Timeshare Companies

Wyndham's new "Ovation" program offers exit solutions for their owners... interested?

Dec 19, 2017

dianek92 wrote:
And what way is that? really interested. am really hesitant to sign anything again with Wyndham.

jenniferr830 wrote:
I was able to get ours canceled, not by OVATION. Not even sure what the heck that means. You guys have it allllll wrong, If thee resort has ANOTHER program offer, you all would just sign up, right? Cmon now! WAKE UP! Everyone keeps falling for these schemes. There is only 1 way to get the handcuffs off.

With all due respect, you are asking a question in response to a uninformed (maybe even a shill) post from way back in May, 2016. That post was likely placed as a vague "intro / promo" seeking to lure people toward some "upfront fee escape artist operation" of some sort with its' vague pitch line that "there is only one [conveniently unspecified] way to get the handcuffs off". That vague statement is both factually incorrect and just plain nonsense --- and frankly more than a little suspicious, at least in my personal opinion.

For the record, Wyndham's Ovation program was first implemented in 2015 and has been in place and operational since then (even if jenniferr830 is (quoting her own words here) "not even sure what the heck Ovation means".

*IF* whatever YOU have (within Wyndham) is fully paid up and you just want OUT and if what you have is accepted into the Ovation program, it would cost you ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to get out. If you still have any unpaid loan balance or unpaid maintenance fees, all bets are off --- in that case your Ovation application would not even be considered.

I am unclear about what your "hesitation" might be if you want to get "out" and can do so cleanly, lawfully, promptly --- and at absolutely NO cost whatsoever. What is it about ANY of those features that gives you pause? Many (i.e., thousands) of Wyndham owners have successfully used Ovation to get "out" during the past two years. I personally do not comprehend your apparent reluctance to take advantage of a FREE exit avenue for something that you probably could not give away for free in the open market anyhow (and if you could could, Wyndham would impose a $299 "transfer fee") --- but it is of course your own decision to make. Good luck, whichever course of action (or inaction) you choose.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 21, 2017 06:55 AM

Dec 19, 2017

I will say that ken1193's message is exactly what we have experienced. Even though we had "invested" a lot of money over the years and got zero dollars back, we no longer pay maintenance fees, and have the same million-plus points to use through 2020. It's a financial load off, and we have enough points to travel more than we want to. I think that Ovation is a good deal, if you're paid up and are ready to give up the timeshare routine after a few years.

And just so you know, my use of the word "invested" above is definitely sarcastic.

Jim S.
Dec 19, 2017

As a point of clarification to jims1139 post above, to the best of my knowledge and belief ONLY Wyndham points ownerships which were originally purchased directly from Wyndham qualify to receive the "3 years to use your points" deal. As I understand it, those Wyndham ownerships purchased in the resale market which are accepted into "Ovation" get their "get out of jail free" pass --- but nothing else (i.e., NO points to use for the next 3 years). I'll stand to be corrected if mistaken, but that's how others report their Ovation experiences so far.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 24, 2017 06:12 AM

Dec 20, 2017

jims1139 wrote:
Even though we had "invested" a lot of money over the years and got zero dollars back, we no longer pay maintenance fees, and have the same million-plus points to use through 2020. It's a financial load off.... I think that Ovation is a good deal, if you're paid up and are ready to give up the timeshare routine after a few years.

I agree, and am happy to report that we, too, got the three years worth of "free" points.

The sad fact remains, though, that zillions of Wyndham points can be had for mere pennies, via ads in Redweek, eBay, TimeSharing Today, My Resort Network, T. U. G. and all the rest. They're all but worthless -- except in the Dreaded Sales Centers.

Stu M.
Dec 20, 2017

ken1193 wrote:
As a point of clarification to jims1139 post above, to the best of my knowledge and belief ONLY Wyndham points ownerships which were originally purchased directly from Wyndham qualify to receive the "3 years to use your points" deal. As I understand it, those Wyndham ownerships purchased in the resale market which are accepted into "Ovation" get their "get out of jail free" pass --- but nothing else (i.e., NO points to use for the next 3 years). I'll stand to be corrected if mistaken, but that is my understanding of Ovation terms and practices.

It evidently depends on whether they want the property or not. I called about a year ago (haven't done it yet) and they were willing to accept both my paid-up properties. One purchased from them (in a fit of insanity) and one I got for about $110 bucks as a resale. They said I would be able to use the points for 3 years and did not say this would not apply to the resale property.

Lolli S.

Last edited by lollis3 on Dec 20, 2017 08:26 PM

Dec 21, 2017

lollis3 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:
As a point of clarification to jims1139 post above, to the best of my knowledge and belief ONLY Wyndham points ownerships which were originally purchased directly from Wyndham qualify to receive the "3 years to use your points" deal. As I understand it, those Wyndham ownerships purchased in the resale market which are accepted into "Ovation" get their "get out of jail free" pass --- but nothing else (i.e., NO points to use for the next 3 years). I'll stand to be corrected if mistaken, but that is my understanding of Ovation terms and practices.

