Timeshare Companies

Wyndham's new "Ovation" program offers exit solutions for their owners... interested?

May 05, 2018

kathyh693 wrote:
It is shell West so it includes San Fran Anaheim Napa etc , so it has value but they said they will take it back through ovation sans the three year deal. I will probably just do it and get out from under the fees. I mean the Napa place alone is $350+ a night so with 5500 points I get my fees back every year if I am good about using it. It just seems for $1700 a year in fees plus a $179 interval fee whenever I go outside of shell I could stay somewhere when and where I want for about the same $$ so I am leaning toward giving it back. Sure, I would love to sell it and recoup any part of my $30k+ but that isn’t likely and so many scammers out there...

“the woman said she would send me the info to give it back to Shell or a company they use to resell them for you. It was referred by them and she said it was better business bureau verified and you don’t pay anything up front . Anyone exercise that option? ”

Also a Shell member (Hawaii Club: Kauai Beachboy). Contrary to what others that have posted here have claimed, we, as Shell owners can take advantage of the Ovation program. As you note, we are not eligible for the Limited program because that program uses owners’ prior Wyndham ownership points to use for three years. As Shell owners, we have no Wyndham points to carry forward.

I called on April 13. I was told immediately that I was eligible for the program, was given a confirmation #, and told I would be contacted by email in 4 - 6 weeks. On May 2, a little more than 2 weeks later, I received two emails containing the required legal documents to sign via DocuSign. We DocuSigned both of them and immediately received an email that our end of the process was complete and the documents accepted.

I’m not sure what happens next; maybe someone who has gone through these steps to this point can inform as to what Wyndham does next.

Like you, I made use of the points over the past 16 years, but no longer travel to any areas that have Shell properties, rather using them at BlueGreen resorts or the Wyndham in Daytona as we travel to and from our winter Florida Keys 2-month rental. Although this year, we found that even these weren’t fully available. Seems like the more they sell, the greater the demand for stays, making availability tight. Additionally, Interval International searches never turned anything up over several years.

The maintenance fees had risen to $2,200 and I just booked stays at nice Hilton properties for 9 nights on the way down in January and still have enough left for our usual 4 night return trip. As a Hilton Honors member who signed up for their new AMEX card there are also a lot of reward points nights that will be coming our way..... and no $2,200++ fee due in December. Plus, we can now pick the type of room we want in whatever city we want, so we’re happy.

Marc B.

Last edited by marcb113 on May 06, 2018 07:36 AM

May 07, 2018

This Ovation program is you GIVING your timeshare back to Wyndham NO MONEY is exchanged . It needs to be PAID OFF and you need to own it for at least 1 year . You would need to call and check if they are taking that home resort because they may not be accepting certain resorts

Mj R.
May 07, 2018

I signed the documents and I’m just waiting to see what happens ....

Kathy H.
May 08, 2018

I received the legal documents to transfer my properties back to Wyndham 27 days after I talked to someone about the Ovation program. The documents arrived via email as a pdf attachment. I have completed the paperwork and returned it. I asked for the "Limited Edition" of the program and I will get 3 years of "free" timeshare use (all of my points) with the restriction that I no longer have the extended "home resort" window for reservations. If all goes well I hope to be out from under maintenance fees by August or September. I will continue to post updates for those who are interested.

Douglas S.
May 16, 2018

Yes please let us know what happens with your trying to give your timeshare back with Ovation we are trying to do the same thing and are very confused every time we contact Wyndham they are pushy and rude and don't tell us what we need to know. Let us know how it works out for you and good luck.

Katie D.
May 16, 2018

katied147 wrote:
We are very confused every time we contact Wyndham they are pushy and rude and don't tell us what we need to know. .

Unless the phone number has changed, you should be calling 1-855-312-9040. Our experience with Ovation, going back some two years, was fast and very courteous. Before you call again, just scan the last, say, five pages of this series, you should learn about all you need to know to get rid of your Wyndham points through Ovation -- assuming, of course, that they want inventory wherever your points are home-based. They'll probably take Nashville points all day long, but Lake Lure...?

Stu M.
May 17, 2018

markl18 wrote:
katied147 wrote:
We are very confused every time we contact Wyndham they are pushy and rude and don't tell us what we need to know. .

Unless the phone number has changed, you should be calling 1-855-312-9040. Our experience with Ovation, going back some two years, was fast and very courteous. Before you call again, just scan the last, say, five pages of this series, you should learn about all you need to know to get rid of your Wyndham points through Ovation -- assuming, of course, that they want inventory wherever your points are home-based. They'll probably take Nashville points all day long, but Lake Lure...?

We never got a rude or pushy response from Wyndham when inquiring about Ovation. (Can't say the same about the sales force, however.) Do try the phone number given, or if that's not working, call the regular number and ask to be transferred to someone who will talk to you about Ovation. The people I have dealt with in making reservations with our "Ovation points" have gone out of their way to be helpful.

By the way, I do hope they will acquire more inventory at Lake Lure. I hope to use some points there over the next 2-1/2 years. Nashville? Not so much! ;-)

Jim S.
May 17, 2018

jims1139 markl18

katied147 wrote:
By the way, I do hope they will acquire more inventory at Lake Lure. I hope to use some points there over the next 2-1/2 years. Nashville? Not so much! ;-)

We were there one time, maybe 15 years ago, and even back then there were notes on the bulletin board: For Sale $1. ;-)

Stu M.
May 23, 2018

just an update. I filled out the online paperwork and waited a few weeks. Didn't hear anything, so I sent a followup email and then I went to shellvacationsclub.com and equiant.com and I don't exist anymore at either site. So I guess it's a done deal. NO MORE MAINTENANCE FEES!!! free at last! I still had 10,000 points this year and I hated to let them go, but I wasn't going to let this window of opportunity pass me by... I wanted out. the end.

