Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Anyone know anything about Finn Law Group?

Nov 08, 2016

"I believe Finn Law Group has a 5,000 square foot brick and mortar office with 20+ employees." JULIE204, I took your advice from your previous reply(see above) and googled the BBB. Seems they are no longer in Michigan ! They are now in Largo, fl.( maybe there is more ambulances there) I find it hard to believe the 5,000 sq. ft. building also, along with the 20+ employees. A 5,000 sq. ft. building would be about the size of the Wal-Mart in the keys. Have you actually been there? have you met with these people face to face?

In looking at them on the BBB, they haven't been there that long, They do have an A+ rating, but they are not accredited, and have no favorable, but they do have 1 complaint(guess what for). I'm sure the complaining party had it all wrong, in what they expected.

As for don.......I agree with him........NEVER PAY ANYONE UP FRONT TO GET RID OF YOUR TIME SHARE.

William P.
Nov 09, 2016

By all means if anyone wants to throw away $ 3,000 go right ahead It doesn't bother me one bit. Why pay someone to do something you can do yourself for free.

Lawyers are the lowest form of life on this earth. All they care about is making money. They take your money and then the excuses start coming in . If you fell that you need the assistance of a law firm there are plenty of competent attorney offices right where you live. Why on earth would someone use an attorney they " heard about " on the internet that is far away from where you live .

Read all the horror stories about people who sent money to someone they " heard about " on the internet and maybe you won't be the next victim .

Don P.
Nov 09, 2016

I spent 13 years as a "partner" of a lawyer. When it ended, I realized that I was really an "employee." Lawyers know how to shade their intentions - and the truth. However, we need lawyers to complete some of our most important transactions. Don, you have noticed how scammers liker MTS actually infiltrate the complaint sites to ply their trade. They are all over. You will also notice that Finn Law Group does not do the same. They have an actual office in Largo Florida, and they are active in consumer lawsuits (including class actions). There are actual positive comments on their results on a number of websites. Are they worth what they charge? I cannot fashion a guess. If I owed $20,000 to a timeshare company, I might be tempted to call them. I don't.

If one were to go to the current issue of www.insidethegate.com, you will see an opinion article written by Michael Finn, which chastises the timeshare industry for not encouraging a better resale market. It is well-written and informative. Having seen them suing some of the biggest timeshare companies over unfair tactics, I consider them to be one of the good guys. But since I am a student of timeshare and not a victim - I will never need the Finn Law Group.

John I.
Feb 16, 2017

would you take money to settle mine?

Bobby S.
Feb 17, 2017

"Settle"? You can't "settle" a valid, legally binding, voluntarily entered contractual obligation.

Finn Law Group is a real and completely legitimate law firm, located in Largo, Florida. I have personally met attorney Michael Finn after he address a group of timeshare owners and I will be doing so once again in Sarasota in just a few weeks. Michael Finn certainly seems to me to be a sincere consumer advocate. HOWEVER, no attorney on the planet possess any secret potions or any other mysterious , hidden processes that can or will somehow provide a magical escape from a valid, legally binding contractual obligation. NONE. Period, amen. Mike Finn does not claim to be an exception. All he can do is negotiate an exit --- and you WILL have to pay for that legal representation; his law firm is not a charity. The fact that ARDA dislikes Mike Finn is a badge of honor and a compliment, as far as I am concerned.

Legal representation in matters of provable outright fraud or contract non-performance is one thing. Magically extracting someone from a valid and legally binding contractual obligation into which they freely and voluntarily chose to enter is a very different matter --- and any such "magic act" is simply not going to occur.

Throwing money at others in a desperate but ultimately futile attempt to escape a legal obligation WON'T alter these facts. It doesn't matter whether that money gets thrown at attorneys or thrown at any of the (far too many) useless "exit / relief / escape / release" outfits out there falsely promising "magic for money". There ain't no magic --- and the only "disappearing act" will be the sender's money disappearing from their bank account, with no results except a decrease in their bank account balance. Forewarned is forearmed.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 09, 2017 09:54 AM

Feb 17, 2017

donp196 wrote:
Lawyers are the lowest form of life on this earth. All they care about is making money. They take your money and then the excuses start coming in.

