Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Anyone know anything about Finn Law Group?

Feb 16, 2018

Has anyone used this company and actually got out of the contract and possibly money back. Thanks for any advice

Pat G.
Feb 16, 2018

patg247 wrote:
Has anyone used this company and actually got out of the contract and possibly money back. Thanks for any advice

I have personally met Michael Finn on several occasions and he is a very good attorney and a strong consumer advocate. He knows as much (or more) about the inner workings of the timeshare industry as anyone I've ever met in my 35 + years of association with timeshares. The fact that timeshare developers don't like Mike Finn speaks well for him in and of itself; he is willing to expose their "man behind the curtain" practices and take them on in battle when appropriate.

That being said, Mike Finn is an attorney --- not a magician. There are NO magical escapes from a legally binding obligation into which you freely and voluntarily CHOSE to enter.

Mike Finn might represent you if you want to pay him to attempt to negotiate a release from your contractual obligation. His legal services will cost you money and understand very clearly right upfront that you are certainly NOT getting any money back in ANY scenario --- with or without legal representation. The best that you can hope for is a negotiated release from your contractual legal obligation. If there is a unpaid loan involved, all bets are off; legal representation cannot and will not make that debt somehow just magically disappear.

You would be well advised to contact Finn's office in Largo, FL to find out for yourself if he would even be willing to represent you at all in your particular situation. If he can't help you, he'll tell you so. He's a busy guy and he is certainly not hungry for your business.

By the way, if your timeshare is fully paid off and your fees are completely up to date, the FIRST thing you should do is look into the possibility of a "deedback" to your resort by contacting your HOA directly. You don’t need ANY middleman to help you do that. However, if you have a unpaid loan or unpaid maintenance fee bills, “deedback” is not an available option.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get involved with ANY of the (too many) useless upfront fee “exit / relief / escape / rescue” operations. Very few of those parasites even have or use licensed attorneys in the first place. In my opinion, the “exit” parasites are all just expensive and useless opportunists who won’t ever actually accomplish anything —- except to take your money and then just let you ultimately be foreclosed upon. If you are already willing to let foreclosure occur, then you don’t actually have to pay anyone a penny anyhow. Foreclosure is inevitable at some point after you stop paying maintenance fees. Be smart. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 18, 2018 07:41 AM

Feb 18, 2018

Although I didn't use them at the end and went with another attorney, I was down to Finn Law and the other one I chose. They seem really good and I think if I would've gone with them they would've worked just as good as the attorney I used. I did end up getting out of my contract, thank God!!! And yes, I still had money owed on it. It was only a year old when I decided I needed out. No, I didn't get any money back and I was told there was no way I get it either. At the end of the day I didn't care and was just very happy to be out of the contract. Good luck! And the attorney I used was Austin Aaronson, but again, I think Finn Law would have been able to do it too.

Francesca A.
Feb 19, 2018

Finn law group is actually very capable of helping you whether you still owe money on your timeshare or not. Although they will charge a little more if you still owe it will be better if you still owe. Lets say you still owe $10,000 on your timeshare and Finn law group wants charge you $3,000 to legally terminate your contract. Instead of making more payments to the scam you have been roped into signing up for you make the payments to Finn Law Group.

Finn law group is a law firm and Mike Finn is a member of both the Florida and the Michigan bar and has been an attorney for 49 years. There's NO possible way a law firm can be a scam. Mike Finn doesn't so much of have any disciplinary actions taken against him with either Florida or Michigan bar. If a law firm were to scam clients they would not only be disbarred, but would be in jail. There's more scams than there's REAL help in the timeshare industry and that's why the only place I would do business with to get out of a timeshare contract is a LAW FIRM. A law firm cannot and will not take your money if they cannot help you. It quite surprises me that someone can believe that a law firm could be a scam! Just make sure it is a law firm and not a company with "firm" in the name and do your research. The best place to research an attorney is https://www.avvo.com.

Brian T.
Feb 19, 2018

There's not Possible way a law firm could be a scam. Michael Finn has been an attorney for 49 years.

Brian T.
Feb 19, 2018

Finn Law group will not take your money if you do not need them. Before I gave them any money I was asked to call the resort and see if I could just give them back the timeshare for free. I understand that I spent $40,000 plus $900/year (and going up every single year) on maintenance fees when these timeshares are being given away for FREE online because they are WORTHLESS.