It evidently depends on whether they want the property or not. I called about a year ago (haven't done it yet) and they were willing to accept both my paid-up properties. One purchased from them (in a fit of insanity) and one I got for about $110 bucks as a resale. They said I would be able to use the points for 3 years and did not say this would not apply to the resale property.

I'm guessing (admittedly it is ONLY a guess) that your resale purchase would NOT get the "3 years of points use" deal and that ONLY your developer-direct purchase would receive that "benefit". I could of course be mistaken, but I have not previously heard of any resale ownerships actually getting that "3 years of points" deal upon acceptance into Ovation.

In any case, Ovation is an easy, lawful, permanent (and FREE) exit from Wyndham for those who just want "out" NOW --- *IF* Wyndham will accept that particular "product" back. The tough part is accepting that the product actually has no value or demand in the resale market and that its' only real value now is in its' actual USE. It also must be very difficult for people to swallow and digest the concept of giving back (for free) something for which serious money was once paid; I know that doing so certainly would not sit well with me.

Ovation is just about two years old now. It will be interesting to see if Wyndham continues the Ovation program indefinitely or just suddenly slams the Ovation door shut without any advance notice (as is certainly their right and prerogative). I guess only time will tell.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 24, 2017 09:09 AM

Dec 22, 2017

ken1193 wrote:
lollis3 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:

I'm guessing (admittedly it is ONLY a guess) that your resale purchase would NOT get the "3 years of points use" deal and that ONLY your developer-direct purchase would receive that "benefit". I could of course be mistaken, but I have not previously heard of any resale ownerships actually getting that "3 years of points" deal upon acceptance into Ovation.

In any case, Ovation is an easy, lawful, permanent (and FREE) exit from Wyndham for those who just want "out" NOW --- *IF* Wyndham will accept that particular "product" back. The tough part is accepting that the product actually has no value or demand in the resale market and that its' only real value now is in its' actual USE. It also must be very difficult for people to swallow and digest the concept of giving back (for free) something for which serious money was once paid; I know that doing so certainly would not sit well with me.

Ovation is about two years old now. It will be interesting to see if Wyndham continues the Ovation program indefinitely or just suddenly slams the Ovation door shut without any advance notice (as is their right and prerogative). I guess only time will tell.

I felt more confident about the prospect that this program will continue when I saw that they placed a full page ad for Ovation in the latest magazine that they sent out. Previously it seemed like a secret little plan they didn't really want to talk about.

Lolli S.
Dec 26, 2017

lollis3 wrote:
I felt more confident about the prospect that this program will continue when I saw that they placed a full page ad for Ovation in the latest magazine that they sent out. Previously it seemed like a secret little plan they didn't really want to talk about.

My own theory is that Wyndham initially (in 2015) just willfully chose to let "wind" of their then-new Ovation program spread by word of mouth alone, in order to be able to better manage the inevitable avalanche of applications --- and also be able to carefully evaluate and assess what they would (or would not) accept back via "Ovation". I don't believe it was a "secret little plan" as much as it was simply a "controlled introduction" of a new program; one which would produce new sales inventory at absolutely NO cost to Wyndham.

Now that Ovation is two years old and the procedures have been been worked out and any concerns about "application avalanche" now behind them, it's no surprise that Wyndham is willing to openly "advertise" Ovation. After all, it's a way for them to easily acquire absolutely free inventory --- and then sell it all over aqain (at full freight pricing) to others. Wyndham knows full well that they can just shut down Ovation anytime they choose if or when they decide that that they have taken back all the inventory that they want to handle. If I was an owner in Wyndham (which I am not) and wanted out, I frankly would POUNCE on Ovation. I would not drag my feet and wait, only to potentially see the door suddenly slammed shut --- at which point it would be "you snoozed, you lose". To each their own, of course.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 26, 2017 08:40 AM

Dec 26, 2017

ken1193 wrote:
After all, [Ovation is] a way for them to easily acquire absolutely free inventory --- and then sell it all over aqain (at full freight pricing) to others. Wyndham knows full well that they can just shut down Ovation anytime they choose if or when they decide that that they have taken back all the inventory that they want to deal with. If I was an owner in Wyndham (which I am not) and wanted out, I frankly would POUNCE on Ovation. I would not drag my feet and wait too long, only to see the door suddenly closed --- at which point it's "you snoozed, you lose". To each their own, of course.

Excellent post, excellent advice. We POUNCED about 18 months ago -- and got the three years worth of "free" (as in "Have a Free Lunch, Sucker!") points -- and have never looked back. Readers of your piece are strongly advised to do what you say: Don't drag your fee and wait too long because the Ovation door may close very suddenly.

