Timeshare Companies

Wyndham's new "Ovation" program offers exit solutions for their owners... interested?

Dec 25, 2018

I had a shell vacations west and although I didn’t get to have three years to use my points, I was able to give it back. I have mixed feelings. I hated paying the maintenance fees but I’m finding out how expensive the private sector really is. My fees were about $1700 a year and I could squeeze 2-3 weeks out of my 5500 points every year. But then coupled with the fees of like $179 each time it was more like $2300 for those three weeks. Not a bad deal except that I paid $30,000 for those points 12 yrs ago. So I really don’t know, I think the issue was, there was never inventory when and where I wanted it so I would rather use that $2300 for one or two weeks every year exactly where I want. And if I don’t want to go anywhere that year I’m not “throwing away” that $2300. Not sure if that made sense but basically, yes, they took my points back and I haven’t. “Shelled over” $160 a month for about 6 months now

Kathy H.
Dec 26, 2018

johnm3963 wrote:
As of 12/26/18, Ovation participants can no longer make guest confirmations. Two years into the program for us and Wyndham unilaterally changes the terms. Phone rep says nothing they can do. Just be aware, when you go this route, nothing is guaranteed.

Wyndham is not known for being up-front and transparent. However, I just want to say that I'm guaranteed to make NO further maintenance fee payments. Maybe I'll be able to use some of my remaining points, and maybe not. But I have learned an expensive lesson and perhaps those to whom I've given guest confirmations will see the light and NEVER trust a smooth-talking timeshare sales weasel.

Jim S.
Dec 27, 2018

Hi Kathy, My wife and I are considering exiting Shell Vacations Club. Our situation is very much like yours was. do you have any sugestions for us that you might have done differently? For instance, do we have to give up allour points to exit?

About how long is the exit process?

Thanks in advance! Steve

Stephen S.
Dec 27, 2018

Well, I wish I would have used up the 8,000 point I still had because once you initiate the process you must stop using the points. Although, I had a reservation that interval had already removed the points from shell so they couldn’t do anything about that becasoe they were already “spent”. Soooo, make some reservations in interval and spend the points first. I was afraid to wait and miss the window of opportunity to get out while I could and there weren’t any other places I could think of to reserve on the fly and pay the $179 transfer fee so I just gave them up. It was quite easy though. It took a week to get the emailed papers and like a month to hear anything back but it worked and I’m feee! Good luck to you!

Kathy H.
Dec 27, 2018

Thank you for the information and we will be sure to book the interval points ASAP. Best to you and glad you are free! We'll be there soon too.

Stephen S.
Jan 02, 2019

Would love to exit SVC. How do I even start?

JH
Jan 02, 2019

janiceh289 wrote:
Would love to exit SVC. How do I even start?

Just make a direct call to Wyndham at 1-855-312-9040. It's just plain that easy.

Stu M.
Jan 02, 2019

Definitely interested in how to help my 92 year old mother in law exit this program

kyliec wrote:
We have been talking to Wyndham about their new program, Ovation, which was quietly announced to Wyndham owners a few weeks ago. The company isn't offering concrete details, but appears they are ready to customize exit solutions for their owners who no longer use their timeshares.

Jeff Weir has written an informative article for us with much more detail on this topic. Read about the initial introduction of the Ovation program here... and the Ovation update nearly a year later here.

IF YOU ARE A WYNDHAM OWNER, interested in what solutions Wyndham will offer to you, take us along for the ride! We would love to follow several owners as they contact Wyndham for a solution to see whether this program is all they are claiming it to be. If you're interested, please post here and Jeff will follow up with you.

Nannette S.
Jan 04, 2019

True - it is that easy. I have been exploring how to exit or sell SVC, etc. The brokers I have talked with have advised "walk away!" :)

I called Wyndham Ovation yesterday and here is what I learned: 1) All reservation activity either needs to be cancelled or completed. They won't even send you the paperwork until that happens. 2) If you pay the maintenance fees in advance (rather than month by month), none of that will be refunded. 3) All financials need to be current and paid up.

Other than those things, at the moment it really is that simple. Since I pay the maintenance fees annually rather than monthly, I have decided to wait until the reservation I have in April is completed - then I may start the paperwork just in case they decide to discontinue the program.

One of the brokers I spoke with posited that they have this program because SVC had just gotten "too crowded" and it was an easy way for them to get less users - so then they can sell more, haha.

JH
Jan 04, 2019

Thanx for your post regarding your experience with this program. I would like to know what happens when you ask them again after using your current years reservation. I was told that all fees had to be paid and all points had to be available for the current use year as well. I am therefore planning to change our fee payment method to MONTHLY for next years' fees, then requesting the paperwork to bail.