You cannot just "do it yourself for free". If you don't know what you're doing you can be foreclosed on (reports as a true mortgage) and ruin your credit. A law firm cannot victimize a law firm. Michael Finn is a reputable Timeshare attorney and has been an attorney for 49 years.

Brian T.
Feb 19, 2018

briant383 wrote:
Finn Law group will not take your money if you do not need them. Before I gave them any money I was asked to call the resort and see if I could just give them back the timeshare for free. I understand that I spent $40,000 plus $900/year (and going up every single year) on maintenance fees when these timeshares are being given away for FREE online because they are WORTHLESS.

You cannot just "do it yourself for free". If you don't know what you're doing you can be foreclosed on (reports as a true mortgage) and ruin your credit. A law firm cannot victimize a law firm. Michael Finn is a reputable Timeshare attorney and has been an attorney for 49 years.

Great that you had a successful experience with Mike Finn (who I personally like and greatly respect), but the fact is that people often can and do accomplish a "deedback" entirely on their own when there is no unpaid loan balance or unpaid fees involved.

It depends on the individual resort or "chain". Wyndham, Westgate and Diamond now all have their own "deedback" programs in place (although greedy Wastegate charges $900 to accept a deedback). Most independent resorts (those not associated with any "chain" and with the original developer long gone) still will not accept "deedbacks", except in rare and unusual circumstances. HOA-owned weeks of course do not pay maintenance fees, creating significant strain on the resort finances until a new owner can be found. Many smaller "independents" simply cannot absorb that financial strain and additional burden if they want to keep the place running and well maintained --- and they don't want to have to jack up maintenance fees on the remaining, fee-paying owners by forcing them to "pick up the slack for weeks deeded back".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 21, 2018 06:01 AM

Feb 19, 2018

briant383 wrote:
There's no possible way a law firm could be a scam.

Really???

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the ongoing saga of Castle Law Group of Nashville, Tennessee (Judson Phillips, principal). They have taken big money (i.e., several thousand dollars) from many different people, accomplishing absolutely nothing thereafter. Does that somehow not fit your personal definition of a "scam"?

Castle Law Group "law firm" is currently the respondent in no fewer that three separate lawsuits filed in Federal Court in Florida and is also the target of many formal complaints filed against them with the Board of Professional Responsibility in Tennessee.

Michael Finn is an honest, capable and effective attorney; but not all lawyers or "law firms" demonstrate those same attributes. The indisputable fact of the matter is that no attorney (including Mike Finn) possesses any magical powers or secret elixirs. Negotiating with a developer on behalf of a client is one thing, but magic acts, pixie dust and / or miracles simply do not exist.

Edited to add: Judson Phillips, principal of Castle Law Group, has been disbarred.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 06, 2019 04:46 PM

Feb 19, 2018

briant383 wrote:
Finn law group is actually very capable of helping you whether you still owe money on your timeshare or not.... Lets say you still owe $10,000 on your timeshare and Finn law group wants charge you $3,000 to legally terminate your contract. Instead of making more payments to the scam you have been roped into signing up for you make the payments to Finn Law Group.

This is something I don't get. Using the example you provided, if I still owe $10,000 on the mortgage, you're telling me that paying FLG $3000 will "cancel" my mortgage? FLG might help clients somehow get ownership of their unit(s) back to the resort (or its HOA) but that just ends ownership and thus payment of maintenance fees.

Owing $10,000 on the mortgage is an entirely different matter. Usually the lender for the mortgage is a third party, different from the resort, HOA, developer, timeshare chain (eg. Wyndham, Westgate, Marriott, etc.), or management company. So if i still owe $10,000 to the third party lender and then I pay FLG $3000, how is that going to satisfy the lender?

Yes, I understand that FLG is legal, competent, and knowledgeable, but there are limits to what this law firm can do. I don't think magically making my $10,000 mortgage disappear is one of them.

Lance C.
Feb 19, 2018

I agree 100 % with Lance . There's no way any attorney can do away with your ( mortgage ) debt . First you have to understand that there are no mortgages on timeshares . It is not considered real estate as far as financing goes . It's a third party loan . There are no foreclosures or everyone would just walk away and let it happen .

