Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Timeshare Industry Veteran Tells All

Mar 24, 2017

BBB rating means absolutely nothing. Many scam companies have A ratings with them . NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract. It's one of the most frequent scams in the business . Contact your home resort and ask them to take it back. I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 that way. You can negotiate your own exit from your timeshare. Make a few phone calls and make sure you get in touch with the party that handles the titles. They may ask you to pay for the next years maintenance fees to give them time to find a new owner. Good luck and come back and let us know if it worked for you .

Don P.
Mar 24, 2017

maureen233 wrote:
Have you heard of All Seasons Travel group? And if a group has an A plus rating on BBB does that mean anything?

I've never heard of ASTG. How did you find out about them? What are they offering to do for you? How much are they going to charge?

If you "want to get out", then you will have to find a willing buyer or taker of your timeshare. You can try listing it for sale here on RedWeek. Or you can try other reputable web sites such as My Resort Network, E-Bay, Craigslist, or Timeshare Users Group (aka"TUG"). Make sure you list your sale price competitively. Most timeshares are worth about zero dollars on the resale market but some in Maui might have some resale value.

And as Don P said above, a good rating with the BBB means very little. Many of these timeshare resale scam operations have BBB ratings.

Lance C.
Mar 24, 2017

They will buy it. I pay title fees and transfer fees for about 1,000. As you stated this may be a scam. I have contacted of two of my timeshares and both said not to buying/ taking it back. So when I call again should I just say take the title back. The All Seasons travel group is from Spencer Tenn. They do have a travel program, which is really what they wanted me to do, but I was adamant that I do not want any new type of travel programs I just want to get rid of mine. Thanks for your prompt response.

Maureen W.
Mar 25, 2017

maureen233 wrote:
They will buy it. I pay title fees and transfer fees for about 1,000.

If you are the one paying the title and transfer fees, then you choose the closing company to do this. If ASTG insist on using their choice of closing company then I would be leery.

Lance C.
Mar 25, 2017

maureen233 wrote:
They will buy it. I pay title fees and transfer fees for about 1,000. As you stated this may be a scam. I have contacted of two of my timeshares and both said not to buying/ taking it back. So when I call again should I just say take the title back. The All Seasons travel group is from Spencer Tenn. They do have a travel program, which is really what they wanted me to do, but I was adamant that I do not want any new type of travel programs I just want to get rid of mine. Thanks for your prompt response.

No, they WON'T "buy" your timeshare. They will just take your money and disappear forever. This frankly has scam written all over it.

If you are the seller, then you should only RECEIVE money, not PAY money. A smart seller will insist upon using an independent, disinterested, third party closing entity to handle escrow of all funds. If the seller is paying closing costs, that should only involve the seller paying a very few hundred dollars DIRECTLY AND ONLY to the closing company of SELLER identification. Don't fall for this very obvious scam by a completely unknown entity. Forewarned is forearmed.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 25, 2017 10:14 AM

Mar 27, 2017

I agree with Ken . The only thing they want is your upfront money. These scams have been going around in here forever. You have a better chance of winning the Nigerian Lottery then having these bottom feeders get you out of your contract .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Mar 27, 2017 07:48 AM

Apr 10, 2017

Your message is absolutely correct! I just paid $250 to give back my timeshare to my resort company. That was better than the $900 maintenance fee for the year so I was happy to just be done with it!

Joyce M.
Apr 11, 2017

joycem325 wrote:
I just paid $250 to give back my timeshare to my resort company. That was better than the $900 maintenance fee for the year so I was happy to just be done with it!

You are very fortunate. No resort is ever OBLIGATED to accept deedbacks. Some that will agree to do so will first require 1, 2 (even 3) years' worth of maintenance fees to be paid upfront before the HOA will agree to accept a "feedback". Be grateful for your good fortune.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 11, 2017 08:48 AM

Apr 11, 2017

I am grateful That Amber Resorts does this! Wyndham now has an "Ovations" Program that I'm considering turning back my week at Sea Gardens Beach Resort in Pompano Beach, FL.

Joyce M.

Last edited by joycem325 on Apr 11, 2017 01:46 PM

Apr 11, 2017

The message here is that you have nothing to lose by contacting your home resort and asking them to take it back. What amazes me is the people that will pay thousands of dollars to someone they " heard about " on the internet or some other source that claims they can get you out of your contract.

I was able to get rid of two timeshares with deed backs but I was prepared to get them out of my name with or without their assistance. They have no shame when they market their product to entice people who are in a euphoric state while enjoying a vacation . Then they outright lie to people to get them to sign on the dotted line. I had no guilt in using any means to get out of my contract as long as I didn't break any laws.

My advice to anyone that really wants to get rid of their timeshare is to make it your priority to get rid of it and don't stop until it's done .

