Report Abuse

Re: Epidemic

Marriott has fleeced its Legacy Owners as well. We had a week scheduled for mid-April at our home resort, booked a year ago, and air reservations to go with it. When our governor ordered a stay in place mandate two weeks ago, I immediately contacted Marriott explaining the unprecedented circumstances. I requested any fall week in exchange, at either my home resort or two comparable ones nearby, also Marriott. I got a terse reply that since I had not cancelled more than 60 days out (at which point this virus was not known to most of the US), they could not do more than offer an Interval International certificate, for which I would have to pay $89 to join Interval, another $99 when and if Interval could find me a fall week, and not even request a week until 120 days out. As a former II owner, I know the luck of getting a place as nice as my home resort is almost nill - I quit years ago after paying dues year after year for sub-standard exchanges, if any. For those lucky owners (now that they have had ample warning about the virus) whose week is more than 60 days out, Marriott will let them just turn their week back in and book another week later in the year through Marriott. When I braved the hour-long phone wait to talk to a phone rep, and then to a supervisor, she used the work "Legacy Owner" like it was reserved for the peons who didn't pay to buy into Destination Points, after already buying their week and liking what they'd bought! Even American Airlines had the decency to refund my economy tickets in full, as did the rental agencies with whom I had additional weeks after my Marriott week. I used to think the world of Marriott - no more.