Ask RedWeek

Cancelling within 10 days

Feb 20, 2023

What happens next after you cancelled ? I sent my letter I don’t know what to expect next I’m lost and worried

Marlene D.
Feb 20, 2023

marlened77 wrote:
What happens next after you cancelled ? I sent my letter I don’t know what to expect next I’m lost and worried

A letter of rescission, if timely submitted, properly signed and correctly addressed, MUST BY LAW result in a cancellation of the contract and a 100% refund of any money paid at the time of contract execution. By a separate but applicable Federal consumer law, that refund must be issued within 45 days (...refund usually occurs much sooner, however).

What might happen next is that disappointed and hungry sales hyenas call you to desperately try to talk you out of cancelling; don't even answer the phone if you don't recognize the caller's number, at least until you know that this cancellation is concluded.

There is no requirement to provide you with any form of "confirmation", other than processing the rescission and issuing the refund, as required by law. DO NOT call to "follow up"; no possible good can come from any such phone conversation (and phone conversations are legally meaningless in a contract matter anyhow). Just be patient and let the law do its' work for you now. Watch your credit card / bank account for issuance of the refund; that might very well be the only form of "confirmation" that you will ever see regarding the contract cancellation.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 21, 2023 09:06 AM

Feb 21, 2023

Thank you so much this puts me at ease so much .. Originally the first payment would’ve been march 13 but I canceled I sent my certified written cancellation letter within the 6 days .. but I will say I am still getting calls to welcome me as if they aren’t aware that I’ve canceled .. is that also normal ?

Marlene D.
Feb 22, 2023

marlened77 wrote:
Thank you so much this puts me at ease so much .. Originally the first payment would’ve been march 13 but I canceled I sent my certified written cancellation letter within the 6 days .. but I will say I am still getting calls to welcome me as if they aren’t aware that I’ve canceled .. is that also normal ?

Different developers have different practices --- but none of them ever want to lose a sale after previously "closing the deal".

DO NOT answer (or return) ANY of those calls. Don't worry about what's "normal"; there is really no "normal" when it comes to the behavior of hungry and deceitful timeshare sales hyenas --- and it's irrelevant anyhow. There is no reason for them to be calling you just to "welcome" you; that is very clearly NOT the real purpose of their phone calls. Just DO NOT talk to them!

The law is on your side here. Don't get in its' way by making (unwise and avoidable) tactical errors and muddying the waters now, when you are getting close to successfully rescinding (cancelling) the contract and just putting it behind you --- permanently.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 23, 2023 08:31 AM

Feb 23, 2023

In your previous response saying that a refund would be a confirmation that cancellation was processed, what about in my case , I got lucky and didn’t have to pay anything at all(until march 13). ;( would it be in my best interest to not request for something in writing like an acknowledgment that they received my letter? I have the proof of delivery but would something in writing from them help or still just leave as is ?

Marlene D.
Feb 23, 2023

marlened77 wrote:
In your previous response saying that a refund would be a confirmation that cancellation was processed, what about in my case , I got lucky and didn’t have to pay anything at all(until march 13). ;( would it be in my best interest to not request for something in writing like an acknowledgment that they received my letter? I have the proof of delivery but would something in writing from them help or still just leave as is ?

They are NOT required to provide you with any acknowledgement of receipt, whether you request it or not, plain and simple. If you sent your properly signed and completed rescission letter by certified U.S. Mail to the correct address (as I presume you did), and you already have proof of delivery (as you indicate that you do), you certainly don’t need any further “acknowledgement of receipt” anyhow. What would be the point?

It is extremely unusual for any contract to be executed without the buyer providing at least a deposit, but you contend that you haven’t actually paid anything so far. If that is the case, immediately cancel the credit card (If that’s what you provided to the developer). No one can place any charges upon a invalid or inactive credit card. If you instead (unwisely) gave them your bank account information and access, then promptly get that particular bank account closed out and obtain a new and different bank account number (and ensure that your bank cannot and will not process any withdrawals not initiated by you in person). They can only take your money if you give them to access your money -- so JUST DON’T ALLOW THEM TO EVER ACCESS YOUR MONEY!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 03, 2023 08:33 AM

Feb 27, 2023

Okay , yes it was unwise of me , I will definitely take your advice on Getting with my bank . Thank you for helping me understand. This is all very new to me and I feel so naive .. but I learned my lesson .

Marlene D.
Mar 02, 2023

Did you send the letter in or your sales rep helped you ?

Inga A.
Mar 10, 2023

I sent my letter within the 6 days right . And today I just left my bank and she told me that if they still did not cancel for whatever reason that I need to call and put a dispute and stop payment and they will give me a new account .

ingaa3 wrote:
Did you send the letter in or your sales rep helped you ?

Marlene D.
Mar 10, 2023

She also told me to call a 1800 number if theirs to verify if payment was still going to go through even though I’ve already sent my cancellation letter … I’m afraid of doing that because you said don’t call them !!

Marlene D.
Apr 11, 2023

hi im dealing with the same thing . i sent in my letter 24 hours after signing . how long did it take to receive a cncellation confirmation ?

Aimee R.
Apr 12, 2023

aimeer48 wrote:
hi im dealing with the same thing . i sent in my letter 24 hours after signing . how long did it take to receive a cncellation confirmation ?

There is no obligation to send you any "cancellation confirmation" at any time. Their only legal obligation is to process a properly and timely submitted, signed, correctly addressed rescission and then issue a 100% refund within 45 days (refunds usually occur much sooner than 45 days, however).

I hope that you sent your signed rescission letter by certified mail and obtained a date stamped receipt from the USPS counter, in case you ever have to prove the date of postmark. Date of actual delvery of your rescission correspondence does not matter at all --- the postmark date (within the applicable state law time period (3 - 10 days, depending on the individual state) is all that matters from a legal perspective.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 14, 2023 11:21 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.