Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

how long it takes to actually sell a timeshare?

Jul 13, 2019

Couldn’t sell my Hawaii TS and was happy to have been able to give it away . I will pay this years MF and all closing costs . Now I need to give away my even year Hawaii TS that doesn’t have user rights until 2022 as I rented it out for 2020. Once again I’ll be paying all costs and MF until. 2021

I say congrats to people who’ve been able to sell theirs as it’s not easy

R. S.
Jun 24, 2020

Hello,

Just posted on RedWeek, but has anyone had prior luck selling on any of the other sites mentioned -- tstoday.com, myresortnetwork.com, or tug2.net ?

Thanks!

Daphne L.
Jun 24, 2020

Never pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract ! That being said there are a few reputable sites to advertise on including TUG and Redweek . Just don't fall for upfront money scam . Just pay to advertise and handle the rest yourself .

Don P.
Dec 15, 2020

Did you ever find somewhere to sell your week with Pacific Palasedes. I am trying to sell mine with the same resort.

Thanks Karen

Karen F.
Dec 21, 2020

I once owned 2 timeshare weeks at a resort in the Orlando area. One was week 2 and the other week 25. My asking price was $0. I never got a nibble on the first one and it was posted for a whole year. The other sold in a few months.

Paul J.

Last edited by paul974 on Dec 21, 2020 07:34 PM

Dec 22, 2020

It's all about the resort, location, season and supply vs. demand.

Unit size is also a factor to some extent. A studio-size unit is essentially useless to a family, since it provides too little space and too few beds. Likewise, a retired older couple likely has no interest in the size (or the more expensive maintenance fees) of a 2-3 BR unit.

Timeshares in Orlando, FL (and / or Branson, MO) are literally "a dime a dozen", so supply always far exceeds the demand in those places. This is why many timeshares in those particular locations are easily found being offered for free, often with the owner offering to pay all closing costs and transfer fees (and sometimes even providing additional incentive, such as the owner pre-paying the next years' maintenance fees, or offering a pre-paid gift card, etc.).

In short, the pot may have to be "sweetened" to get rid of any low demand timeshare that few people want to pay anything to acquire.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 26, 2020 07:42 AM

Dec 23, 2020

RE: Just posted on RedWeek, but has anyone had prior luck selling on any of the other sites mentioned -- tstoday.com, myresortnetwork.com, or tug2.net ?

We have sold several timeshare weeks, floating and fixed, in Southern California on/near the water. We posted ads on Redweek and MyResortNetwork and T.U.G. Zero response from T.U.G. Did not try TimeSharing Today. Sold at least one via Redweek but several via MyResortNetwork. We always figured it would take a l-o-o-o-n-g time to find a buyer, so we always bought the ads for a full year. Every couple of months or so we'd reduce the price. Eventually all of them sold. It was always a waiting game....

Stu M.

Last edited by markl18 on Dec 23, 2020 07:34 AM

Jun 17, 2021

What are the typical real estate commission fees once a buyer is found from red week advertising to actually bring it to closure?

Robert L.
Jun 17, 2021

robertl1366 wrote:
What are the typical real estate commission fees once a buyer is found from red week advertising to actually bring it to closure?

Total CLOSING COSTS AND FEES in California for escrow, "resort transfer fee" (aka highway robbery), and county fees ran about $1000. Sometimes $800. Sometimes $1100. Title insurance is optional and $2-300 extra/additional.

Stu M.

Last edited by markl18 on Jun 17, 2021 10:46 AM

Jun 17, 2021

Robert: If you are using RedWeek's full-service resale option, then you would pay 3% of the sales price or $399, whichever is greater, at the closing. We ask the buyer to pay all closing costs and transfer fees. You will find more information on the full-service resale option here: Full-Service Resales

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Jun 18, 2021

How long it takes to actually sell a timeshare? I'm going to be very honest here. I've been a member for several years, renting my timeshare a few times after a few years of doing exchanges. I now have just gone through the process of putting it up for sale. I signed up for the full service package, having them do everything for me. Well, this started the beginning if May and only yesterday did the unit get posted. Most of the problems I had to figure out myself as Redweek said in my case, Marriott wasn't getting back to them. But it went on and on. So many things. The person I've been given to work with seems to fight with any change I want to make. My unit is on the Ocean side or Gulf side and she puts Water side..well there are two pools that people consider water side. I paid more to own Oceanside! Plus this is an ad to 'sell' the unit so why the grief...isn't she working for me???? Just don't get it. Maybe I just got the wrong one or maybe they're not equipped to handle sales, I don't know.

Ann D.
Jun 19, 2021

annd205 wrote:
I now have just gone through the process of putting [my timeshare] up for sale. I signed up for the full service package, having them do everything for me. Well, this started the beginning if May and only yesterday did the unit get posted. Most of the problems I had to figure out myself ....

My 15 cents worth: Always Do It Yourself.

Stu M.
Jun 20, 2021

I can add that I did pay Redweek to handle the timeshare sales. The Week 25 sale was handled well by Redweek. The Week 2 one never got a nibble. Yes, it did take a month or so to get both timeshares posted. (Another poster on this thread complained about the time it took. Redweek does need to contact the company to verify ownership status, including the Week number, and that took time. I found the Sale painless and involved little effort on my part.) Beginning last year, I halted all payments on the unsold Week 2 and I haven't heard anything from the timeshare company. They turned over my account to Collections, so I do receive fortnightly phone calls (unanswered) from the Collection Agency.

Paul J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.