Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa

Looking forward to discussing Timeshares, especially WLR&S

May 19, 2007

I have usually banked my weeks with Interval International but there is still an exchange fee of £110 or whatever it is at the moment. The fee was also roughly the same if I exchanged a week there and then over the phone with Westgate Lakes. However, since the 'devaluation' of my particular week, exchanging to certain weeks with Westgate incurs a much higher fee (of around US$550 I believe it was)

Karen W.
May 27, 2007

nancyf77 wrote:
Watching with great hopes that there will be lots of conversation here.

Nancy

I keep receiving from Westgate resort the so called WestgateMAIL, an all-in-one access web mail, but in my opinion, correct me if I am wrong, it is all about more advertising for Westgate resorts through us owners, no benefit for the Westgate owner except reward points with "1 out of every 3 referrals becoming a Westgate Owner". Presently, that is becoming increasingly difficulty given the reputation Westgate has of being "too pushy". Personally, I would not advise anyone into investing on Westgate time shares unless they look into "sharing" the profits with the owners by doing what other time shares companies are doing that is: rental assistance to the owners. Also, in one of my exchanges vacations with Mariott, I liked very much their point system which I find very useful, it allows a owner to vacation in a big city by staying in a Mariott hotel for 2-3 days only without losing the remaining days of the week.

Justina J.
Aug 27, 2007

miriamj2 wrote:
nancyf77 wrote:
I have had ours listed here for 2500. for quite a while now. Hubby doesn't want me to spend any more listing it. Our yr membership is coming to an end, and no bites! Aargh. We are unable to use our week this year, so I am forced to bank w/ WG. When we are ready to use it, we will have the pleasure of paying them 130. extra!

I don't know what else to do. We already paid our maintenance fee this year, and will have a week banked. That makes me feel ill to put on ebay and sell for nothing to give it away. I am just stumped as to what to do.

What do you mean by "I am forced to bank w/ WG."? if we do not use our weeks, we usually deposit them with II, I have put an advertisement locally in the hope to rent, this is the first time I am doing something like this, I have not received any emails from noone after posting in the redweek. If nothing comes up, we will do as we always do, deposit our weeks with II in order not to loose them.

Ken M.
Aug 27, 2007

Hello, Sounds like a tough situation all around. I have rented twice at Westgate Lakes--from owners looking to sell..but I really have no interest. last rental for 6 nights was in a 3BR for just under $70/nightly. II recently solicited me for a rental here...but their prices were ridiculous..$200+/nightly. I'd maybe try to trade week somewhere else... Manhattan Club has worked.

Ken M.
Aug 28, 2007

ken974 wrote:
Hello, Sounds like a tough situation all around. I have rented twice at Westgate Lakes--from owners looking to sell..but I really have no interest. last rental for 6 nights was in a 3BR for just under $70/nightly. II recently solicited me for a rental here...but their prices were ridiculous..$200+/nightly. I'd maybe try to trade week somewhere else... Manhattan Club has worked.

Like I said before. It's all about pricing. If you don't get any replies at $2000 or more try $1000. It's not what someone led you to believe you could get, but in reality it's much closer to the fact. Also, thats better than losing it.

Sure you can deposit with II but if you dont have time or $ to trvavel this year there aren't any other options.

Louis S.

Last edited by wcfr1 on Aug 28, 2007 04:37 AM

Aug 28, 2007

wcfr1 wrote:
ken974 wrote:

Like I said before. It's all about pricing. If you don't get any replies at $2000 or more try $1000. It's not what someone led you to believe you could get, but in reality it's much closer to the fact. Also, thats better than losing it.

Sure you can deposit with II but if you dont have time or $ to trvavel this year there aren't any other options.

Ken M.
Aug 28, 2007

On rentals--I was talking about my renting WGL units from TS owners. I can't see owning any timeshare really--there is just too much inventory out there to rent at very, very good prices... Recently obtained an agreement with a Marriott Imperial Palms TS onwer (about 10 min. from WGL--closer to Disney) at $75/nightly--these are 3 BR townhomes!

