Report Abuse

blog-5233

Though I sympathize with those who rented out their time to paying guests, if you cannot provide what you contractually promised (a resort stay with resort amenities) you simply must refund the guests. I, myself, was due to visit Hawaii this summer for a family reunion. I rented 3 condos at the same Marriott resort for the week of August 1-8. I kept calling the resort to check on the status. The resort manager finally told me that even if the resort did open up on August 1, I would likely not be able to use the pools, gym, recreation facilities, etc. I booked and paid for a resort so that I would have the amenities described in the listing, not just a condo to sleep in. I contacted the 3 different individuals that I rented from a month ago and they all cancelled their respective reservations and were given a credit. Two of them sent me a refund. The third one stated he would book me another week for next year, though that hasn't yet happened. I am now going to politely request that he refund the $3,200 I paid him last November. While there was no mention in any of the agreements about pandemic or natural disasters, the bottom line is that we had an agreement: I give them money, they give me what was described in their ad. Just like if I failed to pay them in full, I would not be fulfilling my end of our agreement, they aren't fulfilling their end if I don't get the full resort usage I paid for. I suspect that future agreements will include clauses that clearly outline how such situations will be handled.