Kathy H.
May 24, 2018

Same thing.

Returned signed documents on May 2nd.

Still haven't received anything further, but no longer have access to the Shell site.

Forfeited 12,420 points, but am glad to be without any further obligation.

Marc B.
May 26, 2018

Yes, but as usual with Wyndham, it is all there way. It has cost me about $30,000 to buy my 184,000 pts. plus the yearly fee (maintenance?} now $1200 a yr. That still is in Wyndham favor. They sell all my points at a higher price and again make out like bandits. The word "timeshare" leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. The sorriest thing I have ever done. There Ovation program options suck. Sell it thru an approved reseller, give it back or use it for 3 yrs with no maint. fees. That is an exit solution?? favors only one group-Wyndham. Nothing changes they are still very greedy!!! Just make it a standard payback based on Points or Week. Keep it simple. I agree with the Shell Owner. Funny even Shell didn't want to be a "timeshare" owner. They sold out!!! Later

Al B.
May 26, 2018

Unfortunately it is what it is. People pay thousands of dollars everyday to get rid of their paid off timeshares to "exit" companies when the developer won't take them back. Westgate I believe charges about $1000 per contract to accept a fully paid timeshare back. Diamond charges about $300-500 per deed. Yes it sucks but more than half of the developers either won't take back a timeshare at all - you have to pay until you find a buyer or someone to take it for free or charge you upward of $300 per contract to take back.

Tracey S.
Jun 02, 2018

The Ovation program has worked very well for me. I contacted them on March 29th about returning two timeshare properties (Daytona-Ocean Walk, and Bonnet Creek). It took about a month to get the paperwork for us to fill out to transfer the deeds. I returned the paperwork (which was received by email) to Wyndham with in a week. On May 4th one property was transferred, on May 11th the other one was done. The entire process took less than 45 days. I have no more maintenance fee obligations, and still have 3 years worth of timeshare use. If you add the "free" 3 year use of timeshare, at least I got something back for the properties. The way I look at it, it was a win-win. I made very good use of the timeshares when I had them (including big points discounts for last minute reservations) and now that I no longer intend to travel as much, I am free of the obligation for me and my heirs.

Douglas S.
Jun 03, 2018

douglass212 wrote:
The Ovation program has worked very well for me.

I am glad it worked out well for you. This is a suggestion that is given to many who come on these boards wondering if so-and-so law firm, charity, or exit/relief company can get them out of a timeshare. These companies charge thousands of dollars to do what an owner can do himself for a lot less money.

Lance C.
Jun 04, 2018

I think it's fair and accurate to say that people who bought developer-direct from Wyndham, paying tens of thousands of dollars for something that was worth only a tiny fraction of that amount from day one, are (perhaps understandably) often bitter and resentful about giving their timeshare back to Wyndham for free via "Ovation".

On the other hand, people who purchased their Wyndham product in the resale market (for a few hundred dollars, or even for next to nothing instead of for tens of thousands of dollars) have a more cavalier and accepting view of giving it back to Wyndham for free.

Personally, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with timeshare ownership; I enjoy it. What's really unfortunate and wrong is overpaying obscene amounts of money to any developer to acquire any timeshare ownership in the first place.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 05, 2018 04:57 AM

Jun 05, 2018

ken1193 wrote:
I think it's fair and accurate to say that people who bought developer-direct from Wyndham ... [are] often bitter and resentful about giving their timeshare back to Wyndham for free via "Ovation". ... What's really unfortunate and wrong is overpaying obscene amounts of money to any developer to acquire any timeshare ownership in the first place.

I agree with you, but the simple subject here has been and still is how to get out from under Wyndham, no matter how much or how little anyone paid. We were among those who bought on the cheap and therefore did not have to absorb much of a "loss" by taking advantage of Ovation. Our estate planner told us pointedly, "Don't die with all those @#$%& timeshares." Why? Because the cost to an estate to get rid of timeshares can be high and is, always, a waste.

The big picture: Wyndham offers a free and easy way out. Want out -- for any reason whatsoever? Take it!

Stu M.
Jun 05, 2018

markl18 wrote:
...the simple subject here has been and still is how to get out from under Wyndham, no matter how much or how little anyone paid. We were among those who bought on the cheap and therefore did not have to absorb much of a "loss" by taking advantage of Ovation. Our estate planner told us pointedly, "Don't die with all those @#$%& timeshares." Why? Because the cost to an estate to get rid of timeshares can be high and is, always, a waste.

The big picture: Wyndham offers a free and easy way out. Want out -- for any reason whatsoever? Take it!

I agree wholeheartedly, particularly since Wyndham could decide at any time, without providing any advance notice whatsoever, that they have "recovered" all the "inventory" they want to deal with for a while and just suddenly slam the Ovation door shut --- either temporarily or permanently --- at their whim.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 05, 2018 06:41 AM

Jun 14, 2018

We are extremely interested because of our financial situation.

Charles G.
Jun 14, 2018

charlese71 wrote:
We are extremely interested because of our financial situation.

Unless the phone number has changed, you should be calling 1-855-312-9040. Our experience with Ovation, going back some two years, was fast and very courteous. But before you call, scan the last, say, five-ten pages of this series. You will learn just about all you need to know to get rid of your Wyndham points through Ovation -- assuming, of course, that they want inventory wherever your points are home-based. Have your contract number(s) and related document(s) at hand when you call.

Stu M.

Last edited by markl18 on Jun 14, 2018 11:15 AM

Jun 20, 2018

I'm trying to understand as we were told you have to have your credits completely paid for to enroll in a program. Is this correct?

Amy A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.