Stu M.

Last edited by markl18 on Dec 26, 2017 07:06 AM

Dec 26, 2017

markl18 wrote:
Excellent post, excellent advice. We POUNCED about 18 months ago -- and got the three years worth of "free" (as in "Have a Free Lunch, Sucker!") points -- and have never looked back. Readers of your piece are strongly advised to do what you say: Don't drag your fee and wait too long because the Ovation door may close very suddenly.

I don't know how many times we were taken for suckers in the Wyndham sales locker -- too many, now that I think back on it. I am going to enjoy my Free Lunch until September 2020 (or until Wyndham pulls the plug). If others are wondering about making the jump, consider being out of the Maintenance Fees That Never Decrease game. Wyndham facilities are really nice, and I have enjoyed every one we've used. But the monay we won't have to spend on fees during our free-lunch years will buy some nice beach days later.

Jim S.
Jan 10, 2018

We, too, have a "weeks" timeshare in Fairfield Glade in Crossville. We bought a home in FFG and have less need of a timeshare. I spoke with Minerva of the Ovation program. It seems straight forward, but I am skeptical. I would welcome any experiences. I am puzzled as to how timeshare exit programs (like the one in FFG) can request a $2,500 fee or more when one can get out of a timeshare, ostensibly, for free. I welcome comments as well.

Jeff L.
Jan 10, 2018

It's very simple . Most people won't put in the effort it takes to negotiate an exit . They find it easier to pay a fee to have it done for them . In some cases the resort won't take the property back and the owner has to be creative to dispose of his property . I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 by negotiating deed backs with the two resorts .

I devoted the time and effort to locate the person who handles the deeds and I explained to them that I was going to get them out of my name with or without their cooperation and apparently they realized that it was in their best interest to work with me . You have to become your own advocate and convince them to work with you . You also have to be prepared to follow through if they don't cooperate and I was well prepared at the time .

Everyone has to decide what is best for themselves and their families . I was prepared to go to any lengths to rid myself of the forever increasing maintenance fees and assessments . I encourage people to use these forums to share ideas and information with each other and hopefully come up with an exit strategy for everyone who wants to get out of their contracts .

By the way we get a lot of discussions in the forum at the end of the year and the beginning of the new year when maintenance fees become due . My advice is not to wait until the next years fees are due again to look for a solution to your problem .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jan 10, 2018 02:11 PM

Jan 10, 2018

jeffl482 wrote:
I spoke with Minerva of the Ovation program. It seems straight forward, but I am skeptical. I would welcome any experiences. I am puzzled as to how timeshare exit programs (like the one in FFG) can request a $2,500 fee or more when one can get out of a timeshare, ostensibly, for free. I welcome comments as well.

Have you read ANY of the many first hand accounts regarding successful use of Ovation that are posted right here within this forum thread?

The Ovation program is completely legitimate; it has been in place since 2015. Wyndham "cherry picks" what they will accept into the program, but it might help to decrease your skepticism if you simply keep in mind that the program is actually self-serving for Wyndham. Basically, Wyndham retrieves (for free) inventory which they can (and will) then turn around and sell all over again, probably "repackaged" as CWA Points contracts. The fact that the program also helps owners who want to "get out" to achieve a quick, lawful (and free) "exit" is almost a coincidental side benefit --- not the benevolent goal or intent of Wyndham. That said however, it's still a "win / win", since it would otherwise be next to impossible to sell (or even give away) that timeshare on your own. Even if you found a willing new recipient, Wyndham charges a mandatory $299 "transfer fee" to process the ownership change. Ovation, on the other hand, is FREE.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If you want "out", use Ovation while that door still remains open --- it could be closed by Wyndham at any time, with no advance notice, if or when they simply decide that they have more than enough "recovered" inventory for their sales force to peddle for the time being. By the way, DRI has recently adopted the very same practice for the very same reasons. DRI now calls their new "deedback" program "Transitions"; a warm and fuzzy program name. ;-)

ALL upfront fee alleged "exit companies" are just useless, expensive parasites. They have no magic beans nor do they know any secret processes --- they exist only to take your money. You pony up a few thousand dollars and they might make a phone call or two or send out a letter; both being things you could easily do yourself for the cost of a postage stamp. When the call and / or letter from the "exit' parasite is inevitably just ignored (since it doesn't originate from the actual owner), the "exit" parasites will then just sit back, do nothing more --- and let foreclosure occur (which would occur anyhow if you stop paying fees and pay those "exit" parasites NOTHING). The "exit" parasites can then very comfortably say "Well, you're out now. Congratulations! What's your beef? We tried to help you and now you're "out", which is what you wanted in the first place. Thanks for the money --- and have a nice day!"

