The time you pay the membership fees, exchange, maintence you do not make anything. The system is not in our favor as owners. We have one timeshare points week that is automaticly in RCI, if I want to use my home week I have to call RCI outside of my window to book it. I do not think I can even take it out of RCI to put on Redweek. My weeks timeshare I do rent out on Redweek.

Carol S.
Oct 11, 2012

darleneg13 wrote:
I am in the points system with RCI with a home week in Aruba. RCI has my points and I have to call to reserve my home week if I am going to use it. If I want to rent my week (home week or use my points in RCI) will I be able to do this?

Yes, if you reserve your home week and then rent it out that is perfectly fine, however if you deposit your points into RCI with the intention of exchanging and you try to rent that exchange then that is not allowed ... just make sure a contract is in place signed by both you and the renter stipulating all the terms of the rental and then call the resort and inform them of the renter's name.

R P.
Oct 11, 2012

I would check with the resort that you own with. I know several resorts are that way now, and I would be curious as to how that would work.

Donna B.
Oct 12, 2012

How can you blame Redweek? They even post the exchange company rules here!

I appreciate these RCI and II rules. These are the rules we all received on purchase and are on the web site that we all agree to when we become members. (Why were you surprised?) The intent is to keep [dishonest members] from taking a bunch of prime exchanges and renting them out instead of having them available for members to exchange into. I do not want others booking prime weeks to make a profit off of when members can't get many of the exchanges they want. btw... being busted doing this can have your membership cancelled and you can even be banned for life! Just because one gets away with doing this once doesn't make it ok. This time you got caught by RCI/II and now your membership is flagged to be watched. Good luck! I think you just got stuck with a bunch of weeks YOU didn't want and now have to pay for yourself.

RCI scalps enough of the deposit inventory for their own rental avenues (another issue) - we don't need others doing it.

If you want to buy a prime week and rent it out - all the power to you! Stay the hell away from the exchange pools. They are for members use.

Ron D.

Last edited by rond186 on Oct 30, 2012 09:00 AM

Oct 12, 2012

Some of those prime weeks, you want to grab, are weeks other members deposit Some of those prime properties will disappear from RCI and II completely because people can rent the on Redweek and then pay someone else for a week they want somewhere else, without the cost and interference from II and RCI (I own Aruba properties which will not become available anymore to anyone unless RCI and II change their stupid policy). I for one will never put my good properties in anymore. If RCI holds some for rental and does so, why should owners not be able to do that too.

Jakes mom
Oct 12, 2012

alldolledup wrote:
Some of those prime weeks, you want to grab, are weeks other members deposit Some of those prime properties will disappear from RCI and II completely because people can rent the on Redweek and then pay someone else for a week they want somewhere else, without the cost and interference from II and RCI (I own Aruba properties which will not become available anymore to anyone unless RCI and II change their stupid policy). I for one will never put my good properties in anymore. If RCI holds some for rental and does so, why should owners not be able to do that too.

Because you signed on with the exchange company including their Rules and Regulations .... if you don't want to follow II and RCI's rules and regulations then don't do business with them .... simple as that. I don't condone their renting of deposits but when you deposit a week then it's theirs to do with as they wish according to their regulations.

R P.
Oct 12, 2012

jayjay wrote:
Because you signed on with the exchange company including their Rules and Regulations .... if you don't want to follow II and RCI's rules and regulations then don't do business with them .... simple as that. I don't condone their renting of deposits but when you deposit a week then it's theirs to do with as they wish according to their regulations.

It is as simple as that. These guys that get busted usually aren't the ones who do it once because of illness or something else. Those people get educated, maybe they lose that one exchange, and are sent on their way. It is the guys doing high volumes ([potentially] 12 getaways a month in the above case + exchanges) that have memberships suspended or cancelled and then receive life time banishment. There are several sellers on Ebay that are commented about regularly on TUG that are (to be nice) very likely exchanges. They often have hundreds of "rentals" before they are shut down.