Next : Yes you can do it yourself . I gave back two timeshares in 2011 MYSELF . I have recorded copies of the quit claim deeds and all written communications . I challenge anyone to dispute these facts .

I respect and sometimes disagree with Ken . I don't disagree with anything he states in this thread but I wouldn't endorse any law firm . My advice to anyone who feels that they need the assistance of an attorney is to contact one where they live . The state bar association will be able assist you finding one if you don't want to pick one at random .

The reason I am interjecting in this thread is because it's starting to look more like unpaid free advertising . I know that Ken is only stating his familiarity and insight but I don't want anyone to take it as an endorsement . I don't know Briant but the only thing he's missing is the pom poms .

I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers but I feel better if I get it off my chest .

Don P.
Feb 20, 2018

For the record, I do not and will not "advertise" for Michael Finn. I have merely noted that I have met him and spoken with him face to face on several different occasions and I respect him (which is something I cannot say about many attorneys I've encountered over the years --- and something I cannot say about ANY upfront fee "exit / relief / escape / rescue" parasite operation). Period.

That clearly said, I must correct an inaccuracy that both lancec13 and donp have erroneously stated. In short, there are not always "third party" lenders in developer timeshare purchases. When there is no third party lender involved, negotiation of contract and loan termination (it's not a "mortgage"; it's an unsecured loan, often at a high interest rate) is in fact sometimes possible, even if or when there is an unpaid loan balance. To cite just one specific example (out of numerous available others) Wyndham timeshare financing is entirely "in house", with no third party lender involvement of any kind. I could cite a few other examples, but I've already made my intended point that no "one size fits all" proclamation or statement ever accurately "fits" all situations.

Fwiw, Finn is involved in litigation with several timeshare developers, but rather than be falsely accused of "advertising for" or "endorsing" him, I will say nothing further in these forums regarding Finn Law Group or Michael Finn. I chimed in on this subject at all ONLY because people specifically asked about this law firm and I have seen very little input in these forums from anyone else who actually has any first hand, face to face experience or encounters with Finn --- as I have. Enough said.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 22, 2018 04:33 AM

Feb 20, 2018

Even if the developer holds the ( mortgage ) debt . It is not a conventional mortgage. It is a debt not connected to the property as in a traditional mortgage . The point being is that unlike a mortgage there is no value in the property to support the debt . Also when a real mortgage gets foreclosed it goes back to the lender . In this case the owner gets hit twice once for the loan and another for the useless value of something he can't get rid of along with maintenance fees and assessment .

I want to keep it simple rather than legal jargon that can confuse people . I still recommend that anyone that decides they need the assistance of an attorney to find one right where they live .There are no miracle attorneys out there . They all go through law school and pass a bar exam before they can practice .

Yes there are many that are not competent as others and that is why I advise everyone to do their homework before hiring one . I would never choose an attorney based on a recommendation that I " read about " on the internet .

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract !!! Now enough said .

Just one foot note . There were many people who raved about how good and investor Bernie Madoff was until his world fell apart . I'm just using that as an example of how much weight you put on someones recommendation .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Feb 20, 2018 09:00 AM

Jan 03, 2019

Irenep59 do you only help people dealing with DRI?

Holly R.
Jan 06, 2019

Holly We have a team of members and former members who assist. We hear from a variety of members of the various timeshare companies seeking straight answers from our 44 volunteers. We answer questions about regulatory filings if the member feels they experienced unfair and deceptive sales practices. You can reach me through Inside Timeshare.com. Two developers at least we feel we have a good working relationship. They have been great about listening and responding. At times I have agreed with the timeshare company over the developer. Other timeshare companies don't care what their agents say to sell points. They respond to all complaints "You signed a contract" and "We are not responsible for what our sales agents say" in violation of FTC Section 5 Unfair and Deceptive Business practices.