Ken M.
Aug 30, 2007

ken974 wrote:
On rentals--I was talking about my renting WGL units from TS owners. I can't see owning any timeshare really--there is just too much inventory out there to rent at very, very good prices... Recently obtained an agreement with a Marriott Imperial Palms TS onwer (about 10 min. from WGL--closer to Disney) at $75/nightly--these are 3 BR townhomes!
==========

What time of year is your 3BR rental? MD

Mary D.
Aug 30, 2007

karenw150 wrote:
I have usually banked my weeks with Interval International but there is still an exchange fee of £110 or whatever it is at the moment. The fee was also roughly the same if I exchanged a week there and then over the phone with Westgate Lakes. However, since the 'devaluation' of my particular week, exchanging to certain weeks with Westgate incurs a much higher fee (of around US$550 I believe it was)
========

Are you in England? At which Westgate do you own? MD

Mary D.
Aug 30, 2007

What time of year is your 3BR rental? MD

I am NOT an owner--I only rent from owners...I know it can be confusing when reading some of the messages.. It's far more economical and choices are really unlimited. Last rental from an owner in Westgate Lakes (Turkey Lake Rd) was in May '07--2BR unit for only $71/nightly.. (stayed 6 nights). Marriott Imperial Palms (other side of I-4 and closer to WDW)..usually has fewer choices available, but owners are very flexible. Full use of World Marriott Center Hotel facilities also. I likke all of them at one time or another... Grand V ista was another rental from an owner--a 3BR for only $85/nightly.. All of these choices beat the annual maintenance fee and exchange fees, et. al....believe me!

Ken M.
Aug 31, 2007

Yes, I live in England and own a 3BR which can be split into a 2BR portion and a studio lock off, at Westgate Lakes, Orlando, week 44.

Karen W.
Aug 31, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
karenw150 wrote:
========

Are you in England? At which Westgate do you own? MD

Karen W.
Sep 01, 2007

Oops, sorry about the above

Karen W.
Sep 01, 2007

karenw150 wrote:

=== No, Karen, it was you not Ken that I was addressing. Guess we need to be more specific and also sign our posts. MD

Mary D.
Sep 02, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
karenw150 wrote:

=== No, Karen, it was you not Ken that I was addressing. Guess we need to be more specific and also sign our posts. MD

I realise that and also realise that we both answered your question on separate posts. I said 'oops, sorry' in my last post because the post above it, which just consisted of a previous quote and no writing from me, was an accident. Karen

Karen W.
Sep 21, 2010

I'm disgusted with Westgate, too. Maintenance fees keep going up. I can't sell at $25,000 unit for $5000 after two years. I don't know how the state of Florida can allow them to do this. Taxes have gone up as well. I guess the state of Florida is in bed with the timeshare. Love to have a group lawsuit.

Jerome S.
Sep 24, 2010

Karen, are you perhaps exchanging a White time week at a Westgate for a Red season week? (Or whatever colors they are using now!) I gather you are a Westgate owner. What makes you believe your week was "devalued"?

We own a White week and can only exchange it within Westgate for Red at a premium 30 days out. We have not done it. We did, however, swap our eary March at Westgate Branson for June in Westgate Park City, UT, through Interval. Maybe that IS White time in Utah, but we were happy. It costs $130 to exchange among Westgates. As you say, that isn't much better than using Interval. We, however, were originally GrandVista till it was bought out and we can still exchange among the original GrandVista free. MD

Mary D.
May 05, 2011

We have week 40 value even at West Gate Lakes. 3 bedroom lockoff. I was advised not to sell it just rent it. We tried selling it with several scam companies (out of despiration). What is the best way to go? I just read that if you deposit the week into interval international you could go any resort for an exchange fee. Could some body give a guide line on where to start. Thanks Laura

Laura K.
May 10, 2011

If you deposit a week you own with ANY exchange company, you can then go to any COMPARABLE property they have available during the times they have available. As the saying goes, "If it ain't there, you can't get it." Some prime locations and dates are very hard to get because the owners keep and use them. Why wouldn't they!?

Folks who can travel off season have a good chance of finding a satisfactory exchange. Those whose children's vacations limit when they can travel have much more difficulty. Many people are competing for a relatively limited number of units that exist for those weeks. Scam? No. Just a mathematical fact of life.

Laura, why did you buy the property you own? Did you expect to use it or exchange it? What has changed? MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on May 10, 2011 01:06 PM

May 19, 2011

Is anyone familiar with Property Broker Usa? They claim they will rent out your getaway weeks for $1200 each. Has anyone done this with them or any other company?

Mickey W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.