Report Abuse

Re: WALK AWAY FROM TIMESHARE

[Q=kathleeng155] Is it true that I don’t need to inherit the timeshare if my name is not on the deed? I never signed anything so I couldn’t be on there if I didn’t sign correct? Can you elaborate on walking away? The company will not take it back. Tks! Do you have experience with companies who assist is dissolving the contract? I’m worried about the timeshare co going after my parents assets. [/Q] It is absolutely true that you can simply "disclaim" any unwanted timeshare inheritance, as long as your name is not [b]already[/b] on the deed. However, it is NOT necessarily correct (nor wise to assume) that your name is not already on a deed just because you "never signed anything". In the vast majority of states, only GRANTORS sign deeds, not GRANTEES. Also, since you mention your parents, consider the possibility that your parents could have added your name to their deed; you would NOT have had to sign anything for that to happen. Are you [b]certain[/b] that your parents did not put your name on the deed somewhere along the way, thereby making you a co-owner? Some people have put their children's name(s) on timeshare deed(s), without the children's advance knowledge or consent, thinking ([b]very[/b] incorrectly and unwisely) that they are doing a "good deed". Although done with good intentions, it is not a "good deed" at all if / when it turns out years later that the offspring want nothing whatsoever to do with the timeshare, but still discover (to their surprise and chagrin) that they are already a co-owner, legally responsible for any and all current and future associated obligations. Each and every named "grantee" on a deed is a equal co-owner, like it or not. You would well advised to assume [b]nothing[/b] and instead obtain a copy of the recorded deed and verify with certainty the "grantee" name(s) on the deed. DO NOT waste ANY time or money on entities claiming to be able to "dissolve" a timeshare contract. A contract is a binding, valid legal instrument which cannot just be magically "dissolved". Contract termination requires the full mutual agreement of BOTH parties to the contract. You can always choose to just "walk away" (in breach of contract, which may or may not have negative credit report consequences), but the whole idea of anyone unilaterally "dissolving the contract" is just a pipe dream that will never come true.