Don P.
May 07, 2017

I have 2 timeshares that are "paid off" just paying maintenance fees. I have used them as much as I will need to. What is the best way to sell these. ? Thank you.

Christine M.
May 08, 2017

christinem469 wrote:
I have 2 timeshares that are "paid off" just paying maintenance fees. I have used them as much as I will need to. What is the best way to sell these. ? Thank you.

Your timeshares may or may not actually have any value or demand in the resale market. You will first have to do some research on your own to make that determination.

If your intervals have any value or demand in the resale market, RedWeek is a great site on which to advertise once you have identified a fair and realistic price from your research.

Whatever you do, NEVER pay ANYONE a penny "upfront" to (supposedly) "help" you part with your timeshares. There is an entire "cottage industry" of upfront fee parasites and scammers who will ultimately do NOTHING for you --- except to gladly take your money. There is an old saying that "A fool and his money are soon parted". Don't be a fool.

If your timeshares are essentially worthless in the resale market, contact your resort Homeowners Assn (in writing), to inquire if they will accept a "deedback". Most won't, but some will (as long as your fees are fully paid up to date). You won't know until and unless you reach and ask the RIGHT people (which means do NOT just call and ask a desk clerk answering the phones, who has absolutely no decision-making authority in the matter in the first place). Submit your "deedback" request IN WRITING to the resort HOA President. Understand very clearly that you CANNOT just initiate a "deedback" on your own; it requires the overtly expressed consent and "acceptance" of the HOA; lawful "deedback" is a two way street and it is NOT something that you can just decide (or initiate) unilaterally, on your own.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 08, 2017 11:04 AM

May 15, 2017

What happens if the owner dies. Does the contract go to his beneficiaries?

Cheuk L.
May 15, 2017

cheukl wrote:
What happens if the owner dies. Does the contract go to his beneficiaries?

That depends on if it is a Right to Use (RTU; usually in Mexico) or a deeded property.

If it's a deeded property, the owner's estate still owns it and it is up to the executor of the will or someone appointed by him to find a new taker for the timeshare. His best bet would be to contact the resort's Homeowners' Association and mention that the owner has passed, then ask if the HOA can take it back.

But to clarify on huge misconception, the late owner's heirs or beneficiaries are not obligated to accept an unwanted timeshare. That is a line that many of these Get out of your timeshare companies use to scare owners into using their services.

Lance C.
May 16, 2017

lancec13 wrote:
But to clarify on huge misconception, the late owner's heirs or beneficiaries are not obligated to accept an unwanted timeshare. That is a line that many of these Get out of your timeshare companies use to scare owners into using their services.

Absolutely correct. Unless a surviving family member is actually and literally NAMED on the underlying deed (not a good idea), then surviving family members can simply "disclaim" the inheritance of a timeshare. They do NOT have to accept it or its' associated obligations.

The many assorted and useless, upfront fee "exit / release / escape / relief" companies always try to paint a very different picture for their own financial gain, but they are essentially just lying as a scare / sales tactic to peddle their alleged "services".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 16, 2017 04:24 AM

May 17, 2017

My husband and I would love to hear more of your story. We bought into Wyndham Vacations. We want out. Its costing too much money. We would love to hear more of your advice. Is it possible to talk off the forum? We want out and have talked to several people. They appeared to be scams. Thank you so much rgentle76

Rhonda G.
May 17, 2017

IF your Wyndham ownership is fully paid off and IF you have no outstanding unpaid fees, you can ask Wyndham if they will take it back under their "Ovation" program. If accepted (no guarantees; they don't take back everything) you won't pay (or receive) a penny --- but you will be "out" of your Wyndham ownership obligations forever. To learn more directly from Wyndham , call them at 855-312-9040 to inquire if you would be eligible for "Ovation".

markd696 wrote:
We bought into Wyndham Vacations. We want out. Its costing too much money.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 17, 2017 05:25 AM

Dec 31, 2020

Good info, I am looking at selling my Shadow Ridge CA deeded property. Marriott offered me 12K years ago, now I think they offered to sell it for 6k and they would keep 1/2. They have changed... I was looking at Redweek to handle everything and sell it. Thanks again, Tom

Tom E.
Jan 02, 2021

I'm still trying to figure out how Marriott Vacation Club gets by with devaluing our timeshares to next to nothing. And, then touting vacation club points as having so much value???

An example: a platinum season Newport Coast resale can be had for about $9,000 at purchase with $1,400 in annual maintenance fees. Using points, this same week can be reserved for 4,700 points which would cost over $50,000 at purchase with $2,820 in annual maintenance fees.

The points carry a heavy premium for the mere incremental privilege of exchanging into other resorts for points. By the way, one can easily rent out the Newport Coast week for cash and use the cash to rent a week at another resort. The question, are points really a better currency than cash???

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jan 04, 2021 04:24 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.