I respectfully submit that this is an unfair and unfounded "broad brush" statement. As someone who reportedly worked in law enforcement for 30 years, you might possibly recall that it was honest, competent and dedicated prosecuting attorneys (probably Assistant District Attorneys or "ADA's") who got your "collars" convicted in court (and sometimes sent to prison) and who, on more than a few occasions, very likely had to try to salvage bungled police work and / or mishandled evidence while staying focused upon successfully prosecuting the case at hand. I know a few such people --- quite well and personally --- some of whom NEVER worked in (or ever wanted to work in) the private sector as garden variety lawyers. In short, as is usually the case, there is no "one size fits all" blanket statement that is universally true or accurate. You really should know better here Don, in view of your professed years of experience reportedly working in law enforcement.

Moreover, some of the upfront fee timeshare "exit / relief / escape/ release" operations actually have NO real lawyers in the first place. Some merely adopt impressive sounding company names IMPLYING that they have and use licensed attorneys in their "operations". I could overtly and specifically name a few such "operations", but I'm frankly not interested in having to answer a frivolous, retaliatory legal action falsely accusing me of libel.

In any event, we would both surely agree that it is a fool's errand and a complete waste of time and money to pay ANY upfront money to ANY entity to pursue the (ultimately futile) search for a magical "escape" from a valid and legally binding contractual obligation which someone has willingly and voluntarily CHOSEN to take on. I empathize and feel their pain, but that unfortunate decision was their own CHOICE ---- so who is really at fault here?

The sad and unfortunate fact is that most people are completely unaware that there is resale market, where the exact same timeshares can be purchased from existing owners for pennies on the dollar, compared to the exorbitant and truly obscene prices of the lying and deceitful on-site sales weasels. Further, people buying from developers don't even bother to read their contract paperwork, which clearly informs them that they can cancel the contract (cancellation time period varies from 3 days to 10 days in the U.S., depending on the individual state --- I believe it's 5 days in Mexico). How do you successfully get the word out when people make a developer purchase BEFORE doing ANY homework first --- and then don't even bother to read their rescission (cancellation) rights, provided to them in writing at contract execution, as required by law? Unhappy with their decision later, they learn too late that it's pointless to close the barn door AFTER the horse is already gone.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 28, 2017 03:44 PM

Feb 19, 2017

Arent they all fraudulent. I can go down the list off every law groups website and check yes on all the fraudulent practices we were duped by. On top of that we were never able to take care of any of the MANY perks that lured us in. All of them for not being able to get any dates available. Then we finally take a vacation to what we thought was an exclusice resort and met someone who bought their weekend on craigslist. Not to mention the three hour upgrade meeting that left my wife crying....so stuff your legally binding contract! We were raped and didnt even get a kiss

Bobby S.
Feb 23, 2017

This advice is golden. i contacted a local lawyer and he is taking the case for much lower money. He told me he used to work for places like the groups wanting up front money. he was what he called an "outhouse lawyer" he would get his money to do what he did and the places he worked with would keep the rest. He said his services were way cheaper than what they were charging. What DonP196 is stating is good advice. at least if you are going forth with this, its best to contact someone local that you can see has an actual business address that you can walk into. thanks Don!