Francis W.
Jan 04, 2019

This past summer I did exit Wyndham using the Ovation program. First of all make sure your maintenance fees are current, and you do own your timeshare free & clear, all paid for. When I called them, I was referred to 5 real estate companies in Florida. I picked one and the sale was handled through them the way one would be selling a piece of a deeded real property with an actual escrow company. I paid NO upfront fees & actually received a check for $1500 after deducting closing costs & their commission (quite normal in any sale of property). My timeshare was deeded which made it much easier to sell. The downside is I had 234,000 points built up with RCI & failed to have any reservations already in the works, so I ended up losing that, but, I no longer have any timeshare worries & my piece of mind knowing I am out of this was far more important. My timeshare was at the Grand Desert in Las Vegas which is a very popular destination and that may have helped expedite the sale. I would have to look at my records, it was probably 2 months for all the paperwork to be completed back in forth. If you have any questions you may contact me at jl3156b@aol.com.

Jim H.
Jan 05, 2019

I was not told that about all use year points having to be available and I've never read that on this site. Since they accept Ovation turn-backs all year long that doesn't make sense.

Lolli S.
Jan 05, 2019

Once I contacted them and started the process they disconnected me from the website and it said in the agreement they sent me that I had to stop using my points

Kathy H.
Jan 11, 2019

We entered into the Ovation program late last year and it was very simple. What they don't tell you about the 3 years of points use is that it is limited to a few resorts. You cannot use the points for Worldmark nor the Pass program, so you are limited to just a few resorts on the West coast area. You also cannot have guests use your unit without you, like you could before.

kyliec wrote:
We have been talking to Wyndham about their new program, Ovation, which was quietly announced to Wyndham owners a few weeks ago. The company isn't offering concrete details, but appears they are ready to customize exit solutions for their owners who no longer use their timeshares.

Jeff Weir has written an informative article for us with much more detail on this topic. Read about the initial introduction of the Ovation program here... and the Ovation update nearly a year later here.

IF YOU ARE A WYNDHAM OWNER, interested in what solutions Wyndham will offer to you, take us along for the ride! We would love to follow several owners as they contact Wyndham for a solution to see whether this program is all they are claiming it to be. If you're interested, please post here and Jeff will follow up with you.

Diane K.
Jan 11, 2019

dianek92 wrote:
We entered into the Ovation program late last year and it was very simple. What they don't tell you about the 3 years of points use is that it is limited to a few resorts. You cannot use the points for Worldmark nor the Pass program, so you are limited to just a few resorts on the West coast area. You also cannot have guests use your unit without you, like you could before..

We got a very nice directory of Wyndham properties all over the USA from which to choose -- from Oceanside to Myrtle Beach. We did "Ovate" nearly three years ago, but I'd have to assume that the Wyndham properties in that directory are still available to all Ovation participants who get "free" points. I'd suggest you call Wyndham/Ovation and ask for the directory.

Stu M.
Jan 11, 2019

dianek92 wrote:
We entered into the Ovation program late last year and it was very simple. What they don't tell you about the 3 years of points use is that it is limited to a few resorts. You cannot use the points for Worldmark nor the Pass program, so you are limited to just a few resorts on the West coast area. You also cannot have guests use your unit without you, like you could before.

You may indeed have guests WITHOUT you present. Just a few days ago I called to put an existing reservation in my son's name so he and his family can use it this coming June.

Stu M.
Jan 12, 2019

I think the key here is an existing reservation. As I understand it you can't make a new reservation with a guest checking in.

Gary B.
Jan 12, 2019

garyb756 wrote:
I think the key here is an existing reservation. As I understand it you can't make a new reservation with a guest checking in.

That's ANOTHER reason to get out from under Wyndham and their capricious rules and outlandish fees. We got out nearly three years ago and the reservation we made for our son and his family is the LAST dealing we'll EVER have with Wyndham.

Stu M.
Jan 17, 2019

everything with wyndham is a scam. The ovation scheme does not return your investment back, just saves you from maintenance fees. I used 227000 points to get a very shady apt in melbourne which was not even worth 350USD. The RCI free 2 week certificate given to me was only valid for most remote locations in Europe. every transaction takes 59$. maintenance fees keep going up every year. I cannot use my bonus points in maui. The points dont take care of fees,. So many hidden points in the contract. This is utter crap. Pl. dont buy wyndham timeshares

joa102 wrote:
I am also definitely interested in this program. Thanks, Jo Ann

Pakya K.
Jan 17, 2019

pakyak wrote:
This is utter crap. Pl. dont buy wyndham timeshares.

I wouldn't say "Please don't buy Wyndham timeshares." There are many happy Wyndham owners. They just knew what to buy and probably bought resale rather than at those stupid sales presentations. And they probably did a lot of research first.

I would say buy resale if you are going to buy and do your research first. Take time to really analyze your travel needs and circumstances. For instance, there are many satisfied owners at Grandview Las Vegas because it has a very good point-to maintenance fee ratio. You have to remember too that many satisfied owners have the ability to plan travel 10-12 months ahead of time which allows them to make very good use of their points.

I understand your frustration in that you probably paid tens of thousands of dollars to buy from Wyndham and then Wyndham comes back appearing gracious by saying "We will take your unit back for free from you if you want." But that does not necessarily mean to avoid buying Wyndham (if it's resale).

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.