Irene P.
Feb 26, 2019

Actually, no one on this forum knows what they are talking about. I had a timeshare (I can't say the name bc of a gag). The timeshare never delivered what they promised and they would not work with me. So, to say a contract is binding is misleading. It is not binding if the contract is not fully and properly executed. In addition, most people who purchase timeshares get scammed and promised lies. Again, empty contract. I researched firms who had sued my timeshare. Finn Law Firm was the main one and successfully executed a class action suit. I called them, spoke with them, paid them $5000 and got out of the timeshare saving myself years of headache. You will not get the money back that you put in to purchase the timeshare. That's a loss, but you will get out of the contract and years of maintenance fees. The timeshare will not negotiate with you and forget about trying to sell it bc most people buy their timeshares way above market value.

jamest466 wrote:
I went and did some research and they have an A+ BBB rating and on avvo.com they have a ton of great reviews talking about how they got people out of their timeshares. Then I go on these forums and everyone is saying to not pay any money up front to any company. They charge $3000 to get out of it which at this point I would pay just to be done with it. And I can't donate it because I still owe a bunch on it. So I was hoping someone one hear has used them and/or heard something about them. Thanks.

Joel B.
Feb 26, 2019

Bkuegreen doesn't.

ken1193 wrote:
briant383 wrote:

Great that you had a successful experience with Mike Finn (who I personally like and greatly respect), but the fact is that people often can and do accomplish a "deedback" entirely on their own when there is no unpaid loan balance or unpaid fees involved.

It depends on the individual resort or "chain". Wyndham, Westgate and Diamond now all have their own "deedback" programs in place (although greedy Wastegate charges $900 to accept a deedback). Most independent resorts (those not

associated with any "chain" and with the original developer long gone) still will not accept "deedbacks", except in rare and unusual circumstances. HOA-owned weeks of course do not pay maintenance fees, creating significant strain on the resort finances until a new owner can be found. Many smaller "independents" simply cannot absorb that financial strain and additional burden if they want to keep the place running and well maintained --- and they don't want to have to jack up maintenance fees on the remaining, fee-paying owners by forcing them to "pick up the slack for weeks deeded back".

Joel B.
Feb 26, 2019

Actually, Don, you are wrong. There are plenty of companies that sell timeshares as mortgages. They stay they are selling you actual property and that that property will go up in value and you can sell it just like a house and make a profit if you sell the property. Bluegreen is one of those. The problem is that it's bullshit. You are actually purchasing a mortgage, but the properties are not going up in value and most of them are not worth the amount of money that you purchase them for. So it's a scam. Scams require attorneys. In that circumstance you can't just have the company take the deed back. They're not going to do that because there is a mortgage balance on the timeshare and that is how they are able to foreclose on you. How do you think these timeshares are forclosing on people if they're not mortgages? Furthermore, why do you have a deed if it's not a mortgage. That makes no sense. Anyway, Finn Law Firm does a great job and got me out of the timeshare with no hit on my credit.

Joel B.
Feb 26, 2019

It doesn't get you out of the mortgage but not all timeshares farm out the mortgage to a third party. Many of them are mortgages that are done in-house at the time that you purchased the timeshare. I used to Finn Law Group but I still had an outstanding mortgage balance and lost money on that, but the mortgage was done in-house. I didn't take a credit hit because the timeshare agreed to make a deal with me that if I wouldn't bad mouth them on social media that they wouldn't report it to the credit bureau. I tried to work with the timeshare first but they were *******s and wouldn't even talk about taking the timeshare back because they know they have you over a barrel. The thing that pissed me off was that they lied to me during the timeshare meeting and misrepresented the benefit of the timeshare and of the ease of scheduling vacation spots. I probably would have never tried to get rid of it but I never could get the vacation spots that I wanted.

Joel B.
May 01, 2019

How can you prove fraud? We bought through LHVC in Dominican Republic. We put it all on credit cards and need to fight it

Sandy M.
May 02, 2019

sandym376 wrote:
How can you prove fraud? We bought through LHVC in Dominican Republic. We put it all on credit cards and need to fight it

That's the challenge when owners or buyers want to sue either the sales people, resort, management company, or timeshare company. They have to prove fraud. Usually it's just a matter of He said She said which is difficult to prove in court.

How long ago did you buy this membership? You can file a dispute with your credit card if you want. It's worth a shot.

But my other question is Why are you posting this in a thread about Finn Law Group? What does FLG have to do with your situation?

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.