Bobby S.
Feb 26, 2017

William 511 I know a lot about Finn Law Group. I have been to their office many times. I can assure you the offices are not plush. I met RedWeek journalist Jeff Weir there. When people have loans they are not eligible for a voluntary surrender. Some worry about their credit rating. Others have a hard time withstanding the 90 full time collection agents Diamond employs via a dealer making 100,000 calls a week (as reported by Kroll Bond Rating Agency). Finn Law Group filed a class action against Bluegreen Resorts. The result was they were able to get foreclosures knocked down to "Settled For Less", a more favorable report on a credit report. In a case like this, the law firm makes little money. Finn Law Group maintains approximately 500 timeshare cases. About 20 to 25% percent are against Diamond Resorts. Diamond has a new DRI Consumer Advocacy Group. Mike for free has on several occasions reviewed cases I, as a volunteer, have advocated for release or refund due to deceptive selling. To date, I have worked with 32 families and 10 have received refunds or surrenders without hiring an attorney. Previously, I could only propose people without loans but I am encouraged, hoping DRI Consumer Advocacy will consider also helping people with loans who bought a DRI product by being deceived. I am one of them although I don't have a loan. We were told to buy DRI points because they were adding NY hotels. Our daughter lives NYC. Little did I know it would take $10,000 in Diamond maintenance fee dollars to stay at the hotel when booking online would cost $2400. I have been offered our money back by DRI but refused as it means I could no longer publish articles about problems with timeshare mentioning Diamond due to the CNDA. It would not be fair to the other timeshare companies I write about. Go to Finn Law Group website and read some of the "Learning Center" articles. Mike Finn is beyond the average age to retire. He stays in the game and often says, "Let My People Go". Here is a local Florida TV interview with one of his clients, not released from a Diamond contract for eight years until the TV reporter called. The client had been diagnosed with a medical condition and never used his points. As Mike says, timeshare attorneys tell him, "Hardship is not a legal defense. You're a lawyer. You should know that." I hope someone complains about the 50 aggregate hours DRI former COB Cloobeck was allowed on the most expensive aircraft in the fleet along with the Diamond flight crew for non-business use. He was one of three executives with access to executive aircraft. Only the developer knows how many request a surrender and how many are actually released. I would be happy to meet you at the Finn Law Group office in Largo to discuss your concerns. http://www.clickorlando.com/news/investigators/timeshare-woes-for-one-man-who-tried-to-cancel-after-an-illness

Irene P.
Mar 21, 2017

I personally met and spoke with attorney Mike Finn this past Sunday 3/20/17 at a timeshare owners group meeting in Sarasota, FL. A personable guy and a dedicated consumer advocate, Mike is a Florida attorney based in Largo, FL. He is very knowledgeable, very articulate and is NO fan of deceitful developers (or their group organization, called ARDA).

That being said, attorney Finn will be the first to tell you bluntly and honestly that no attorney is a "magician" with any mystical powers to somehow extricate someone from a valid timeshare contract which they freely and voluntarily executed. He might be willing to tackle SOME transactions in which a solid case might be able to be made for fraud or "concealment" in the original transaction, but he would never falsely tell anyone that he (or ANY other attorney) possesses any magic beans or secret potions. Someone belatedly experiencing "buyers remorse" years after making a voluntary timeshare purchase may now have regrets about their previous personal decision and choice --- but remorse and regret alone certainly do NOT in any way constitute sufficient basis to prevail in a lawsuit. Finn can negotiate on an owner's behalf, but he is not a Magician" --- and does not claim to be.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 09, 2017 09:59 AM

Jul 07, 2017

Hi Bobby,

Can you share your local lawyer's information please?

bobbys86 wrote:
This advice is golden. i contacted a local lawyer and he is taking the case for much lower money. He told me he used to work for places like the groups wanting up front money. he was what he called an "outhouse lawyer" he would get his money to do what he did and the places he worked with would keep the rest. He said his services were way cheaper than what they were charging. What DonP196 is stating is good advice. at least if you are going forth with this, its best to contact someone local that you can see has an actual business address that you can walk into. thanks Don!

Alisa G.
Jul 08, 2017

We don't promote any particular business or law firm in the forum. Just make a call to your state bar association and ask for one in your area. You want an attorney where you live that you can actually walk into their office and speak with someone. NEVER use an attorney that you " heard about " on the internet .

Don P.
Jul 12, 2017

I can tell you this...I have asked my resort in Virginia beach to take their deed back and they told me it's not something they do...I've attempted to sell it twice and been scammed. I've tried to find attornies to help me but most don't do that type of specialty. So what am I to do with a timeshare I can't afford and haven't made payments on and they want foreclose on me?

Jessica R.

Last edited by jessicar315 on Jul 12, 2017 08:49 AM

Jul 12, 2017

So what was the business name of the local lawyer you hired?

Jessica R.

Last edited by jessicar315 on Jul 12, 2017 08:47 AM

Jul 12, 2017

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your timeshare especially some law firm that you " heard about : on the internet .

