Report Abuse

Re: How to get rid of a timeshare you no longer want ....

[Q=jennie] You are so TOTALLY WRONG about the Timeshare Users Group "TUG" (http:www.tug2.net). That web site has the most accurate information on the Internet about every aspect of timesharing. If people had read all the honest information at TUG, they would not be here asking how to get rid of an undesirable timeshare. I have been a member of TUG since 1995. I purchased a week at a very mediocre "resort" in Orlando from the developer at an exorbitant price. Of course I didn't know that at the time. The sales people were as slick then as they are today. When I returned home, hubby had set up our first computer, and during my first visit to the Internet, I searched for information about timeshares and found my way to TUG. I learned enough in 10 minutes to know that I had made a big mistake in Orlando. I was able to rescind the purchase and then took my time learning more about the industry before gradually buying resale weeks. We own 15 weeks and use them extensively. Because we learned from TUG which weeks and resorts are the most desirable, we have been able to exchange into marvelous timeshares all over the world (e.g. each of the major Hawaiian islands, east and west Germany, Denmark, Paris, London, Rome, the south of France, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Aruba, the Bahamas, Canada, California, Las Vegas, etc...). We have been able to live the dream that those slick salespeople try to sell to all of the people who attend timeshare presentations. And most of our weeks were purchased for $2500. or less. We also use them ourselves many times (Cape Cod in the summer, southeast Florida and Cancun in the winter). Anyone can access the bulletin boards for free. A $15. per year membership fee gives you access to thousands of reviews of timeshare properties all over the world. The reviews are written by people like you and I who say as much or as little as they wish about their stay at any timeshare, either as an owner, renter, or exchange guest. I wouldn't rent a week or accept an exchange without first reading the reviews here. There have been several TUG get togethers planned by members on their own. I have attended several of them and have met wonderful timeshare owners from all over the country, even some from Europe and Australia. Many people own multiple timeshare weeks and are enjoying them immensely because they had gained enough knowledge from TUG to know what to buy and at what price. I can assure you that these people are not salespeople. Most developers and timeshare salespeople "hate" TUGgers because they know we are too well informed to fall victim to all their shenanigans. TUG does not allow any advertising, however low-key or informal, to be posted on the bulletin boards/forums. I am President of the Greater New York Timeshare Owners Group (run totally by volunteerss with no ulterior motives other than to share information and help each other). We communicate with other owner groups across the country. Most of our members are TUG members as well and we all love the web site. I always tell people that I received the equivalent of a PhD. in timesharing from the tons of hours I have spent at this web site over the past 11 years.[/Q] Hi Jennie..how can I get in touch with you? I am a New Yorker from Upstate and eager to learn about all this! Thanks.