Report Abuse

Re: New points based Global Access and RCI points

Im no expert, but durring my recent tour/purchase in Dec. the impression I got was that OL owners will have "First dibs" on trades inside Orange lake. However I'm sure there will always be a decent amount of inventory left to go to RCI as the percentage of people that trade out is fairly high. For what it's worth.... I own a 2BR in the West Village and also just bought in River Island. It is true that the resorts are devided up now and will have different values. If you go on RCI's website OL River Island resort has it's own code and page with the point values listed. I didn't check for the others but I would guess they are there as well. You are correct that a West village 2 BR would not trade evenly for a 2 BR in River Island. Although I loose out on my West village 2 BR as far as point value, it's hard to argue with the logic seeing that the people who buy in River Island are paying A LOT for those units. Not to mention the higher maintenance fees. I'm sure no one would buy there if they thought they could buy resale in one of the other villages and just trade into the newer vaillages at will. The other big change is that the whole year is not the same value as it was with "Weeks" where all were "RED". Higher point values are assigned to higher demand times of the year. It seems to me that this point system is a sneaky way to "un-level" the playing field. In other words they will do away with you being able to trade a 15 year old red week 2 bedroom for a premium new 2br in an other resort as if they were of equal value. This will force owners to exchange their units for like-value units, or save up there points and travel every other year to trade up. One other interesting sales tactic is that there are "Tiers" of ownership. Owning more points moves you up to several differnt levels, with benefits at each level. I can't remember them all, but one nice benefit they dole out is that at a certain level you get an automatic upgrade to the next size unit. In other words, if you reserve a 2 BR, they will give you a 3 BR for the same point value. Not a bad deal if it actually pans out. - hope all this helps