Don P.
Jul 17, 2017

jessicar315 wrote:
I have asked my resort in Virginia beach to take their deed back and they told me it's not something they do...I've attempted to sell it twice and been scammed. I've tried to find attornies to help me but most don't do that type of specialty. So what am I to do with a timeshare I can't afford and haven't made payments on and they want foreclose on me?

NO resort is ever REQUIRED to accept a deedback. Some will, but most won't. It's a individual resort HOA decision. Any HOA accepting "deedbacks" will obviously first require that the timeshare be fully paid off and that all maintenance fees are completely up to date --- sometimes even requiring ADVANCE payment of a year or two of maintenance fees.

I have met Mike Finn in FL and he is is a competent and honest attorney and a strong consumer advocate, but the fact remains that NO attorney possesses any secret process by which to magically get someone out of a legally binding contractual obligation. Period.

If you cannot afford your timeshare or its' fees, simply allowing them to foreclose is always an option, although one in which you will lose ALL of the money paid in so far and there will most likely be a negative credit report "hit" if there was a loan involved on which you default. You really can't even give a timeshare away for free if there are still unpaid maintenance fees or a unpaid loan balance.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 18, 2017 04:47 AM

Jul 20, 2017

As of yesterday, our Advocates (all volunteer) have assisted in $723,452. in loan cancellations and refunds. Diamond Resorts has been cooperative. I email the complaint, once denied, to the AG reviewer involved, the President's office of Barclay's Bank who has remarkably followed up on some complaints, the DRI CEO Team, NTOA and ARDA's General Counsel for violating ARDA's Code of Ethics. Mike Finn has often given a quote and reviewed cases but he has lost far more business than he has been referred after DRI resolves without Mike being retained. Our Advocacy group efforts achieved the amount above without any legal fees and that benefits the member and DRI. Out of 71 formal complaints there have been 24 positive outcomes. This is the link to our Advocacy group Facebook that I feel has some of the most brilliant minds in timeshare all working towards Timeshare Reform as it is an industry that is shooting itself in the foot. Yesterday the person who contacted me said they were told if they upgraded to Silver their airfare would be included in their booking! It's out of control. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiamondResortsOwnersAdvocacy/

Irene P.

Last edited by irenep59 on Jul 20, 2017 01:53 PM

Dec 08, 2017

Has anyone been successful using Finn Law?

Sonja S.
Dec 08, 2017

sonjas38 wrote:

Successful in doing what? Selling a timeshare? Renting one out? "Canceling" a timeshare? Suing a developer? Negotiating a deed back?

Keep in mind that, even though FLG is a licensed legitimate law firm, there are things that it can and cannot do so you need to be more specific.

Lance C.
Dec 09, 2017

sonjas38 wrote:

There are 99 individual posts in this thread about Finn Law Group; have you READ them?

Let's cut to the chase here. You can hire Mike Finn for legal representation to negotiate a mutually acceptable exit from the legally binding contractual obligations of your timeshare ownership --- no more, no less. If you hire Finn, it WILL cost you a few thousand dollars; he is not a charity. If you still have a unpaid loan balance or other unpaid fees, don't even bother contacting him. He is a very capable attorney and extremely knowledgeable about the timeshare industry. He is much disliked and feared by ARDA (resort developers association) --- but he is NOT a magician and he does NOT possess any "magic beans" or "secret elixirs". That's the bottom line, plainly and simply stated. If you are looking for magic, keep looking--- the famous escape artist Harry Houdini has been dead for a long time.

You can stop paying maintenance fees and / or loan payments and face default and foreclosure (and negative credit report consequences) if you want "out" without spending ANY more money. *IF* (and ONLY if) you have no unpaid loan balance and your maintenance fees are fully paid up to date, you can try to give away the timeshare for free, offering to pay all closing and transfer costs yourself, and / or you can (and should) contact your resort HOA to see if they will accept a "deedback".

Paying ANY upfront fee "escape / relief / exit / rescue" company is a complete waste of time and money. They will gladly take your money, but they will accomplish ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and you will STILL own the timeshare until foreclosure occurs sometime later.

This is the plain and simple truth, whether welcome or not, with no sugar coating.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 11, 2017 05:03 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.