Report Abuse

Pandemic and cancellations...

[Q=debs224] I’m so sad to say that I have reached out to the vacation owner that we are renting from to cancel our spring break condo. Just wondering what my chances will be with either being able to re-book at a later date or be refunded? Going to be a hard pill to swallow if we can’t get something back from a 2300.00 a week stay 😢[/Q] No idea about ownership details (points / fixed week / floating week) but whatever it is I certainly hope that you have a formal, mutually signed rental agreement in which the terms and conditions relating to cancellations and refunds are very clearly and specifically addressed. Some rental agreements clearly state in writing that there will be no refunds under [b]any[/b] circumstances, often further overtly recommending that the prospective tenant purchase travel insurance / trip cancellation insurance to protect themselves from potential financial loss in the event that a rental "goes south" for reasons beyond travelers' control. If you executed no formal rental agreement at all, you are basically subject to the discretion / mercy of the owner (who still has a maintenance fee bill to pay by the way, whether their week is utilized or just sits there empty). I doubt that you will see much (if any) refund, unless the owner is willing to (...very generously) refund the amount you paid which is [b]above[/b] the amount of his/her actual maintenance fee bill. At this late date for a "spring break" week, the owner might not even be able to cancel the reservation and re-book it at all (depending on the "chain", its' reservation rules and the nature of the underlying ownership). If it's a deeded "fixed" week, the owner has [b]NO[/b] option to change the use to some alternative date. All that said, I hope some sort of accommodation can be made for you (and for the owner too) under these unusual circumstances in very difficult times. Good luck.