Do not even momentarily consider dealing with ANY of these assorted, thieving, upfront fee parasites. Remember the old saying that "a fool and his money are soon parted" and make the active decision and choice to NOT become just another person who proves that old adage to be absolutely true.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 12, 2018 07:51 AM

Jan 10, 2018

jeffl482 wrote:
I spoke with Minerva of the Ovation program. It seems straight forward, but I am skeptical. I would welcome any experiences. I am puzzled as to how timeshare exit programs ... can request a $2,500 fee or more when one can get out of a timeshare, ostensibly, for free. I welcome comments as well.

There are now 24 PAGES of comments documenting mostly positive experiences with the Ovation program in this Forum.

Stu M.
Jan 12, 2018

markl18 wrote:
There are now 24 PAGES of comments documenting mostly positive experiences with the Ovation program in this Forum.

478 posts (to date --- and still counting) certainly provide more than enough information on which to make a decision, which Wyndham owners should do sooner rather than later if considering Ovation, in order to avoid potentially getting caught in a "you snoozed, so you lose" situation.

Bear in mind that Wyndham can close down Ovation anytime they choose. There are no current indications of plans or intentions to do so, but the fact remains that Wyndham has NO obligation to provide ANY advance notice if they decide to simply close the Ovation door. Food for thought...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 17, 2018 01:41 PM

Jan 15, 2018

We have been Wyndham owners for 20+ years and no longer travel like we once did. We need to rid our budget of the monthly maintenance fees as we are currently retired and living on a fixed income. We are about to contact Wyndham's Ovation program and welcome your interest in following our experience.

kyliec wrote:
We have been talking to Wyndham about their new program, Ovation, which was quietly announced to Wyndham owners a few weeks ago. The company isn't offering concrete details, but appears they are ready to customize exit solutions for their owners who no longer use their timeshares.

Jeff Weir has written an informative article for us with much more detail on this topic. Read about the initial introduction of the Ovation program here... and the Ovation update nearly a year later here.

IF YOU ARE A WYNDHAM OWNER, interested in what solutions Wyndham will offer to you, take us along for the ride! We would love to follow several owners as they contact Wyndham for a solution to see whether this program is all they are claiming it to be. If you're interested, please post here and Jeff will follow up with you.

Linda W.
Jan 15, 2018

Linda, the first thing to know is that you must be up to date on maintenance fees, and paid off on your purchase. The next thing will be to let them know you want to be in Ovation by calling them -- they will send you paperwork to sign, giving everything back to them. Then they will provide you with the same number of points you have now, for three years. After that, everything is done and gone.

It feels wrong to just give back everything you've purchased, but you probably know you can't sell it to ANYone for money. We feel like we are far better off not having to pay maintenance fees every month -- in our case, it was welcome. We are not traveling as often nor as far, and just don't need the points. Oh -- I don't think you can use those points for cruises. And someone on this forum said that if you are in Ovation, you aren't allowed to buy any more points!! Can you imagine?? NO more updates!

Call Wyndham about joining Ovation. We are glad we did it.

Jim S.
Jan 15, 2018

Another important thing to remember is that Wyndham is under no obligation to take units back. From what I've read, Wyndham will only accept a select limited number of units back. So you can contact Wyndham about it's Ovation program but it's not an automatic that Wyndham will take your unit back.

If Wyndham declines to take your unit back, then please do not fall for any of these so-called relief, rescue, release, exit companies or supposed law firms that claim they can magically release you from your timeshare or claim they can sue Wyndham or its sales people.

Anyway, I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Lance C.
Jan 16, 2018

This is an unpublished program (the specifics) and it is always changing. At one point it was fairly select and then for a while Wyndham was accepting just about anything and everything, even deeded weeks that had never been converted. At this point Wyndham is being more selective in which resorts to take back. If the answer is NO now you can always try again in 2-3 months to see if your resort/week would be accepted at that time.

Even if Wyndham says no and you own points and your contract is paid off (even at one of the resorts with a higher annual fee) you will be able to give it away a lot cheaper than contracting with a disposal company. In some cases all you need to do is pay the transfer cost. In some cases you might have to pay 4 to 6 months of MF;s and maybe even an entire year but since disposal companies charge $2000-$4000 you will still be ahead.

Tracey S.
Jan 16, 2018

tracey75 wrote:
Even if Wyndham says no and you own points and your contract is paid off (even at one of the resorts with a higher annual fee) you will be able to give it away a lot cheaper than contracting with a disposal company. In some cases all you need to do is pay the transfer cost. In some cases you might have to pay 4 to 6 months of MF;s and maybe even an entire year but since disposal companies charge $2000-$4000 you will still be ahead.

Bingo! And on top of that, you will not be dealing with a questionable third party who may or may not be a scam and then might or might not carry out what was promised.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.