I will say I have "gifted" a week to a friend because of something that interrupted my family plans, but I certainly do not make a business out of it. If I want to rent out units I can do so all I want with my Starwood units. I know several people who do it, cover their annual MFs, and use the extra weeks themselves, essentially for free. Listing a guest on a reservation is fully permitted under Starwood rules and there is no restriction as to the arrangement. There is that restriction with II and RCI.

If you do not play by the rules....

[I would HIGHLY suspect that the prior poster knows exchanges are limited to 12/yr/unit for a reason too!]

Ron D.

Last edited by rond186 on Oct 12, 2012 11:35 AM

Oct 28, 2012

I beg to differ with many of you!!!! I am not "slime", and have not done this with a ton of weeks or even "12" weeks year after year. I just read all of these posts and am shocked at how quickly some of you judge others in such a negative manner. I just posted a rental a few weeks ago for an "off week" at the Marriott at Myrtle Beach which we had traded our prime Hawaii property for just because my husband and I wanted to go to the Myrtle Beach property. However, my mom's health is not real good and we have since decided we better try and rent it because we aren't sure whether or not we should leave her. Because we tried to rent this on II ONE time (first time, not slime, and not repeat offenders to all of you judgmental people!) and we weren't aware of all of the rules since we joined II in 1994 and have not read the rules very often, we now received an email from II telling us that we had to remove our rental posting. (We did so immediately.) While I don't agree AT ALL with II's rule and may even be looking for another exchange company even though we have been members for 18 years, I also have learned what SOME of my fellow Red Week owners are really like (such as Rond) AND I surely hope that I never rent or purchase from those of you who posted such negative judements about people you don't even know! (We have been members for many years and have rented out our own properties to RedWeek members and have rented properties from other members but haven't read these blogs until now, so am just learning what some people are like.) Saddened by what I have read from some of you....hope you are ready for people to call you slime when you don't deserve it!

Kathy W.

Last edited by kathyw84 on Oct 28, 2012 07:56 PM

Oct 29, 2012

Kathy,

If you read the entirety of the post and the post immediately above your own you should understand that the term slime refers to people who do this on a regular basis and, as I said, "regularly exchange into prime weeks and rent them out to non-members". I suspect some who have posted above (and even use this forum to promote rentals) qualify into that group. There are many on ebay and other places who do so and do it as a means of profiting from operating outside the rules.

From your description you would not fit into that group. It seems you may fit into the group I previously described "ones who do it once because of illness or something else. Those people get educated, maybe they lose that one exchange, and are sent on their way." You were educated and you brought yourself into compliance with the rules. Unlike these repeat offenders you did as requested and removed your rental listing. You did not change your log in name or go to another site and try to rent it again. It is the habitual offenders I take issue with, not you.

The OP also attempted to blame Red Week. "I think red week has some obligation to warn those who have weeks with interval international that they're trying to sell that they are in violation intervals rules." When the exchange company rules are clearly posted on the site even though they have no obligation to inform someone of another entities rules to which they agreed as a condition of membership.

If you do not agree with II and RCI's rules then you do not have to deposit with them. It is that simple. You may use or dispose of your week AT YOUR HOME PROPERTY as you see fit, subject to their rules. (On this point I agree). It is once you enter the exchange company system that one has to abide by their rules. Did you talk with an II rep and see what your options would be with them? In the past I have had to cancel exchange weeks and was treated fairly.

There are other independent exchange companies out there that would appreciate your business. A few even have little or no membership fee. THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS AVAILABLE, including Red Week. However, you can not deposit or exchange a unit received as an exchange from RCI or II with them.

In addition, I have been called a lot worse than slime and my skin is thick enough that those references had no effect. Please read the posts in full and in context. You erroneously included yourself in a group described to which (from your own description) you do not belong.

Ron D.

Last edited by rond186 on Oct 29, 2012 06:59 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.